Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Firebolt's Guide to Making an Effective OC

Leafeon

Well, since it appears this fandom is full of bad OCs, I have decided to make a quickish guide to making an effective OC.

Looks

Looks are the most important thing when it comes to OCs, due to that being the first thing seen in an OC. If you can, draw it yourself. Pony creators limit originality, and just don't look good overall. You can always find a request thread, if you can't draw.

When designing your OC, make sure to make it have some fairly original points to it. However: You don't want to change too much from the norm. Since the show is our canon, you want to stay as close as possible to it. So, no broken horns, robot/insect (Unless changeling) wings or anything else of the sort. Simply changing the eyes slightly is very effective, and makes the whole thing pop more, though not something you see in the show.

For example, a slight change like the one I use for my OC. Generally, the lighter you go the more blind the OC looks (My OC is color blind, but you could get away with regular sight depending on how dark the eye stays.)

just_another_oc_thing__by_urdeh-d5xhdqh.

Now, that brings us on to overall color. For the base color, you want a pastel, as are most ponies on the show. Your OC is not the princess of the night, and therefore shouldn't look like her. Make sure your base color is above 70% brightness at least. Even that is pushing it. The lighter the better. White and dark grey are generally the prettiest colors, as is why Rarity and Vinyl Scratch have white coats, with only a bit of color.

As for mane, color doesn't matter. But: You do want it to be styled a bit differently, if you can. Having the same mane Vinyl Scratch has and pretty much every OC ever is quite dull. Experimenting with the style is the best way to find a style that suits your OC.

As for Cutie Mark, you want a dark one, since our coat is light. Since we want this to stand out as much as possible, use complimentary colors, or warm colors with cool colors. 

Personality

Personality isn't really a big thing. As long as you can execute it well in a roleplay, you're fine. Try to stay away from shyness, as a lot of people use shyness. But, other then that; knock yourself out. Just make sure that your character isn't always sad for no reason.

Backstory

And now this is where everyone ever suffers. Why is it so hard to write a backstory? I have no clue!

For some reason, writing a very dark and brooding backstory is the way to go. 

Wrong.

This is the (second) worst possible thing you could do for an OC. In Equestria, it's one of the happiest places ever. Having an OC's parents die because they were killed by King Sombra because they wanted to stop him and now the OC has to do the job is awful. Or have the OC's parents abandon them is also bad. Having a simple story of a pony who grew up with their parents is much better then mentioned. 

If you really want your OC to have no parents, make them have different views, and have your OC run away. That's much more common than death or abandonment.

Race

It's obvious that the pegasus is the most popular race. Why? Wings are sexy, that's why. Try to have a pegasus OC if their personality is a bit more happy and excitable.

A unicorn OC is a bit more difficult to execute then a pegasus, but it's, in my opinion, the better race (Unicorn master race). A unicorn is better with a more serious personality, depending on skill level. Speaking of skill level: Make sure it's pretty low. You can have something special (For example, my unicorn OC Hydrobeam can manipulate water somewhat), but try to only stick around levitation.

Earth ponies are the most undesirable race, as far as having your own OC goes. Though, it's great to have in a roleplay, due to the fact you can pretty much never be OP, plus,. any personality works well with Earth Ponies. They are very easy to do well, as well.

Don't make an allicorn OC. Just don't. The same reason I don't think Twilicorn will work well is the same reason these OCs don't. You can't have royalty, and have it not be treated like royalty. You can't have one of the most powerful race, and not have it be powerful. You can't have an OC with other races and it to be too powerful, either. That said: It really can't be done very well. 

-----------------

I believe that's it. If I missed anything, or you have any ideas, please let me know!

• Brohoof 21

A good guide with one error in my opinion. Instead of saying don't make an alicorn, I think it should say instead: I highly recommend you don't make an alicorn. It is very difficult to pull off and they usually end out bad.

I have a question though. My OC is shy (See full profile in signature). Is he still a good OC?

A good guide with one error in my opinion. Instead of saying don't make an alicorn, I think it should say instead: I highly recommend you don't make an alicorn. It is very difficult to pull off and they usually end out bad.

I have a question though. My OC is shy (See full profile in signature). Is he still a good OC?

All of this is suggestion. You don't need to follow any of it.

