Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Miss H said:

Hmm? What's up, hun?

I tried fiction writing again...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

I tried fiction writing again...

Is it not going as you were planning or what?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

2 minutes ago, Miss H said:

Is it not going as you were planning or what?

...Yeah... I fumbled...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm I haven't been in here in ages.. So I will poke my muzzle in and see what's going on. -boops Ganny-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

43 minutes ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

...Yeah... I fumbled...

What exactly did you fumble up? and is it even really fumbled since its something you're making, you can always just try and work around it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

9 minutes ago, Miss H said:

What exactly did you fumble up? and is it even really fumbled since its something you're making, you can always just try and work around it.

 

I'm trying to numb my mind over it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Miss H

Well...

9 minutes ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

Oftentimes I dwell on mistakes nonstop.

Unless I can make a writing style work the same way as my art styles, I don't wanna bother with writing...

I'm not good with dialogue because it often reflects my own speaking style; if I use that, it'll be full of quirks that are simply seen as errors. Stream of consciousness suffers the same problem but is slightly more workable since there's no character to character interaction.

I have more experience with drawing than writing that I know when I'm being told unworkable advice (my no-advice policy still stands, even if it makes me unpopular with the self-proclaimed "true artists"), but writing is so underdeveloped that being told I'm doing something wrong is like being told my life is wrong.

I should've stuck with computer science, shouldn't I?

 

I went with gamedev because it encompasses everything I knew how to do...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(edited)
6 hours ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

@Miss H

Well...

 

I went with gamedev because it encompasses everything I knew how to do...

Spoiler

 

I'm just going to outright say that a "no-advice policy" is literally shooting yourself in the foot and with some kind of slug round at that. Only made worse with the mindset of there being "self-proclaimed true artists" when being an artist in general is already self-proclaimed to start with. Not to mention it has the vibe of sort of an anti-elitist way of thought, in that it's basically an elitist idea, just backwards.

 

As for the rest of it, mistakes are there to help people grow. Dwelling on them isn't entirely bad, but you've gotta find a way to use those mistakes for improving. I've heard friends before say the same thing before and they all pretty much say the same thing in saying its rather hard to really push out or at least away for a bit, but that's where finding a work-around comes in. This doesn't mean do it every single time or go out of your way to fix them pronto. Sometimes, just coming to terms with them and leaving them be is the best solution. Granted, that can still be harder done than said, so yeah.

You won't develop a writing style if you actively avoid writing. I despise the style of my music production half the time because I always want myself to do one or two certain genres and with these certain characteristics, but I always fight against that and still go mess around from time to time and still make some good jams. I may not have a very distinct style at all, really, but its still _my_ style at the moment and it can only pick up with more and more practice. I'd literally never be touching my DAW if I just outright said no because its not a style I want.

 

I can't give any advice on helping with the dialogue problem, as I'm not a writer at all and I barely RP still, so I can't help there. That seems like something you'll have to come to terms on yourself. I'm not certain how to separate your own quirks from stuff like that and I can't say if its normally hard to do or not. I do know, its do-able with enough time put into it though.

 

Gonna spoiler for the size.

Edited by Miss H

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

(edited)
5 hours ago, Miss H said:

Gonna spoiler for the size.

I just don't wanna keep correcting people trying to correct me over a stylistic choice that's misinterpreted as something incomplete or made in error.

I'm no stranger to rejecting feedback either because it conflicts with my style or because I've tried it a million times without satisfactory results. I also don't wanna accept any feedback that undoes a style choice unless there's a compelling reason to accept it.

The issue is where the line between style choice and error is (and whether I'm being nuclear levels of strict again).

Cross out that last part; I'm being nuclear strict, aren't I? 

Edited by Ganaram Inukshuk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we read this thing you wrote?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

1 hour ago, Olly said:

Can we read this thing you wrote?

It was an assignment...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well hell, it's my 5th forum anniversary, so I guess I'm posting again.

Life's been a lot fuller than it used to be, but I guess that's a good thing.

On 5/13/2019 at 10:36 PM, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

I tried fiction writing again...

