Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your thoughts on love/relationships?

Gone Airbourne

This is a topic I very rarely mention and usually just ignore for the most part. But I have been pondering and it has been on my mind today so I just wanted to share my thoughts on the topic and hear others thoughts as well.

Back in high school I did not really think much about dating let alone cared about it that much. I did "date" this one girl for what about 3-4 months but it was a joke and I would not even consider that a true relationship whatsoever. But I have been thinking it would be nice to get to know someone and develop a bond with someone where you like each other for who you are regardless of other things. I mean you know what I am say by this.

I also believe building a relationship like this with someone takes time. But is seeking love or waiting for love to find you the right way to go about it? Well it is a nice thing to look forward to in the future. I also certainly believe things like this should never be rushed you know? But those are just a few thoughts if mine on the topic.

What are your thoughts on love/relationships or just seeking love in general? :)

• Brohoof 12

I am an aromantic. Never been in a relationship and never seen the appeal of being in one. Albeit, I am young, and my romantic views may change someday, definitely not while I am still in school. I can't understand why people try to "date" and even have sexual relationships in school.

• Brohoof 5

I am an aromantic. Never been in a relationship and never seen the appeal of being in one. Albeit, I am young, and my romantic views may change someday, definitely not while I am still in school. I can't understand why people try to "date" and even have sexual relationships in school.

I agree with you on that especially with dating like at young ages. And yes it def. can take from school focuses that I do agree with.

• Brohoof 1

My thoughts on love/relationships would be, love will come to you or you will come to love and the relationships are based on who you are intertwined with as a couple. You will find the right person, one day when it appears in front of you. Edited by ~Chaotic Lightning~
  • Brohoof 3

HK-47 reference aside,I agree with your views on love 100% Airbourne.

To me,love comes on its own accord,never when you demand it or want it most.You can't force a person (or animal,if you're Fluttershy) to love you,for that is not love at all.That is merely an infatuation for attention.Love...just happens.You never know when,you don't know why,but you just stumble upon it.It doesn't matter if you seek it out or not,for love only comes when it knows you are ready.

• Brohoof 3

Truthfully...I do believe in relationships/love...but you need to take your time with relationships, don't jump into them head first or you will drown...

It takes time to build a relationship, but once it's built, it can be wonderful to have this bond with someone, to love them and for them to love you in return.

I may only be 17, but I understand enough about love to tell you that it is a great feeling that I can't wait to experience.

don't get me wrong, im not a lovey dovey person at all, but I do believe people should have someone who loves them , apart from family :)

• Brohoof 3

My thoughts on love/relationships would be, love will come to you or you will come to love and the relationships are based on who you are intertwined with as a couple. You will find the right person, one day when it approves in front of you.

Thanks for the response chaotic lightning. What you said makes a lot of sense and I honestly believe that is the truth :) thanks again for your input.

• Brohoof 1

Relationships take time, trust, and most importantly communication

Love doesn't work like the images we are bombarded with in movies and sitcoms, fights don't resolve themselves in thirty minutes, sometimes big choices take days to decide. There is no clear winner or loser in an argument in a relationship just coming to a resolution

It is about helping each other grow, as individuals and as a couple. Never hid information or feelings from a partner, lies make you sick and a relationship even sicker. Honest open communication makes a healthy relationship. You should never feel like you have to walk on eggshellls.

There will be good days, sad days, exciting days, boring days,

You will face big scary life events together,the loss of friends or loved ones, buying a house.

Ask yourself, would I stand by this person even when I am old, and they are old and possibly dependent on me for their care? Could/Would I be able to do that?

Love is so much more than kisses, gifts, anniversaries, vacations and the cute pictures you see of happy couples on your facebook.

It is about waking up everyday with someone that is your best friend and facing the day together. It is about learning to share a bathroom, accepting strange habits, that they will have bad days and just be cranky. It is about building a home together, about knowing home is in each other's hearts.

