Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does anyone know any little girls who hated Princess Twilicorn?

Commander_PonyShep

36 users have voted

1. 1. Do you know any little girls who hated Princess Twilicorn?

• Yes (specify)
    • No
    • Maybe

I ask because the last time children showed their lack of stupidity, it was over the death of Optimus Prime in the 80's.  Hasbro expected kids to forget about Optimus and move on to Rodimus, but the children--and even their parents--protested against Hasbro, telling them to resurrect Optimus, until Hasbro did just that.

Another reason was because even as a young child, I wasn't that stupid.  Even as a child, I knew that Power Rangers repeated the same thing with little variety (destroy monster with super-attack, then destroy it against with Mega-Zord), and that the special effects were fake and corny.  I also knew that Dragon Ball Z's battles dragged on for too long, and that only Goku, Vegeta, and their sons were the ones growing powerful, while all of their friends are left in the dust to become useless.  And, for anime, in-general, I eventually realized that the anime I watched had crap animation, and even crappier dubs.  In other words, I was able to spot problems in all of those children's cartoons I watched as a child.

If I wasn't that stupid as a kid, and neither were the kids growing up with Transformers in the 80's, then I don't see why little girls would be that stupid and like Princess Twilicorn themselves.  On the contrary, I bet they were upset over that change, as they felt that Twilight becoming dominant to her friends, even in size, went against the core essence of the show, no matter how much the writers try to say that it's towards it.  So, they probably sent their own angry emails, telling Hasbro to change Twilight back into a unicorn, so that they could see her equal to her friends again, and as Rarity's same-species counterpart, too.

But other than that, does anyone know any little girls who hated Princess Twilicorn, and wanted Twilight back as a unicorn?

• Brohoof 6

My little sister who is 8 loves Twilicorn this may be mainly because she adores Twilight as she is her favorite pony, but I think most of them would not have cared as much as some over reacted bronies did...

• Brohoof 4

I don't know any personally, but I've heard about kids hating Twilicorn too. There were a few posts about it in the show discussion thread, and I've seen people talk about kids hating Twilicorn on YouTube as well.

I don't think supporting twilicorn makes anyone stupid...

When I was a kid I noticed that fairly oddparents followed a formula every episode. Does that make ME smart? Definitely not. 

The reason that people are excited about Twilight becoming an Alicorn is because her original story arc is over and we get to see a new story arc which is incredibly exciting.

• Brohoof 3

My little sis could not give less of a buck about twilicorn. I dont think that she feels attached to the characters in the same way i do and the twilicorn thing dose not seem to register with her. Shes not stupid at all, but she is five and character development isn't something she seems to care about.

My little sister who is 8 loves Twilicorn this may be mainly because she adores Twilight as she is her favorite pony, but I think most of them would not have cared as much as some over reacted bronies did...

Actually there are plenty of fans of Twilight Sparkle who are against this, Twiliscael for example is one of the most well known Twilight Sparkle fans on this forum and he is also one of the loudest voices against it. When twilicorn was first announced Twilight was my second favorite pony, but ironically even though I hated the idea of twilicorn and still do she became tied with Applejack and Luna for my favorite pony. Funny how potential mary suedom can remind you of why you like a character, as long as Hasbro gets out of the way and lets the writers do their jobs I think this will work out even if it was way too soon.

The reason that people are excited about Twilight becoming an Alicorn is because her original story arc is over and we get to see a new story arc which is incredibly exciting.

Oddly, this is one of the main reasons I'm against Twilicorn. Not because I don't want to see a new and original story arcs (I'd love to), but because I don't think that new story arcs will be done, despite Twilight's new status almost requiring them. Yes, I know it's a fairly weird wedge position to take, but that's where I stand. Maybe the new season will swing me around.

Sadly, I don't know any little girls and thus have no insight on where that demographic stands in regards to the transformation. My hunch is that most of them either liked it or don't care.

My 4-year-old cousin hates twilicorn. She says that "Twilight sparkle now sucks." You've now heard it from the target audience, so no more arguing, okay. P.S. RESPEKT DA GIRL!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Actually yes. I have a younger cousin who watches it, aged 7, and she despises it. She says that she thinks it'll change her relationship with the rest of the mane 6 and, more importantly, with Celestia, which meant alot to her (it reminds her of her relationship with her teacher who she loves very much). She said that no matter what they do, it really won't be the same anymore.

