Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bronies And Religion?

King

Yeah I don't necessarily think that un-religious types ARE attracted to MLP, i think that does have more to do with the youth of today finding less of a need for organized religion. I will say there is definitely an anti-conformist message in being a brony (rejecting gender roles is a key part) that doesn't have to be anti-religious, it's just that a lot of organized religion still preaches that gay is bad and conservatives can look down on brony culture as breaking social norms.

I do think that bronies are tapping into the benevolence that's within the show and its morale teaching and are looking for a community feel with their lives. We're not a religion but we come pretty close in how we approach a need for love, togetherness, and acceptance.

(edited)

I do not believe that being religious or non religous has anything to do with whether or not you like this show or anything else in life

I have found that people will be drawn to things that make them happy and we as a human race should encourage each other to follow their hearts and find happyness and friendship with each other

be it through religion or not we all strive together in this world and I for one am glad that this is a place where we can both be together and enjoy something that both sides can love.

Edited by Argumedies

I do not believe that being religious or non religous has anything to do with whether or not you like this show or anything else in life

I definitely disagree with that.  I think that anything in your life has the potential to influence everything else.  Even what TV shows you watch.  I am not one of those people who believes that playing violent video games makes you a violent person or anything like that.  I just think that people change all the time, and pretty much anything and everything in your life has an impact. 

(edited)

That's fine but ultimately its up to you whether things like that are good or bad.

We base our judgements on our influences in life. How we use those influences is the bases for which we perceive right and wrong.

But its those simple things like this show that can be a positive influence in a persons life. And that is from personal expierance and its something that we can embrace together

Edited by Argumedies

One thing I find annoying is when someone calls atheism a religion. Atheism is NOT a religion, and neiter are agnosticism and deism. Christianity is a religion, monotheism is NOT a religion. Another thing I find annoying is when people link atheism to Pol Pot and mass murder. I don't link all Catholics to Adolf Hitler or all Muslims to Osama bin Laden, so then why do SOME people link atheism to mass murder.

I agree 100% it makes atheism sound ugly. But I don't really think that there are too much atheist bronys out there. Theres no such thing as too much ;) the important thing is that were all bronys. /)

I honestly wouldn't say that, I've seen a ton of Christian bronies on this forum, and in other places, myself included. There's even groups and pages for it on Facebook. 

• Brohoof 1

I feel like atheism is popular on internet in general. This has been true for several communities I've belonged to. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of the different beliefs on God and religion in the brony fandom, and perhaps to see what traits attract someone to the show and how they correlate with religious beliefs. 

Personally, I'm a christian, and I don't think being a brony has had any huge impact on my religious views. I just love cartoons, and MLP:FiM is a pretty good cartoon. Honestly, I would say that the type of a person a brony is affects their love of the show and their religious beliefs more than they effect each other. :B

• Brohoof 1

I am religious (Catholic specifically) and I have asked myself the same question. I don't mind, you are free to believe in what you want; or lack thereof.

I'm not sure if there is anything specific about the show or fandom that attracts atheism but rather a disturbing opposite. I once talked to a brony on YouTube who told me his parents forbade watching the show. The reason? Satanic influence. . . . . I shit you not! Specifically the presence of "magic" and Twilight's levitation. Among other near as inane things.

Now being religious myself, and a form of Christian to boot, I can tell you that's bullshit. There is nothing in this show forbidden by Christianity. Now, if those who apply by this will forgive me, I have noticed something in common with those who forbid shows and games and such on the grounds of "satanic influence." Almost never are they Catholic, usually they are a form of Protestant.

Given that Protestantism takes every letter of the Bible literally, and in general seems more emphasized on draconian Old Testament scripture; this makes some sense. Even still, I find it hard to excuse calling a unicorn learning about friendship "satanic" purely because she uses something called magic. It's this form of "Judge not, lest ye be judged" that always gets convinently ignored. What American Protestantism calls "magic" refers to any deviation from Christian doctrine. Take the episode Safe from Firefly for instance.

For those non-Browncoat bronies, the character River developed psychic abilities that while extremely rare are not outside the realm of possibility for the setting. When River and her older brother/guardian were stranded in a small community HEAVILY rooted in Salem like Puritanism, the locals called her telepathy witchcraft and attempted to burn her at the stake. Luckily this happened:

Hahhhh I NEVER get tired of seeing that!