• Brohoof 10

I don't usually think having a relationship is important. But I've had one girlfriend(not as nice as she seemed) and I recently had a crush on someone(but I had no chance). But for now I'm waiting til I turn 16. I mean I never go looking for a girl. If a really nice girls just so happens to befriend me and turned out to be someone I find attractive, then I will try to date her. But for now, I'm just focusing on school and having fun. I personally don't think I'm quite ready for what relationships consist of

• Brohoof 2

Relationships take time, trust, and most importantly communication Love doesn't work like the images we are bombarded with in movies and sitcoms, fights don't resolve themselves in thirty minutes, sometimes big choices take days to decide. There is no clear winner or loser in an argument in a relationship just coming to a resolution It is about helping each other grow, as individuals and as a couple. Never hid information or feelings from a partner, lies make you sick and a relationship even sicker. Honest open communication makes a healthy relationship. You should never feel like you have to walk on eggshellls. There will be good days, sad days, exciting days, boring days, You will face big scary life events together,the loss of friends or loved ones, buying a house. Ask yourself, would I stand by this person even when I am old, and they are old and possibly dependent on me for their care? Could/Would I be able to do that? Love is so much more than kisses, gifts, anniversaries, vacations and the cute pictures you see of happy couples on your facebook. It is about waking up everyday with someone that is your best friend and facing the day together. It is about learning to share a bathroom, accepting strange habits, that they will have bad days and just be cranky. It is about building a home together, about knowing home is in each other's hearts.

*Sniff* I.. I think I just teared up a little... blush.png

That was beautiful! Literally the perfect description of what true love is. I, being as young as I am, have never experienced a full relationship with someone, but I have been on a date or two. It's really hard to find the right guy (I am a girl) who accepts my interests and weirdness  wink.png

• Brohoof 2

Relationships take time, trust, and most importantly communication

Love doesn't work like the images we are bombarded with in movies and sitcoms, fights don't resolve themselves in thirty minutes, sometimes big choices take days to decide. There is no clear winner or loser in an argument in a relationship just coming to a resolution

It is about helping each other grow, as individuals and as a couple. Never hid information or feelings from a partner, lies make you sick and a relationship even sicker. Honest open communication makes a healthy relationship. You should never feel like you have to walk on eggshellls.

There will be good days, sad days, exciting days, boring days,

You will face big scary life events together,the loss of friends or loved ones, buying a house.

Ask yourself, would I stand by this person even when I am old, and they are old and possibly dependent on me for their care? Could/Would I be able to do that?

Love is so much more than kisses, gifts, anniversaries, vacations and the cute pictures you see of happy couples on your facebook.

It is about waking up everyday with someone that is your best friend and facing the day together. It is about learning to share a bathroom, accepting strange habits, that they will have bad days and just be cranky. It is about building a home together, about knowing home is in each other's hearts.

That truly was wonderful to read and that to me sounds what true love is. It is a give and take process well i really appreciate your thoughts on this. I certainly learned a lot from this post and this is just truly awesome.

• Brohoof 1

I'm in a great relationship right now. I wouldn't mind marrying this one.

That said, love did not happen at once. I was dating around, getting to know different gals. I took about fours years of this before I lucked onto this one. Love isn't something you make happen. Its something that just 'CLICKS."

Love is what makes life tolerable. Its someone who may get mad at you, but will always forgive you. There is work involved, but the rewards are awesome. Love will last after the beauty of youth fades away.

I dated in a place where there were a lot of gals who shared my values and interests. My church is pretty big, and our college/career group has a core of some 80 people in it. 120 will show up at fun events. The advantage of a place like this is you can meet girls in a non-threatening environment. Just a few conversations at a video night or a cook out and you end up with some real prospects.

---If you don't like a church setting try a club, I dated gals in the SCA: a medieval recreation group we dressed up in armor and had fake wars and stuff. It was great!

---Bars are the WORST places to meet gals. I'm not fond of meeting at parties either. Alcohol makes you do stupid things. believe me, you will make decisions you dearly regret. Sober is best for meeting girls.

Bottom line: go where the girls are. dating web sites are a rip off. Find a fun organization and you will find a better quality of girl.

Scuba diving clubs. Jet ski clubs. Backpacking clubs. If you're into politics, volunteer for a campaign(personally I don't want someone who is driven by politics, but for some people that's their meat and bread)

Sports clubs. animal shelters. Wildlife protection groups. find an interest of yours and there will be a group of people attached to it.

-- I dated a couple of gals in a dungeons and dragons club.

Oh. One last word of advice. If you're on a date and you see a belly dancer you used to date...NEVER introduce her to your date! Bad Manna! Don't do it!