And, yea. Mine is a bit shy too, actually. :P I find that it's just that in every RP ever there's an OC who is shy. It's just more desirable to have any other personality.

Thanks for making this guide, Firebolt! Nice to see that you're back online again (haven't seen you much this week, but that's probably because of school :P)

I think it's very good to have a guide to making an OC, since there are quite a few crappy-looking ones floating around the forums... ugh. (Not to anyone in particular!)

The points you explained were very well-phrased, and should be clear enough for everyone to understand, however, I think you missed ONE tiny detail: for the mane, it should be originally drawn (as you stated) and it should also be colored in an original color. Example: We don't want a whole bunch of OC's with Rainbow manes, now, do we? 

Also, the mane color should be darker than the coat color, for a desirable result.

I think that's all you left out. Otherwise, the above is a perfect complete guide to making an OC.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Hullo. This is quite the interesting article you have on OC's, and I do agree with many of the points you are making here. You may want to elaborate more on personality, though. It is a VERY important part of a character. Personality matters very much, it is what makes ponies interesting and sometimes even relatable to. It dictates what their next move in fanfiction and RP's will be- and their personality is also defined by their philosophies, beliefs, and history (backstory). You're telling me to avoid one certain thing, and pointing me in the direction of another- that's good, I guess, but I don't think it's enough. We need more reasons, we need examples, EhTehCuh.

Some tips on the "Looks" section are quite useful for newbies. I'm glad you talked about colour and variety, as well as the Cutie Mark, of course. I think you might want to think about the "Colour doesn't matter" part of the mane, though. The entirety of the pony should go well with the colours on the rest of the body. AND the colours could also help to identify the pony's origins or job. For example, the Apples all have colours on the left side of the colour spectrum, same as the pples that they grow. Another would be a pony from some sort of arctic habitat- you'd expect colours closer to the right side of the spectrum, the colder colours from cyan to violet, very much like the way their habitat would look- their colours could even be complimentary to their place of origin, but I think I'm getting too far off track.

Also, I believe you will find this article to be useful: http://www.dawnsomewhere.com/ocguide/

Also, the mane color should be darker than the coat color, for a desirable result.

A very valid point. This is usually the norm when designing a pony, to make their mane darker than the coat.

Edited by RayFriedh
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

Thanks for making this guide, Firebolt! Nice to see that you're back online again (haven't seen you much this week, but that's probably because of school tongue.png)

I think it's very good to have a guide to making an OC, since there are quite a few crappy-looking ones floating around the forums... ugh. (Not to anyone in particular!)

The points you explained were very well-phrased, and should be clear enough for everyone to understand, however, I think you missed ONE tiny detail: for the mane, it should be originally drawn (as you stated) and it should also be colored in an original color. Example: We don't want a whole bunch of OC's with Rainbow manes, now, do we? 

I think that's all you left out. Otherwise, the above is a perfect complete guide to making an OC.

Actually, flaxen horses are sexy. Therefore; lighter is just as nice. (I'm too lazy to fix it. :3333)

100_0036.JPG

As far as coloring goes; I think that's implied. But, like I said before.

Edited by Mothybolt
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I agree with a lot of stuff that you wrote on here; however, at the same time, I'm hesitant towards the personality section. I hate when people make OC's with backstories that are purposefully overly depressing/OP, but having a character (Raindancer) that's similar to that, I don't see why you can't.

RP's or ideas aren't always canon (Equestria Divided, for example, is rather gruesome). It all depends on the story that you're in. Not everyone is happy-go-lucky everywhere, 

Besides that, excellent guide. smile.png

Edited by PinkieDaShy
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

This right here, i've never seen so much true in one sentence. Everyone wants to be the Batman and wangst all the way. Emo at its fullest, wanted to take revenge on the world that he was cast out and, for some reason, now he/she wants to save it. And sometimes its even the total oposite, they want to be the joker, lauging at death in the face, not becouse they're brave, but becouse they're dumb/flat out crazy. Also the shy guy. God i hate the shy guys/girls, there's ussualy nothing in their personalities beside their shyness and the people using this kind of caracters ussually (And am not naming no one specific) waste their 1 moment of awesome by wangsting right after their overcome their shyness, and then they go on with their usual shyness, they really never change...

