Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Do you recommend trying Ubuntu ?

MuffinMuzzle

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1663652.html

I think I may have found something that might help.

"To resolve this, simply copy the contents of filesystem.squashfs on the iso into the usb stick. Luckily the parts it is reading from this appear to be just apt config files so the fact that you lose symbolic links or permissions on a FAT32 usb stick shouldn't matter."

It's worth a try at least. It's unfortunate you're having so much difficulty considering ubuntu is supposed to be one of the easiest distros to get running. If all else fails, maybe try downloading linux mint and see if they do much better.

Thank you I have installed 12.04 LTS and it works perfectly. :) Let the adventure begin. Thank you guys for your help and support and about the problems that's okay i like to solve problems :D.

• Brohoof 1

Thank you I have installed 12.04 LTS and it works perfectly. smile.png Let the adventure begin. Thank you guys for your help and support and about the problems that's okay i like to solve problems biggrin.png.

How come you didn't use Wubi? It could download the operating system onto your computer without using an iso or burning the OS to a CD?

How come you didn't use Wubi? It could download the operating system onto your computer without using an iso or burning the OS to a CD?

I got some error when trying to run it from wubi so I decided it will be easier to do it this way. The 12.10 iso I downloaded was corrupted or something so I decided to download 12.04 and it worked with the flash drive

I have never used anything else than Windows so I'm getting kind of bored. Currently i have Windows 8 and I don't like it very much. I like trying new things and I like to learn new things with Computer and customize. I'm just a bit worried that I would not be able to work with it properly because of just a little experience with commands. Do you think it's worth a try? Will I be able to play games with my friends who all have windows? for example : League of legends, World of Warcraft, TF2 ? 

Definitely, but make sure it's 32 bit, or it's going to be hard to make programmes work.

But games like TF2 is avaible (but only on 32 bit). I would reccommend having both Windows and Ubuntu on your computer.

(edited)

Dear princess celestia today i've learned a very valuable lesson don't type things in command line if you don't know what they do. biggrin.png
So that's the story how my Ubuntu worked for 2 hours. I have installed some updates, programmes, tried to make Wine work with some guides and now it wont start... I just get the pruple screen and after that it goes to black with white cursor. I am able to run GRUB but that's all not even the safe mode runs.
I guess I will look into it tomorrow because today i spent too much time with it.

Edited by MuffinMuzzle
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Oh yeah you should def. try it out you can dual-boot it along side any windows OS. I have it on my laptop and it is a very nice OS. Plus the Linux website has free tutorials ready to anyone wanting to learn how to use it. I recommend it to you for sure!

Edited by Gone ϟ Airbourne

(edited)

If you can still boot into a Live CD/DVD or USB try loading your file system contents of your Ubuntu installation. Check the   /var/log   folder

and look for a syslog file. Open it in a text editor and see if you can notice any errors towards the end, you may also check other files here as well for errors. You can also run the fsck program to repair any file system errors if they exist. if you dont know what partition (/dev/sdaX) you can open gparted in the live installation to see the names or print your partition table with

sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda

Then run fsck on the partiton (in this example /dev/sda1)

sudo fsck /dev/sda1

Now make sure the partition is unmounted before you do this, very important as you can cause filesystem damage .

sudo umount /dev/sda1

If normal Ubuntu still boots and you only get a black screen with a cursor you can try entering a virtual terminal to see if the system is usable, do this by pressing CTRL-ALT-F1, you will be dropped to a login shell, you wont be able to see your password as you type it in but it is till being inputted. once your in type the command "dmesg" to see if anything intersting appears. also try typing

sudo service lightdm restart

to see if you can force a restart of the X11 Graphical Server.

Also you may want to try the Boot-Repair Disk project, its great for detecting and fixing many boot problems.

http://sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair/home/Home/

Edited by superponylinux
  • Brohoof 1

Well, glad to see your 12.04 works (mostly) :) haha, I remember when I started Linux. I think it was Ubuntu 10.04..... 

Anyway, While Ubuntu is generally nice for beginners in Linux, I personally dont recommend it. I'd suggest Linux Mint. It's based on Ubuntu, but generally excels where Ubuntu falls short. Plus it is MUCH friendlier to former Windows users, UI wise.

I have a Linux Mint computer, and another with Fedora (I dont think you'd like Fedora, but I could be wrong...)