Oh one more thing. My dating life never took off until i had a full time job. Believe me, ya gotta feed the gals too.

• Brohoof 1

I believe in love, I just think that's its hard to find it. Iv'e always wanted a real relationship with honesty, trust, and true love. I think that everypony deserves love and I hope that everypony finds it.

• Brohoof 1

Having never really been in a relationship i can't really speak on what I "think" its like. But i do know this. All of my friends are in relationships that have been going on for at least 2 years now. Its getting really old being the only one with noone else. When we go to the movies im the 5th Wheel always. One time I said i would skip out on the movie and just go home but they insisted I stay. Its hard to watch other people do the things you wish you could do with another person. They all just say "it will come to you, don't go looking for it". I've been doing that for a long time now and it certainly doesn't seem to be working. I don't hope to be a part of the forever alone club but sometimes i feel that way. Everyone I've ever had an interest in has always wanted to be with one of my friends instead of me. I cry about it and get over it. Being a girl .... trying to find a girlfriend... some people seem to think its easy. The only person i know i felt true love for was this girl named America and she had a twin sister named Liberty (no joke) it was the sexiest thing in the world to me. But she moved away and i never heard from her again. I think that love is for some people and the rest of us will only ever get to dream about what its like. Honestly...

I've never been in a romantic relationship myself, so I can't speak from experience, just my own theories.

I'm almost 20, and I have yet to have a first kiss. Pretty much until my late-Junior year of high school I was a social recluse, so dating was not even on my radar. But now that I'm out of high school, in college, and a little bit more grown up, I'm starting to want to develop a romantic life. I just don't know where to start. I'm trying to make myself attractive. I'm working out and I style my hair (because I've heard women make a 1st impression in < 10 seconds, meaning a good chunk of that is looks). 

One of the big problems is that I don't know where to meet girls. All my college classes are predominantly males. Outside of class, there's not much in terms of parties, and at places like the gym or the library, people just tend to keep to themselves. There doesn't seem to be any where or any time where people are social enough to really foster dating. 

And I know the feeling of being the only friend in the group who doesn't have a significant other, it sucks. Big time. Especially when your best friend is pretty much in the kind of relationship you'd like to be in, and hanging around them all the time is a constant remind of what they have and you don't. Don't get me wrong, I'm as happy as could be for him, but the longing is still there...

I fear though that dating/romantic love is one of those things where, if you do not experience it by a certain age, it becomes exponentially more difficult to develop as time passes. I worry that by waiting this long to begin looking for love, that I might've missed the boat.

All of that said, I've never been one to believe that love "just happens." I was raised to believe that anything we want in life we must work toward, because nothing ever falls on our laps, and that includes love. Finding love takes effort.

Edited by AtomicBassCannon
  • Brohoof 2

I won't ever marry or be in a relationship because I feel that women seem to use men for their own selfish purposes(from experience, though I have never had a girlfriend). I feel that now days relationships have been corrupted, therefore I am avoiding any possible relationship. 

Love is a motherfucker. You can't force it when you want it, and you can't force it away when you don't. Fuck love.

I do like love to an extent though, because it fascinates me. It makes me wonder just how much control we really have of ourselves. What exactly IS thought, anyway? Are we really these profound, ethical, amazing, unique, sentient creatures like we want to believe? Or are we really just animals? Animals driven not by reason, but by impulses and hormones and other crap. Animals no different than that spider you just crushed in your room.

• Brohoof 1

I actually really dislike romance and sexuality, in almost any context. In my opinion, sexuality has corrupted romance to the point that "True (read:pure) love" is very, very hard to find in today's society.

Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that I theoretically have Asperger's. Maybe I'm just weird. i dunno.

(For the record, I found out that I probably have Asperger's two days ago. Don't really know what to think about it.)

I actually really dislike romance and sexuality, in almost any context. In my opinion, sexuality has corrupted romance to the point that "True (read:pure) love" is very, very hard to find in today's society.

Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that I theoretically have Asperger's. Maybe I'm just weird. i dunno.

(For the record, I found out that I probably have Asperger's two days ago. Don't really know what to think about it.)

I had just recently found out that I had Aspergers, and yet I am able to function in society as well as any other person I know(besides socially). Women judge too much. One flaw and they consider you waste in a waste basket. 

