Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Scootaloo fly or be disabled?

pinkiefan1287

Fly or Disable   

259 users have voted

1. 1. Should Scootaloo fly or be Disabled?

• Have her fly
    • Have her unable to fly

Why can't we have Shining Armor teach Scootaloo how to fly? I mean, "I'm gonna throw you as hard as I can. When you start to fall, start flapping your wings. If anything goes wrong, I'll throw Cadence so that she can aid you."

• Brohoof 2

Why not have both? <:D

I don't know. I think it would be nice if disabled people were represented more in a positive light but not in a way that seems like forced shoehorning or something. Then would that present the problem of teaching people to treat disabled people better? (I'm not talking about making reasonable accommodations for their disabilities)

As much as I would like to see scoots rise to the sky, flying into the sunset wielding a mighty blade onto adventure. Or maybe that was just that dream I had. But it would make for a fascinating character trait. Sorry but "SPOILERS". As we've seen from the rough sketches from comicon, diamond tiara was mocking scootaloo for here inability of flight. How gratifying would it be for scootaloo coming to terms with this and learning to accept her disability and being the best she can be regardless. That and see diamond tiara get what's coming to her. Take that ya snobby "insert insult here".

I'm not quite sure which way I want to go with this. I won't know which option I'll prefer until it is executed in the final product. Scootaloo flying could be amazing, Scootaloo being disabled could be a total train wreck or vice versa It'll all depend on what I see. Both ways could be interesting. I'm going with disabled because it allows for more complexity in Scootaloo's character and more options for storylines. Maybe she'll learn to fly by way of magic, the first kind act of the newly crowned Princess Sparkle maybe?

Brony Curious does address this in his analysis of the season 4 storyboards.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/YKiMyDj12Hs?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Honestly, I think it was confirmed in one thread I did. I think someone (if I recall, this was near the end of September when I made the thread, so I won't remember much)  said that they were toying with the idea, an idea that was remarkably similar to the episode at hand. (The hasboro vice president. I looked it up now.)

"We have had very long meetings where we argue about things like what exactly might happen if a pony were to make fun of a Pegasus that can't fly. That may seem silly, but part of what makes the show so popular is the simplicity of the message."

I always wondered what they meant by that. I have to question what they meant. Then, when you piece it, you realize: Maybe they talked about the clip they showed.

Anyways, I agree with the fans that stated she should be disabled. I commented on a person that was commenting on DA out it, and sort of changed his perception of it. You see, I think that it would make her a stronger pony to knowingly challenge herself in a way like such. Its not strange in Equestria to typically ignore that sort of thing. That and life sucks, you deal with what you've dealt. This was handled a few times as a moral, such as The Grand Galloping Gala sort of. You learn that not everything is going to be a fairy tale, yet when you have some ponies you are close to, who cares? You live with what you have.

I find it nice to have a character you can, at least, relate to a little. Maybe that's just me. 

• Brohoof 2

Yeah, that was my point exactly. I don't really feel comfortable being all like "Sure thing, let's have Scootaloo never fly!", but at the same time it would be interesting.

We'll see what happens, though. If I remember correctly, there supposed to be an episode about this very subject in Season Four, so we might get an official answer to this. We know right now Scootaloo can't fly, but as for whether it's just because she's a slow learner or she really is underdeveloped we'll just have to see.

well,

I think i just convinced myself on why i'd be okay with it.

scootaloo inevitably is gonna get her cutie mark and her friends.  What than?

What if they started questing to find a cure for scootaloo's handicap?

I mean this is a fantasy setting, the idea that there isn't a spell that can't fix her wings,

or at least the possibility exist seems

highly unlikely.

well,

I think i just convinced myself on why i'd be okay with it.

scootaloo inevitably is gonna get her cutie mark and her friends.  What than?

What if they started questing to find a cure for scootaloo's handicap?

I mean this is a fantasy setting, the idea that there isn't a spell that can't fix her wings,

or at least the possibility exist seems

highly unlikely.

Obviously the cure is giant robotic dragon wings.

But seriously, that could be interesting, but I kind of feel like in reality, they're going to go from the angle that once the Cutie Mark Crusaders do find their cutie marks, they'll probably keep helping others find theirs or something. I just kind of get that vibe from them.

