Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Looking For People With More Interests Than Just MLP

ZomBrony

Over a dinner discussion, I brought up the topic of Chinese Years which led to Chinese Animals. I'm a rat and my Mom commented that rats are very intelligent and as a joke, I said that intelligence is one rat's trait that I lack. After we talked about that for a bit, my cousin brought up the idea of intelligence. He said the reason he knows so much is because the best way you learn is through trying stuff and he messes around with a lot of things. After that, he brought up how I'm obsessed with one thing: MLP. And that's true. Since I realize this now, I'm looking for more things to try. One could say "to expand my horizons." Those are the exact words he used.

• Brohoof 2

Over a dinner discussion, I brought up the topic of Chinese Years which led to Chinese Animals. I'm a rat and my Mom commented that rats are very intelligent and as a joke, I said that intelligence is one rat's trait that I lack. After we talked about that for a bit, my cousin brought up the idea of intelligence. He said the reason he knows so much is because the best way you learn is through trying stuff and he messes around with a lot of things. After that, he brought up how I'm obsessed with one thing: MLP. And that's true. Since I realize this now, I'm looking for more things to try. One could say "to expand my horizons." Those are the exact words he used.

Well you can still be into MLP just don't make it the crux of you life :)

What else do you like? (such as sports but can be anything)

I know some people have written "Bucket lists" maybe write one of those and see how many you can complete :).

One way that you can learn lots is by reading the news every day and seeing what takes your interest. If anything does then just continue to read about that subject for a bit :)

I've done this with alot of scientific discoveries and stuff liek dream's and social sciences which is very fun and you can learn a lot very quickly :P

• Brohoof 1

Well, what kind of stuff?

Shows: Adventure Time (Great), Gravity Falls (My second favorite tv show), and Impractical Jokers (Modern day Jackass).

Music: Foster the People, Of Men and Monsters.

Books: Anything by James Patterson, Hunger Games, and Harry Potter.

I don't know if that's what your are looking for, but those are some of my interests.

/)

• Brohoof 4

I keep getting told to get into Doctor Who but I haven't got the time to watch it. The Big Bang Theory is also pretty hilarious! If you're into Roman history, then I suggest you check out The Borgias (season 3 starts April 14th! EEEEEEE!)

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Go to Wikipedia, click "random page" until you find something vaguely interesting, and then follow internal links for hours. It's how I became a genius It's a pretty fun way to learn random stuff, and if you do it enough, you end up being really good at Jeopardy smile.png

Edited by Evilshy
  • Brohoof 3

MLP is one of my defining interests.However, I do like other things. Pokemon and Minecraft for games, and Owl City and Hey Ocean for music. But, MLP is the only fandom I'm really a part of, rather than just someone who enjoys it but doesn't contribute or even talk to the fandom.

Actually, being a fan of Hey Ocean is directly linked with being a fan of MLP. Mainly because the lead singer is the voice of RD and AJ!

Just start watching anime and playing vidya games. I don't know if those count as "interests" but they should take your mind off of ponies while you indulge in them. 

You can also find music, movies and TV shows that you like. Your life doesn't have to be all about MLP and it never hurts to expand your interests.

Uhhh interests is a very broad word so I'll out a few things here

Shows: Adventure Time(Fav next to MLP and I see another Adventure Time fan here), Deadliest Warrior, Soul Eater

Games: Forza Horizon, Super Smash Bros(all of them), Mario Party 3, FIFA

Music: Pierce The Veil, I See Stars, Netsky, Bring Me The Horizon, Doctor P, and like one song from Skrillex

And in connection to you're first post I'm an Ox :)

Shows: Adventure Time (Great), Gravity Falls (My second favorite tv show), and Impractical Jokers (Modern day Jackass).

I don't know if that's what your are looking for, but those are some of my interests.

/)

You have an amazing taste in music! King and Lion-Heart is my favorite song by Of Monsters and Men. Anyways here is some stuff that I'm into.

Shows: Firefly, Doctor Who (I just finished the weeping angel episodes in series five!), Being Human (UK), Sherlock, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, How I Met Your Mother, Louie, Game of Thrones.

Books: A Song of Ice and Fire, older Tom Clancy novels (My favorite is Patriot Games or The Sum of All Fears), Name of the Wind, His Dark Materials, Shutter Island, Gone Baby Gone.

Music: Mumford and Sons, Of Monsters and Men, The Avett Brothers, Aviators (yeah it's pony music), Matchbox Twenty, Daughtry, A Fine Frenzy, O.A.R., Five for Fighting, State Radio, Dispatch.

Games: Mass Effect, Skyrim, Just Cause 2, Resonance of Fate, Tales of Vesperia, Dark Souls, Red Orchestra 2, Battlefield 3, CoD, Halo, Bioshock, Far Cry, Borderlands, The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings, Civ5.

• Brohoof 3

/)

This is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for, thank you.