Know I'm getting off-topic here,but Asperger's isn't all that bad honestly.Just means you just think and function a bit differently than most.You survived this long without knowing about it,I don't see why it would begin affecting you now.If anything,you probably just found out the reasons behind your behavior and a lot of your personal opinions.

• Brohoof 1

ive been through a lot in the short amount of years I spent living- and ive gone through a lot that I probably didn't need to. im a difficult person for any man to want to stick around, but so is my mom. if anything she's taught me a valuble lesson through my father.

that is to stick by through and through no matter what it is they go through. my mother is quite a woman- the alfa of the family- sever ocd, and control is what she must have or my family suffers. but my dad simply works with her. he doesn't try to be the alpha- simply he lets her- and she can be a real pain somedays- but he still loves her- with all of his heart- he will stick with her no matter what. and I admire that. ain't no body perfect- nor is the perfect other half gonna be either. everybody is gonna have their problems, and you have to look at that when considering a life long commitment.

see- ive been engaged twice and I came rather close to marring this last dude- I was blinded by what I wanted from him, mostl;y the thrill that I was in a relationship,and that he was kind once in a while- but he never helped me grow- I didn't feel right bein with him, and I never progressed or felt good about myself-it was always a mess- such a mess that I didn't see where he was leading me. he had lied bout everything and he never wanted anything with me. he never planned on it. it was never love.

I see it now because I met somebody that I never thought could be .

he treats me with respect, and honesty. makes me even feel like a princess. but I don't have to hide who I am with him and he with me to understand eachother and the weaknesses we hold. he makes me a stronger person and encourages me, pushes me, to better then what I think I can be.he inspires me to be my best everyday- even when he's not around. but one of my favorites is that he makes me happy everyday, no matter what the issue is.  he has a heart of forgivness when I have gone a bit in the wrong direction and a darn stubbornness about him that shows me he's just as strong  as I am. he resembles a lot of the characteristics that my father has wich is what I need considering how much I am like my mom. this person, has helped me grow, stronger, wiser and prouder then any of my ex's ever have. and he's stuck by me through a lot of my faults. there have been times were we fought and didn't speak for months at a time- but in the end he has always forgiven me for my faults. he has made me stronger and I can see my life waking up to him every morning through thick and thin, for better or worse. he is my best friend through and through.

in a good relationship, you don't need sexual activity before marrage to stay bonded  from the examples of my highschool friends and what they spoke about. you need a friendship that is stronger then anything!  for after all, friendship is magic right? you need trust, patience and good communication skills as well as the qualities of a good friendship. without it- your crazy to even try !Love is so much more than what they show on lame movies, in songs or Hollywood. its more then just the kisses, the occasional gifts, sex or the" cute pictures you see of happy couples on your facebook".
It is more then that, its about waking up everyday with someone that is your best friend and facing the day together. It is about learning to share a bathroom, accepting strange habits, that they will have bad days and just be cranky. It is about building a home together and growing old in it, its about relying on eachother for straghnth and support when things go drastically wrong, or building eachother up and not just for a few years- but for your whole life. doing things as one.

as you share a life with someone you create a new generation that in time will control your future. by your examples do they grow! your choices won't just affect yours and your partner but the whole future.

I don't exspect perfectness from him, and I want to help him feel as strong as I do, grow the way that I have and push him forward when things get tough.

ive learned from my mistakes that you can't rush it. you could make a mistake that alters your whole future! so take your time with the decisions you choose, be wise and smart and really know the person before you do anything that could affect your life other wise. you have a whole life to choose, so use it.

that's just my thoughts. there is more I wanna say but it skipped my mind- so- erm- yea-

omg I swear I just  wrote a book!

only 75 more characters reamina- now- to fill them up- ooh only fourty characters left- seven-2-1!

ive been through a lot in the short amount of years I spent living- and ive gone through a lot that I probably didn't need to. im a difficult person for any man to want to stick around, but so is my mom. if anything she's taught me a valuble lesson through my father.

that is to stick by through and through no matter what it is they go through. my mother is quite a woman- the alfa of the family- sever ocd, and control is what she must have or my family suffers. but my dad simply works with her. he doesn't try to be the alpha- simply he lets her- and she can be a real pain somedays- but he still loves her- with all of his heart- he will stick with her no matter what. and I admire that. ain't no body perfect- nor is the perfect other half gonna be either. everybody is gonna have their problems, and you have to look at that when considering a life long commitment.

see- ive been engaged twice and I came rather close to marring this last dude- I was blinded by what I wanted from him, mostl;y the thrill that I was in a relationship,and that he was kind once in a while- but he never helped me grow- I didn't feel right bein with him, and I never progressed or felt good about myself-it was always a mess- such a mess that I didn't see where he was leading me. he had lied bout everything and he never wanted anything with me. he never planned on it. it was never love.