Now I'm not saying if those folks were Catholic they wouldn't go Spanish Inquisition on River. All I'm saying is the pattern of people who avoid this show come from more heavily doctrinal religions, than religion in general.

I don't speak for everyone, but I don't know any Catholics who have religious hang ups about this show. If they don't like it, it's usually for the more mundane "it's gay."

I can't really say why but I believe it has a great deal to do with how the Church is structured. We believe in the Bible certainly, but we also believe that it's not a reference book for every moral problem one can face. God helps those who help themselves after all. Everyone is different, but typically, a practicing Catholic might consult a parent or Priest when facing a moral dilemma. There is the stereotype of going to confession, but just as often we have very frank talks with our Priest. I never viewed Priests as scary moral authorities who tell me I'm going to Hell if I swear too much. No, in my experience, they have always been well learned, kind, and wise men. This extends up through the Cardinals, the Archbishops, all the way up to the Pope. Ultimately, he gives the "official Catholic" stance on politically impacting moral issues. Of course, not every follower agrees, that's okay. The Church doesn't require mindless devotion to the Pope. (Shocking as that is to some.)

I do agree with the Church's stance on abortion. However, I disagree with it's stance on gay marriage  There is nothing in the Constitution against it, so why make a law against it?

Ultimately, my point is, I think the show appeals to people of a basic human level. We all want to celebrate friendship and camaraderie. Atheists don't see any issue in how those messages are conveyed. Those who are more . . . sensitive? huh.png  (Yeah I'll go with that!) Simply can't get past what they object to see the very Christian morals being taught.

• 1 year later...

I'm kinda christen, I belive in god but I don't go to church or pray or anything like that. I more belive in science's explanation of how the universe was created. But I'm going off topic. I have seen some bronys on the Internet that treat it as a religion, one of the most chilling cases I think I saw was on ponyconfessions, where someone said and I quote "sometimes I want to kill myself and see if I go to equestria" honestly, it's not like after you become a brony heaven is replaced by equestria IT'S JUST A BUCKING SHOW!!! I really wonder where some people get these ideas sometimes

• Brohoof 1

The two have nothing to do with eachother. Whether or not you believe in God is mostly determined by whether or not your parents believe in God, and whether or not you have a critical thinking mind. Critical thinkers are unlikely to believe in God whereas those whose parents raised them with the belief in God are unlikely to not believe in God later in life.

The two have nothing to do with eachother. Whether or not you believe in God is mostly determined by whether or not your parents believe in God, and whether or not you have a critical thinking mind. Critical thinkers are unlikely to believe in God whereas those whose parents raised them with the belief in God are unlikely to not believe in God later in life.

37 year old wife of Jeric = Wiccan raised by Catholic and Atheist. Mensa

13 year old daughter of Jeric = not raised specific to any faith, but educated on many. Is gravitating to Lutheran

14 year old daughter of Jeric - Baptized Catholic to shut up my mother-in-law. Not raised specific to any faith. Agnostic

37 year old Jeric = Raised by Catholic and Presbyterian converted from Lutheran, currently nothing mentioned elsewhere in the post. Computer Science

It may be best to imagine individuals complexly.

Was it simply due to the fact that many younger people today are focusing less on Religion and more on technology?

Woah there.  Let's start with the fact that probably a good majority of Bronys are American.  There has been a massive decline in American (and even English) science and technology education in the past few decades.  Just because we live in a more technologically developed society does not mean that the people (specifically the young people) living within it are attuned to focusing on technology and development.  A lot of youthful Americans like to "talk the talk" as if they are educated in areas of science and technology while making broad statements that criticize and demean religion (without being able to sufficiently back up their arguments)

Interview of Generation Z American Teenager (Age 16):

Interviewer: So Billy, what do you think about Christians?

Billy:  Christians are horrible and deny rights to homosexuals and make this country a horrible place to live in!

Interviewer:  What are your reasons for saying this Billy?

Billy:  ... ... ... Cause Science n' st0ff.

As a Catholic AND as a future scientist, the "cuz Science" pseudo-stance used to criticize religion really irks me.

I have noticed that a lot. I don't know why, but Christian/Catholic bronies seem to be a bit of the minority, and I'm not quite sure why.

I'm very religious, and while it may not be 'reasonable' to be both religious and a brony, I still stand by both groups of people. I can wear a Derpy hoodie to my Women Of God seminars and be perfectly at ease. (That's under the assumption I own a Derpy hoodie. :() I think the internet does dictate a lot of people's beliefs and worldviews, and it's becoming less and less 'popular' to admit you're religious.

