Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Best Stories in Games

Blue Moon

Just wondering what video games you guys think have the best stories. Post your responses below.

I would have to choose the Professor Layton games for the Nintendo DS/3DS. The stories in those games are simply amazing and have amazing and sad endings. My personal favorite in the series is the third entry: Professor Layton and the Unwound Future. I HIGHLY recommend this series.

Anyway, post your responses below

• Brohoof 2

Oof, that's a tricky one. I'm inclined from the outset to say the Ace Attorney series, as some of the cases are incredibly emotional and complex. All that stuff with Dahlia and Godot, amazing. Godot became my favourite minor antagonist due to it.

Other stories I found to be great include:

• Amnesia: The Dark Descent
  • Deus Ex HR
  • Sonic Adventure 2: Battle
  • Mass Effect series (although I've not finished them yet, they're still awesome)
  • Brohoof 2

I think the games that have the best stories, it would have to be:

• Mass Effect Series
  • Bioshock Series
  • Grand Theft Auto Series
  • Resident Evil Series
  • Brohoof 1

I havn't played that many games, but I enjoyed Dragon Quest 9's story quite a lot. But the Profesor Layton games do have a pretty great story too. I have also found that the Pokémon Mystery Dungeon games have the best stories of all Pokémon games.

• Brohoof 2

Ace Attorney games tend to have a very solid storyline. They're one of the few games in which story and music matters more than gameplay or visuals.

Fire Emblem games also have great stories.

• Brohoof 1

Bioshock. Hoofs down.

The plot is amazing. The story is amazing. The gameplay is amazing.

If you look deeper than the surface of the game, there is a whole backstory that is so interesting, it could be redone as an entire novel. In fact, I believe they are making a Bioshock movie, unless they decided to scrap it being that it would cost a fortune...

Anyway if you have never played it than you should give it a try. I haven't seen Bioshock Infinite yet, but I heard it's pretty good too tongue.png

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney/Justice For All. Those were AMAZING.

Dead Space - Still playing through this. EPIC series so far. <3

Assassin's Creed (Any of them) - Ezio's unfolding? Perfect. Ezio's development. Hell yeah, epic. 

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon for the Nintendo DS. (I seem to be talking about those games a lot recently.) I think the second installment, Time/Darkness/Sky, would be the best example of this.

Erm... Eh. Don't really have anything else offhand, except maybe Portal. And Portal 2.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Every Pokémon Mystery Dungeon game, Every (non Gen I) Pokémon game, GTA:CTW, Portal 1 and 2, Mega Man 8 (despite all the hate it gets) Mega Man 9 and 10, Pheonix Wright Ace Attorney and Ace Attorney investigations: Miles Edgeworth.

Edited by stainesbrony

Both of the Knights of the Old Republic games had pretty engaging stories. They were fresh takes on the Star Wars universe which managed to keep what's enjoyable about the Star Wars universe intact while telling their own unique stories (rather unlike a certain trilogy of prequels which shall not be named.) KOTOR definitely has the superior story, simply because of the plot twist that's right on the level of Vader being Luke's father. However, KOTOR 2 was extremely interesting for delving deep into the Force and what it really means to a Jedi/Sith. It also has Kreia, who is extremely well written and is one of my favorite characters in the Star Wars universe, bar none.  It was unfortunately rushed to release, which forced the developer to scrap several missions which would have fleshed the narrative out even more.

Red Dead Redemption did an awesome job giving the Western theme a unique take in the form of John Marston. The story flows pretty well, with plenty of good comedic moments to lighten things up, and the notion of an antihero struggling in vain to escape his past is appealing. The last few story missions are like watching a train wreck in slow motion. You know it's going to end horribly, but when it finally does, it's still heart-wrenching.

TES 3: Morrowind also wins simply because of the thought and detail put into building the environment. The story of the main quest is fair enough, but when you take in the thousands of pages of backstory and sideplots scattered throughout the game's books and dialog, it creates a living, breathing world which I don't think any of the other Elder Scrolls games have even come close to topping. The notion of absolute freedom and open-endedness also does an excellent job of letting the player make their own story, which of course makes it special and unique to each and every person who plays it.