• Brohoof 1

I'm really conflicted on this one...on one hand, I love the idea of a disabled character, because it does teach a valuable lesson to never give up no matter what odds are stacked against you, which is something I'm a firm believer in. On the other hand, after three seasons of effort on Scootaloo's part to be able to fly with Dash, I'd also love seeing that finally happen as well..I really love the idea of her eventually coming up with a solution to a flying disability and being able to soar with Dash, so that would probably be the outcome I'd be hoping for. Whatever they decide, I hope it turns out well.

• Brohoof 1

I'm really conflicted on this one...on one hand, I love the idea of a disabled character, because it does teach a valuable lesson to never give up no matter what odds are stacked against you, which is something I'm a firm believer in. On the other hand, after three seasons of effort on Scootaloo's part to be able to fly with Dash, I'd also love seeing that finally happen as well..I really love the idea of her eventually coming up with a solution to a flying disability and being able to soar with Dash, so that would probably be the outcome I'd be hoping for. Whatever they decide, I hope it turns out well.

You know, now that you say it like that, maybe it could work both ways. Perhaps it does turn out to be a disability and Scootaloo is never able to naturally fly...

But then they all remember what they were able to do with Tank, and they're able to come up with a mechanical way to give Scootaloo's wings the strength to lift her. And I'm not talking about my goofy dragon wing idea either.

Although let's all face it, Scootaloo with giant mechanical dragon wings would be both bad-flank and something that should totally happen in Season Four.

• Brohoof 1

I'm still holding to the idea of an episode where RD gives flight lessons to both Scoots and Twily. But then again... it would be much nicer to have another Dash/Scoots episode... I'm torn on the implementation. However, I do think Scoots should fly. I don't like disability plots, having struggled with stuff in the past. Having been in a troubled situation, themes like that can almost be painful reminders of how I used to be. Plus, it would generally be a much happier plot to have Scoots fly with Dashie, using her own wings.

Obviously the cure is giant robotic dragon wings.

But seriously, that could be interesting, but I kind of feel like in reality, they're going to go from the angle that once the Cutie Mark Crusaders do find their cutie marks, they'll probably keep helping others find theirs or something. I just kind of get that vibe from them.

Hm, I like that but there's a problem ^^.

they've spent 3 seasons getting their cutie marks.  so now their gonna knock those out in 22 min episodes for everyone else?  or in 3-4 montages?

nnnnnnnn my bull shit sense is tingeling.

and don't take sweetie bots stick lol away.

Hm, I like that but there's a problem ^^.

they've spent 3 seasons getting their cutie marks.  so now their gonna knock those out in 22 min episodes for everyone else?  or in 3-4 montages?

nnnnnnnn my bull shit sense is tingeling.

and don't take sweetie bots stick lol away.

Well, there's the possibility that they could knock out their cutie marks in twenty-minute episodes, which honestly would feel a bit rushed, but maybe they'll have them slowly start to discover their talents over time.

To be honest, though, it's pretty clear to the audience what their talents are, so I don't think it should be that big of a surprise what their talents or cutie marks will be. I do think that whenever it does happen it should feel really special though, so I think that's my main concern when it comes to them earning their marks.

Now, I don't want to go too far into this since what we're discussing is kind of off topic, but I will say this: if my prayers come true and Scootaloo's cutie mark is a chicken on a scooter, I will be forever in debt to the writers.

Well, there's the possibility that they could knock out their cutie marks in twenty-minute episodes, which honestly would feel a bit rushed, but maybe they'll have them slowly start to discover their talents over time.

To be honest, though, it's pretty clear to the audience what their talents are, so I don't think it should be that big of a surprise what their talents or cutie marks will be. I do think that whenever it does happen it should feel really special though, so I think that's my main concern when it comes to them earning their marks.

Now, I don't want to go too far into this since what we're discussing is kind of off topic, but I will say this: if my prayers come true and Scootaloo's cutie mark is a chicken on a scooter, I will be forever in debt to the writers.

Um, a scooter cutie mark sounds fine for a kid but unless that's a metaphore for something else like cherolies flowers, um......

that's gonna be kinda sad when she gets older.

A scooter cutie mark.......i mean all the way up to the age of 10 that would be adorable ^^.

Back on topic,

I'm not sure i could stand to see she's disabled and stuck with a scooter LOL cutie mark.

I mean that's worse than ...well

bubbles (OH BURN!)

Um, a scooter cutie mark sounds fine for a kid but unless that's a metaphore for something else like cherolies flowers, um......

that's gonna be kinda sad when she gets older.