I guess it runs in the family ;)

Actually there are plenty of fans of Twilight Sparkle who are against this, Twiliscael for example is one of the most well known Twilight Sparkle fans on this forum and he is also one of the loudest voices against it. When twilicorn was first announced Twilight was my second favorite pony, but ironically even though I hated the idea of twilicorn and still do she became tied with Applejack and Luna for my favorite pony. Funny how potential mary suedom can remind you of why you like a character, as long as Hasbro gets out of the way and lets the writers do their jobs I think this will work out even if it was way too soon.

YOU GOT THAT RIGHT. Edited by Twiliscael
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

You know why some people hate Twilicorn? Because some people who liked Twilight could identify with her: A bookworm, socially awkward, struggling to make friends. And now what is she? A princess, loved by everyone, friends with everyone and with no flaws. How can you identify with that? Are you a princess? Are you royalty? Are you loved and friends with absolutely everyone?

Twilight might not be a Mary Sue, but she sure is showing some traits of being one.

Accept it, Season 1 and Lauren's Twilight is dead, and she won't come back.

Mind you, I couldn't care less about the wings. I'm upset about the character and princess title that they gave her out of nowhere in the finale.

Edited by DeiStar
  • Brohoof 2

Accept it, Season 1 and Lauren's Twilight is dead, and she won't come back.

Though I do agree that this has put her dangerously close to Mary Sue territory we still don't know whether Twilight as a character really is one yet or not. Luna is a princess but is one of the most popular characters in the show because it shows that though she is an alicorn princess she is far from perfect, if they do this right and I really hope they do the same could still hold true for Twilight even if this transformation was way too soon.

(edited)

Though I do agree that this has put her dangerously close to Mary Sue territory we still don't know whether Twilight as a character really is one yet or not. Luna is a princess but is one of the most popular characters in the show because it shows that though she is an alicorn princess she is far from perfect, if they do this right and I really hope they do the same could still hold true for Twilight even if this transformation was way too soon.

Luna is liked because of the people who go "OMG Luna so cute!!" and the whole fanon stuff that people have given to her. From S1 Luna being a shy pony and Woona, to S2 Luna and the whole Gamer Luna crap. She's a background princess with two or three lines in the whole season, and suddenly she's incredibly popular.

The fact that the brony census showed that she's more liked than Rarity and Applejack, two main ponies with a lot more of characterization and charisma, makes me really upset.

Edited by DeiStar

Ok this is very dangerously close to saying that if one likes alicorn Twilight that shows a lack of intelligence. I posit one question, why? Why is liking alicorn Twilight demonstrating a lack of intelligence? At most it would show lack of analytic skill, and I really dont even think that is the case. Trying to write a full review of the episode is taking a long time simply because of how much is shown in terms of thematic content, visual symbolism, and emotional content all of which ties directly into continuity. Heck just the very relationship between the elements and the ponies is a pretty complex one. 

To answer the question, no. I'm in a position where I deal with kids a lot(teaching after school programs). All of them that watch mlp seem to like it a lot. That doesn't mean they are stupid or are displaying a lack of intelligence for their age, nor does it mean they are smarter than the average child. Either way the way kids express their opinion is usually very basic, its either "I love Princess Twilight" or "Twilight sucks now" neither sounds like a well expressed opinion. Though Im more quoting from above on the latter as I have not heard negative opinions expressed by children on the matter alicorn Twilight. I have heard negativity expressed toward the show, mostly from boys. 

Oddly enough Discord seems to be the villian they like most. Twilight and Fluttershy seem to be the favs. Also crystal ponies seem very beloved by the kids I've seen. 

Yeah actually you know I showed my niece magical mystery cure and she didn't really seem to dig the whole alicorn thing. Honestly though, I think it deals with the fact that there was less singing after that then before.

