Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A problem I need help with.

Lewis the Brony

I don't know if it is some type of writer's block or something, but let me explain the problem.

Now, I write fanfics in my spare time on Google Docs. Sometimes, I wanted to post a fanfic on fimfiction.net, so I type the first draft on Google Docs but then I'm not too pleased with it. Even if I modify it, it still isn't too pleasing. And then I delete it off.

I'm great at spelling but for some reason, I can't get into describing things, and keep using the same words.

I don't know what the problem is, but it has been affecting me for a while now. Does anyone have a solution? I really feel like I can't write a good fanfic.

I have two suggestions: read and write. :P

First off, go read. Read classics and read fanfictions and read science fiction and romance and adventure and horror. Read EVERYTHING. Don't settle for one genre or author - that is like going to a buffet and only eating from the shrimp platter. Sure, you enjoy it and it tastes good, but eventually it'll get old and you will never experience anything new. By reading from a variety of sources, you'll also acquire a widened vocabulary.

Second, get to writing. Try and write as egghead-like as you can (using big words and what-not) without using a thesaurus or spell check. While you shouldn't try and sound like a research paper with your story, doing this a couple times will help you get a feel for using new and different words.

The best way, I think, to learn new words is to read. So go buy some books.

I used to have the same problem. But then this person here on these forums posted a topic asking for someone to write a story for him. He had a scenario, but didn't have a story or writing skill. But I had the exact opposite problem. I have writing skills, but had writer's block and was never satisfied with my stories. And now I'm writing a fanfic and it's turning out pretty good. Here is a link if you want it.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/93915/queen-chrysalis-plan

Anyway, for a solution, look for someone who has an idea, but doesn't have writing skills. Or you can post a topic here saying for people to post their ideas and you might write them. But credit them for inspiration. Once you write a fanfic,  you will lose your writer's block. I already have an idea for a fanfic after I finish the current one.

Good luck.

• Brohoof 1

If you don't let people read it you'll never improve. :-) Share your work! Writes block happens to even the best writers. I've had writers block for 15 years and last night I finally wrote a fanfic again! I didn't even write a novel, and in fact, the story would likely be considered a short story. I just focused on three characters and one main setting. You may want to try the same and start small and build from there. Good luck and have fun.