A scooter cutie mark.......i mean all the way up to the age of 10 that would be adorable ^^.

Back on topic,

I'm not sure i could stand to see she's disabled and stuck with a scooter LOL cutie mark.

I mean that's worse than ...well

bubbles (OH BURN!)

Yeah, but I'm sure the same could be said about a lot of cutie marks. I mean...

Apples?

Balloons?

Butterflies?

Those marks are technically kind of dumb in themselves, but it's what they represent that makes them superior.

A scooter could mean that Scootaloo is amazing at stunts on vehicles or something. She could be amazing on a BMX bike or something along those lines, or maybe on a unicycle or a hang glider.

You never know!

Regardless, while I have said that I do think Scootaloo actually being disabled would be interesting, I honestly don't mind her being able to naturally fly either, as she is my favorite Cutie Mark Crusader and everything.

I just think it would be interesting since they missed the boat with Derpy, who honestly didn't even seem to be disabled from her original speaking role but apparently everyone took it that way. Regardless, it's a topic they haven't touched on for real... I mean, a fan animation (Snowflake) did it before the show did, so I'd like to see how the writers handle it, even if it isn't Scootaloo who is the disabled one.

I would love to see her fly! There is noting more in the world I'm sure she wants then to be able to fly with her hero, and I for one cant see talking that away from her. its like killing her dream... and if your dream dies.. its like apart of you dies.. and I cant let that happen..

Yeah, but I'm sure the same could be said about a lot of cutie marks. I mean...

Apples?

Balloons?

Butterflies?

Those marks are technically kind of dumb in themselves, but it's what they represent that makes them superior.

A scooter could mean that Scootaloo is amazing at stunts on vehicles or something. She could be amazing on a BMX bike or something along those lines, or maybe on a unicycle or a hang glider.

You never know!

Regardless, while I have said that I do think Scootaloo actually being disabled would be interesting, I honestly don't mind her being able to naturally fly either, as she is my favorite Cutie Mark Crusader and everything.

I just think it would be interesting since they missed the boat with Derpy, who honestly didn't even seem to be disabled from her original speaking role but apparently everyone took it that way. Regardless, it's a topic they haven't touched on for real... I mean, a fan animation (Snowflake) did it before the show did, so I'd like to see how the writers handle it, even if it isn't Scootaloo who is the disabled one.

yes but the apple cutie mark is a generation old tradition.  it might be stupid, but it has tradition.  so it doesn't need our approval

butter flys is a symbol for kindness (erm I think?  Correct me LOL i'm likely wrong)

I could totally defend pinkie, or i could just say she exists on another plain than any other pony lol (which she does).

The bottom 2 have a deeper meaning.  that's why i said unless the scooter means... um... something else (i'm listening?)

thats gonna be kind of a let down.

My favorite cutie crusade is apple bloom.  (well at least in theory, if you hooked me up to a lie detector i might fail)

Why?

Cause she's the least impressive mis fit.  she's a normal non magical, non flying pony.  she's a losers loser.  (what i learned today, it's okay having no talents).

Oh before i forget scoot aloe as a stunt pony?  Hm i like that. 

scootaloo not being able to fly still makes her special.

she'd be the only winged pony we know who doesn't fly. 

Edited by FNGRpony

yes but the apple cutie mark is a generation old tradition.  it might be stupid, but it has tradition.  so it doesn't need our approval

butter flys is a symbol for kindness (erm I think?  Correct me LOL i'm likely wrong)

I could totally defend pinkie, or i could just say she exists on another plain than any other pony lol (which she does).

The bottom 2 have a deeper meaning.  that's why i said unless the scooter means... um... something else (i'm listening?)

thats gonna be kind of a let down.

My favorite cutie crusade is apple bloom.  (well at least in theory, if you hooked me up to a lie detector i might fail)

Why?

Cause she's the least impressive mis fit.  she's a normal non magical, non flying pony.  she's a losers loser.  (what i learned today, it's okay having no talents).

Oh before i forget scoot aloe as a stunt pony?  Hm i like that. 

scootaloo not being able to fly still makes her special.

she'd be the only winged pony we know who doesn't fly. 

But that's exactly my point, a scooter might be seen by you as a silly cutie mark, but it has a deeper meaning, like I said, for example, meaning that she is a stunt pony. So in that case, the deeper meaning is there!