I deal with 15 girls (ages 4-9) and of the 15, 7 did not like Twilight becoming a princess.  4 of them basically commented that twilight becoming a princess is just like everyone else (they mentioned disney princesses and the like) and that twilight was no longer special because of it.  the other 3 did not like it because they utterly believe she is going to leave her friends (and no matter what I tried, they said she needs to live in the castle).  As you can probably tell, the older ones are more rational, picking on up on the "every girl is a princess" cliché and it was the younger ones who did not understand Twilight will stay with her friends, but they obviously understood that her being a princess is going to change the series.  

6 others don't watch the show at all (5 have never heard of it, and the other girl hates pink).  And the other 2 who do are the youngest girls I have to care for. 

.......i don't know about you, but it seems like the targeted age doesn't really approve.  And, most of them commented on how the episode went too fast (explaining things have been a chore but it's something we can all sit down and discuss, well most of them).  I don't try to give my own opinions to them, since they will likely follow me.  I have been using them as guinea pigs over the last month, to see how girls from varying different backgrounds, look at the show (and the world in general).  It's pretty interesting I must say. 

• Brohoof 1

My little cousin was devastated XD

she just kept saying

"But Twi is a unicorn..not a princess,she reads,not rules"

I really want a poster of twilight hunched over a book with

Twilight Reads,Not Rules

• Brohoof 1

Wait, wait, wait.  Does that mean you think I'm stupid? 

I think that most little girls will like the change.  But what would you expect from a child, really?

Most little girls just love the fantasy of it all.

But some won't like it.  The more mature children who understand things better.

But some mature children will like it as well.

But again, did you just call me stupid?

WOAHWOAHWOAH

Little girls watch this show?

My brother is 6, he likes it, but has trouble following the story, he keeps asking me "why does she have wings now?" :U

I deal with 15 girls (ages 4-9) and of the 15, 7 did not like Twilight becoming a princess.  4 of them basically commented that twilight becoming a princess is just like everyone else (they mentioned disney princesses and the like) and that twilight was no longer special because of it.  the other 3 did not like it because they utterly believe she is going to leave her friends (and no matter what I tried, they said she needs to live in the castle).  As you can probably tell, the older ones are more rational, picking on up on the "every girl is a princess" cliché and it was the younger ones who did not understand Twilight will stay with her friends, but they obviously understood that her being a princess is going to change the series.  

6 others don't watch the show at all (5 have never heard of it, and the other girl hates pink).  And the other 2 who do are the youngest girls I have to care for. 

.......i don't know about you, but it seems like the targeted age doesn't really approve.  And, most of them commented on how the episode went too fast (explaining things have been a chore but it's something we can all sit down and discuss, well most of them).  I don't try to give my own opinions to them, since they will likely follow me.  I have been using them as guinea pigs over the last month, to see how girls from varying different backgrounds, look at the show (and the world in general).  It's pretty interesting I must say. 

Wow, that actually is really interesting. I think it throws the whole 'every girl loves pretty princesses' argument out of the window. It'll be interesting to see how things pan out with season 4. Little kids are far more likely to stop watching a show if there's something they don't like.

My little cousin was devastated XD

she just kept saying

"But Twi is a unicorn..not a princess,she reads,not rules"

I really want a poster of twilight hunched over a book with

Twilight Reads,Not Rules

All the blogs and editorials all over the internet about the subject and your cousin sums it up beautifully in just four words. *slow clap* Outstanding.

My 4-year-old cousin hates twilicorn. She says that "Twilight sparkle now sucks." You've now heard it from the target audience, so no more arguing, okay. P.S. RESPEKT DA GIRL!

Strong words from the target audience. Writers... you'd better know what the hay you're doing!

Oh, and this is probably the best thread Ponyshep ever started. *Salutes*

• Brohoof 1

Hmmm... well my 10 year old cousin was quite shocked when she saw Twi with wings in the season finale. I could see where she was coming from, but I told her to withhold further judgement until the 4th season comes around next year. So I don't think that she absolutely hates Princess Twi, but she just probably needs to get adjusted to our new Princess of Magic. Her 5 and 7 year old sisters on the other hand, absolutely loved Alicorn Twi so it could be an age thing, I dunno ohmy.png. Me personally, I had to get used to the idea of Twilight with wings, but now I'm all for it. Can't wait to see you in Season 4 Twilight happy.png!