Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Joining Military, which branch is best for me?

TWlLlGHTSPARKLE

So as the title says I'm joining the Military. Right now I'm really just a guy in High School, I run track, I played football, I do some Krav Maga, and I used to do Fencing. Recently found out when I'm a Junior I can enlist in the military, I'm really thinking about US Coast Guard, US Navy, or the United States Marine Corps. I live in Hawaii so I kinda like the ocean, but I'd also prefer a combat MOS. If I were to go USCG, I'd probably go for Maritime Enforcement, if I went the Navy I'd go for Master-At-Arms or Gunner's Mate, and if I went USMC I'd go for Infantry or Tanker(mans the M1 Abrams tank). Advice or suggestions? <3

Im joining the Australian Army myself. But you did say that you like the ocean, I know of people who joined the Navy out of love for the ocean and they LOVE their job, and I mean LOVE it ....

So If you feel some sort of proper attachment to the ocean, Id say Navy...more chances of further travel and such, plus you form strong bonds with people on board ships after such long times together in small spaces.

Just take your time with such a decision, Im 17 and I leave June 3rd, Im literally joining at the minimum legal age in my country, yet people have told me not to rush into it and to be positive I want to join.

If you aren't positive, then take a few years doing something else you enjoy, THEN joining the services, but if you feel as if this is exactly what YOU want, then go for it man :)

either way I wish you luck ^_^  /)

I will have to caution you...the Navy has a history for treating its enlisted men and women poorly...it's mostly an officers' club

The Air Force (which I was in for several years) is a great option though not as combat proficient (obviously) as the Marines or Army. 

Believe it or not, the Coast Guard's boot camp is reputed to be harder than even the Marines and you will see action with enforcement.

My suggestions to you would be the Coast Guard or the Marines

just my suggestion

I'm not insanely in love with the ocean, I kind of want a combat mos. That's why I was mainly thinking the Marine Corps, but then I talked to the Coast Guard recruiter and he really got me interested in Maritime Enforcement. Only problem though is I heard there's usually a LONG waiting period for the coast guard.

I'm not insanely in love with the ocean, I kind of want a combat mos. That's why I was mainly thinking the Marine Corps, but then I talked to the Coast Guard recruiter and he really got me interested in Maritime Enforcement. Only problem though is I heard there's usually a LONG waiting period for the coast guard.

then I would say the Marines would be your best bet to be honest. This isn't meant to be an insult...but are you prepared mentally and physically for the Marines? It's never ending...once you are in you are in. Just make sure this is what you really want...I give that advice to everyone

So as the title says...

Take your time and find someone with 2 or more years experience in the MOS you're interested in. Somebody who's not a recruiter (many will tell you whatever they think you want to hear) or brand new to it (and is still looking at it through rose-tinted glasses).

Make sure your decisions are based on current information...certain enlistment perks like 100% Tuition Assistance have been chopped due to budget cuts and the sequestration.  Don't "settle" for a job you don't know much about, or aren't particularly interested in.  The recruitment process is you best and only (for a while, anyways) chance to directly control the nature of your service.