I don't think being a brony would affect your religion. I can see how it might affect your acceptance of religion, but I don't see how it could sway someone in the opposite direction.

In all honesty, who is going to look at a bunch of pastel colored ponies and go, "Oh yeah. That's proof of God right there, man."

It may not be "popular" but honestly buck the crowd! (And I mean that in more ways than one.)

We're bronies! We're already outliers, might as well revel in everything that makes you yourself.

There seems to be a trend among many of the Bronies I have met in my many months as a fan. Many Bronies seem to be Aethiest or just non believers in a whole.

Now while I know this is obviously not true about all of you, I started wondering why it was, that I began meeting so many Aethiest or non believing Bronies. Was it simply due to the fact that many younger people today are focusing less on Religion and more on technology?

Or is there something about the Brony community that draws in a more...non-religious crowd?

Id like to get everyponies opinions on this?

Are you religious?

Do you think being a Brony effects peoples Religious views, AT ALL?

My View...

In my view, religion and being a Brony dont effect each other at all. Im non religious, but I respect everyones right to believe and I dont see why being a Brony should effect your religious status.

There seems to be a trend among many of the Bronies I have met in my many months as a fan. Many Bronies seem to be Aethiest or just non believers in a whole.

Now while I know this is obviously not true about all of you, I started wondering why it was, that I began meeting so many Aethiest or non believing Bronies. Was it simply due to the fact that many younger people today are focusing less on Religion and more on technology?

Or is there something about the Brony community that draws in a more...non-religious crowd?

Id like to get everyponies opinions on this?

Are you religious?

Do you think being a Brony effects peoples Religious views, AT ALL?

My View...

In my view, religion and being a Brony dont effect each other at all. Im non religious, but I respect everyones right to believe and I dont see why being a Brony should effect your religious status.

I think, honestly, it's partly because the Pony Fandom is Born out of the internet and the internet has a higher concentration of secularists.

I, however, am a Christian. And more specifically I'm a Reformed Baptist. I honestly don't find there to be a problem with liking the show or being a part of the fandom. unless the show somehow causes me to sin, I don't necessarily see a problem with liking it.

• Brohoof 2

Although you pose an interesting question, I don't believe the two go hand-in-hand. Your religious beliefs really depend on how you have grown up and who your main influences are. Personally, I'm Christian and I am a very strong believer.

You meeting Bronies that are non-believers is probably just a big ol' coincidence.  

Yeah, about me...I don't have a religion. I call myself a Christian because a believe in a single God, yet I haven't been baptized. I'm not religious! I respect everyone, no matter what their religion is. I don't poke fun, or anything like that.

I don't think they tend to have any meaningful effect on each other. I certainly hope MLP doesn't affect people's religious views. It seems to me that it'd be rather silly for a purely fictional TV show to affect people's understanding and beliefs about how the universe is.

I myself am an atheist and brony and I can tell you I've actually met more religious bronies than not, or at least, people who identify as bronies. So It's quite the reverse for me from OP. I haven't really given much thought as to why, probably because the majority of people I kno who identify as bronies come from places where religion is still a fairly big thing, I'd say it's just chance and geographical location + social influence. I don't think being a brony itself has any bearing on it, rather than that you're selecting a large chunk of people and they just happen to be mostly from a religious background

• Brohoof 1

I think it is due to this modern era.

Lately, many people have been focusing more on science, and technology. Because now we have machines, and facts that prove God is not real. (sorry Christians. :L)

God cannot be fully proven, nor can he be fully disproven.

There are no facts that can fully disprove a supernatural deity.

This also why I choose to be agnostic.

Also one more thing...

post-25645-0-53647600-1408753633.jpg

I'm mostly neutral about religion. People can believe whatever they want, although I think Christianity and Islam in particular are utter and total bullshit and I have no respect for either of them. 

Edited by RaveLow

I'm not religious, but I'm not atheist either. I'm a deist. I've been a deist even before I was a brony, so I don't think being a brony effects one's religious beliefs. 

If a religion teaches that men have to do manly stuff, then maybe bronies would be less likely to follow that religion, but overall, I don't think a fandom would effect anyone's religion. 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

My mother is very religious and when I was younger tried to get me throw out my Harry Potter books....because magic..

Guess what she wants to watch on sunday though...mlp.

'Cause that makes sense >_> .

Personally though I'm an atheist which irks her to no end.