And yeah, that's why I said originally that I didn't feel entirely comfortable with saying that I didn't want to see her fly and have her be disabled, but that I wouldn't mind that since it would make her more interesting.

And I love Apple Bloom too, don't get me wrong, but I find it kind of interesting that you said you wouldn't like to see Scootaloo disabled and stuck with a scooter cutie mark, but then you say that you like Apple Bloom the most because she's "the loser's loser".

I mean... I don't get you, FNGR. Then again, from all my conversations with you, you're definitely a complex guy, so maybe that's why.

I'm still holding to the idea of an episode where RD gives flight lessons to both Scoots and Twily. But then again... it would be much nicer to have another Dash/Scoots episode... I'm torn on the implementation. However, I do think Scoots should fly. I don't like disability plots, having struggled with stuff in the past. Having been in a troubled situation, themes like that can almost be painful reminders of how I used to be. Plus, it would generally be a much happier plot to have Scoots fly with Dashie, using her own wings.

I hadn't thought of Twilight having a role in this, but it totally makes sense now. A few pages ago in this thread I suggested that Fluttershy be the one to give Scootaloo some emotional support since Fluttershy could not fly when she was Scoot's age. But now that Twilight has wings that she doesn't know how to use, I think she could be a part of Scootaloo's training too.

If they do decide to go the "Scootaloo can fly eventually" route, then the episode where she learns could teach a lesson about how all that glitters is not gold, and things don't always go the way you plan. Scootaloo adores Rainbow Dash. She would be thrilled to have RD as a flying teacher, But would RD be a good teacher? She has always been a great flyer, so she would have a hard time relating to Scoot's difficulty in learning, and she would probably get frustrated with her student's slow or non-existent progress. They might even have a little fight about it. If that happened, I expect that Scoot would be devastated. Twilight and Fluttershy could both be there to support her, give her the easy-going beginners training she needs, and ultimately facilitate her making up with Rainbow.

• Brohoof 1

But that's exactly my point, a scooter might be seen by you as a silly cutie mark, but it has a deeper meaning, like I said, for example, meaning that she is a stunt pony. So in that case, the deeper meaning is there!

And yeah, that's why I said originally that I didn't feel entirely comfortable with saying that I didn't want to see her fly and have her be disabled, but that I wouldn't mind that since it would make her more interesting.

And I love Apple Bloom too, don't get me wrong, but I find it kind of interesting that you said you wouldn't like to see Scootaloo disabled and stuck with a scooter cutie mark, but then you say that you like Apple Bloom the most because she's "the loser's loser".

I mean... I don't get you, FNGR. Then again, from all my conversations with you, you're definitely a complex guy, so maybe that's why.

If i may

The joker is right as per normal ^^.

I mean seriously, you could even say he's playing the part of a broney picking the two flasher of the 3 and discarding apple bloom. 

Now don't get me wrong, sweetie bell has the best lines of all 3.

And scootaloe as it's shapping up has the best back story,

Orphin , flightless peg, these are compelling story features, her existing gives rainbow dash a much needed new look by fans (i feel),

What does apple bloom got going for her?

I mean other than getting shoe horned (Fated) into indentured apple servitude.  And right now she's bucking amazing ^^.  I mean of all the cmc i think she's the one who needed it the most.

If i may

The joker is right as per normal ^^.

I mean seriously, you could even say he's playing the part of a broney picking the two flasher of the 3 and discarding apple bloom. 

Now don't get me wrong, sweetie bell has the best lines of all 3.

And scootaloe as it's shapping up has the best back story,

Orphin , flightless peg, these are compelling story features, her existing gives rainbow dash a much needed new look by fans (i feel),

What does apple bloom got going for her?

I mean other than getting shoe horned (Fated) into indentured apple servitude.  And right now she's bucking amazing ^^.  I mean of all the cmc i think she's the one who needed it the most.

"Discarding Apple Bloom"

For some reason, I'm left with the image of Apple Bloom left in a dumpster somewhere with a sad, lonely expression on her face...

But seriously, yeah, I've seen that video before, and I get what you're trying to say, so I'll just leave it at that.

And Apple Bloom has got plenty going for her. Take for example, that bow she wears in her hair.

I rest my case.

On the subject on the topic at hand, I kind of don't like what you're implying with Scootaloo giving Rainbow Dash a much needed new look by fans. Don't get me wrong, I'm freaking thrilled that they decided to have Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo grow closer, as I've always dreamed of that since I became a fan of the show.