Sorry to hear this didn't go too well. I'm not much of a writer aside from Dungeon Mastering so I don't have any advice, but I hope you can figure it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lived life is a full life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Badges

15 minutes ago, Olly said:

A lived life is a full life

Umm... uhh... OK...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sir Punicpunch said:

Well hell, it's my 5th forum anniversary, so I guess I'm posting again.

Life's been a lot fuller than it used to be, but I guess that's a good thing.

Sorry to hear this didn't go too well. I'm not much of a writer aside from Dungeon Mastering so I don't have any advice, but I hope you can figure it out.

Also, hi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Olly said:

A lived life is a full life

I mean, yeah?

8 minutes ago, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

Also, hi.

Aloha.

So how's life?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Sir Punicpunch said:

I mean, yeah?

Aloha.

So how's life?

For one, I drew a bug...

capture_bug_is_grump.thumb.PNG.680d6971608ce1a08f5575e6dd1d5a57.PNG

And another, I got like two more quarters left...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

For one, I drew a bug...

capture_bug_is_grump.thumb.PNG.680d6971608ce1a08f5575e6dd1d5a57.PNG

And another, I got like two more quarters left...?

That is definitely bug. Like 70% bug.

And you could buy like two gumballs with those quarters, or a bouncy ball if you get lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Sir Punicpunch said:

That is definitely bug. Like 70% bug.

And you could buy like two gumballs with those quarters, or a bouncy ball if you get lucky.

No, not that kind of quarter...

Also, my art style now supports raytracing (no not really)...

capture_worried_bug.PNG.090923354b565a85e2f9be7ad3ef1275.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

No, not that kind of quarter...

Well, I'll leave it for you to decide if it was a joke, I legitimately thought that it was that kind of quarter, or it's because it's late at night.

Just now, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

Also, my art style now supports raytracing (no not really)...

capture_worried_bug.PNG.090923354b565a85e2f9be7ad3ef1275.PNG

Nice shading. What about making the environment affected by the brightness of the lantern as well? I don't know just a thought.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Sir Punicpunch said:

Well, I'll leave it for you to decide if it was a joke, I legitimately thought that it was that kind of quarter, or it's because it's late at night.

Nice shading. What about making the environment affected by the brightness of the lantern as well? I don't know just a thought.

Blame it on the night...

Also, I haven't gotten to the part where environment objects get affected by lighting yet...

Also also, why did someone think it was a good idea to combine a heavy metal song with a song from The Wiggles...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

Blame it on the night...

Also, I haven't gotten to the part where environment objects get affected by lighting yet...

Also also, why did someone think it was a good idea to combine a heavy metal song with a song from The Wiggles...?

The internet is literally just a place where you mix things that shouldn't be mixed, like 100% of the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Sir Punicpunch said:

The internet is literally just a place where you mix things that shouldn't be mixed, like 100% of the time.

Speaking of mixing things, I literally dreamt this...

20190428_222906.thumb.jpg.0d5901fa09dd21996b5965576cf471a7.jpg

[Transcript]: Context: Cadance with a meeting with Luna and Cadance has to pee the entire time. THe one with hexagons is a nightmare to write out. Trust me, I tried. Yes, I actually drew out the random crap my dreams generated. Again.

capture_sandbat.thumb.PNG.378f1ead164de5954f9f2c63a1768f22.PNG

I also turned Sandbar into a bat... Sandbat...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Ganaram Inukshuk said:

Speaking of mixing things, I literally dreamt this...

20190428_222906.thumb.jpg.0d5901fa09dd21996b5965576cf471a7.jpg

[Transcript]: Context: Cadance with a meeting with Luna and Cadance has to pee the entire time. THe one with hexagons is a nightmare to write out. Trust me, I tried. Yes, I actually drew out the random crap my dreams generated. Again.

capture_sandbat.thumb.PNG.378f1ead164de5954f9f2c63a1768f22.PNG

I also turned Sandbar into a bat... Sandbat...

Did you dream it upside down too? I never have dreams memorable enough to... remember.

Literally forgot who Sandbar was for a second there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Sir Punicpunch said:

Did you dream it upside down too? I never have dreams memorable enough to... remember.

Literally forgot who Sandbar was for a second there.

No, my camera made it upside-down...

The other memorable dreams I had (that I can remember) were the one that led to Gem's children and the one where I was told my intestines were dying.

(And I thought Ocellus was a dragon...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.