Anyway, have fun. There is actually a bit of a linux following on the MLP Forums. superponylinux knows his stuff, as does kotakotakota. You could as me as well, but they're the real experts :P

And I hope you can fix this problem :P

Dear princess celestia today i've learned a very valuable lesson don't type things in command line if you don't know what they do. img-1342249-1-biggrin.png
So that's the story how my Ubuntu worked for 2 hours. I have installed some updates, programmes, tried to make Wine work with some guides and now it wont start... I just get the pruple screen and after that it goes to black with white cursor. I am able to run GRUB but that's all not even the safe mode runs.
I guess I will look into it tomorrow because today i spent too much time with it.

Ugh, I hate it when that happens :P 12.04, right? yeah, it's susceptible to that. if you have that same problem i'm thinking of, that probably means that one of your updates tried to fix your x server (the thing behind the whole mouse and windows environment). what errors does it give?

going off what SuperPonyLinux said, when the mouse appears and everything, do the ctrl+alt+f1 (or f2. sometimes f1 wont work). login with your credentials in the terminal. When it's done with that, type "startx". I dont expect it to work, but I recommend telliing us what errors it gives at the end....

Course, normally when this problem arises, the only way to fix it is to just reinstall.... Sorry to say that

*AHEM* this problem normally does not come up in Linux Mint :D

(edited)

Nothing helped, nothing works.. I guess I will try the Linux Mint this time. Maybe I will have more luck with it and it looks good too.
I just hope it has fewer installation problems than Ubnutu biggrin.png
One question: Should I download 32bit or 64bit one because somebody said that it's harder to get software working on the 64bit one. Mate, Cinammon, KDE or Xfce ?

Edited by MuffinMuzzle

Mate, Cinammon, KDE or Xfce ?

It's up to you, I'd recommend looking on youtube for videos so you know how do those desktop environments look like and pick the one that suits you the best.

Nothing helped, nothing works.. I guess I will try the Linux Mint this time. Maybe I will have more luck with it and it looks good too.

I just hope it has fewer installation problems than Ubnutu img-1344089-1-biggrin.png

One question: Should I download 32bit or 64bit one because somebody said that it's harder to get software working on the 64bit one. Mate, Cinammon, KDE or Xfce ?

It really isn't that much harder to use 64 bit, whether you use 64 bit or 32 bit depends on your processor and how much ram you use. 32 bit distros can only handle up to 4 gigabytes of ram, so if you have over 4 gigabytes of memory, chances are you have a 64 bit system.

As for Mate, Cinnamon, KDE and Xfce, that is an extremely difficult question.

For you, I would probably go with Cinnamon. Cinnamon is a little buggy at times, but I think it's the best environment for new users and it's very intuitive. KDE can be intuitive to windows users (as it has a start button of sorts), but the customization can get rather confusing.

I would also recommend maybe looking up the websites for each of these environments, they usually have a guided tour or a few screenshots that you can base your judgement on.

(edited)

I just hope it has fewer installation problems than Ubnutu img-1344089-1-biggrin.png

No idea how you ran into so much problems with your first install. Perhaps you got some data corruption on the disk you burnt the iso image to? If so, it's usually better to burn at a slower speed, just for safety. The Live CD/DVD's usually have a "Check disc for errors" option at the start.

Definitely the 64 bit edition if you've got a 64 bit processor. It isn't at all harder to get software working on a 64 bit edition. Compiling from sources work just fine. Even pre-compiled packages on 32bit versions work just fine on the 64 bit editions. There really isn't any point in running a 32 bit distro by this time. In regards to that other post, Team Fortress 2 does work on a 64 bit distro.

If it can run on a 32 bit OS, it'll run on a 64 bit OS. Nothing hard about that.

Also, the DE really just boils down to personal preference. I'm personally a bigger fan of KDE and XFCE. I'm using KDE right now, and I can say that it's pretty awesome. MATE and Cinnamon are both very new desktop environments. I'd recommend KDE if you're looking for a good DE, even better since it isn't too different to Windows (without any tweaks, that is. It's very configurable).

Of course, one of the great things about any Linux distro is the ability to change the DE whenever you want. If you get tired of KDE, just install another package and select your environment at the login screen. Easy.

TL;DR: 64-bit & KDE if you can.

Edited by Railrunner

Ubuntu's a good distribution for first time Linux users, but my personal favorite distribution is probably Fedora.

I don't even use Linux anymore though.

Oh man, having probs in Linux Mint (Katya). It says that I am running out of disk space, since that I recently installed Wizard101 on the Linux side of the partition, whilst having the full installation (along with many downloaded map areas of the game) on the Windows side of the partition....