I see it now because I met somebody that I never thought could be .

he treats me with respect, and honesty. makes me even feel like a princess. but I don't have to hide who I am with him and he with me to understand eachother and the weaknesses we hold. he makes me a stronger person and encourages me, pushes me, to better then what I think I can be.he inspires me to be my best everyday- even when he's not around. but one of my favorites is that he makes me happy everyday, no matter what the issue is.  he has a heart of forgivness when I have gone a bit in the wrong direction and a darn stubbornness about him that shows me he's just as strong  as I am. he resembles a lot of the characteristics that my father has wich is what I need considering how much I am like my mom. this person, has helped me grow, stronger, wiser and prouder then any of my ex's ever have. and he's stuck by me through a lot of my faults. there have been times were we fought and didn't speak for months at a time- but in the end he has always forgiven me for my faults. he has made me stronger and I can see my life waking up to him every morning through thick and thin, for better or worse. he is my best friend through and through.

in a good relationship, you don't need sexual activity before marrage to stay bonded  from the examples of my highschool friends and what they spoke about. you need a friendship that is stronger then anything!  for after all, friendship is magic right? you need trust, patience and good communication skills as well as the qualities of a good friendship. without it- your crazy to even try !Love is so much more than what they show on lame movies, in songs or Hollywood. its more then just the kisses, the occasional gifts, sex or the" cute pictures you see of happy couples on your facebook".
It is more then that, its about waking up everyday with someone that is your best friend and facing the day together. It is about learning to share a bathroom, accepting strange habits, that they will have bad days and just be cranky. It is about building a home together and growing old in it, its about relying on eachother for straghnth and support when things go drastically wrong, or building eachother up and not just for a few years- but for your whole life. doing things as one.

as you share a life with someone you create a new generation that in time will control your future. by your examples do they grow! your choices won't just affect yours and your partner but the whole future.

I don't exspect perfectness from him, and I want to help him feel as strong as I do, grow the way that I have and push him forward when things get tough.

ive learned from my mistakes that you can't rush it. you could make a mistake that alters your whole future! so take your time with the decisions you choose, be wise and smart and really know the person before you do anything that could affect your life other wise. you have a whole life to choose, so use it.

that's just my thoughts. there is more I wanna say but it skipped my mind- so- erm- yea-

I've never been in a serious relationship but I have been in a fun one witch wasn't really my cup of tea so I had to end it. But yeah I believe in love and I hope to find it one day :).

• Brohoof 1

Lots of people experience love in so many different ways. I for one am a hopeless romantic, but I'm learning to be patient with these things; they take time. Take my current crush as an example. I rushed for a relationship with her when she clearly wasn't ready, so she turned me down; she's a real Fluttershy you see? After a lot of advice asking, I heard one word heard over and over again: PATIENCE. 

I learned to take things slow which is a lot better than falling flat when you try too hard and make yourself look desperate. Not sure if I got a second chance with my crush yet, but she definitely enjoys my presence; she said I was the only guy she felt comfortable being with to her close friend.  

• Brohoof 2

I don't have much experience with relationships but I do know this it is the simple little things that let them know how much you care. Once I do find a nice woman I am going to treat her like a queen, I am going to buy her flowers because I feel like it I am going to surprise her by taking out to dinner I am going to try to humor her and talk about my day even when it is last thing I want to talk about and I am going to let her know just how much I love and appreciate her.

• Brohoof 1

I've had one "relationship" that was an online one. It was back when I was in highschool (I think it was7-8 years ago). Didn't last since it was a long distance relationship. Though I don't consider it since we were both early teens.

Thinking of what I think of relationships now? I think they're awesome, though I've never been in one. I hope that eventually I do get in a relationship and experience the love that comes with. I've tried online dating to no success, and always get ignored or 1 word answers offline and online.