Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

General Chat Thread

Apple      Bloom

Just now, CypherHoof said:

Sounds a lot like Asimov's Nightfall?

I keep hearing people mention that story; the only Asimov story I know of is "how do you reverse entropy?" and the computer says "insufficient data".

Just now, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

I keep hearing people mention that story; the only Asimov story I know of is "how do you reverse entropy?" and the computer says "insufficient data".

Well, no, eventually it says "let there be light" :D

Nightfall was originally a short story, but he did a full novel treatment of it later in life in collaboration with one of the other golden age authors - probably Silverberg.

2 minutes ago, CypherHoof said:

Well, no, eventually it says "let there be light" :D

Nightfall was originally a short story, but he did a full novel treatment of it later in life in collaboration with one of the other golden age authors - probably Silverberg.

I'm an idiot. I had another Asimov story right next to me and I didn't even notice: I, Robot.

I'm an idiot. I had another Asimov story right next to me and I didn't even notice: I, Robot.

That was a whole book of short stories wasn't it?
Been a long time since I read those though. The full length novels around R Daneel were awesome.

14 minutes ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

OK, but how about this: a planet with two suns but the suns orbit so far from each other that the planet effectively orbits one sun but still receives the heat of its second sun? Basically at certain points of its orbit, when you think that one sun sets over the horizon, the second sun rises at the same time.

Well, the rise of the sun isn't the orbit, but I like the idea.

Binary stars are actually quite common. It's all about how you present a potential 'cliche' - if your style is developed enough, and people read you for your style, it doesn't matter what you write about. Just don't depend on concepts to make your stories pop - depend on 'your voice', your style.

Robert Jordan was a very successful writer, and the Wheel of Time was, at its fundamental level, cliche after cliche!

11 minutes ago, Sir Punicpunch said:

Well, the rise of the sun isn't the orbit, but I like the idea.

Well, there's two ways a planet can have two suns:

1. The Tatooine method: planet orbits the barycenter of two closely orbiting stars

2. The "Anti-Tatooine" method: the stars are so far from each other that the two stars can have their own planets, but the stars are still close enough to be visible from its companion star's planets.

And yes, there are vids on both:

1 minute ago, Mirage77 said:

Binary stars are actually quite common. It's all about how you present a potential 'cliche' - if your style is developed enough, and people read you for your style, it doesn't matter what you write about. Just don't depend on concepts to make your stories pop - depend on 'your voice', your style.

Robert Jordan was a very successful writer, and the Wheel of Time was, at its fundamental level, cliche after cliche!

Well, I'm not writing anything, though (never really liked writing, anyway); I'm more like building entire star systems in Universe Sandbox^2 and then populating them afterwards.

1 minute ago, Sir Punicpunch said:

Not really that bad.

I put a cookie in a fluffernutter, I may have exaggerated. I was bored.

You broke me when you said fluffernutter.

Edited by Ganaram Inukshuk

... I've never heard of putting marshmallow fluff on a sandwich before...

What do you do with it?

Also, the caption for the picture on the page kills me.

"...prior to their being united into a Fluffernutter sandwich."

Sounds pretty dramatic for simply making a sandwich.

Just now, Sir Punicpunch said:

What do you do with it?

Also, the caption for the picture on the page kills me.

"...prior to their being united into a Fluffernutter sandwich."

Sounds pretty dramatic for simply making a sandwich.

My family never buys marshmallow fluff, let alone put it on sandwiches, so I have no name for such a combination. The only combination I know of (other than PBJ) is cheese and pineapple jam, and I don't even like that combo.

My family never buys marshmallow fluff, let alone put it on sandwiches, so I have no name for such a combination. The only combination I know of (other than PBJ) is cheese and pineapple jam, and I don't even like that combo.

That sounds weird to me.

Well, the primary use of marshmallow fluff is to make fluffernutters anyways.

2 minutes ago, Sir Punicpunch said:

That sounds weird to me.

Well, the primary use of marshmallow fluff is to make fluffernutters anyways.

I always thought marshmallow fluff was used for baking...

2 minutes ago, Sir Punicpunch said:

Well, the two most obvious uses are sandwiches and making fudge.

That's what it says on the container anyways.

I never marshmallow fluff... What else did I miss out?