The error message is as follows (they didn't answer me how to solve the prob in that place): http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=128804#p700187

So after all i have downloaded Cinnamon 64bit and it runs perfectly :) no installation problems or anything. Also the interface is more familiar to me than in Ubuntu. I like it so far. Again thank you for your help and recommendations. Please have a hug. wink.png

• Brohoof 3

Oh man, having probs in Linux Mint (Katya). It says that I am running out of disk space, since that I recently installed Wizard101 on the Linux side of the partition, whilst having the full installation (along with many downloaded map areas of the game) on the Windows side of the partition....

The error message is as follows (they didn't answer me how to solve the prob in that place): http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=180&t=128804#p700187

What is exactly the problem? The dialog shouldn't be displayed (there is a lot of free space on the hdd/partition)? I think the message would be displayed even if only one of the partitions was almost full. Take a look at a disk utility (or gparted (but only look, no change)) and see if any of the partitions is full. Also did you seperate root (/) and home partition?

@@Gekoncze, I can't remember if I had them separated or not. How to che ck if I had separated them or not?

Yes, I know that some of my hard disks are almost full, but I don't know how to get to what you said gparted, I must run that in the Terminal just as gparted or must run that as gksudo gparted?

(edited)

@@Gekoncze, I can't remember if I had them separated or not. How to che ck if I had separated them or not?

Yes, I know that some of my hard disks are almost full, but I don't know how to get to what you said gparted, I must run that in the Terminal just as gparted or must run that as gksudo gparted?

well, if you use linux mint, there should be installed the disk utility, where you can view it too. It should be somewhere in preferences in the main menu (or system settings or something) or how is it called. Gparted should be also installed. If it is, you can just run it from the main menu, or you can run it via terminal by "gksu gparted" (maybe gksudo gparted works too)

EDIT: you can run disk utility by typing "palimpsest" in terminal. There, if you click on the partitions, it will display mount point there (if it is seperatet, there will be "/" and "/home" mount point), unfortunetly, this app does not display disk usage as I can see... so you need gparted for that, or some other app called baobab.

Edited by Gekoncze

(edited)

Somepony with Iphone/Ipod device syncing experience ? Because I have tried Banshee and Rhythmbox but they didn't work well. Banshee freezes just after connecting my Iphone and Rhythmbox synced my lybary and now none of the songs in my phone works.

Edit: Amarok doesn't work too.

Edited by MuffinMuzzle

Install it on a virtual machine. Then you can mess with whole system without risk of ruining your main operating system since you can just delete and rebuild.

(edited)

What iDevice do you have? if its one of the newer 5th or 4th gen devices it probably wont work unfortunately from what i have read. To try anyway check that you have libiphone and libfuse installed as those are needed to interface with iPods/iPhones in Linux. Try the application gtkpod or similar. Next make sure the device is being detected at all from USB with the command lsusb.

EDIT: you may just need the ifuse package.

I personally do not have a iDevice so i cannot verify myself how well this could work but other people seem to have success, again this is probably for the older devices and not the newer ones.

Also like ajm mentioned you could try a virtual machine.

Edited by superponylinux

What iDevice do you have? if its one of the newer 5th or 4th gen devices it probably wont work unfortunately from what i have read. To try anyway check that you have libiphone and libfuse installed as those are needed to interface with iPods/iPhones in Linux. Try the application gtkpod or similar. Next make sure the device is being detected at all from USB with the command lsusb.

EDIT: you may just need the ifuse package.

I personally do not have a iDevice so i cannot verify myself how well this could work but other people seem to have success, again this is probably for the older devices and not the newer ones.

Also like ajm mentioned you could try a virtual machine.

I have iphone 4... and nothing seems to work. It drives me mad.. I guess I will just use my mothers computer for it, it's propably the best solution.

• 3 weeks later...

All of my yes.

If you want a nicely running PC with no errors, no random restarts and no crushes, go for it. I loved ubuntu. The only thing that sucks is the fact most of the popular PC games and software in general is made for Win. But most of them you can configure using wine.

I use and love Ubuntu! It's one of my favorite operating systems ever and it's very well supported - there are thousands of guides out there for learning how to use it.

Its graphical user interface is kind of like a mix of Mac and Windows 7, and I found it very easy to familiarize myself with it.

As for Windows games, you can use an incredibly handy program called Wine to run virtually every Windows program out there (including WoW).  Of course, it will require some tweaking, but there are tons of guides out there - just google it.

Also, you can run Steam on it, so that's a definite plus. :)

It's not for everyone though. Like CyberFlash said, you should get a cheaper, lower spec laptop, to see if you like it.

So I am using Linux mint 14 cinnamon for almost a month with only a little problems so far, except for the games but I knew it's not good for playing games so it's ok  happy.png. Even TF2 is not working, I start it, the screen is just black and nothing happens.
Anyway thanks for more responses i tought this thread was already dead.