The best stories in games? For me it would be: Final Fantasy 10(many tears were shed), Call of Duty Black Ops 2(yes i know, but it was sad), Dishonored, Mass Effect Trilogy(despite the controversial ending),Red Dead Redemption

(edited)

Halo series, Gears of War series, Assassins Creed series, Dead Space series, Army of Two series, and Mass Effect series have the best stories I have ever experienced and the game play is really good as well. The only draw back is that Halo and Gears of War are Xbox exclusive and Mass Effect 1 is also Xbox exclusive, but 2 and 3 aren't. Dead Space is straight horror which makes it awesome.

Edited by TBB Animal

I'd say Dragon Age. This game (especially Origins) is like a good book, except you can make all those choices which makes it more awesome. My second choice would be The Wicher 1 and 2. (these are based on books if you didn't know)

Planescape: Torment is believed to have one of the best stories in gaming, but I haven't played it.

• 1 year later...

I'd have to go with:

Deus Ex / Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Mafia.

BioShock / Bioshock Infinite.

L.A Noire.

I'd say Dragon Age. This game (especially Origins) is like a good book, except you can make all those choices which makes it more awesome. My second choice would be The Wicher 1 and 2. (these are based on books if you didn't know)

Planescape: Torment is believed to have one of the best stories in gaming, but I haven't played it.

Ahh Torment... that is a pretty damn good game

... Oh look, its available on Good Old Games :)

FF6, and 7, I also rather enjoyed Earthbound.

Planescape: Torment definitely has one of the best stories ever. My only problem with the game is that you don't actually get to see most of the planes they talk about. It's left up to your imagination through text. The game is pretty old so it's understandable that they can't do that sort of thing properly but it sucks nonetheless with how enticing they make them all sound. Cruelty.

And on a personal level I'd say the Wild Arms series has great story concepts but the dialog often doesn't portray it very well. The stories often start with some sort of worldly problem such as terrorism or rebellion but eventually evolve into interdimensional epics, often with a tinge of philosophy on the origin or evolutionary paths of life. All this while being set in worlds that have many wild west influences from gunslinging to mining to ranching.

Personally, Last of Us had an amazing story. The Bioshock series has some awesome storytelling as well. Skyrim and of course the mass effect series. By far these are my favorite games that aren't about all about gunning or slicing down some crazy punk. Besides Skyrim, Last of Us, Bioshock, Mass effect, and the Last of Us. Of course I did go a little crazy in Last of Us at the end with Ellie. But I won't spoil it. 

I've been on a search of looking for games that have good story lines.

When I got my PS3 last year, It came with The last of Us. I completed that game a few months ago, and I have to say. It's pretty damn good. The game's story line stretches in a 20 year period. I haven't played the DLC yet which I'm planning on doing soon. The game for me was very emotional, but very good also. The game keeps you busy and you never get bored of it. :) I loved the game and like I said, planning on getting the DLC for it.

Game that I'm currently working on: Bioshock Infinite.  So far I like the game and has a interesting plot to the story. I have gotten to the point of the game to why you had to get Elizabeth. (Won't spoil for those that haven't played the game). I'm just at that part where she's freaking pissed at you for some reason. (Won't say:) )

But yeah. I like these two games and I think they have good story lines.

After bioshock, I'll probably go for Beyond Two Souls. And then move on to the new Final Fantasy game.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney/Justice For All. Those were AMAZING.

Dead Space - Still playing through this. EPIC series so far. <3

Assassin's Creed (Any of them) - Ezio's unfolding? Perfect. Ezio's development. Hell yeah, epic. 

Oof...I realize that you're going for a unique look but reading that is giving me a migraine. Perhaps it works better with a darker theme or something? :\

As for what games have the best stories? Hm...the original Knights of the Old Republic was very good. Oh, and I can't forget Journey! There wasn't much content, story-wise, but the way it was told and the emotional notes it hit was amazing. It was also a great vessel to make your own story; some of the interactions and moments from that game where I had a partner resonated with me so strongly that I still think about them every so often, even though it wasn't something that was explicitly written down by the game's creator.

Damn, every time I talk about Journey I just want to go home and play it again xD