I've seen a few episodes of both Adventure Time and Gravity Falls but haven't heard of Impractical Jokers.

Read a few and liked every book from James Patterson.

• Brohoof 1

here's some of my things I do way more often, and following right now:

Doctor Who, Fringe, Castle, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Dexter

These are definite on my to watch new episodes or just finished a series. But honestly, there is much great stuff out there, in terms of Sci Fi and such. Things that have ended for me are Chuck, everything Stargate, new Era Star Trek. Firefly, Dollhouse and House.

I kind of lazily follow Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead. but it's eh.

Games is different, gotta find some genres you are interested in. Or specific games, maybe even look into eSports as a spectator thing.

• Brohoof 1

Well, if you want new stuff to do, take up a new sport! That's what I do when bored, and its made me a big fan of awesome things like ultimate frisbee, swimming, cross country running, flag football, and field hockey. Put yourself out there and experiment (haha just not with drugs!) and you'll find some great stuff you really like that you wouldn't have found otherwise!

I have a lot of interests besides MLP.

Games: Call of Duty, Battlefield, Grand Theft Auto, Saints Row, Far Cry, NBA, and Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3.

Books: Harry Potter, Hunger Games, and other books.

Music: Anything except Country.

TV: The Walking Dead, Gravity Falls, Regular Show, Adventure Time.

here's some of my things I do way more often, and following right now:

Doctor Who, Fringe, Castle, Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Dexter

These are definite on my to watch new episodes or just finished a series. But honestly, there is much great stuff out there, in terms of Sci Fi and such. Things that have ended for me are Chuck, everything Stargate, new Era Star Trek. Firefly, Dollhouse and House.

I kind of lazily follow Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead. but it's eh.

Games is different, gotta find some genres you are interested in. Or specific games, maybe even look into eSports as a spectator thing.

I see you are interested in Adventure Time and Gravity Falls. Have you seen the official fan club for each on this site? If not, you gotta check them out! biggrin.png

/)

(edited)

"Interests" is a very broad term.

Anywho, Ill compile a list, because that is what all the cool kids are doing wink.png

Music: Cash Cash, Caravan Palace, Queen, AWOLNATION, Muse

TV: Fringe, Are You Tougher than a Boy Scout?, Gravity Falls, How its Made, How Do They Do It?, Mythbusters, Dan Vs.

Games: Starcraft II: Heart of the Swarm, War Thunder, Sim City, Halo: Combat Evolved (or any other game in the series),

ALMOST FORGOT: Minecraft! 

Hobbies: Papercraft/pepakura (Cutting things out of card stock and gluing it together to make a 3D model. People make some cool stuff with this, Im working on something that I am going to bring to Bronycon :3), Electronics/Radio, Music Mixing, learn to play an instrument, camping/fishing/hunting & shooting, Model building, Warhammer 40k, Chess.

Stuff to do around town:

1) Get in the car, drive somewhere like Wawa (gas station store), buy some milkshakes. Do this every other wednesday. 

2) Find a park. Bring a notepad or a book. Spend an hour there every Friday. 

3) Go to the Library

4) catch a movie with some friends

5) Go go-karting. If there are no locations nearby that host go karting, build your own in your garage, and go go karting around town. 

6) Go golfing and/or mini-golfing. Even if you hate golf

7) Get a refrigerator box. go to the mall. Put the box over your head. Enter the mall. Have fun until you are kicked out.

8) Go to the mall with out a box. Take some friends. Walk around. You dont ven have to buy anything.

9) Get a camera. Make your own movies/v-logs/Youtube videos.

10) Enjoy life!

This is basically everything I do with my free time.... I just realized how nice I have it/how happy I am.

I would use your name to say thanks, but I will just skype you later. Ill just use a generic internet term:

THANKS OP! 

1336911424374.jpg

Edited by ~Orange~

Here are my interests besides MLP;

-Building PC's ( It's one of my main hobbies I'm in the process of upgrading right now I just love to do practical things) 

-Technology ( I love everything technology related ) 

-Gaming (I'm big into gaming the games I play now are Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm, Battlefield 3 and Crysis 3) 

-Astronomy ( I love the planets and galaxies anything space related is awesome ) 

-Music ( I'm thinking about learning a musical instrument because I find I can express myself through music ).  

• Brohoof 2

Here are my interests besides MLP;

-Building PC's ( It's one of my main hobbies I'm in the process of upgrading right now I just love to do practical things) 

-Technology ( I love everything technology related ) 

-Gaming (I'm big into gaming the games I play now are Starcraft 2 Heart of the Swarm, Battlefield 3 and Crysis 3) 

-Astronomy ( I love the planets and galaxies anything space related is awesome ) 

-Music ( I'm thinking about learning a musical instrument because I find I can express myself through music ).  

Oh isn't building PCs just awesome? I built mine and it is quite possibly the most rewarding thing I've done to date. The only problem is, it's a huge investment, which is why I left it out of my initial post.

