Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you really care about what people think about you?

Sir.Flutter Hooves

I personally don't hide that I'm a brony, but I do care to a certain extent. I don't have any reason to expect a negative reaction to being a brony. Most of the people I'm close to are either bronies themselves or are used to my love of animation. I don't usually have problems with being picked on. I try not to hide who I am. 

I can understand why people wouldn't want to tell others. Some of the bronies I know keep it quiet around certain people, and I can't really fault them for it. It would create more trouble than it's worth for them. For instance, it's sad that some bronies parents wouldn't understand, but if their parents are going to have a negative reaction, then why bring it upon themselves? Or why give more fuel to bullies who love to torment them? I can understand not wanting to be too open about it to save some grief. 

"What? You Like Ponies? Ew, you are stupid."

"You're a girl and you're majoring in computers. Computers aren't for girls, stupid."

"Tony Stewart is your favorite NASCAR driver? I hate you already." 

^These and some other comments/opinions I got in the past year. Am I affected by those? Does it change who I am? No. Not at all. I don't care what everyone thinks of me. I like what I am. I'm not going to change who I am just because of what society thinks of me. If I want to be a computer geek, I can. If I want to like NASCAR, I can...which makes me the only person in town to like the sport, but that's not really the point. People around me (even in college) smirk about my interests. judging me of my interests, my fandoms, my...everything, making me think that I have to follow a certain criteria in order to fit in. Fuck that. I want to be what I choose to be. My life, not yours. 

• Brohoof 4

I guess it's technically possible not to care about what others think about you, but it's going to be very hard not to when you live in modern society. I was going to say something like "lol I don't care what others think about me" but then I realized that I actually brag about how weird I am and how much i don't care because somewhere deep down inside I guess I'm trying to be viewed as some fun guy who doesn't care.

Sure. I try not to but I worry about it plenty. I'm socially insecure, that's how it goes.

Although I'm way more concerned about whether people will accept me and like me as a person, than what they think of my being a brony.

I guess it's technically possible not to care about what others think about you, but it's going to be very hard not to when you live in modern society. I was going to say something like "lol I don't care what others think about me" but then I realized that I actually brag about how weird I am and how much i don't care because somewhere deep down inside I guess I'm trying to be viewed as some fun guy who doesn't care.

I don't know why, but this post touched me. Maybe it's the line that says "I guess I'm trying to be viewed as some guy who doesn't care". I just like that alot for some reason. Just thought you should know that.

/)

• Brohoof 1

Not so much with this particular subject, but I would like to play devil's advocate and say that sometimes, it takes other people to point out flaws in yourself, and if you act like a jerk, yes, people will think you are a jerk, and yes, it would probably be beneficial for you to care what they think in this instance. 

As stubborn and as reluctant as I can sometimes be to admit when I am wrong I am of course still grateful for the people in my life that do this with me. A good example of course is my mother who can be somewhat of a nag at times, but she does it because she does care about me. As for people outside this category I point them to my previous statement.

• Brohoof 1

I do to an extent.

On one hand, I get very upset if someone I consider a friend and/or a good person dislikes me for one reason or another. I also go to great lengths to apologize to such people if I've offended them in any way. In general I do a lot of preemptive apologizing, fearing that I will offend others.

On the other hand, I could care less about offending those who are flagrantly opposed to me on a very short list of issues along with trolls and other bullies. I've accepted that some people will hate me just because I was born this way or in that country, that my hair is one color and my skin another. That's all given, so I won't be trying to make friends with Hezbollah or the Klan. It's only the good people who I want liking me.

People I don't care about? I try not to care about what they think of me. People I do care about? I do a little bit. I try to bring. Out the best in me when I'm around people I care about.

Honestly, yes, but not so much with this particular subject. The thoughts of some matter (or affect) me more than others (friends over acquaintances). I try not to let it get to me though. I've come to terms with myself a long time ago; I like what I like and I do what I want to (within reason) but I'd be lying if I said that I don't think about how others might see me and, on some level, that affects how I act. 

Edited by MuteMutt

No I really dont care the only reason I stay annon on the internet is because I dont want my youtube account flooded with spam its bad enough as it is, But a few months ago I called my mam and said "Im a brony" she said "whats that?" I said "google it" I dont know if she ever did but I dont care. my house is full of posters and pony merch and I make no effort to hide it when I have guests. I was hoping to find a decent graffiti artist give them cash and tell them I want ponies and just let them go wild on my car. Im VERY open about being a brony Im not ashamed of enjoying a tv show and neither should anybody else.

ps Im from the north of England so mam is correct for me.

Edited by mycarhasaMoustache

Do I care what people think of me online? Not really.

Do I care what people think of me in real life? You bet your ass!

I don't feel the need to bring up MLP in my day-to-day life. It's just a show I like. I don't need to trumpet the fact from every rooftop. It definitely would affect most people's perception of me in a negative way, so why mention it? I'm perfectly comfortable staying in the pony closet for the time being.

I think it's important to care to some extent.  Though it really depends on which "people" these are.  Are they strangers?  Acquaintances?  Friends?  Family?  If it's just sort of the outside world in general, well, no person is an island, and in order to be able to live in this life, you have to be able to interact with and deal with people, and yes, part of that involves caring about what they think of you.  If you run a business, for instance, and you meet a big client, you're not going to want to meet that client while you're in your underwear and looking like you just got out of bed.  People determine whether or not they would want to associate with you based on, well, what they think of you.  If you want to maintain that contact, it's important to consider that. 

But at the same time, I don't think it should impact you to the extent that it changes who you are.  You can still be a professional, put-together looking business guy and enjoy MLP on the side. If it does, then that's kind of a problem too- you shouldn't feel any worse about your interests or even abandon them altogether because of what other people think of them.  But just keep in mind how to present them when dealing with others. 

