Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Do you recommend trying Ubuntu ?

MuffinMuzzle

I wouldn't limit yourself to Ubuntu, there are a meriad of Linux distros that are perfectly suitable for home and business use. I personally use OpenSUSE, which I seem to find more stable than Debian-based distros, and I vastly prefer the package management system as well. But, you've also got Fedora/Red Hat and Arch as solid bases to start with.

In terms of the Linux base itself, it does take some getting used to, infact it took me many months to get accustomed to the way it works and how to get productive stuff out of it. I had Windows 7 dual booted on my laptop for my first two months, as slowly but surely I converted all my uses on Windows to one that worked on Linux. After about 6 months it became completely painless and second nature.

I see no real practical reason to switch to Ubuntu other than for learning purposes. Windows 7 provides all the functionality you could ever want and is far more user-friendly. I tried using Ubuntu once and was not impressed.

The reason why I use Ubuntu compared to Windows 7 is because of the concept of using open source than softwares that you need to go buy yourselves, the ability to custom-build own computer/laptop and also because there's no need to install antiviruses in a Linux OS. And we don't get BSODs in Linux too! That's the Windows issue, so we don't worry about that, and no worries about viruses.

The reason why I use Ubuntu compared to Windows 7 is because of the concept of using open source than softwares that you need to go buy yourselves, the ability to custom-build own computer/laptop and also because there's no need to install antiviruses in a Linux OS. And we don't get BSODs in Linux too! That's the Windows issue, so we don't worry about that, and no worries about viruses.

Yeah, BSOD is not in Linux, but there may also appear some crashes depending on distributions (mainly in those with software on "bleeding edge") so it is not so stable sometimes (at least on my laptop tongue.png)

On the other hand, it is powerful for programmers, because linux makes using libraries really easy -> you just type sudo apt-get install <libraryname> and youre ready to go ^.^

also, linux provides more than one desktop ^.^

Edited by Gekoncze
  • Brohoof 1

Did you install the distro that doesn't go well with the spec of your laptop, or did you install some extras or tweaked something?

idk, it ran well for a long time and then it suddenly started to crash, but I tend to install weird stuff there ^.^

So I reinstalled it, but now my lubuntu thinks it is debian o.O It is even displayed in the boot menu and I cannot print, because it says that debian does not support my printer even though it worked before reinstalling...

and what more, I cannot see this smiley face anymore: ಠ_ಠ

I'm thinking at some point I might want to install a simple OS like Ubuntu or Mint and just use Windows 7 on a VM for games. Is there anything that really makes any of the linux OS's stick out over Windows if I just want to do simple stuff like internet browsing/games/classwork or should I just stick with Windows?

@@Gekoncze, looks like you've picked the wrong softwares... anyway reinstalling Linux gives you several options (maybe you got the Debian version though it said it is Ubuntu).

Have you considered the repair option (when you boot up the laptop, there's the option in the Select OS menu) instead of reinstalling it?

Have you considered the repair option (when you boot up the laptop, there's the option in the Select OS menu) instead of reinstalling it?

I didn't even know there is such option...

I think that in my software sources there is too few links... I think I saw some launchpad links on my old installation, but i am not sure. Btw I use lubuntu 12.04 (precise)

I have never used anything else than Windows so I'm getting kind of bored. Currently i have Windows 8 and I don't like it very much. I like trying new things and I like to learn new things with Computer and customize. I'm just a bit worried that I would not be able to work with it properly because of just a little experience with commands. Do you think it's worth a try? Will I be able to play games with my friends who all have windows? for example : League of legends, World of Warcraft, TF2 ? 

I recommend using Ubuntu, people say Linux commands are hard to learn but they're really easy, I use Ubuntu everyday it has a great performance so it doesn't use lots of ram which means if you like playing games they'll be smooth. Linux lacks software and you can't use programs for Windows or Mac unless you use Wine which is a Windows program emulator which would run some programs but they're not guaranteed to work. As for customisation Ubuntu doesn't come with lots of options to chose from, so I suggest downloading Compiz you'll also be able to try out different desktop environments such as Gnome, KDE etc.

