Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Scootaloo fly or be disabled?

pinkiefan1287

Fly or Disable   

259 users have voted

1. 1. Should Scootaloo fly or be Disabled?

• Have her fly
    • Have her unable to fly

I just want her to fly already! All the little teases have been more annoying than endearing or whatever to me, and seeing her fly or overcome some fear to or something would give her some much needed character development.

I either want her to be disabled and not be able to fly or be an orphan (though I doubt Hasbro will make her an orphan)

I basically agree with everything you said. It would be interesting and I like the idea of her using a scooter instead of flying.

Ok, when has Scootaloo ever said that her dream was to fly? I'm sorry, but I feel like if anyone says that, it just a made up fan thing. If she wanted to fly so bad, she would have done something by now. We don't even know what she want to learn from RD.

You're on the right track.  Scootaloo never said she wanted to fly like Rainbow Dash.  Scoots may already accept that she won't be able to fly as well as most pegasi.  Instead, she idolizes RD because of her competitive spirit and dedication to being the very best at her chosen sport.  This is what Scootaloo wants to gain from her relationship to Dash as she develops her own talent for X-Games style contests. 

• Brohoof 1

i cant decide, i think the fact that scoot cant fly is a part of her characterization and shouldn't be altered. But by the same token, i don't want her to be unable to fly forever. My idea is that she could hover a little more now that she is with RD but not be able to fully fly.

I think they should give Scootaloo an episode where she learns to fly. Maybe, Rainbow Dash could become her teacher and then Scootaloo becomes the second pony to ever perform a Sonic Rainboom.

Edited by Neighvana666

It would be heartwarming to see Scootaloo fly, yes, but I think she could be such a powerful character if she was never able to attain ascention, as it were. She is, in a way, a canonized version of what many in the fandom view Derpy as; a pony with a disability that doesn't let it affect how she lives her life. Honestly, Scootaloo is my hero.

Also, just throwing this out there...

Airships = Canon

Airships need captains, right?

So...

Scootaloo, apprentice airship captain, maybe, huh? Whadya think? Who wouldn't find that awesome? I mean, really, come on.cool.png

• Brohoof 1

I think Scootaloo should fly but the thing is, she is either disabled or a slow learner for now. But, there will be a time when she does fly but for now we will have to wait and see.

What, and acknowledge that disabled people (ponies in this case) might actually exist? The soccer moms would have another volcanic eruption of stupidity. Remember, to the soccer moms, the best way to respect people that are different (like me) is to pretend that they do not even exist.

Personally, I really like Lauren Faust's idea of Scootaloo being disabled. Her episode idea of Scootaloo having to deal with not being able to be just like her idol just seems really good. Sad, but good, and I'd really like to see it done.

You hit the nail on the head here, as did Sugar Cube.

I don't agree with everything Lauren Faust allegedly wanted, but I'm with her on this. A Scootaloo who can't fly is a more interesting character, provided the show approaches it carefully. There should be an episode where Rainbow Dash wants to train Scootaloo for a filly fliers competition or something, and eventually poor Scoots has to confess that she can't fly. But the two of them become closer as a result.

• Brohoof 5

1.JPG

Please let it be Scoots, please let it be Scoots, please let it be Scoots...

Wait, I'm actively hoping that a child ends up being disabled because I think it'd be interesting.

I"m a terrible person!

mlfw1698-1318062630.gif

But in all seriousness, this is interesting.

Edited by CITRUS KING46
  • Brohoof 2

Very interesting. I also hope the episode Meghan is referring to is about Scootaloo. This gives me hope that Friendship is Magic will be able to start acknowledging darker subjects like disabilities, and hopefully Applejack's deceased parents too.

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 2

I figured the poll would be for wanting her to fly. Which I can understand everyone wants a good ending. I've always been one to change things up though. Not to mention a main character having a disability is much more powerful in a episode over a new random pony having it.

This is an interesting question!

Of course, at first, I immediately wanted Scootaloo to fly. It is who she is and being a pegasus means having the ability to fly. And who wouldn't want to see her up in the clouds with her hero Rainbow Dash?

But as I read through the posts I have come to a different conclusion. Having a disability wouldn't cripple Scootaloo as a character, merely just "taking away" an ability that she does not even possess! (yet) I also think it would be a good message, and besides, Scootaloo belongs on her scooter doing daredevil tricks and flips tongue.png 

(Hard to ride a scooter in the air...) wink.png 

• Brohoof 3

This is an interesting question!

Of course, at first, I immediately wanted Scootaloo to fly. It is who she is and being a pegasus means having the ability to fly. And who wouldn't want to see her up in the clouds with her hero Rainbow Dash?

