Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should Scootaloo fly or be disabled?

pinkiefan1287

Fly or Disable   

259 users have voted

1. 1. Should Scootaloo fly or be Disabled?

• Have her fly
    • Have her unable to fly

Like many ponies before me I think that Scootaloo shouldn't be able to fly yet... perhaps a thread running through several episodes is her overcoming her disability and learning to fly, strengthening her wings and working hard... I think that would be a good lesson to learn... you can do the impossible with determination and hard work :) (and sometimes a little magic!)

• Brohoof 2

Like many ponies before me I think that Scootaloo shouldn't be able to fly yet... perhaps a thread running through several episodes is her overcoming her disability and learning to fly, strengthening her wings and working hard... I think that would be a good lesson to learn... you can do the impossible with determination and hard work :) (and sometimes a little magic!)

SO MUCH YES. Though, even if it can't necessarily be natural, I would LOVE to see that. I always had the idea that she'd create something to MAKE it happen if she wasn't able to PHYSICALLY. Its a great lesson, realistic even.

SO MUCH YES. Though, even if it can't necessarily be natural, I would LOVE to see that. I always had the idea that she'd create something to MAKE it happen if she wasn't able to PHYSICALLY. Its a great lesson, realistic even.

OH MY GOSH! SPOILER ALERT!

How do you add spoilers?! somepony tell me! I don't wanna post my idea without a spoiler... xD (not off topic but i needs help)

Well, I guess I can't convince you, and you're definitely not going to convince me. I did watch the animatics, but I don't really remember anything from them except for the beginning... But seriously, I've watched plenty of TV shows and they really don't leave much to the audience to guess. And the younger the audience, the more apparent this is, because younger audiences, especially young children, need stuff to be more obvious for them to get it.

Until Scootaloo is shown to be disabled in the show (which I think would be a very poor move for Hasbro/the Hub to make) I will consider her to be a normal pegasus. And even if she does have a "magical disability" unless they put in a lot of complicated backstory, I'm sure Twilight could fix it right away. The fact that she hasn't tried yet shows that Scoots is just fine.

And now I say once again, Pruzah sul, and I won't respond to this thread anymore since my opinion is so unpopular.

Well, I guess I can't convince you, and you're definitely not going to convince me. I did watch the animatics, but I don't really remember anything from them except for the beginning... But seriously, I've watched plenty of TV shows and they really don't leave much to the audience to guess. And the younger the audience, the more apparent this is, because younger audiences, especially young children, need stuff to be more obvious for them to get it.

Until Scootaloo is shown to be disabled in the show (which I think would be a very poor move for Hasbro/the Hub to make) I will consider her to be a normal pegasus. And even if she does have a "magical disability" unless they put in a lot of complicated backstory, I'm sure Twilight could fix it right away. The fact that she hasn't tried yet shows that Scoots is just fine.

And now I say once again, Pruzah sul, and I won't respond to this thread anymore since my opinion is so unpopular.

Hey, I'm not trying insult or berate you, differing opinions are always welcome. But you've gotta know that when you offer them up, others will offer counter arguments.

But that's the thing, you've watched the animatics, so it won't be a spoiler to you. But if you can, go back and watch them again and you'll see the direction they're going with Scootaloo.

In the end, though, forget all the stuff we were debating though, it doesn't matter. I just hope I didn't seem like I was attacking you or something. I hope there's no ill feelings because of anything debated here.

Scootaloo won't allow it!

scootaloo_by_thenaro-d4d4dih.png

• Brohoof 1

OH MY GOSH! SPOILER ALERT!

How do you add spoilers?! somepony tell me! I don't wanna post my idea without a spoiler... xD (not off topic but i needs help)

Don't ask me, sorry Jelly. (Seriously love that name) I have no clue myself. ^^"Maybe randomly quote people and ask local. /shot

Anyways, sorry I can't help you ^^"

• Brohoof 1

OK i figured it out

(and thanks :D)

Ok so... 2 things... first... what if scootaloo isn't disabled in a sense... what if she's got a chronic fear of flying or heights that she's in denial about? That would be interesting to see her overcome a fear so crippling it takes away from what you are...

second... what if scootaloo invents like a mechanical flying machine that she can strap to herself to help her fly (if indeed she is unable to naturally) and her cutie mark is something to do with inventing? BOOM!

