Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you really care about what people think about you?

Sir.Flutter Hooves

30 minutes ago, shadowwarp940 said:

Of course I care what others think, who doesn't?

I certainly don't. If you live your life concerned with what others think, you won't live your own life to it's fullest. Now by all means, do be socially mindful. That's understandable. Don't be disrespectful to others. Like, don't start screaming in the middle of a restaurant or start climbing the handrails on the bus, but ... XD. In terms of perusing the career you want, or liking the hobbies or interests you do----who cares? They need to keep their nose out of your life and focus on their own. I actually have a quote that I love, from Dr. Seuss and it goes:
 "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.".

It's human nature to care what other people think about us, but it's also human nature to pretend like we don't care what people think. 

It highly depends on the people and the situation. Of course I care if the other people are my friends, but I care significantly less if they're just some random strangers on the internet instead. I do have social anxiety so it's often hard not to care completely but I'll get there.

I try not to care what others think. I think the tendency to care what others think is innate in humanity and cannot be fully ignored, but in the end, my life is mine to live.

Now, I used to be quite self-conscious. I still am on occasion. But I continue to become less and less preoccupied with what others think of me. As I've climbed out of a hole of social anxiety since midway through high school, things have gotten better. Gaining the approval of others is certainly a confidence booster. But their subjective thoughts cannot fully explain who I am and who I believe I am.

I'm a multifaceted individual who can't be fully defined by a first impression, or even my behavior over a long period of time. For example, my "Prospekt" persona on the forums isn't exactly the same as my real world self. I tend to talk differently on the forums than I do in real life. I do more with my life than simply post on the forums and adore Best Pony. :P In real life, I'm still not at the point where I can take a stroll or go to class in a My Little Pony shirt. Approval here is different from approval offline.

I actually care too much about what people think to tell you the truth. I'm always worried about what everyone thinks about be it the clothes I wear or the stuff I'm into or what I say etc. Etc. Etc. Etc. I don't care who it is my parents, my friends, my boss, even strangers who I don't know/ never going to see again.

Nope, nope, nope. I actually go out of my way to be myself and not conform to the expectations and stereotypes people may try to project upon me. There is some slight degree of care one must show to how others may perceive them, but only to the level that is required to function in society; not enough to make you have to change who you are in any way.

I still to this day dont understand the importance of telling everyone that you are a Brony...who cares?

Im also not telling everyone that im a Furry or that im a Star Gate Fan, like its a super important thing. If someone asks me, i will tell them. But why should i just tell everyone? I cant just dont care about what others think of me, because if it develops into bullying, i will have a really bad time and i really can do without that. I will still dont change myself for someone but i also dont want to attract bullying.

• 4 months later...

I don't really care as it never really bothers me but I also don't want negative false perceptions of my life to others. As long as I'm not doing anything illegal and others know I'm not,  It'll mostly come off as being okay.

Boy oh boy have my opinion changed since I've properly been here last! 

Imo, I don't care about what people think, however, for something like a Fandom (ie, being a brony lol), don't randomly bring it up. That's just stupid and the stuff that causes you to cringe a few years down the line when you are not part of the Fandom. If it comes up in conversation, fine, tell. But if it doesn't, don't. 

• 4 months later...

I'm always worried that my friends hate me, or would betray me. This happened in the past before. Not with the Forums, some guys at school who I used to call friends...

I'm always thinking about it.

Edited by Midnight Solace
  • Brohoof 1

• 5 months later...