But as I read through the posts I have come to a different conclusion. Having a disability wouldn't cripple Scootaloo as a character, merely just "taking away" an ability that she does not even possess! (yet) I also think it would be a good message, and besides, Scootaloo belongs on her scooter doing daredevil tricks and flips img-1328929-1-tongue.png

(Hard to ride a scooter in the air...) img-1328929-2-wink.png

Ooooh the Scooter is a good point that I completely forgot about.

Since I can't see her just giving it up once she gets her wings.

• Brohoof 1

Scootaloo should be a disabled orphan who lost her ability to fly in a fight with ponies trying to dispose of the wolves that raised her. She ran away to Ponyville to hide the fact at her young age, and slowly seeped herself into the school.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I found this on the back of a 3-set of miniature ponies: http://i.imgur.com/J8wWrZm.jpg (warning: low-quality, hi-res image)

Basically, it's a little image of Scootaloo flying.  Since this is from an official Hasbro product, this could be foreshadowing of dear Scootypuff flying sometime in the future.

For dramatic purposes, I'd prefer if her path to flight was extremely difficult. Even if she eventually got there, having a disability would add to the writing depth of the series.

Now for feels, I want her to get in the air with RD; but I also feel that the writing in Season 3 kind of handed things on a silver platter. We got the ScootsDash ep; we got the Academy ep... They're really giving us the Dash related "fanservice" that viewers want. 

• Brohoof 1

Disabled. Do you know how happy it'd make me to see a disabled main character who has plenty of other traits OTHER than being disabled in this show? A lot. It's so rare to see and such a good lesson.

Because if you have disabilities, it's not your whole freaking life. I have ADD and I had to go to speech therapy as a little kid (I'm better now, although I return to stuttering if I'm caught off guard and under pressure). But I am a LOT of other things too. It helps that I don't have something visually apparent (like a wheelchair) that causes others to judge me, but the point still stands.

There's some delicious drama to be milked from Scootaloo, a flightless pegasus, wanting to be just like Rainbow Dash, but there's also the fact that it is a very empowering thing to show a character who has a disability, works around it, and is just accepted by her friends like anybody else. I really hope that Scootaloo stays flightless.

Edited by Stellafera
  • Brohoof 7

I generally believe that Scootaloo should not be able to fly.

I mean it would at least force her into having an actual personality and development besides just being the cmc's shadow, riding her scooter and being used to show Rainbow's softer side.

Edited by cmarston1

I'm kind of torn on the issue here.

On one hand, having Scootaloo eventually learn to fly would make for a good episode. It would be heartwarming to see her finally achieve her dream and soar with Rainbow Dash, plus it would make for a good moral about determination and achieving your dreams through hard work.

But if it turns out Scootaloo will never fly and is indeed disabled it would be an intersting take on her character. It would add some psychological depth in that she always tries to brave and do her best because she feels she has to make up for her disability. Plus if there were an episode with this premise it could be about acceptance and feeling good about yourself no matter your condition.

Ultimately voted for went with having her fly, but my points still stand.

• Brohoof 1

So I found this on the back of a 3-set of miniature ponies: http://i.imgur.com/J8wWrZm.jpg (warning: low-quality, hi-res image)

Basically, it's a little image of Scootaloo flying.  Since this is from an official Hasbro product, this could be foreshadowing of dear Scootypuff flying sometime in the future.

I don't think we should be relying on MLP toy sets or posters to confirm this. If that is the case Scootaloo should fly because she is flying in the game and that is also a Hasbro product. So I think we should wait for something to happen in the show. 

It would be heartwarming to see her finally achieve her dream and soar with Rainbow Dash

When has Scootaloo said her dream was to fly? Yes it would be a much better heartwarming science then the one in Sleepless in Ponyville, but Scootaloo has said, nothing about her dream is to fly. Maybe she does not want to fly.

Still maybe I am wrong and she want to fly.

When has Scootaloo said her dream was to fly? Yes it would be a much better heartwarming science then the one in Sleepless in Ponyville, but Scootaloo has said, nothing about her dream is to fly. Maybe she does not want to fly.

Still maybe I am wrong and she want to fly.

I never said her dream was to fly, I said her dream was to fly with Rainbow Dash. Though you're right that it may not be her primary goal, it's clearly something she dearly wants.

I don't know. It would be cool if she could fly. But her not being able to fly could be inspirational and build her character. It would be awesome to have a episode where Rainbow Dash teaches her to fly.

Edited by Drawingpandapony