And its not always a bad thing, but holy crap i saw this every 3 or 4 OC's.

Nobody wants to be the average joe, wich is a shame, understandable, but a shame. Everyone wants to be the very best at what they do.

Also:

Earth ponies are the most undesirable race, as far as having your own OC goes. Though, it's great to have in a roleplay, due to the fact you can pretty much never be OP, plus,. any personality works well with Earth Ponies. They are very easy to do well, as well.

That right there is a shame, everybody sees them as the usseless, I SAY BULLSHIT TO THAT!

If anything they can be the second most usefull of all (Still behind the unicorns, but not that much)

The pagasus have sexy wings, so their talents usually involve flying (Fluttershy being the exception) , they concentrate in speed and weather stuff and... that's about it. Sure, they're cool, but not soo much, they can make an hurricane... But only with other 100 pegasus helping dry.png if not they can make a good breeze, of course the only exception would be RD and the Sonic Rainboom, but even then its not THAT usefull, can you tell me what practical use that has? sure, its pretty, but thats about it. And if you take their wings out they're useless, the end.

Unicorns are usualy OP since they have magic, they will always have that special overflow of power (Or something) that saves them from danger... they basicaly Jedi. I hate this race, they're so overrated it hurts.

First the magic they have should always be linked with their talents, you can't cast "Fire spell level 3" or some shit if your talent doesnt involve it, if you're a musician, your power will involve things that have to do with music, like enchanting instruments to play at will or something, they all have Telequinesis, that a given, but not all of them can Teleport or cast Levitate, they just can't (That is if is not linked with their talent) . I mean it, you just can't pick up a book of magic and start making spells at will, just like you just can't pick a up a book on quantum mechanics and be a scientist. And again, if you take out the horn they're useless, they usually don't know how to live without magic just like a pegasus don't know how live without wings.

And then there's Earth ponies, the underdog of the bunch. Or is it? Think about it.

Did you saw those flying boats in the show? Or the hot air balloon? who do you think make those? Obviusly not the pagasy, why would they need that? The unicorns? They have magic, if anything they would have find a magic related solution, like they always do. And then there's the Earth ponies.

Ideas comes from necessity i say, and in a world with wings and magic, the earth ones have to create their own strength. These are the inventors, the creators and the scientists, the cunning minds and hooves of that world, these guys are what humans would be like in equestria. The kind of guys that would create giant robots in the future, do you see an unicorn or a pegasus building something like that? Sure, its implied that the earth ponies have some kind of special conection with the earth and that's why they can make food grow, okay, sure, whatever, but they're not limited just to make food, hell, their conection with nature only proves my point, these guys observe the environment, they study it, they're already scientist at heart.

That's what i hate when they say the earth ponies are useless, when they think of earth ponies they think of Bigmac, a kindhearted brute (No offence) and a farmer. When you think of earth ponies you should think of ninjas that can make obnoxious shit that can make you blind, think of Batman (Not the background) that can make flawless plans all the time, think of a mad scientist that can make giant robots or awesome gadgets, you can even create a MacGyver caracter that can make a bomb out of peper clips, duck tape and bubble gum. Think of that when you do an Earth pony caracter, they can be awesome.

Or you could just make a Brute that punches his way out of everything, there's nothing wrong in that.

Also they can be very versatile since they don't depend in anything really, if you take the horn or wings of a unicorn/pegasus, usually they don't know what to do, specialy if their talents are related with magic/flying, and their usually do, what exactly can you take from an Earth pony?

Well i think i rant enough about the issue, goodbye.

Edited by Revolver Bobcat
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

I think the biggest advice to give is to take time. Really just don't spend 10 minutes on a character and say "Hey look an -original- character!". I spent probably a good week on design and story for my OC, and I absolutely love how he turned out.

And he's an earth pony because Pegasus and Unicorns seem way too popular lol.

I'd also like to mention that some of the things the story and design things OP says to not do is subjective. The real problem with most stories and such is execution. People usually just kinda toss it over their shoulders like, "Yeah my parents are dead boohoo I'm badass etc" can be clearly seen to have poorly designed OC's. While Equestria is a bright and happy place, that doesn't mean there cannot be sorrow or pain. If a story is compelling enough, people can overlook clichés and enjoy the character. Problem two is that lots of people build OC's with no weakness or negative personality. You need to really make your character have flaws to be enticing, or else the character plateaus in development throughout its existence.

