Register now to remove this ad.
NotCool

Were there "bronies" in G1-3?

59 posts in this topic

Were there male viewers over the target age group in Generations 1-3? (or female for that matter) I know there were probably a couple out there but was there lots of bronies back in generations 1-3? Thanks - Lloyd

1 person brohoofs this

I think old generations fans were more into toys(collectors) then the show.

This video was shot in 2009

Highlights:

3:00 - Males

4:05 - G4 Pinkie Pie

3 people brohoof this

In terms of the TV shows, probably not. I know G1 had its fans, but it wasn't really a legit "following" like FiM has.

The toys, on the other hand, have always been popular with geeky collectors.

I was in love with G3.  So in love.  I had more of that merchandise then I have of G4.

But then G3.5 came.  And then G4.  And I was so disappointed.  Until of course, I actually watch FiM

Edited by Feather Gem
4 people brohoof this

I was in love with G3.  So in love.  I had more of that merchandise then I have of G4. But then G3.5 came.  And then G4.  And I was so disappointed.  Until of course, I actually watch FiM

Oh, an actual fan of older generations. I watched several episodes of older generations and while it wasn't my thing, I'm interested in the history of franchise.

Where do fans of older generations hang out on the Internet? What was their reaction to G3.5 and G4? Did they migrate to FIM, lost interest in ponies or were left behind?

Did cuties marks have any purpose in older generations?

1 person brohoofs this

Oh, an actual fan of older generations. I watched several episodes of older generations and while it wasn't my thing, I'm interested in the history of franchise.

Where do fans of older generations hang out on the Internet? What was their reaction to G3.5 and G4? Did they migrate to FIM, lost interest in ponies or were left behind?

Omigosh, don't ask me xD

I was still young and didn't look for others who enjoyed it like I did.  So I don't know their reactions or anything. 

But cutie marks...

They did have something to do with the pony, I'm sure.  But the G3 ponies never had much personality like the G4 ponies do. 

Pinkie Pie had balloons, because she liked parties.  Just like the current Pinkie Pie.

Rainbow Dash had a rainbow.  Maybe she just liked rainbows!

I don't know for certain, but maybe it just has to do with what they like xD

3 people brohoof this

G1 probably had a lot of fans, but nothing organized.  I think most were in it for the toys anyways.   I mean G1 was basically an extended commercial.

3 people brohoof this

There were quite obviously male fans of the earlier Generations, but not "Bronies"

Bronies are directly linked to MLP:FiM .... and our fandom is fairly unique in it's own right...

so male fans?  yes

Bronies? no

3 people brohoof this

If you could overlook the sappy songs and the nasally, childish voices of the ponies, the G1 cartoon wasn't THAT bad. Unlike recent 4Kids anime dubs, the '80s cartoon actually had kicking and punching in it! It was made by Sunbow Productions who also did the GI Joe and Transformers cartoons of that period. The same voice actors were used so male characters often sounded like Prowl, Optimus Prime (Peter Cullen), and Megatron (Frank Welker). But with no Internet access at the time, I have no idea how much of an older, male audience it may have had. I watched it a couple of times myself, but I didn't get into it.

While it was nothing like the Powerpuff Girls or MLP:FiM fanbases, My Little Pony Tales did have a small online following of mostly males in their late teens and early 20s. I wasn't one myself, but I never made fun of them either. Except for one dude who I thought would take it well due to his sense of humor. He stopped talking to me because of that. Oh well.  tongue.png 

3 people brohoof this

If you could overlook the sappy songs and the nasally, childish voices of the ponies, the G1 cartoon wasn't THAT bad. Unlike recent 4Kids anime dubs, the '80s cartoon actually had kicking and punching in it! It was made by Sunbow Productions who also did the GI Joe and Transformers cartoons of that period. The same voice actors were used so male characters often sounded like Prowl, Optimus Prime (Peter Cullen), and Megatron (Frank Welker). But with no Internet access at the time, I have no idea how much of an older, male audience it may have had. I watched it a couple of times myself, but I didn't get into it.

