NotCool

Were there "bronies" in G1-3?

I am G1 - 3 fan, hello *waves hooves*

• Brohoof 1

No, there were no /b/ronies in generations 1-2 simply due to the fact that /b/ did not exist yet. My Little Pony related materials were abundantly used on 4chan in general (usually as references to the Sea Ponies "Shoo Be Doo" song or as light newfag bait in the occasional Get thread among others ofc).

Generation 3 references on /b/ however, were far more focused on copious ridicule of the source material. The overt girliness of the generation in question was far too much for men in their late teens-to-mid 20s to handle D: 

So basically:

4chan's collective opinion of MLP as a franchise (circa mid 2003-late 2007):

And then came G4 on 10/10/2010~~

The rest is history. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Male fans of older generation MLP were supposedly called Big Brothers after the ponies in the Somnambula episode in the G1 series. Albeit, despite seeing the label used in various places, I can't find any solid evidence on its origin.

But yeah, there were definitely male fans of the older pony series. I used to play a Bratz game nonstop on Gamecube when I was small, so I believe there are gonna be boys in just about every franchise aimed towards girls.

• Brohoof 1

I'm a huge fan of G3, mostly because I watched the Very Minty Christmas all the time growing up. #MintyOriginalPartyPony

• Brohoof 3

(raises hand)

I have watched the original series back when I was really young.  There were three others shows that it came with: Glo Friends, Potato Head Kids, and the Moon Dreamers(And if anyone asks, I preferred the Glo friends over the other two spin off series)

• Brohoof 1

On 2017-09-16 at 5:44 AM, CreativaArtly01 said:

I'm a huge fan of G3, mostly because I watched the Very Minty Christmas all the time growing up. #MintyOriginalPartyPony

I watched it with my daughter when she was small, with the DVD followed a cute plush Minty, and our family have this pony in our x-mas decoration every year still.

The oldest MLP in our home is two My Pretty Ponys from 1981, the brown one and Peachy.

Well they are bought later... anyway i think i go´n Brony long before the term was invented. Long before FIM.

So yes there where Bronys, at least one.

Nooo, I go with what others already stated, they all where collectors in others view, not Bronys.

• Brohoof 1

Gen 4/Friendship is Magi is a bit of a different animal than the past MLP generations. FiM harkens back to the somewhat ironic/cynical nature of 90s cartoons plus a bit of anime influence (I see a whole lot of Sailor Moon influence infused into FiM). That's why it works with such a huge brony following (plus the advent of Youtube and the ease of which original content can be published online). That's just my personal 2 cents on why there's such a huge brony following as opposed to past MLP generations.

Bronies in MLP G1-3 don't know about that. G1 maybe, but not G3. MLP Tales had it's moments, but G4 MLP FIM is definitely the best version.

Badges

Ou it's the whole WE are better fans than whatever existed before us thread. Sorry but some posts just come across as elitist.

I remember when I first got access to the internet back in 1996 or 7 and the only reason I got internet was because another MLP fan I met told me there were boards and places where people when to talk about MLP and buy/trade/sell MLP.

I started meeting people from around the world who loved MLP, including, guys/men who loved MLP as much as I did. One of them was a really great online friend who was the same age as me but sadly a couple years ago he passed away. I would defy any of the newbie fans to say he didn't love MLP as much as they do.

I remember the first MLP meet we had back in 1999, where a lot of us who talked online finally got to hangout and meet each other.

I find it a little offensive to see people talk about stuff they don't know about and make assumptions based on what they 'THINK' they know, how they insist something didn't exist or that it isn't as 'important' as they're side of the fandom. Yea fine, I don't have an issue that there are 'more' fans of FIM. But I do have a issue with how some fans belittle those who existed before an that some even insist that us long time fans are no where near as 'loyal' to MLP.

IF 35 years isn't loyal then I can't quite see how a minimum of 8 years qualifies as so much more loyal than what I've got invested in MLP.

• Brohoof 3

I'd say almost definitely. Bronies then were pretty rare back then compared to now, but it would be nearly impossible for there to be literally no boys or men that were interested in it during G1-G3. Even when I was a little boy, I was a teeny weeny bit interested in it. But only a small smidge.

defiantly yes but they weren't as present or widespread as now. They realistically existed though.

Badges

es, there were male fans (please do not call them bronies, because that is a g4 term) in g1, 2, and 3. There was a letter from a boy that was sent in and published to a g1 MLP comic, saying that he liked MLP, thanks to his sister getting him into it There are small boys seen in the audience of "World's Biggest Tea Party", live action g3 video. So yes. Male fans definitely existed in the early gens.

Badges

I'm pretty sure the term "brony" was made after G4 came out, not G1. But there were male collectors, they just don't call themselves that.

• Brohoof 1

Badges

On 12/6/2018 at 8:53 AM, Midnight Solace said:

I'm pretty sure the term "brony" was made after G4 came out, not G1. But there were male collectors, they just don't call themselves that.

On 12/5/2018 at 5:42 PM, Nightmare Muffin said:

es, there were male fans (please do not call them bronies, because that is a g4 term) in g1, 2, and 3. There was a letter from a boy that was sent in and published to a g1 MLP comic, saying that he liked MLP, thanks to his sister getting him into it There are small boys seen in the audience of "World's Biggest Tea Party", live action g3 video. So yes. Male fans definitely existed in the early gens.

Then what term SHOULD we use for them? Just male viewers/collectors? Or should there be a special term like G4 has? Or will that just create an unnecessary divid??

Badges

59 minutes ago, CameoShadowness said:

Then what term SHOULD we use for them? Just male viewers/collectors? Or should there be a special term like G4 has? Or will that just create an unnecessary divid??

why do they need a special term? Just "fans" is fine.

Badges

13 minutes ago, Nightmare Muffin said:

why do they need a special term? Just "fans" is fine.

Oh yeah, true. The reason is a lot of various fandoms do have a type of nickname and I kinda got used to it. Fans work.

Badges