My two cents, hope it helps.

Edited by VigilSerus
  • Brohoof 3

I don't really get it, my OC Windy Runner (Link in my Sig) is viewed by lots of people in RP as being 'boring/bland' due to him not having a tragic past, being a happy go-lucky upbeat guy who constantly tries to score with the mares, and for generally being too 'normal'. But other than the fact that the picture of him is from a Pony Creator, he fits right in with what your guide says makes a good OC! What's up with that?

I don't really get it, my OC Windy Runner (Link in my Sig) is viewed by lots of people in RP as being 'boring/bland' due to him not having a tragic past, being a happy go-lucky upbeat guy who constantly tries to score with the mares, and for generally being too 'normal'. But other than the fact that the picture of him is from a Pony Creator, he fits right in with what your guide says makes a good OC! What's up with that?

Like I said, you should add characteristic flaws. This lets development happen and with development comes engagement. Now I don't mean make your character a huge ass (unless you want to idk lol), just make some quirks that could effect others so that the stories could become abrasive I suppose. No one is perfect, so shouldn't your OC.

• Brohoof 1

Like I said, you should add characteristic flaws. This lets development happen and with development comes engagement. Now I don't mean make your character a huge ass (unless you want to idk lol), just make some quirks that could effect others so that the stories could become abrasive I suppose. No one is perfect, so shouldn't your OC.

That's a good point. But my OC does have some pretty serious flaws. He's known to be a raunchy, rude, sometimes borderline sexist guy who is also downright lazy. Not to mention his habits of cheating on the pitch or lying to his friends...

(edited)

That's a good point. But my OC does have some pretty serious flaws. He's known to be a raunchy, rude, sometimes borderline sexist guy who is also downright lazy. Not to mention his habits of cheating on the pitch or lying to his friends...

Ah, didn't see that. Okay, I think what you should try and do is have your character try and overcome these flaws. Let them manifest in your character and become a part of the story you are trying to weave. The biggest point in a story is for change to happen in a character (unless you're the Buchanons in The Great Gatsby, then you have my permission to not learn a thing).

I'm actually feeling like I might be being too negative. Trying adding some great personality traits, ones that stand out. Dynamics is the key thing to implement.

Edited by VigilSerus
  • Brohoof 1

Ah, didn't see that. Okay, I think what you should try and do is have your character try and overcome these flaws. Let them manifest in your character and become a part of the story you are trying to weave. The biggest point in a story is for change to happen in a character (unless you're the Buchanons in The Great Gatsby, then you have my permission to not learn a thing).

I'm actually feeling like I might be being too negative. Trying adding some great personality traits, ones that stand out. Dynamics is the key thing to implement.

That's a good point. I could try that with any new RP's I join. I think his personality is balanced right now though, because he does have plenty of good as well as bad, like his tenacity at soccer, his friendliness and outgoing attitude, and having him overcome the hurdles of his flaws would make him more dynamic.

Bonus points for referencing one of my favorite novels by the way! wub.png

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well technically speaking I don't ever join any RP's since I don't really do RPs. But I do have to agree with a good bit of points your brought up.

Then again my OC is basically a ponysona, so yeah tongue.png.

I did mine in pony creator to be honest, but I did spent a good bit of time fixing him just right, especially with color scheme. I don't know if hes actually anything special to be honest. But in another sense it doesn't matter a whole lot to me since I'm not going to be doing RP's actually tongue.png.

Backstory is something I've yet to get around to really. Might get around to it someday tongue.png.

Great guide overall Firebolt!

Edited by Zygen
  • Brohoof 2

That right there is a shame, everybody sees them as the usseless, I SAY BULLSHIT TO THAT!

If anything they can be the second most usefull of all (Still behind the unicorns, but not that much)

The pagasus have sexy wings, so their talents usually involve flying (Fluttershy being the exception) , they concentrate in speed and weather stuff and... that's about it. Sure, they're cool, but not soo much, they can make an hurricane... But only with other 100 pegasus helping img-1353874-1-dry.png if not they can make a good breeze, of course the only exception would be RD and the Sonic Rainboom, but even then its not THAT usefull, can you tell me what practical use that has? sure, its pretty, but thats about it. And if you take their wings out they're useless, the end.

