Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Feedback for my second plush attempt (Rainbow Dash)

Verde Wub

(edited)

img-1336197-1-rainbow_dash_plush_by_howw

I recently finished my second plush (the first did not turn out well at all) and was wanting some feed back. I made it to sell for my economics class and wanted suggestions from people besides my friends. Positive and negative feedback is appreciated, and I won't take it poorly if you have bad things to say. Thanks!

It is 13 inches tall and 14 long if you include the tail

Edited by DashForever
Link Removed
  • Brohoof 4

Really great work, perfect choice in colour for the body. Can't really find much to say in terms of criticism except for the slight fact that the wings are a bit under-stuffed :|. 

Overall, great work ^_^. I would like to know how tall this plushie is though :o

• Brohoof 1

Really great work, perfect choice in colour for the body. Can't really find much to say in terms of criticism except for the slight fact that the wings are a bit under-stuffed :|. 

Overall, great work happy.png. I would like to know how tall this plushie is though ohmy.png

Thanks! It's 13 inches tall and 14 inches long if you include the tail (I'll add that information to the original post). And I see what you mean about the wings; I'll work on it in the next one.

Very nice work. A few things I would suggest you to work on, are her mane/tail, cutie mark and wings... they look a bit odd... but yeah... all in all, nice work. :)

Very neat indeed. For your second ever plush, it's admirable!

I would suggest either moving away from fleece to a short plush, or making sure when you use the fleece, the fibres are aligned in the same direction when you assemble the pattern. You can end up with a distracting rippled effect if you have contrasting directions of the fabric, or use the wrong side of the fleece.

Very nice work. A few things I would suggest you to work on, are her mane/tail, cutie mark and wings... they look a bit odd... but yeah... all in all, nice work. smile.png

What about them is odd? I'll work on it, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean. The size, shape, color? Thanks for the feedback, though!

Very neat indeed. For your second ever plush, it's admirable!

I would suggest either moving away from fleece to a short plush, or making sure when you use the fleece, the fibres are aligned in the same direction when you assemble the pattern. You can end up with a distracting rippled effect if you have contrasting directions of the fabric, or use the wrong side of the fleece.

It's actually felt if that matters. And is there a specific place you see that as a problem so I can understand what you mean by the waves and all? Thanks, though!

• Brohoof 1

No specifica areas, I can just tell that the textures are different across the pony - the material direction is more of a general tip! It's often the difference between a nice looking plush and a professional looking plush. Felt and fleece are also less forgiving when you work and adjust them for longer periods.

No specifica areas, I can just tell that the textures are different across the pony - the material direction is more of a general tip! It's often the difference between a nice looking plush and a professional looking plush. Felt and fleece are also less forgiving when you work and adjust them for longer periods.

Ok, I see what you are saying! I will work on switching fabrics for the next one I make! Plushies are hard huh.png haha

This is pretty darn good! The closed eyes are adorable. I also like the cutie mark stand out from the flank. The only wonky part is her wings. Perhaps if you tried making them folded down at her sides. That's how I do them anyway.

This is pretty darn good! The closed eyes are adorable. I also like the cutie mark stand out from the flank. The only wonky part is her wings. Perhaps if you tried making them folded down at her sides. That's how I do them anyway.

Yeah, that seems to be the part that needs fixing according to other people. Do you think it would look better if I added a miniature wing on top of the other one so it looked like the far right pony in your signature or would it be better to go with wings like the pony beside that where they are more oval shaped?

I'm thinking like the one left of the yellow one with the blue mane if that's what you mean. It's a lot simpler and on plushies it's really cute in my opinion.

I'm thinking like the one left of the yellow one with the blue mane if that's what you mean. It's a lot simpler and on plushies it's really cute in my opinion.

I see what you mean. Thanks! I'll see if I can work out a better pattern for them. I appreciate the input! Hopefully the next one will turn out much better.

Well, let me start by saying this one is adorable, and this is meant to be constructive... points to keep in mind for perfecting the next one. Also, my recent attempt at Twilight didn't go well, so I can't advise that much on actual pattern design, but just the end goals.

Her cranium is too small, and snout too large.

As other have said, wings need work. Particularly, the bottom feathers shouldn't curve upward at all. The main wing should have 4 feathers of varying size. Then cut out a small 3 feathered wing (single layer of cloth) and stitch it onto the surface of the main wing... if it doesn't stick up enough, add a little stuffing between the layers.

Her legs look a little short and too cylindrical to me (unless this is filly Dash right after she got her cutie mark, in which case her neck is just a tad long). Adult ponies usually have longer legs that are narrower at the body and wider at the hoof.

The hair looks a little blobby/rounded tips instead of her windswept scruffy hair... but I have yet to see someone pull off a really satisfying Rainbow mane at large scale, so this may be as good as it gets with stuffed hair. For my little ~7" beanies, I just use single layers of fleece for the hair... if I ever do a large size Rainbow, I'll try the same thing, but with several layers of each color to give it more volume. But I've never seen anyone else do that, so it may not work as well as I'm hoping.

The tail looks quite nice as it is though :) I also like the stitched/glued on eyes and cutie mark, as opposed to the machine embroidery stuff that most people do... those densely packed fields of thread are always too stiff and rough.

Good luck and keep on stitchin' happy.png