Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Isolating yourself from others?

Gone Airbourne

I know what it's like man, I experience this daily. But I always remind myself that there are people in the world it's worth keep going for (even though I'd probably lose those people too, should my secrets ever be learned about by them)

As long as you can handle isolation's own stress's and handle accordingly. Some people that try to lead isolated lives aren't built for it and I know little is as annoying (or hilarious) to me as some guy/gal who do naught but sit ony their smart phone all day and complain o depression. (Not trying to start a war here, but pointing out that not everyone is or can be anti-social. For human beings being social is in fact linked to mental wellness and physical health in most cases.)

I feel society only scolds my kind(different minds) so I try to stay away from society. If society doesn't like you, then the trick is to reject the people of society even if they want to be with you. I find that if society originally rejected me then I shall reject them.

• Brohoof 1

In my  weekly job, i'm around

people and noise all the time

so i like my alone time when

i can get it just to sit or read

or etc.  I do have friends and

get out at least  three to four times

a week or ever other weekend but

the other weekends i spend alone

just to my brain from  dying of over load.

• 2 months later...

I always isolate myself from others. I lack social skills, self confidence, and I just loathe people in general. Besides, to me being isolated is like staying inside a bubble of safety. Within it, I'm safe from harm and everything cruel. sad.png

I've sorta had this feeling but more on the level of "I want to start a new life somewhere else" and wish I could just run away. It's not like I have anything much to leave behind but the problem is that I don't have the money to do that without ending up homeless in less than a week. I want to separate myself from everything my life has been so far. The sad part is that it's not because my life sucks or anything.....but I do feel the way my life is now does somehow contribute to why I'm such a shitty person and being in the same environment isn't helping me change at all. >_<

I isolated myself for years, ehm I'm not sure how many years though.. I lost count of it and they are still counting. But that's just how I am, if I feel comfortable around people then fine, I can be around them. But most of the time, I just want to be alone.. Though not as much as before though. I'm starting to be more open.

• 9 years later...

Absolutely. I want to run away from everything and everyone. I mean that literally as well. To actually run away. Which is why I’m trying to become a runner. I might not be able to go out the door and run away from my life. However running on the treadmill has been giving me that sense of freedom I need.

And I feel sweaty and gross like I’m dying.

• Brohoof 1

Only if they isolate me first. I’d wish I could isolate myself x1000 more than they could.

Like in Fiji. Can’t now… maybe later. It’s empowering. Either way Fiji would be nice :P 

”when the world turns your back on you, YOU TURN your back on the world!” -Timon

• Brohoof 1

That's a really difficult topic,

Isolating yourself means, you're alone with your thoughts, and in my experience, that's one of the worse things you could do, at least for me. For me it's important to talk to a friend or someone I trust.
mostly they're able to help me! to clear my mind to understand myself better.

Of course there are moments in life where you think the whole world is against you, but you need to learn in life, that's not the case! everyone has a bad day, or is stressed about something.

• Brohoof 1

Tried that already. Became so isolated that I wanted to isolate from myself. At the same time, sometimes people become too much, and I just want to isolate again. I'm not sure which option is better.

• Brohoof 1

I have isolated myself from everyone numerous times, and I still do it. I was never a social person, but I think that I isolate myself too much. It certainly hasn't helped me at all, considering that I always feel lonely and depressed.

• 3 months later...

That’s literally me now. On one hand I have to because Ra forbid I accidentally show that I’m not ok at my job despite what was done to me. On the other hand it’s the lies and the slander being said about me behind my back. That I can’t confront the person spreading them and defend myself. I’m not taking all of this very well. Even more so I honestly want everyone to leave me alone. But I can’t fully have that because I’m still the go to person. I got the person dragging my name for filth and spreading lies still coming to me for help. I can’t tell her no. I can’t treat nobody different and I can’t act like anything’s wrong. 

I once isolated myself for pretty much well over a decade and a half. Used to be a time where I would only leave the house one to three times a year and only if it was what I considered important. I still don't really get out much. I have my reasons though.

I would isolate myself solely because I prefer to be left alone. I’m not the sociable type, let alone not knowing how to begin with. It’s not a bad thing actually. The only ‘bad’ part of it is, sometime I do feel kinda lonely and needed someone with  to stick around with me a bit longer.  Part of me isolated myself because I prefer not to connect with people in order to avoid the feeling of abandonment if they ever leave me. Which it’s definitely not a healthy way at all. So to avoid that kind of feeling, I isolate myself.

Granted, I’m not writing this for pity or sympathy. It’s actually how I cope and I think it makes me feel better if there is nothing to be pitiful about it. So yes, I isolate myself by choice. Not because life made it that way. Don’t get me wrong, I’m always happy to make new friends and other people who wish to connect with me, but if I ever acted like I’m distancing myself away, I prefer that people don’t take it personal.  Like “ what is wrong with this guy?”. No, there’s nothing wrong with me, I just like isolating myself mmkay?

To elaborate last post, I’ve suffered from severe anxiety, depression, and suicidal thoughts for over a decade, which I’ve finally got the means to overcome them. Back then, I wanted to isolate myself at home because people brought pain, now I want to isolate myself at home these days because the peace and tranquillity are priceless to me. If there’s a music that best describes my desire for solitude, would be this:

Spoiler

I do that. I've always been dissociated. I thought that was my "personality". But not really. I have problems. And I have moments of clarity, and then I fall apart again. The past is always following me around.

