Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

General Chat Thread

Apple      Bloom

I was just about to post something about that, but I see it's already up. I never was an Apple fan, but cancer's no way to go for anyone. Luna will cry for you Steve. The world has lost a great man.

• Brohoof 1
  • Party! 1

Posted Image

I hope this isn't in too bad of taste, but they should play the Mac startup noise at his funeral.

That pony is amazing thank you for sharing that!

• Brohoof 1
  • Shocked 1

Steve Jobs is up in the iClouds now. :(

In all seriousness though, I'm pretty bummed. Seeing him when he stepped down, I wasn't all too shocked to hear about it tonight. Hopefully his name will be preserved in history as one of the greatest minds of our time. RIP

• Brohoof 1
  • Delighted Giggle 1

You have to admit this is a pretty cool ad.

I like this newer approach. Instead of a lot of bashing on the other companies, they show this kind of respect to the customers and try to make their products the best they can be. They don't shove the assumption "We're the best thing ever" in your face, but rather imply a sense of greatness. Hiding a bunch of easter eggs helps, too.

I'm sure another stupid Jack Tretton quote will come along to attract hate (he's a tool, that's just how it is), but this gesture is appreciated.

Edited by Vinyl Scratch
  • Brohoof 2
  • Excited 1

You know, it's bad manners to make people laugh out loud when someone's just died. You make me hate myself. :blush:

haha, I was just trying to lighten the mood a bit ;)

But yeah, I am very sad that he died. This man was a visionary. I'm convinced that we wouldn't be using a computer the way we do if he hadn't existed. He most definitely changed the way we use technology for the best. He will be missed, and I hope that his name will always be remembered.

• Brohoof 1
  • Shocked 1

Posted Image

Steve Jobs may be dead, but there is no reason to lament over it. A dead person is a dead person and there's no point fretting over what's in the past. If his work positively impacted you, feel grateful for him. If it didn't impact you positively, move on like it's another day.

• Brohoof 1
  • Delighted Giggle 1

You have to admit this is a pretty cool ad.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_fPtazfALA

I like this newer approach. Instead of a lot of bashing on the other companies, they show this kind of respect to the customers and try to make their products the best they can be. They don't shove the assumption "We're the best thing ever" in your face, but rather imply a sense of greatness. Hiding a bunch of easter eggs helps, too.

I'm sure another stupid Jack Tretton quote will come along to attract hate (he's a tool, that's just how it is), but this gesture is appreciated.

Man I got chills when I watched this. It was so awesome! :wub:
  • Brohoof 1
  • Shocked 1

Evilshy asked me this in another thread, I'm responding here so we don't derail that one. Regarding the classic TBS game Alpha Centauri...

*brohoof*

What faction is your favorite to play? I'm usually the university or Spartans. and i pretty much always go for conquest. Even if I win a different way, I keep playing until I kill everyone XD

Well, of the traditional factions I kinda rotated who I liked the best. It all depended on what style of victory I wanted to go for. Usually I preferred the University, but the Spartans and the Hive were both real fun. Occasionally I went with the Gaians just for fun so I could go out and capture a bunch of mind worms, and them PSI the crap out of my enemies, no matter what weapon technology they had. That and being able to use xenofungus as roads was totally epic. I could lose pursuers in that stuff so easy, and then turn around and ambush them. :D

I got tired of the traditional factions though and so I created my own. I went into the game files and replaced the Peacekeepers with my own invention called the Cylerian Alliance. All new city names, new faction stats, all that. And then I had to edit some other game files too, I changed around the economies a bit because I didn't like the balance. That -5 police on Fee Market was ridiculous. So I sorta customed my game a bunch. It's been forever since I played just the stock game. ;)

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1

I love the xenoempathy dome project. It's so fun to make a pact with somebody, send in formers to plant fungus all over their territory, then break the pact and use all the fungus as roads while they can barely move at all XD

I have made a few of my own factions, but how do you change the other stuff, such as the social engineering you're talking about?

• Brohoof 1
  • Shocked 1

I have made a few of my own factions, but how do you change the other stuff, such as the social engineering you're talking about?

Well, in the game files, which you can locate through windows explorer, there are a number of .txt documents which have all the game information stored in them. There's one named alpha, and a bunch of others for the different factions. You can go into each of those and edit away to your heart's content. Just be very careful to 1, make backups of the originals so you won't have to reinstall the game if things go wrong, and 2, make sure the files match. Let me explain the second. If you go into, say, Peace, which is the file for the Peacekeepers faction and change stuff around, make sure the changes are reflected in alpha, because that's the main file for stuff. Like when I transformed the peacekeeprs into the C.A. I had to go into alpha to correlate the changes, and that's also where I changed the other things. You won't be able to change the name of the files, so in mine Peace is still Peace even though it's a new faction. But you can change what's inside the file plenty. :)

If you want, I could email you the file changes I made for my setup. I have them all saved to a jump drive so whenever I reinstall the game I can load all my changes in like, 10 seconds flat. ;)

Oooh, I just had an idea. I've got to go create a new faction now. Maybe the Gaians or something. Replace them with Equestria. And then name all the cities for places in the show. Canterlot would be the capital, and Ponyville, and Manehatten, and Fillydelphia, and Appeloosa... oh yeah, new project! This could be fun. :D

Edited by Tyroq
  • Brohoof 1
  • Delighted Giggle 1

Well, in the game files, which you can locate through windows explorer, there are a number of .txt documents which have all the game information stored in them. There's one named alpha, and a bunch of others for the different factions. You can go into each of those and edit away to your heart's content. Just be very careful to 1, make backups of the originals so you won't have to reinstall the game if things go wrong, and 2, make sure the files match. Let me explain the second. If you go into, say, Peace, which is the file for the Peacekeepers faction and change stuff around, make sure the changes are reflected in alpha, because that's the main file for stuff. Like when I transformed the peacekeeprs into the C.A. I had to go into alpha to correlate the changes, and that's also where I changed the other things. You won't be able to change the name of the files, so in mine Peace is still Peace even though it's a new faction. But you can change what's inside the file plenty. :)

If you want, I could email you the file changes I made for my setup. I have them all saved to a jump drive so whenever I reinstall the game I can load all my changes in like, 10 seconds flat. ;)

Oooh, I just had an idea. I've got to go create a new faction now. Maybe the Gaians or something. Replace them with Equestria. And then name all the cities for places in the show. Canterlot would be the capital, and Ponyville, and Manehatten, and Fillydelphia, and Appeloosa... oh yeah, new project! This could be fun. :D

yeah, i found it. made a bunch of changes that had been bugging me (like the free market one. also, i dont see how democracy is extra efficiency, since it takes so long to get anything done for real). its actually pretty fun to do, except when i have to come up with like 30 city names >_<

• Brohoof 1
  • Shocked 1

yeah, i found it. made a bunch of changes that had been bugging me (like the free market one. also, i dont see how democracy is extra efficiency, since it takes so long to get anything done for real). its actually pretty fun to do, except when i have to come up with like 30 city names >_<

That's one of my favorite parts, coming up with city names! I'm sort of a think tank kind of person. I've got tons of names for various things floating around in my head, so playing around with new factions or civilizations is a great way for me to put them to use. :D

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1

Voice control + GLaDOS's insults and deeply sarcastic tone = The ultimate iphone.

If this was the default voice for the Siri app, it would be hard to overstate my satisfaction.

Edited by Swoop
  • Brohoof 1
  • Shocked 1