But it reminds me of the fact that a lot of Dash fans for some reason find it hard to defend Rainbow Dash and desperately grab at so-called positive parts of her personality to defend her from criticism. When someone says "Rainbow Dash is a jerk to her friends", or that "She's arrogant", or "She's full of herself", these Dash fans turn around and say yeah, but I mean... look... look at what she did in this one episode! Or look how she's a big sister to Scootaloo!

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying being kind of mean to your friends, being arrogant, or being full yourself is a good thing... but I personally love those things about Rainbow Dash. And when you say that Scootaloo gives her a much needed new look by fans, it just makes me feel... I dunno, like Rainbow Dash wasn't worth liking before because she's a jerk so now that Scootaloo's in the picture maybe more people will like her.

I know you said that that's just the way you feel, but I honestly don't get why some people who like Rainbow Dash feel like she needs a new look or something. I think her becoming a mentor and big sister to Scootaloo is just a natural development to her character rather than a new look that was needed.

And I apologize for that mini-rant.

*Takes a puff on pipe*

It happens.

"Discarding Apple Bloom"

For some reason, I'm left with the image of Apple Bloom left in a dumpster somewhere with a sad, lonely expression on her face...

But seriously, yeah, I've seen that video before, and I get what you're trying to say, so I'll just leave it at that.

And Apple Bloom has got plenty going for her. Take for example, that bow she wears in her hair.

I rest my case.

On the subject on the topic at hand, I kind of don't like what you're implying with Scootaloo giving Rainbow Dash a much needed new look by fans. Don't get me wrong, I'm freaking thrilled that they decided to have Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo grow closer, as I've always dreamed of that since I became a fan of the show.

But it reminds me of the fact that a lot of Dash fans for some reason find it hard to defend Rainbow Dash and desperately grab at so-called positive parts of her personality to defend her from criticism. When someone says "Rainbow Dash is a jerk to her friends", or that "She's arrogant", or "She's full of herself", these Dash fans turn around and say yeah, but I mean... look... look at what she did in this one episode! Or look how she's a big sister to Scootaloo!

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying being kind of mean to your friends, being arrogant, or being full yourself is a good thing... but I personally love those things about Rainbow Dash. And when you say that Scootaloo gives her a much needed new look by fans, it just makes me feel... I dunno, like Rainbow Dash wasn't worth liking before because she's a jerk so now that Scootaloo's in the picture maybe more people will like her.

I know you said that that's just the way you feel, but I honestly don't get why some people who like Rainbow Dash feel like she needs a new look or something. I think her becoming a mentor and big sister to Scootaloo is just a natural development to her character rather than a new look that was needed.

And I apologize for that mini-rant.

*Takes a puff on pipe*

It happens.

....the bow on her head?  I could see pinkie hitting me with that argument.  And i would stare at her and than i would remember when you look into madness it often looks back, and I would slowly back away.

And i was gonna say something about scoots adding depth to rainbow, but i started to lose tract of where i was going with my post so i cut it.

Maybe i feel bad for apple bloom because she's under developed.  I'd like there to be something there for her.  that and i kinda picture her being the leader of the cmc.

an earth pony with no talent in charge.  that's kinda awesome.

Look at Snowflake, he is so big but has such tiny wing, I would even say the are smaller then Scootaloos, yet he can still fly just fine. So Unless her wings just won't work, then I see no reason why she should not be able to fly.

Scoots needs to fly. Sure having her not being able to fly keeps her grounded to go on more adeventures with the CMC but what happens after they get there marks? No more crusading. Sweet Belle & Applebloom will start living there lives according to there natural talent while Scootaloo is left forever flightless.

If that isn't a crap ending to a story then I don't know what is.

We've seen muscled freaks fly, we've seen babies fly, hell even fluttershy eventually flew and she could barely hover as a filly. Scootaloo needs to fly, she doesn't even need to fly well, if she could only spend a few minutes flying a day, that would be enough especially if Dash is with her.

Edited by Malinter

Look at Snowflake, he is so big but has such tiny wing, I would even say the are smaller then Scootaloos, yet he can still fly just fine. So Unless her wings just won't work, then I see no reason why she should not be able to fly.

All this, i mean if schoot isn't gonna be able to fly i want it to make sense.  If it's a magical thing, that's clearly quest worthy.

Or we might be making more out of this than it is.