While it was nothing like the Powerpuff Girls or MLP:FiM fanbases, My Little Pony Tales did have a small online following of mostly males in their late teens and early 20s. I wasn't one myself, but I never made fun of them either. Except for one dude who I thought would take it well due to his sense of humor. He stopped talking to me because of that. Oh well.  img-1322998-1-tongue.png

Love your picture. Haha, yes I might watch a couple of episodes before judging it. I mean, that's what I done before I was a brony with mlp fim. :)

Oddly enough, I have run into a few male fans of older MLP generations, though it is quite rare. One person I ran into said that he didn't like the current generation because "the ponies are too thin". I'm not sure why that is such a massive problem, but whatever his cup of apple juice is. In any case, I'm fairly sure that there aren't too many guys who would enjoy the last three generations. 

There are some male fans of the older generations but not that many, I myself watched the other generations after I became a brony and the only other one I liked was G1. Most of the songs were a big sappy and there are some moments that are a little saccharine for my taste but aside from that it is though not nearly as good as G4 actually a decent show. The best part of it I think was the villains who are way way darker than I expected especially Tirek and Grogar.

1 person brohoofs this

Defiantly. Just because it wasn't a huge cult following like FiM doesn't mean it didn't have anyone. Although I bet the old bronies got MUCH harsher treatment than us.

2 people brohoof this

Without a doubt not as loyal as we are to FiM, and they were probably treated terrible if they announced it. I think it was just collectors in it for the toys.

1 person brohoofs this

Here's a quote from my introduction post...

I have actually had a past history of being a brony, when I was 2 or 3 years old (NOT KIDDING) I had a video tape of the 80's My Little Pony series. I remember watching that tape quite often. I can still remember at one point having some sort of dolls house thing with a few ponies as well!!! Talking about this really embarrasses me though, but that shows that MLP has actually been a minor part of my life!

This was around 2000-2002. I'm 14 now. cool.png

So yes, that answers the question. I never talked about it those years ago, because I couldn't really speak much back then! huh.png

3 people brohoof this

I'm not sure I would use the term Bronies, unless everyone would agree that Bronies are fans of any sort of My Little Pony incarnation period and not just G4.

I would personally say that there were Bronies if we're going by the definition of anything related to My Little Pony; I haven't personally met any males who liked the previous generations, but after going back and watching some of the G1 stuff, I have to say that, while I didn't personally like it all that much, the villains were certainly pretty dark, so I can see some appeal there.

2 people brohoof this

I don't think there were bronies in G1-3,except for probaly little kids,but i don't think they called themselves bronies though.

Edited by Midnight zap
1 person brohoofs this

I've been tempted to look into G1/G2, it looks like some good "holy shit this was made in the 80s" nostalgia might come of it, and it be good for at least one watch though of the show based on that.

I was quite found of the old McDolands pony toys, I had a couple as a kid, if that counts for anything.

Edited by Shoboni

I guess there were bronies back in that generation but, I think it was more of toy collectors then that.

But, I guess they were loyal but not as much as the generation right now.

1 person brohoofs this

Oh, an actual fan of older generations. I watched several episodes of older generations and while it wasn't my thing, I'm interested in the history of franchise.

Where do fans of older generations hang out on the Internet? What was their reaction to G3.5 and G4? Did they migrate to FIM, lost interest in ponies or were left behind?

There is a forum site called My Little Pony trading post, which has what could be called the pre-bronys hanging out and also some bronys to. It's main purpose is trading ponies and it's not really a brony forum in the way that MLP forums could be described as a brony forum, but it has discussions on the MLP franchise in general, and not just the G4 ponies either so there's one place they hang out if you want to learn about the history.

Also there's a DVD film called 'My LIttle Obession' that's about the collectors side of MLP that was quite intresting to watch

Also, I don't think the old MLPs cutie marks were much discussed, and they were preveously known as symbols not cutie marks

I’m sure there were pre G4 bronys, but it probably wouldn’t be the same thing as the bronys today, I’d say it was probably a much smaller community. And not really full of art work, memes, remixes and all that kind of thing. Just a small community of people who appreciate the MLP franchise and probably weren’t dedicated to one particular generation.

