Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Appeal to Whovians?

DoctorWhovian1902

(edited)

I'm sure there are a lot of Whovians in the Brony fandom, and I wanted to ask your opinion specifically on why you enjoy the show and don't see it as some inferior form of entertainment.

I ask this because my current situation is a bit...strange. The deal here is that all but one other person I know is a Whovian; the thing has spread at the speed of the Internet even though it was completely through word of mouth.

In contrast, aside from one person who I really don't know all that well, I'm the only Brony in our friend group. All the Whovians have refused to even give it a chance, and I can only think the reason would be that they think they've found their superior television show.

Now I'm not saying I hate Whovians. I don't, nor do I hate the show either (I've seen it myself but I'm not that into Sci-Fi). What I am saying is that the ones I've dealt with have been incredibly intolerant to Bronies because they think Dr. Who is the best.

On top of that, I hear about their show almost every day. The thing is, I know that if I do so much as mention Bronies or MLP, I'll be shot down and shunned. It's depressing, really, and I'm reminded of it whenever Dr. Who is brought up and suddenly all the people surrounding me are in a conversation about it.

This brings me back to my initial question: what appeal is there to Whovians in the show? In other words, what could I say to other Whovians that would show them this show is much more than what it started as.

Also, I already know about the reference in "It's About Time" and "Doctor Whooves", but I'm looking for anything else that could help.

Edited by whoovesfan7698
  • Brohoof 2

I'm sure there are a lot of Whovians in the Brony fandom, and I wanted to ask your opinion specifically on why you enjoy the show and don't see it as some inferior form of entertainment.

I ask this because my current situation is a bit...strange. The deal here is that all but one other person I know is a Whovian; the thing has spread at the speed of the Internet even though it was completely through word of mouth.

In contrast, aside from one person who I really don't know all that well, I'm the only Brony in our friend group. All the Whovians have refused to even give it a chance, and I can only think the reason would be that they think they've found their superior television show.

Now I'm not saying I hate Whovians. I don't, nor do I hate the show either (I've seen it myself but I'm not that into Sci-Fi). What I am saying is that the ones I've dealt with have been incredibly intolerant to Bronies because they think Dr. Who is the best.

This brings me back to my initial question: what appeal is there to Whovians in the show? In other words, what could I say to other Whovians that would show them this show is much more than what it started as.

Also, I already know about the reference in "It's About Time" and "Doctor Whooves", but I'm looking for anything else that could help.

And its probably also because that they hate the fanon Doctor Whooves when you think about it. The Doctor has never really turned into any other species other than being a human.

I enjoy MLP:FiM a lot, but if I had to chose between MLP and Doctor Who, I would probably chose Doctor Who, I'm sorry.

They're just so very different, and Doctor Who is, of course, more adult, while it is still pretty suitable for kids.

It introduces us top a whole new world, where almost everything is possible.

The feels, the plot, it's all genius made, and I have a lot of Doctor Who merchandize.

So I guess they can't be compared, and the best way for you to get your friends to accept you as a brony and possibly even like the show is to both wait, and then to ask them, to do you a favour as a friend.

But really, MLP:FiM changed my life, and if I had to chose between it and DW, it would be the hardest choice of my life. But in the end, they can't really be compared. Maybe you could show them some songs maybe? That's how my little brother turned brony.

Good luck!

Credentials: I've watched DW since... well since.

People get uptight about the strangest things sometimes. What you are experiencing is common among fans of any franchise, and due to the structure of the Doctor Who show it gets highlighted there a lot.

Many Whoovians get very possessive and defensive around 'their' show, much like Bronies. If they perceive something as mocking it or diminishing it, they get very upset about it. The older the fan, the less likely this is because the show contradicts itself so regularly and honestly a lot of the stuff is pretty darn silly. However, new fans can get so very caught up in it. Since moving to America, I've noticed this tendency in fans here more strongly than in Canada. Probably because the show is more foreign, being from England, hence the stigma around it is greater.

As an example: I was helping backstage at a costume contest the other day, and this lady had an almost complete Dalek costume (the most popular villains in the series). She got *extremely* upset with me, because I was make a joke about some of the companions (characters who regularly travel with the Doctor. There have been lots over the 50-year run of the show.) because she was taking it personally as an attack on the show itself. It didn't occurred to her that my being able to compare Rose Tyler (a companion from 2005+) to Dodo Chaplet (a companion from 1966), might indicate that I'm a fan of the show myself.

So basically, convincing Whoovians to give MLP a chance? If Doctor Whooves and the like won't get them curious, they're probably not in the right frame of mind to accept *anything* right now.

• Brohoof 1

Just so you know, I'm a whovian, so whovians are definitely in the fandom. Also, calling people from another fandom stupid is like callig your fandom stupid: It's idiotic, biased, and weird. Just see how they would like their fandom being laughed at.

(edited)

And its probably also because that they hate the fanon Doctor Whooves when you think about it. The Doctor has never really turned into any other species other than being a human.

Never say never, because with a franchise as long and varied as Doctor Who, there *will* be an example of something, even if it's ridiculous.

While the Doctor has never regenerated into a non-white human male, other Time Lords have demonstrated that their regenerations can be more highly varied. The Doctor mentions off-handedly that the Corsair had some times been male and at other times female in the new series [The Doctor's Wife]. But the deciding factor is Romana, in the classic series. Specifically the episode Armageddon Factor where the Time Lady Romana undergoes a voluntary regeneration and 'tries on' some new forms before settling on one, some of which were patently non-human.

Given this, it appears that the Doctor is not restricted to White Human Male, but is simply predisposed to it.

And I'm not going to go into all the BBC-approved materials like the various novels, comic series, annuals, etc., that are of questionable cannonicity. I'm limiting myself to the show itself. smile.png

Edited by Fhaolan

Well, I am a whovian and a Brony! I actually like both shows the same. Both have good stories, interesting characters and an awesome fan base. But if I HAD to pick a favorite, it would be MLP.

Babs: Ah' have seen both shows, and MLP is bettah! Thank Celestia ah' didn't cause a paradox from watching Mah Little Pony

• Brohoof 1

Well, you can probably tell that I'm a Whovian. From the sound of it, your friends just don't like ponies.

I find FiM fun because of the great animation, voice acting, and overall quality of the show. The fandom, of course, is always a great reason to love the show.

• Brohoof 1

Well I like both shows, however after the first season with Matt Smith I thought the show went worse (that's my opinion please don't hate me D,:) just because I thought it was aiming for a more family friendly approach which put me off considering the more family friendly approach and I really wasn't feeling the new story arc. However from what I saw the new story arc based around Clara is looking to be really good.

So I suppose reason I like the show is because of the story arcs and the great acting they all perform. However FiM appeals to me more because of the fandom, the high quality production and the more humorous stories in it.

• Brohoof 1