• Brohoof 1

OK i figured it out

(and thanks :D)

Ok so... 2 things... first... what if scootaloo isn't disabled in a sense... what if she's got a chronic fear of flying or heights that she's in denial about? That would be interesting to see her overcome a fear so crippling it takes away from what you are...

second... what if scootaloo invents like a mechanical flying machine that she can strap to herself to help her fly (if indeed she is unable to naturally) and her cutie mark is something to do with inventing? BOOM!

Kinda like FS? Well, I was planning a story with something similar to that. Narcolepsy kinda. I imagine flying is TERRIFYING if your jumping from high up. Yet, cannon? Doubt. Its because she's freaking soaring on her scooter high up. Though, maybe denial of her inability?

I really love the idea she could get different wings like those that supplied her with magic. Maybe she just can't use her magic adequately.

In the end, though, forget all the stuff we were debating though, it doesn't matter. I just hope I didn't seem like I was attacking you or something. I hope there's no ill feelings because of anything debated here.   Scootaloo won't allow it!

Lol, don't worry about it! I'm just super stubborn, runs in my family. And yeah, I should watch the animatics again.

Anyway, have a nice day! :) 

• Brohoof 1

Lol, don't worry about it! I'm just super stubborn, runs in my family. And yeah, I should watch the animatics again.

Anyway, have a nice day! smile.png

Hey... that's actually something to be admired! Never give up... you certainly didn't, I can tell ya that!

Thanks, I will! I hope you do the same.

I'm going to spoiler this entire post as some people may consider it spoiler material, even though it concerns information that has already been released and speculation on my part.

I think the writers may intend on having her fly. Or at least they haven't confirmed that she has a disability/never will be able to fly. I got this trading card recently and it says she can't fly yet. Here's a picture I took of the card. Sorry if it's a bit blurry, it was the best photo I could get so close up.

post-14840-0-70179200-1383644177_thumb.jpg

For those of you having trouble reading it, here's what it says:

"Scootaloo's no chicken! (hehe, I liked that part XD ) While she hasn't mastered flying just yet, she is a wiz on her scooter, and loves performing daring stunts and showing off to her fellow Cutie Mark Crusader pals Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom. Scootaloo idolizes Rainbow Dash so much that she even started the Rainbow Dash fan club! Trying out new things is all part of a day in the life of a CMC, even though their antics often end with Scootaloo covered in tree sap!"

I do hope that even if she can fly in the end they give her some form of disability, even if it's minor. I think it would add a lot to her character and as many in this thread have said before me, I think we need more disabled characters in our culture. Especially ones as talented as Scoot.

Edited by Princess Lona

She should SOAR idk Scootaloo whole thing is using her small wings to propel her on her scooter if she started flying she wouldn't really be Scootaloo, but address' the fact that Sweetiebelle can't do magic we saw flash backs of Rarity using magic to find diamonds when she was the same age as Sweetiebelle and twilight exploded causing her to turn spike into a fully grown dragon, geez even pumpkin cake can do magic maybe she is the disabled one after all

So I was just wondering what peoples thought on with Scootaloo now that Rainbow Dash has taken her under her wing.

Should Scottaloo be allowed to fly in season 4 or should they go with the disabled route?

If you ask me, I think they should keep her disabled. It would make her a little bit more interesting and it would be nice if there was something that really set her and Rainbow Dash apart from each other. Not to mention Scootaloo could become very inspirational to kids who have disabilities and show them that they can live a fun life, even if you have a disability. Maybe she could even find another way to fly. Like how Tank use's that helicopter hat.

So what do you all think? Why do you think she should fly or not?

I don't think they should call it a disability anyway thats like says Pegasus and Unicorns are more superior than normal ponies not very nice

(edited)
I don't think they should call it a disability anyway thats like says Pegasus and Unicorns are more superior than normal ponies not very nice

How does not calling it a disability show that Pegasus and unicorns are superior to other ponies?