Unicorns are usualy OP since they have magic, they will always have that special overflow of power (Or something) that saves them from danger... they basicaly Jedi. I hate this race, they're so overrated it hurts.

First the magic they have should always be linked with their talents, you can't cast "Fire spell level 3" or some shit if your talent doesnt involve it, if you're a musician, your power will involve things that have to do with music, like enchanting instruments to play at will or something, they all have Telequinesis, that a given, but not all of them can Teleport or cast Levitate, they just can't (That is if is not linked with their talent) . I mean it, you just can't pick up a book of magic and start making spells at will, just like you just can't pick a up a book on quantum mechanics and be a scientist. And again, if you take out the horn they're useless, they usually don't know how to live without magic just like a pegasus don't know how live without wings.

And then there's Earth ponies, the underdog of the bunch. Or is it? Think about it.

Did you saw those flying boats in the show? Or the hot air balloon? who do you think make those? Obviusly not the pagasy, why would they need that? The unicorns? They have magic, if anything they would have find a magic related solution, like they always do. And then there's the Earth ponies.

Ideas comes from necessity i say, and in a world with wings and magic, the earth ones have to create their own strength. These are the inventors, the creators and the scientists, the cunning minds and hooves of that world, these guys are what humans would be like in equestria. The kind of guys that would create giant robots in the future, do you see an unicorn or a pegasus building something like that? Sure, its implied that the earth ponies have some kind of special conection with the earth and that's why they can make food grow, okay, sure, whatever, but they're not limited just to make food, hell, their conection with nature only proves my point, these guys observe the environment, they study it, they're already scientist at heart.

That's what i hate when they say the earth ponies are useless, when they think of earth ponies they think of Bigmac, a kindhearted brute (No offence) and a farmer. When you think of earth ponies you should think of ninjas that can make obnoxious shit that can make you blind, think of Batman (Not the background) that can make flawless plans all the time, think of a mad scientist that can make giant robots or awesome gadgets, you can even create a MacGyver caracter that can make a bomb out of peper clips, duck tape and bubble gum. Think of that when you do an Earth pony caracter, they can be awesome.

Or you could just make a Brute that punches his way out of everything, there's nothing wrong in that.

Also they can be very versatile since they don't depend in anything really, if you take the horn or wings of a unicorn/pegasus, usually they don't know what to do, specialy if their talents are related with magic/flying, and their usually do, what exactly can you take from an Earth pony?

Well i think i rant enough about the issue, goodbye.

Actually, I agree completely. However; in the terms of a roleplay, an Earth Pony rarely gets to use these gifts. Such things are generally readily available. Not to mention; most people have earth ponies' special talent be... apple picking.

As far as uselessness, it all depends on how well your roleplay is set up. Which is quite rare, unless you're in advanced ones, or so it seems (I've only ever been in one very good roleplay, which is still going, that's also a normal one). So yea.

(edited)

Actually, I agree completely. However; in the terms of a roleplay, an Earth Pony rarely gets to use these gifts. Such things are generally readily available.

Yeah, that sucks, and somehow unicorns can teleport and pegasus go beyond the sound barrier anyway :| , how much sense does that make?

Not to mention; most people have earth ponies' special talent be... apple picking.

That... that's just sad :'|

As far as uselessness, it all depends on how well your roleplay is set up. Which is quite rare, unless you're in advanced ones, or so it seems (I've only ever been in one very good roleplay, which is still going, that's also a normal one). So yea.

Eh, its definetely better in an advance one, but it could be aplied to a normal one if you put a few more minutes into the caracter fitting in the RP (Although its harder for earth ponies to fit in anything really) , And besides, the diference between the races is that unicorns can move things from afar and pegasus can fly, that's it, its not really that diferent anyway.

If you are a detective then what's the big diference if you are an Earth pony or an Unicorn? Like, you have detective spells? (I don't even know what that is...) okay, sure, be a CSI caracter, the Earth ponies will be Humphrey Bogart.