• Brohoof 2

For me, it's exercise, nerf wars, and online gaming. They are fun hobbies on top of my schoolwork, which can get to be a lot sometimes as I'm in college. 

• Brohoof 1

Oh isn't building PCs just awesome? I built mine and it is quite possibly the most rewarding thing I've done to date. The only problem is, it's a huge investment, which is why I left it out of my initial post.

Definitely agree, it's a huge investment to make especially if it's a high spec machine. It is very rewarding though to see it all working in the end though even if it isn't a high spec :)

• Brohoof 1

• 6 years later...

I have lots!

2nd gen Dodge trucks, horses, music (country, synthwave, classic rock, and pop especially), astrology, and NASCAR...just to name a few. :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 1

TV: The Fosters, Sonny With a Chance, Good Trouble, the Good Place, Wizards of Waverly Place, Fairy Tail, Cloak & Dagger

Music: Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato, Taylor Swift, Ariana Grande, Beastie Boys, The Go-Gos (basically anything you can dance to)

Books: Well, I'm reading a self love book right now that my friend gave me, but I really love The School for Good & Evil series, along with 13 Reasons Why.

Activities: Writing, drawing, digital art, reading, TV, spending time with my friends 

Edited by Emerald<3
  • Brohoof 2

I have a lot of interests (I do not feel to mention them here since they are in my profile in the interest field).

There was a time when I had mainly one single interest (similar to the MLP example), and it took up my entire life. Then one day everything fell apart (because of reasons). I was standing there without anything! That's the day I decided to marathon Pokemon, 10 seasons of it in fact. Knowing beforehand that Pokemon the TV series had something interesting about it, I spent 6 months just watching the series and the movies evolve. I learned a lot from the show including animation and music, great story building. Great designs!
And when I was done, I just happened to get my normal life back again (because of reasons). Today I wouldn't want to trade that 6 months for anything. Being able to get into something for a longer time (dedication), and fully enjoy it, that is life!

• Brohoof 1

TV: Though I only go back and watch the older episodes now, I really like Modern Family, The Office, and black•ish. I also like longer shows like Shark Tank cause sometimes it’s interesting. I’m also watching this newer reality show called Outdaughtered because it’s just nice to see all the little kids have fun and the parents are really nice.

Movies: My all time favorite is WALLE, but I also love movies like Elf, Christmas Story, and Cinderella. I also really like lots of Disney movies and (some) Barbie movies.

Video Games: My favorite games are Animal Crossing: New Leaf, most Mario games, and the FNAF games (mostly the 4th one). I used to play AC all the time but now I play it like once a month cause it’s time consuming. I’m also a big FNAF fan but I’m less crazy w/it then when I first started cause eventually theories are everywhere and it’s no fun to argue about them.

Hobbies: I love to draw all the time, whether it’s for myself for practice or for someone else. I like colored pencils the best cause they’re just like normal pencils but they require less pressure. I also like to write on occasion (mostly short stories but I have a longer one with my own characters in the works). I also like working on little projects, making collections, and turning myself into a video game completionist.

Reading: I love to read a lot, whether it’s novels, signs outside, or some random fanfiction. I like reading comedies, sad stuff, and physiological stories the most, but sometimes I enjoy a good light sci fi or a random comedy. When I look for stuff to read I like to filter out all the romance but I feel like it finds its way into stories anyways. It’s not too bad though if it’s not the main focus.

Thats about all I could think of that could fit into a category. I could talk about how I like to study things like mental disorders, but that kinda falls into the writing category cause that’s why I do it.

• Brohoof 1

My main interest outside of MLP is game shows. I’ve made it a habit to watch J! and Wheel every night and still do when I can. I watch the classics on Buzzr every so often. I also host and play on mock game shows on other forums.

I love baseball. My heart has been with the Mets ever since my first game at Shea Stadium. I’ve saved a bunch of programs from all the ballparks I’ve visited and have been keeping score since college. I’m making it my goal to see a game in every one. On my current trip to California, I’ll cross off the Dodgers, the Angels and the Padres in that order.

I grew up in a Sega household so my main fandom until the early 2000s was Sonic. I switched to the Mario fandom when I started playing the handhelds. These days I’m on Pokémon Go a lot. I’ve completed my Kanto and Johto Pokédexes.

I love cartoons from the 80s and 90s along with classic shorts from Hollywood’s golden age. My favorite character has always been Donald Duck. As far as today’s cartoons, Bob’s Burgers is my favorite. It’s a breath of fresh air compared to what happened to Family Guy and The Simpsons. I don’t watch a lot of primetime television, and these days I’ll watch even less since The Big Bang Theory ended. That was one of my favorites.

I’m a big Weird Al fan. I have all his albums and have been to his concerts. It was his appearance in FiM that got me into the fandom. Aside from him, I like early rock and roll music from the 50s and classic rock from the 60s and 70s.