If you saw me now. I look like a homeless person despite living from rents. My conscience is heavy. Sometimes, I become paranoid and cannot tell apart reality. Other times I would be taking to someone and get the thousand-yard stare. Or taking the wrong turn when I am walking with people. Or putting myself in harm's way, which happened a lot more often during childhood. Then, I would have these violent thoughts where my instinct goes wild and I feel a gut-wrenching pain, then feel massive regret, regress to a child-like mentality and start crying, mostly during the night. So, I sleep during the day.

I just never got diagnosed. But the signs were always there. I think I should have been under medication long ago. But that are some of the reasons I isolate myself. I am a mental patient that is living in society. But my mental health keeps deteriorating. If it wasn't for the houses from my family, I would be homeless or dead by now.

Edited by They call me Loyalty
  • Brohoof 1

I so seldom have any time to myself that when I do have it, it’s like a special treat. I choose to isolate myself because I don’t always want to live everyone else’s life, but have a few moments to be selfishly secluded. Now, if I could separate myself from my own poisonous thoughts, I’d be even happier.

Self-imposed isolation is what led my mind to slow, but steady decay. 

The scary part is that it wasn't some well thought and planned process, in fact, I was completely unaware of what am I doing for a long time, thinking my life is not changing at all, when in fact I was changing and not for the better. I became more prone to negative thoughts, my passions begun to dwindle, I was, to be perfectly blunt, forgetting myself. 

Other people allow me to broaden my own horizons. I hear their thoughts, see their visions, embrace their passions and that, in turn, enhances my own. I want to make them happy and have fun with them and, naturally, I become happier myself. Any dark thoughts that may want to take the front fails to do so. 

And the best part? It may look like I just burden myself with company leaving no room for myself. That statement couldn't be further from truth. I have plenty time for things I love doing, for peace and quiet, a nice book, guitar practice, relaxing walk, gaming etc. I have balance, to make it short. 

Without others, in isolation, where only few could reach me my mind was stagnating, lacking new ideas and inspiration. And I say it as a person leaning more towards introvertism. 

I can't say that it's how it would work for everyone, but based on my recent experience when I begun opening myself to others again - this is how an isolation affected me. I just can't allow myself to be isolated ever again.

• Brohoof 3

I have my family, and I'm very grateful for this... More than a lot of people can say,

I isolated myself from negative and quite literal "toxic influences" years ago and as a result I've pretty much been alone ever since, 

I'm mostly isolated by other people that think they are above socializing with me because THEY are disingenuous and arrogant, some of them try to come off all "hugs" and smiles but they're full of shit and pass quick judgment, so to some of you I say, must be nice to have had the choice to isolate yourselves and not inherently be isolated by others... I just say to that don't ever be on my case for "hastily passing judgments" when my judgements come from facts and real life experiences, and yours come from distrust and social elitism, lot of bad people around here that people think are great, they keep up with social presence like it's some kind of game or chore, it's like they never had a chance to sit with the popular kids in highschool and now they wanna show off to everyone their exclusive social circles... You aren't understanding, you are judgmental, superficial, arrogant in your own right and you like to use friends to show off the fact that you have them, not because you deeply love them, accept them with all their faults, nah you indulge each other's whack personas, and call anyone that's actually being authentic fake bc their truth hurts your delicate sensibilities... 

The internet is a funny place, the yellow dog is my soul animal xD

1s3mzjg4i5cy.png

Edited by Spook Conundrum

That's what I've been doing a lot recently. I just don't really have the energy to commit to people as I used to. Perhaps that's because of the break in friendships I had this year and it taught me a lesson that I am better off sticking to my own circles. I have my circle of friends, my loyal companions - what else do I really need? Reaching out to new people recently takes a lot of energy that I am not sure I have. 

Many relations I have with people I've started to let fade a bit. While those people were/are friends of mine, they don't really maintain my interest. They never DM me. They never talk to me, unless I talk to them. So to me, that means they aren't really valuing me - so why should I value them? A lot of this process has been re-defining of what friendship really means to me. Friendship isn't something you just say out in the open and fool around in status updates, it's a bond forged by trust on both sides over a long timeframe. 

I don't have it in me for any surface level "Friendships" where you only talk to a person about one topic or fool around with them, but not do much else. I'm not really into small-talk anymore as I used to be. While this thought process has some exceptions, it's starting to become a norm. 

I can't change how other people act - so I can only focus on my own actions above all else. 

I've taken this video here to heart. Maybe it will help someone else around here. Loneliness isn't something to be avoided. It's something to be perfected. You must learn to be comfortable alone. You are the only person who sticks through everything in life. You must learn to be comfortable with yourself, and treat yourself with the respect that you deserve. 

One of the major pitfalls I've had in my friendships is feeling like I need validation from specific people in order to be happy. I acted like I had to be around certain friends of mine in order to be happy, but when I've re-aligned what friendship really means to me, I don't need those people to constantly be around to be happy anymore. As time goes on, perhaps I may not need them at all.

• Brohoof 1