Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

General Chat Thread

Apple      Bloom

7 minutes ago, Sir Punicpunch said:

He's pretty solid yeah. A lot of the show is the utilization of the other side characters though, and while it usually doesn't end up this way, it can cause a bit of a tug-of-war for the spotlight.

Prime example being Iida and Uraraka. They were originally shown to be the two main side characters while Bakugo was a sort of deuteragonist. But by the time season 3 rolled along Iida and Uraraka barely show up more than any of the other side characters and Todoroki began to take more of the screentime.

Not that I hate Todoroki or Bakugo, and there is more than enough time to develop all five of the characters, especially since Iida had his whole character arc with Stain and such.

That's the problem when you have so many side characters. They just introduce more every season, too. This happened with bleach and it wasn't pretty... always focus on a smaller cast

9 minutes ago, Sir Punicpunch said:

I just don't particularly like the whole pervert trope, it's unsettling.

It's the most reliable form of comic relief for the japanese 

1 minute ago, Olly said:

That's the problem when you have so many side characters. They just introduce more every season, too. This happened with bleach and it wasn't pretty... always focus on a smaller cast

Some of them you can ignore, some of them the audience wants you to quit ignoring, and some of them the audience wants you to start ignoring. Depends on how interesting you can make the characters, and in MHA they always make the characters have very unique characteristics so that the audience can get interested quickly.

Edited by Sir Punicpunch

5 minutes ago, Sir Punicpunch said:

Just an upgrade then?

At least he gets a good moment in the Final Exams Arc.

Yeah, there are a lot of characters, so there are bound to be ones you just forget.

Is going from Samsung Galaxy S7 to Samsung Galaxy Note 9 considered an upgrade?

2 minutes ago, Sir Punicpunch said:

Some of them you can ignore, some of them the audience wants you to quit ignoring, and some of them the audience wants you to start ignoring. Depends on how interesting you can make the characters, and in MHA they always make the characters have very unique characteristics so that the audience can get interested quickly.

I think the show would have really benefited by having deku, todoroki and bakugo as the main focus but that can't be done when there's so many others competing for the focus as you said

4 minutes ago, Olly said:

I think the show would have really benefited by having deku, todoroki and bakugo as the main focus but that can't be done when there's so many others competing for the focus as you said

Todoroki is an interesting part of the show in that even though he had his arc he still gets a lot of screentime simply because he is by far the most powerful of all the other students. Obviously Deku and Bakugo are always going to be the main focus though.

2 minutes ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

The Note has a writing stick...

That's not the only difference though is it?

Also, I despise handwriting on devices, it irritates me.

Edited by Sir Punicpunch

1 minute ago, Sir Punicpunch said:

Todoroki is an interesting part of the show in that even though he had his arc he still gets a lot of screentime simply because he is by far the most powerful of all the other students. Obviously Deku and Bakugo are always going to be the main focus though.

Well let me ask you this: who's your favorite character?

Just now, Sir Punicpunch said:

Well, I would say it isn't about their quirks.

But another part of me screaming in the back of my head tells me that's all that matters.

Other things matter too. Now next in importance: who's the most attractive character? 

5 minutes ago, Sir Punicpunch said:

Not sure I could answer that question in all honesty.

I guess anime fans who just want to see anime girls won't have much to work with. There's not that many female characters 

5 minutes ago, Olly said:

I guess anime fans who just want to see anime girls won't have much to work with. There's not that many female characters 

There actually are quite a few females in the show. only 6 of the 1-A students are female but there are a few students in other classes and heroes that are female.

I suppose an argument should be made for Mina. She gets almost no spotlight in the show despite having a crazy quirk when all the other students have at least gotten a very memorable moment. But I guess she goes into the corner of forgettable characters along with Tail-Guy, Sugar-Rush, and Invisible Girl.

But I do at least like the dynamic of Momo's quirk where it is only really useful because she knows how to build devices like speakers.

Edited by Sir Punicpunch

There actually are quite a few females in the show. only 6 of the 1-A students are female but there are a few students in other classes and heroes that are female.

I suppose an argument should be made for Mina. She gets almost no spotlight in the show despite having a crazy quirk when all the other students have at least gotten a very memorable moment. But I guess she goes into the corner of forgettable characters along with Tail-Guy, Sugar-Rush, and Invisible Girl.

But I do at least like the dynamic of Momo's quirk where it is only really useful because she knows how to build devices like speakers.

Oh yeeaah. Honestly some of those didn't even come to my mind... don't think that says anything good about them

Just now, Olly said:

Oh yeeaah. Honestly some of those didn't even come to my mind... don't think that says anything good about them

Female characters I guess are harder to write for some reason. I couldn't explain exactly why but I heard it from this video which did an okay job at explaining it:

I think Tsu and Momo get some good rep though.

4 minutes ago, Sir Punicpunch said:

Female characters I guess are harder to write for some reason. 

Hmm I don't think they are. Dialogue can be pinned to any character regardless of gender... you could switch izuku's gender to female and keep him pretty much the same person. It's just that MHA is a work in the Shonen genre, about boys and for boys. There do exist action hero-type characters from other anime like Ryuko Matoi, for example... she's written pretty well. I just think the girls in MHA are side characters that aren't particularly interesting because they don't really do anything important in the story

Just now, Olly said:

Hmm I don't think they are. Dialogue can be pinned to any character regardless of gender... you could switch izuku's gender to female and keep him pretty much the same person. It's just that MHA is a work in the Shonen genre, about boys and for boys. There do exist action hero-type characters from other anime like Ryuko Matoi, for example... she's written pretty well. I just think the girls in MHA are side characters that aren't particularly interesting because they don't really do anything important in the story

That's where my "apparently" and "I guess" came from, because I completely understand and agree with everything you just wrote.

Also, I'm pretty sure the only reason Uraraka is relevant at all because she is the generated protagonist romantic interest.

That's where my "apparently" and "I guess" came from, because I completely understand and agree with everything you just wrote.

Also, I'm pretty sure the only reason Uraraka is relevant at all because she is the generated protagonist romantic interest.

Honestly I'd rather she'd not be the obligatory female love interest so I can go on pretending izuku is gay. But since this is an action show they haven't (and probably won't) get too deep into the love interest angle 

1 minute ago, Olly said:

Honestly I'd rather she'd not be the obligatory female love interest so I can go on pretending izuku is gay. But since this is an action show they haven't (and probably won't) get too deep into the love interest angle 

They sure are building it up at least a little bit. But yeah, it is refreshing when a show doesn't make an obligatory romantic subplot.

6 minutes ago, Sir Punicpunch said:

They sure are building it up at least a little bit. But yeah, it is refreshing when a show doesn't make an obligatory romantic subplot.

They don't have time, too many people to hit and not enough filler

7 minutes ago, Sir Punicpunch said:

There's a bit of filler, but it's usually wasted or underutilized.

I can only remember a single filler episode, off the top of my head. When they do the pretend solve the crime thing

oh and when they looked at the rooms

Edited by Olly