Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you think Derpy is overrated?

~Scootaloo

56 users have voted

1. 1. Derpy is overrated: yay or nay?

• yay
    • nay

• 3 months later...

Nope. Derpy is a fantastic character. She's unique and relatable to a lot of her fans. She's adorable and clumsy yet not repetitive or flandarized. Just because her role is a side/background character doesn't mean she doesn't deserve the praise and fanfare that she receives. "Character" doesn't always come in prominent roles. The little subtle things (such as Derpy's eyes) make a huge difference between likability and irrelevancy

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

In principle, I use the term "overrated" when I exhaust my attempts to try to decipher just why a popular opinion is popular and just can't understand why others like something I don't. It's always subjective and a matter of opinion. I wouldn't treat it as an objective matter in any way.

Derpy is a sort of icon of what this fandom does. MLP leaves a lot of gaps in its writing, even on things more important to its world. Naturally, fans create theories and fanfiction to fill those holes. There are some franchises where every character, down to the backgrounds, have at least an official 2-page backstory on themselves on some wiki somewhere. MLP doesn't do that, thus fans who crave that kind of thing will fill in the blanks. The way in which we do it as a community and rally around singular collective interpretations of characters seems to be somewhat unique among fandoms.

Derpy is one of the first characters we did that with, along with others like Vinyl Scratch, the Doctor, Bon Bon, Lyra, and Octavia.

In reference to the question, Derpy is an amazing fan character. But, to be completely honest, I could care less about her in canon. Unlike some fans, I keep the fan and canon versions of the characters separate. It's nice that the crew of the show is referencing the fan versions of these characters, but there are numerous better characters in the show it could be focusing on. In the show, Derpy is effectively a gag character, and I tend to prefer characters with depth. So my answer isn't yes or no, it's a little bit of both.

The fans can do what they want with her, but I wouldn't expect a lot about her from the show. There are characters in the secondary cast more worthy of character development and screentime than the backgrounds that haven't gotten any in a few seasons.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 2

She's a character that many people like, and many people don't.  The word 'overrated' doesn't really apply.  There is no unit of measurement for her popularity, or process of measuring the same, which has been misapplied to make her seem more popular than she should be.

If you like her, that's your choice.  If you don't like her, that is also your choice.  But to suggest that someone who likes her, is in some way wrong to like her, is nothing short of nonsense.

People will have their favourites, and their reasons for such are their own.  Derpy is no more over or under rated than any other character.

The word "overrated" is overrated...

I don't care about Derpy... Like her or dislike her, whatever floats your boat. I'll always spare my emotion investment for those characters in which I am given time enough for it to be worthwhile to invest my emotions in.

The rest... is silence.

I would avoid the word "overrated" but I do think she gets a little more attention than she warrants. I have zero love or hate for the character, but really she's just an animation mistake that has been taken too far. Like it was cute when it was a "where's waldo?" kind of joke, but it's gotten to a level of ridiculous...

As for what she represents to the fanbase, she is fine I guess, but as an actual character I can't say that I care much for her.

There are much better characters in this show with actual 3 dimensional personalities for me to care about, rather than the background ponies.

Plus even if I like Slice of Life, I find it sad that background props that are used to fill out crowd shots that this fanbase obsesses over got an episode before someone like Celestia who is in desperate need for development nowadays.

Hey don't get me wrong, I like Derpy! She's pretty cool! But she's really nopony to be too flipped over. She's still a BG pony, and quite frankly, she's stealing the spotlight from other BG ponies that wanna get out there.

I"m visually impared so I wasn't really on board with dierpy at first. I mean she okay and her appernace onthe show have been okay since then. I do find the name Muffins pretty cute. Although her being dumb in people interpitation really miffs me to my core.  Al lthe bakcgorund ponies get more attetion then the mane six it seems...why cuase they are blank slates?

Al lthe bakcgorund ponies get more attetion then the mane six it seems...why cuase they are blank slates?

It is precisely because the background ponies are blank slates that they are so popular.  The fandom is free to project whatever characteristics they want onto them, and it's not just Derpy, that goes equally for Vinyl Scratch, Lyra, Sweetie Drops, Dr. Whooves and all the others.

It is precisely because the background ponies are blank slates that they are so popular.  The fandom is free to project whatever characteristics they want onto them, and it's not just Derpy, that goes equally for Vinyl Scratch, Lyra, Sweetie Drops, Dr. Whooves and all the others.

I dont knwo just fele liek pandering when they cameo Vinyle or lyra nad bon bon together . .although that just me , still not fan of BG ponies rather focus on actual cast members.  That be like giving a whole show to the cabbage merchant in Avatar

I think all of the background characters are overrated. That's just the nature of a minor character everyone loves. They are unimportant to the show in almost every way except that they add atmosphere to the background, but people always find something about them they like.

Nothing wrong with that. If people like a character, no matter how minor they are, that's great. Actually, the only real development we have for Derpy is in "Slice of Life", which wouldn't have happened if people hadn't latched on to background characters.