That's what i mean with this, when you think of Earth ponies, they should think of Humans, what Humans can do and if you still think that Eath ponies are nothing special, why don't you can ask anyone how "Harmless" or "Useless" Humans can be?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Well, since it appears this fandom is full of bad OCs, I have decided to make a quickish guide to making an effective OC.

Looks

Looks are the most important thing when it comes to OCs, due to that being the first thing seen in an OC. If you can, draw it yourself. Pony creators limit originality, and just don't look good overall. You can always find a request thread, if you can't draw.

When designing your OC, make sure to make it have some fairly original points to it. However: You don't want to change too much from the norm. Since the show is our canon, you want to stay as close as possible to it. So, no broken horns, robot/insect (Unless changeling) wings or anything else of the sort. Simply changing the eyes slightly is very effective, and makes the whole thing pop more, though not something you see in the show.

For example, a slight change like the one I use for my OC. Generally, the lighter you go the more blind the OC looks (My OC is color blind, but you could get away with regular sight depending on how dark the eye stays.)

img-1342455-1-just_another_oc_thing__by_

Now, that brings us on to overall color. For the base color, you want a pastel, as are most ponies on the show. Your OC is not the princess of the night, and therefore shouldn't look like her. Make sure your base color is above 70% brightness at least. Even that is pushing it. The lighter the better. White and dark grey are generally the prettiest colors, as is why Rarity and Vinyl Scratch have white coats, with only a bit of color.

As for mane, color doesn't matter. But: You do want it to be styled a bit differently, if you can. Having the same mane Vinyl Scratch has and pretty much every OC ever is quite dull. Experimenting with the style is the best way to find a style that suits your OC.

As for Cutie Mark, you want a dark one, since our coat is light. Since we want this to stand out as much as possible, use complimentary colors, or warm colors with cool colors. 

Personality

Personality isn't really a big thing. As long as you can execute it well in a roleplay, you're fine. Try to stay away from shyness, as a lot of people use shyness. But, other then that; knock yourself out. Just make sure that your character isn't always sad for no reason.

Backstory

And now this is where everyone ever suffers. Why is it so hard to write a backstory? I have no clue!

Wrong.

This is the (second) worst possible thing you could do for an OC. In Equestria, it's one of the happiest places ever. Having an OC's parents die because they were killed by King Sombra because they wanted to stop him and now the OC has to do the job is awful. Or have the OC's parents abandon them is also bad. Having a simple story of a pony who grew up with their parents is much better then mentioned. 

If you really want your OC to have no parents, make them have different views, and have your OC run away. That's much more common than death or abandonment.

Race

It's obvious that the pegasus is the most popular race. Why? Wings are sexy, that's why. Try to have a pegasus OC if their personality is a bit more happy and excitable.

A unicorn OC is a bit more difficult to execute then a pegasus, but it's, in my opinion, the better race (Unicorn master race). A unicorn is better with a more serious personality, depending on skill level. Speaking of skill level: Make sure it's pretty low. You can have something special (For example, my unicorn OC Hydrobeam can manipulate water somewhat), but try to only stick around levitation.

Don't make an allicorn OC. Just don't. The same reason I don't think Twilicorn will work well is the same reason these OCs don't. You can't have royalty, and have it not be treated like royalty. You can't have one of the most powerful race, and not have it be powerful. You can't have an OC with other races and it to be too powerful, either. That said: It really can't be done very well. 

-----------------

I believe that's it. If I missed anything, or you have any ideas, please let me know!

Mhmm... mhmm...

So, I see you say that. Let me tell you about my alicorn (and main) OC Nightfall. He gets beat up nearly every fight, and sometimes to the point of near death.

Now, is that OP.

Nope.

Alicorn OCs are doable, but the non-OP, the "better but still hated because alicorns are rare blah blah blah" are truly hard to find. It's probably best that you don't attempted it unless the stars align and you can pull one off well.

That is a better way to say it.

Edited by Nightfall

(edited)

Mhmm... mhmm...

So, I see you say that. Let me tell you about my alicorn (and main) OC Nightfall. He gets beat up nearly every fight, and sometimes to the point of near death.

Now, is that OP.

Nope.

Alicorn OCs are doable, but the non-OP, the "better but still hated because alicorns are rare blah blah blah" are truly hard to find. It's probably best that you don't attempted it unless the stars align and you can pull one off well.

That is a better way to say it.