Edited by Asherdangerdash
1 person brohoofs this

Yeah, I would say that there were guys who liked My Little Pony before bronies ever existed. I think the more harcore male fans were interested in the toys, though. But I would venture a guess that there's also a number of guys that casually watched the G1 show with their sister or maybe even alone and thought it was cool (my boyfriend was one of them). But it must have been very, very lonely being a guy that liked My Little Pony back then. sad.png

Also, the other huge all-gen MLP hangout place in addition to the Trading post is the MLP Arena - I actually came from there. That site is mostly women though and most of the guys that are there are bronies. But there are some that were male fans before FiM. There was even an exclusively male sub-forum on there so the few guys could hang out with other guys and talk about MLP in a guy...way...yeah, obviously I have no idea what went on there :'D But that's not around anymore.

Edited by Powderpuff
1 person brohoofs this

Before there were clear, obvious reasons for males, specifically grown-ups, to watch My Little Pony, there was always a 1%. The few, the proud. The handful of guys that watched it, mostly for irony, but maybe one or two watched it because they actually liked it. Now, this is accounting for G1, which was actually pretty decent in terms of 80's animation (though, obviously everyone was on the Transformers wagon then, but this is completely different).

Now, what with the substantially less amount of ease and means of communication back then (lack of access to Internet websites that allow people to share their passion for MLP), there wasn't any way it was going to be big as FiM. But then again, the show wasn't as groundbreaking as it is now, so it's thankful that the show came in a generation where people have easy ways of sharing all things pony. Same goes for the meetups, art, music, animations and whatnot, all thanks to modern day technology.

Now, G3 or G3.5, the only guys I would know (and I didn't know any, fortunately) that would watch it would probably do it out of mockery or pure irony.

So, in answering the question, there were most definitely a scarce amount of dudes who enjoyed MLP in the 80's. Nowhere near the activity of today, and it wouldn't be possible without the Internet. Well, it would be possible, just it wouldn't be as popular.

3 people brohoof this

I wouldn't think so. They were far more girly than g4. Only little girls really did watch it.

And g4 isn't about the show anymore. It's about the fandom. The Bronies. Bronies wouldn't have existed then becausewere the generation that spend our childhood on the Internet. They weren't, they had plastic ponies with crazy manes to play with.

As a huge G1, G2 and G3 fan myself, I would say that there wasn't actually anyone called "Bronies" but more so as "ponylovers".

At least that was the label I received while in school. Although it was meant to be harsh and used in bullying me, I actually liked the nickname because it was a fact.

The term Brony is more geared towards Friendship is Magic but I believe it can be reffered to any My Little Pony fan.

5 people brohoof this

If I had just stuck to my guns, and not given into peer pressure, I would have loved the previous generations.  I know this because I can still remember what my opinions were as a kid, and whenever I watch a children's show (old or new) obviously I look at it with an adult mind now, but I also look at it from my inner child's mind as well.  If it looks like something I would have enjoyed when I was the target age, chances are I'll like it now.  Hence, if I had grown up with G1-G3 I would have loved them, like I do now.  I even forget I didn't sometimes, because I love them so much, and the same applies to G4 - it really feels like I've grown up with it, even though it's still somewhat new.  It feels like I watched it as a child myself, years ago.

Were there bronies?  Yes, there were, and I was supposed to be one, but missed out.  I saw the first ever episode as a kid, and loved it and was completely obsessed with it, and one of the ponies, but I was unable to see anymore, and was kind of kept away, so I missed out a lot...  Even if they weren't called bronies (and we can't really prove that the term wasn't used before G4 - even if it was just what a small group, or even just one person called himself as a child) that's what they were in spirit to me; for me a "brony" is just a person who is a fan of My Little Pony age, gender, and favorite generation are not important to me - the only thing stopping them from being a brony is them not wanting to be called one.

5 people brohoof this