Are you talking about strangers?  Well in that case I wouldn't really care, as you're probably not going to deal with these people ever again anyway, and even if you do, they won't even remember it. 

Friends/Family?  Well IMO it shouldn't really matter, because a real friend, once they know you're serious about it, probably is going to be somewhat understanding beyond some light teasing.  Of course with friends and family, it's up to you to decide and gauge whether or not their reaction will be worth telling them. 

• Brohoof 1

Well i'd like to say I don't in some ways but I really do. Infact I can even be an attention hog at points when I get chances to. I don't want to but I do.

That said I assume I'm probably in the list somewhere for being a closet brony posting about it. And thing is I just can't tell anyone. Because it'll cause who knows how much trouble with my parents and me, and then the fact that I already have basically next to no friends. And am already shy meaning if I do lose the few decent friends I have I will almost never make them back myself.

That and I don't see many hopeful bronies or bronies at my school, or even envision any of them to be bronies.

I just feel like telling people I'm a brony could only impair my life. In reality people are really judgmental, and I don't want to be bothered by all their judgement all the time.

Expecially not if my parents are judgmental about the whole brony thing.

And besides I don't really go out of my way to tell anyone I watch something. I don't inform my parents of everything I watch or something, because frankly its not their business I don't think.

As someone with a lot of social anxiety, it is next to impossible for me to not care about what other people think of me, especially in such a judgmental society as the one we live in. But, over time, I've started to try and stick within my own world in which I can ignore the feeling that everyone is looking at me and judging me. Although, many times, my anxiety gets the best of me.

However, I am fairly open about my Bronydom, as I wear a bag with Fluttershy on it, openly discuss MLP related things with fellow Bronies, and do not deny it when asked.

And, at this point, I seriously don't care if people dislike me for the shows I watch. To me, it is no different than if somebody judged me based on the games I enjoy or books I read. And, I enjoy expressing my enjoyment of certain shows, games, and books. So, just as I express my love for CoF and AoM by wearing a Team Psykskallar hoodie, I wear a Flutterbag to express my enjoyment for MLP.

• Brohoof 3

As much as I would like not to care, life at my red-neck occupied high school makes you pretty self aware. I do individualize myself as much as I feel safe doing, but I'm trying to keep the people who know I'm a brony to a minimum. Two of my friends actually found out today, somehow, and approached me. They just dropped it after I said, yeah I like MLP and we carried on with our discussion. I guess I have at least two true, true friends. Anyways, I don't want the red neck populace at my school to find out about it. One of them lit a kids shoe on fire for telling him to back off of this freshman who showed up wearing a gay pride shirt. He literally lit this kids SHOE ON FIRE. What did the school do about it? A two day suspension, notify police and loss of bus privileges as it happened on the bus. I just don't feel safe at my school with incidents like that happening and barley any consequences given the circumstances.

I can pretend and say that I don't, but I do. A lot actually. I never get any kind of compliments in real life (aside from compliments from my family), and that hurts sometimes. I would never dare to tell people that I'm pansexual and transgendered. They would mock me so much I became seriously depressed... All those small "jokes" people says all the times builds up if you never get complimented...

I honestly don't care about people knowing I'm a brony though. That's just so ridiculous (no offence to those who thinks it's a big deal).

I used to when I was high school and when I was younger. Now that am getting older though I have just accepted the fact you can't please everyone out there. So buck what others have to think, do your own thing and as long as you a truly happy that is all that matters.

Edited by Gone ϟ Airbourne

Well, sorry I dissapointed you. I'm sorry I'm a coward, who gets worried by even the way people look at me. I'm sorry I suffer from paranoia. A kid at my school attempted suicide for liking warhammer 40,000 (considered nerdy) for crying out loud, and frankly that scares me. I'm so paranoid double check my accounts and comments on steam to make sure I don't mention ponies, I fear someone will find out.

Maybe its not such a big problem over in the US, but trust me, it is over here in South-west of England. I was even going to give them a breif mention in a school presentation about prejudice but chickened out because of the remote chance that someone might put 2 and 2 together and realize I'm a brony. It's easy to say, 'ohh, don't worry, we on the forums will help you!', but even here I recently have been feeling like an outcast. Unless I meet an actual brony in real life, there is no way I'll ever feel confident coming out o the brony closet.

I keep telling myself everyday that I don't. That I can go out and do whatever without worrying about the social reprecautions. However, whenever someone does say something negative about me, it ends up on my mind and usually fucks my mood throughout the day.

I think of being a free spirit not giving a fuck about anything, but I also feel the need to "fit in" with the rest. I'm always so conflicted with this shit. I never know what I really want.

So in short, yes, but I hate that so much. I really need help with this shit.

• 2 months later...

It depends on what title that person has and what my plans are with them. If I'm talking to a CEO member while trying to get a job, yes I do care how they view me. But if I'm chilling at the mall and some dude doesn't like my shirt, I could care less.

(edited)

I only care what other people think of me when:

a. I'm at a job interview. Pretty obvious, I guess.

b. I'm with a close friend. I don't need him/her to think I'm perfect, but obviously I'm not gonna do something stupid

Yeah that's about it. I keep up with my appearance probably less than I should, and the way I see it: If you're never going to see the person again, go crazy! :3

Edited by Sky Chaser

Well I'm still in high school and I do hate being made fun of. I did tell some people important to me but i kept it a secret from my older brothers. Oh god, the thought of telling them. Just no. I also inherited an ugly amount of pride from my father, so I'd rather not ruin my image to other people. Maybe if the get close enough to not care about what I like, then I guess I can tell them. Other than that, you either figure it out yourself by bringing it up or not know at all.