Uh... no...

For one thing, having an allicorn that always gets beat up and loses fights would be considered a depressing backstory. Allicorns are represented in the show as having the greatest power of all ponies, so how does that work? 

Not to mention, the whole royalty thing still applies. As canon states: all allicorns are royalty. And, royalty should be treated as such. Which they never are. If the Queen walked up to your door, asking for your services, would you just breeze it off? Didn't think so, but this is what happens in most/all RPs.

Again with my first point, being underpowered is just as bad as being overpowered (Not good). Having a character that should reach a certain expectation but goes severely under it is the same thing as going severely over it.

The bit from the part I bolded I don't understand. Would you mind clarifying? I see allicorn OCs who are hated due to being an allicorn (for some reason...) all the time. That's not very rare.

Please note: All of this is subjective.

Edited by Firebolt
  • Brohoof 1

Uh... no...

For one thing, having an allicorn that always gets beat up and loses fights would be considered a depressing backstory. Allicorns are represented in the show as having the greatest power of all ponies, so how does that work? 

Not to mention, the whole royalty thing still applies. As canon states: all allicorns are royalty. And, royalty should be treated as such. Which they never are. If the Queen walked up to your door, asking for your services, would you just breeze it off? Didn't think so, but this is what happens in most/all RPs.

Again with my first point, being underpowered is just as bad as being overpowered (Not good). Having a character that should reach a certain expectation but goes severely under it is the same thing as going severely over it.

The bit from the part I bolded I don't understand. Would you mind clarifying? I see allicorn OCs who are hated due to being an allicorn (for some reason...) all the time. That's not very rare.

Please note: All of this is subjective.

He's not exactly under-powered either, but at least he's not over-powered.

And I meant that alicorns who are better because they're not OP or UP are hard to find, yet will still be hated on because they're alicorns, and they're royalty, and they're rare, and crap like that.

(edited)

He's not exactly under-powered either, but at least he's not over-powered.

And I meant that alicorns who are better because they're not OP or UP are hard to find, yet will still be hated on because they're alicorns, and they're royalty, and they're rare, and crap like that.

But i think what he/she meant was that alicorns are meant to be rare, royalty and (To some extend) more powerfull that the average Unicorn, also their talents are related to greater things that the usual pony. Plus, and this is the hard part to do, Alicorns seems like they're "Made" not born, so it's natural for them to be in some respects "Better" by definition. Maybe you could do an ill alicorn, or maybe an old one to make it less powerfull i guess, but they'll always be above averange in magic power and always be royalty, unless the RP context says no that is.

What im trying to say is that there's nothing casual about being an alicorn and therefore its not posible to make a casual alicorn.

But you don't have to please me, you can do whatever you want.

• Brohoof 1

I really like this guide it is basic but gets the point across for people who make really bad OCs! I also love your OC Firebolt its is really nice! Also what would you think of my main OC Frozen Mint, just her main design though, basically she is a loud and proud pony who is a tomboy. (Thats all you really need to know...) 

But anyways I love your guide!

• Brohoof 2

I really like this guide it is basic but gets the point across for people who make really bad OCs! I also love your OC Firebolt its is really nice! Also what would you think of my main OC Frozen Mint, just her main design though, basically she is a loud and proud pony who is a tomboy. (Thats all you really need to know...) 

But anyways I love your guide!

She looks pretty good, in my opinion.

The only thing would be to maybe make the backstory longer. Which is not to say it`s not good ; it is, but it could be expanded upon to make much better.

Look wise: She looks pretty good. The only thing is that I don`t really like the eye color you chose. I think a dark brown or dark green would be a bit nicer.

Also; try not to use "My pony" at the start of a sentence.

• Brohoof 1

She looks pretty good, in my opinion.

The only thing would be to maybe make the backstory longer. Which is not to say it`s not good ; it is, but it could be expanded upon to make much better.

Look wise: She looks pretty good. The only thing is that I don`t really like the eye color you chose. I think a dark brown or dark green would be a bit nicer.

Also; try not to use "My pony" at the start of a sentence.

Thanks! This really helps! I changed my OC, picture and backstory, I even changed the colour of her eyes, if you would like to have a look at the improved version be my guest! :)

http://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/frozen-mint-r2710