Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What do you do when people argue?

What would I be doing haha, I simply try to keep out of it unless I have something to say that would you know de-escalate it. Though you know when people argue they usually have their reasons for doing so therefore no reason to really get yourself in that position of being some inbetweener of an argument you likely do not know the story of.

• 2 weeks later...

Well..

333DC603-F723-4163-9E97-21DBFAE7CEBD.thumb.jpeg.b96b9ccca468fccd22dead929e9e931c.jpeg

I first just analyzed what they argue about and join the party 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Usually ignore it. Very few arguments actually have a purpose, and I find them to be both an annoyance and a waste of time. I'd only ever step in to defend a friend if I felt like they were in the right, or de-escalate an argument if I felt like they were wrong - I wouldn't intervene in an argument in any capacity between two strangers, simply because I don't care enough.

• Brohoof 1

If the argument happens IRL I'll give my opinion but won't pick a side but if things escalate I'll stop anything further from happening and tell them to go cool off, typically on their own unless one of them are 100% out of line in which case I'd go with the "victim" even then not really take sides and if needed, try to get them to talk it out.  

• 6 months later...

Nothing. I never cared for arguments. Whenever people argue with me, it is most likely because they have a problem with themselves. There is something about their own narrative or belief system that is in conflict, because what they believe or think to be true is false, and that bothers them. So they will attack because they perceive me as the embodiment of their wrongness. I just watch in silence, as they argue with themselves, projecting and making excuses to not adress the flaw in their own logic. But I never engage in arguments. If I know something to be true, then I am certain enough that I do not need to go around creating conflict to convince others that I am right in my wrongness. Because that is the source of dishonest arguments. Oneself.

Let eveyone believe what they will, and feel free to express yourself as well. Or not, after all this is the nature of free will. But always be honest with yourself.

• 4 weeks later...

It depends on the context and the people involved.

If I believe someone is unwillinng or unable to be reasonable and objective about the subject matter, and there's no need for me to involve myself, I'd probably ignore said person and move on. Or... Well, that's what I try to do. I'm not gonna act like I've never engaged in a pointless back and forth online.

One thing which I've found that tends to happen fairly often, nonetheless, is that people don't really know how to communicate, at times.

When that happens, I try to act as a mediator or a translator of sorts: oftentimes people aren't particularly literal when interpreting language, and instead of using or understanding words based on their given definition, they respond to the connotations that sometimes go with them. I find that trying to understand what a person is saying, restating it concisely, and asking relevant questions for clarification to then ask the other person (or person's) for their thoughts to then take the same approach with them, can be very beneficial as it provides some structure and gives people something more concrete to focus on than when people just talk over one another without an end.

Trying to maintain a cold or neutral tone can also be helpful, as it might not elicit as many counterproductive responses from others.

All in all, I feel like the best course of action is:

1.  Summarizing one person's perspective.
  2. Asking relevant questions for clarification
  3. Doing the same with the other parties involved.
  4. Discussing specific arguments in a structured manner while keeping track of the points made, ideally by keeping a list.
  5. And listing down agreements, as well as incoherences between a person's statements.

That way, either something can be gained from the conversation, or you have something more concrete to point at when someone's being illogical.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Usually I leave if I can, depending on the argument. I don't like arguments cause they stress me out often, so I just leave if it's nothing important. Unless I'm involved in the argument, but I usually don't argue much and just try to calm the situation down by not letting my emotions take control and trying to resolve the issue at hand.

I don't really get involved, unless if it's something revolving around me playing football when one of my teammates gets into a scrimmage with one of the opposition players or even the umpire, then I might say something by telling them to stop before they're in big trouble, by the end of the day, play the game, not behave like bloody idiots.