Oh yeah you should def. try it out you can dual-boot it along side any windows OS. I have it on my laptop and it is a very nice OS. Plus the Linux website has free tutorials ready to anyone wanting to learn how to use it. I recommend it to you for sure!

If you was ought to dual boot it, you'd use wubi, I wouldn't recommend wubi, I'd rather partition the HDD in the Ubuntu installation.

That means your Ubuntu version is newer than mine. Anyway if it really is a problematic distro, I won't upgrade to that version then. I'll be looking for a more stable distro, however.

well, it may be just my lubuntu installation... maybe pure ubuntu don't have such problems... this one should be stable, because it is LTS, but idk

Kinda late to the party, but yes I do recommend you try it. I recently heard about a program called Crossover Linux that supposedly lets you run Windows programs like TF2 on it, but I've never tried it.

• Brohoof 1

Kinda late to the party, but yes I do recommend you try it. I recently heard about a program called Crossover Linux that supposedly lets you run Windows programs like TF2 on it, but I've never tried it.

Ubuntu has Steam now, so you could just download the Linux version and use that. If you was playing Windows games use Wine or PlayOnLinux.

• Brohoof 1

Games played on WINE lag very much. I don't know how you cope with the lag and frustration. Have you tried playing Warhammer before? It lags a lot......

Games on Wine rarely lag with me. Maybe it is the game your playing, computer or Wine itself. PlayOnLinux has some great performance.

Ubuntu has Steam now, so you could just download the Linux version and use that. If you was playing Windows games use Wine or PlayOnLinux.

Yeah, you could use either of those programs, but Crossover is an alternative I guess (though you do have to pay for it). I think it's for more than gaming, so you could use some other Windows programs.

Games played on WINE lag very much. I don't know how you cope with the lag and frustration. Have you tried playing Warhammer before? It lags a lot......

Games on Wine rarely lag with me. Maybe it is the game your playing, computer or Wine itself. PlayOnLinux has some great performance.

I think this depends on the game you are playing. For example games made in OpenGL don't lag so often, but for games with DirextX lags are very likely to happen, because wine have to emulate DX into GL. For example ePSXe with opengl runs even faster on linux with wine than on windows, but Armies of exigo which uses DX is unplayable.

Edited by Gekoncze
  • Brohoof 1

How do you get the OpenGL to render the games' graphics faster than the games played in Windows, @Gekoncze?

For one example, I managed to run W101 in my Linux, but it lags far worse than when I played the game in Windows.

Well... I just ran it in wine... no special configuration was required. Some certain games need special configuration. In playonlinux, you can try finding your game in the installation list, which should configure it properly, but if it is not there, you may need to find a way how to configure it yourself, but I don't have much experience with such things...

How do you get the OpenGL to render the games' graphics faster than the games played in Windows, @Gekoncze?

For one example, I managed to run W101 in my Linux, but it lags far worse than when I played the game in Windows.

Have you ever heard about virtual machines? It's better to play in one instead of using Wine if your hardware is strong enough. Also, if you use your computer mostly for playing games, don't use Linux, I dare to say. I'm a Linux user, and I don't use Windows.

The thing is, I don't play games (what a lovely life). Well, I make games and Linux is heaven for programmers. That's why.

Other than for gaming, Linux is fun to use for almost everything. We have Rosegarden for music, GIMP for drawing, etc. The only matter why Linux isn't good for gaming is because game industries prefer to play with a rich company (Microsoft) instead of playing with poor and money-less community (Linux).

• Brohoof 1

@@Sky Warden, I had been using Linux due to my field of study. Since then, I prefer Linux over Windows because of familiarity with the system and also because I dislike Windows for many reasons. Anyway you didn't mention Blender for 3D modelling.

Well, yes I didn't. I thought you were just asking about playing games in Linux. :/

Yes. Linux is better than Windows in many things, like security, performance, and flexibility.

I use Ubuntu from time to time, and I like it. Compared to Windows, it's fast, flexible, and secure. It's also free. Good luck playing modern games and run proprietary software, however, as most aren't compatible with Linux, even with Wine. LibreOffice, for example, just doesn't stack up to Microsoft Office. Linux is great for software development, though.

• Brohoof 1