Wouldn't having a pegasus with a disability show that they aren't all that superior and some can turn out weak? Or are you saying that they should not call Scootaloo not being able to fly a disability?

Edited by pinkiefan1287
  • Brohoof 1

I think she should fly, personally. I think it would be a pretty epic moment, and she'd finally be able to fly with Rainbow Dash. smile.png

Hmmm... I'm not too sure. I value everyone's opinions, but to be honest. I believe removing the disability with flying would make Scootaloo more like a clone of Rainbow Dash, which is something I'm not sure all of us want. Since Scootaloo has a similar personality to Rainbow Dash in many ways and the disability is what keeping her from being just like that.

• Brohoof 2

Not to mention Scootaloo could become very inspirational to kids who have disabilities and show them that they can live a fun life, even if you have a disability.

That wouldn't fit with Hasbro's message though. Isn't their basic philosophy "Hide people with disabilities away like diseased leper rodents so nobody could possibly be offended."? Seemed to be when people got up in arms about a certain bubbly pegasus...

Anyway, Scootaloo isn't disabled as shown by her using her wings so there's no reason to make her be disabled.

(edited)

Hmmm... I'm not too sure. I value everyone's opinions, but to be honest. I believe removing the disability with flying would make Scootaloo more like a clone of Rainbow Dash, which is something I'm not sure all of us want. Since Scootaloo has a similar personality to Rainbow Dash in many ways and the disability is what keeping her from being just like that.

That's what I've been calling her this whole time. Just paint her blue and glue that rainbow hat to her head and you've got RD junior.

That wouldn't fit with Hasbro's message though. Isn't their basic philosophy "Hide people with disabilities away like diseased leper rodents so nobody could possibly be offended."? Seemed to be when people got up in arms about a certain bubbly pegasus...

Anyway, Scootaloo isn't disabled as shown by her using her wings so there's no reason to make her be disabled.

Well you bring up a good point. Scootaloo, can move her wings and all, but that does not mean she can fly. So you could look at either way.

Also I thought the Derpy thing was about her name meaning hurtful and being cross-eyed. Not saying it's true that's just what I thought. Another thing Hasbro has been making a few other characters with disability's and overcoming them, kinda.

Transformers Prime had at least 2 characters have some kinda of disableity.

Bumblebee lost his voice.

Ultra Magnus lost his hand. 

Both either recovered from injures or had replaced with an inferior version. Still they don't just put them in a corner and not talk about it. 

Edited by pinkiefan1287

That's what I've been calling her this whole time. Just paint her blue and glue that rainbow hat to her head and you've got RD junior.

Well you bring up a good point. Scootaloo, can move her wings and all, but that does not mean she can fly. So you could look at either way.

Also I thought the Derpy thing was about her name meaning hurtful and being cross-eyed. Not saying it's true that's just what I thought. Another thing Hasbro has been making a few other characters with disability's and overcoming them, kinda.

Transformers Prime had at least 2 characters have some kinda of disableity.

Bumblebee lost his voice.

Ultra Magnus lost his hand. 

Both either recovered from injures or had replaced with an inferior version. Still they don't just put them in a corner and not talk about it. 

The issue was Derpy appearing to be mentally disabled, because apparently the very act of showing such a thing is ableist. Hence the incredibly horrible implication of the censoring. XD And I don't think it counts if they're giant robots.

If she can move her wings, there is no physical reason why she cannot fly. (Inb4 "chickens!" - They can and do fly. But the ones in captivity can't fly very high or far because we bred them to be meaty, delicious and too heavy to fly.)

Now, if they want to give her a crippling (and somewhat ironic) phobia of real flight, that could be worth an episode.

Edited by Koelath

Hmmmmm, yeah I guess that's true. The uniqueness of the characters is one of the largest merits of the show. Nice convincing, I'm on your side now. Lol :P

Well....Wasn't she seen flying for a brief moment at the beginning of the episode Cutie Mark Chronicles? Like when they were talking about who to go talk to, and she's seen flying for a second or two.

http://youtu.be/nneFVEsKzLs

At about 1:20 it shows her zipping through the air!

Soo...I think she can already fly sometimes, but it might be hard or something.

• Brohoof 1