Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Why Dubstep?

King

I would say that, for me, dub step is what I call "situation music". I cannot for the life of me just listen to it casually, and you would never find any dub step on my iPod. But when I go out with friends to a club or I'm at a party, then you can expect to see me go totally pinkie pie crazy with dancing!

Music is a huge emotional tool, and helps reflect who you really are. My personal tastes range from Grunge to Folk music, but things like dub step and techno are really just a way for me to get off my feet in a social situation. I obviously don't dance around to Nirvana lol (maybe the Beatles occasionally).

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

First I want to point out I love all different kinds of music, I'm into Dubstep, DnB, House, Trance and all sorts of electronic music. But I'm also into rock as well as the good old classics from the 1930s to 1960s as well as music from 1970s up to 1980s. That being said, I believe dubstep is probably one of the best music options out there today. Of course it can't match the old classics. But other then mainstream music it isn't trying to be something it isn't dubstep is just loud bass, wubs as well as bass drops. Just straight to the point, it fills your heart with adrenaline and your all ready to go.

I like dubstep, because it's energetic, fast paced and has got a really nice rythm to it. I might be sitting in front of my computer then I feel the bass blowing away my brains, sometimes I feel like my brain has become liquid from all the bass drops I listen to. Then the wubs stir it up.

What's even better is when your driving around in a car with powerfull subwoofers all around the car, once you try pumping the volume to the highest and you feel the car shaking your legs and you feel the vibration coming from the doors it's amazing probably one of the best feeling ever and your redlining while you listen to the build up.. Then shift and bass drop comes, it's amazing. Driving and dubstep are the two best things in the world. The adrenaline overload is amazing, what's even better is when it's night time and the cars bass is banging outside of the car and you have people looking at you weird and then you leave them in the dust. It's one of the reasons why I'm getting myself some led neon that dances to the music.

Dubstep is simply an art that you either hate or love.. I just happen to love it. Now enough chit chat drop the bass.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94

Meh. 

I'd prefer music with vocals in it.

Or video-game soundtracks. *go ahead and call me a nerd*.

But with all honesty, dubstep is too mainstream.

This is all obviously my opinion, so don't go all crazy on me.

I just cant get into it.

• Brohoof 1

At first, I liked dubstep because it was different from the music I usually listened to. It was sort of refreshing hearing a type of music that was so different, I guess. It had a kind dark and strange feel to it; that's what I enjoyed. 

These days, I've mostly moved away from all things dubstep. I still listen to it every now and then, but only the songs that sound less "dubsteppy". When they're good, they're good, but when they're bad, they're terrible

• Brohoof 1

Dubstep is a great genre, though it is subjective. To many people its love or hate, you either can jive with the randomness and high octane melodies and such, or it is just complete white noise,  such as TuXe, and Blaze, which are the epitome of shit dubstep.

I don't love dubstep, though I do enjoy some of the better artists. Zomboy, Skrillex, Doctor P, Vinyl Scratch, Varia, Savant, the list goes on but that's part of the magic, the dubstep genre has so many great artists which have their own touch of the genre itself.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

The ONLY time I can ever really see myself listening to Dubstep on my own free will is

A. If I'm trying to get psyched up for something

B. If I'm at a party/rave (I can see myself enjoying it there)

Other than that, I'm not a fan of Dubstep. A little bit of wubs here and there in a song is alright, and may even make it sound pretty cool. But entire Dubstep songs I cannot stand.

The electronic genres I'm really into right now are: House, Trance, and the progressive versions of both.

Edited by Betez

I just like the sounds that are made in the genre.   Some Dubstep is bad in my opinion, but in all honesty it's standable.  I love the really long drops.

(edited)

To be honest, I don't understand dubstep and how anyone could like to listen to it. I'm sorry, but I can't stand the repetitiveness of it. Most of it drives me mad and makes me want to tear my ears out. I have yet to hear any dubstep I like. It is fine if a song is a little repetitive as long as it's not too repetitive and is at least catchy.. to be honest I prefer.. a lot of other things, actually.. jazz, pop, classical, a little bit of country.. but... This is rather blunt, but I can't stand dubstep. It being so popular though, I wish I could enjoy it. And also because they are mostly titled things like "Death death I hate everyone die"

Edited by PinkiePie Forever

I just recently became a dubstep fan for many reasons:

1. The Beat: Almost all the dubstep I have listed to, has a great beat that just makes you want to get on your feet.

2. The Techno Sounds: I call these sounds robot sounds. I just love all the wubs and the robot sounds.

3. Not many words: Everytime I listen to dubstep, most don't have words. I like to make up my own, unique words depending on the pace and the feel of the show.

Also, anypony got any good dubstep artists like Skrilles, and DeadMau5? If so, please tell me!

/)

• Brohoof 1

I don't like dubstep, it's not my thing, but at least I haven't encountered a dubstep elitist. I've had some rather bitter arguments with rap elitists before and they're the ones who start it.

Alright then here it is people Moog's basic explanation towards why dubstep is popular yet at the same time one of the most backlashed electronic genres of them all. People like dubstep because it's more energetic and in your face sounding, the build ups are much quicker and there is more focus on the bass drop rather than anything else within the song. Now when you look at the previous genres of electronic music that have been popular ones like House, Trance, and Ambient music they contain much slower build-ups (if any at all) and are more melodic and atmopsheric, so it would make sense as towards why someone like me who has been listening to electronic music since way before Dubstep would not be a fan of the genre. 

I just recently became a dubstep fan for many reasons:

1. The Beat: Almost all the dubstep I have listed to, has a great beat that just makes you want to get on your feet.

2. The Techno Sounds: I call these sounds robot sounds. I just love all the wubs and the robot sounds.

3. Not many words: Everytime I listen to dubstep, most don't have words. I like to make up my own, unique words depending on the pace and the feel of the show.

Also, anypony got any good dubstep artists like Skrilles, and DeadMau5? If so, please tell me!

/)

Deadmau5 isn't a dubstep musician. Nor will he ever be one because he absolutely hates the sound of dubstep.

He's an electro musician.

And when you said Skrilles, I think you mean Skrillex. :P

Lastly, TuXe is a great dubstep artist, he usually makes songs based on MLP.

~Luna

• Brohoof 3

Deadmau5 isn't a dubstep musician. Nor will he ever be one because he absolutely hates the sound of dubstep.

He's an electro musician.

Eh, Deadmau5 does way more Progressive House than Electro, though he has done both, he actually did do one Dubstep song, just one and I doubt that he'd ever wanna do another Dubstep song.

Eh, Deadmau5 does way more Progressive House than Electro, though he has done both, he actually did do one Dubstep song, just one and I doubt that he'd ever wanna do another Dubstep song.

Progressive House is electro, it's just a sub-genre of it.

Electronic is the main genre, then you have "branches" from it, like dubstep, electro-house, etc.. 

~Luna

Progressive House is electro, it's just a sub-genre of it.

Electronic is the main genre, then you have "branches" from it, like dubstep, electro-house, etc.. 

~Luna

Electro isn't a sub-genre of Progressive House at all, the two of them are quite different compare these two songs together:

As for Electro-House it's just a mixture between House and Electro music, hence why it is named Electro-House

• Brohoof 1

Electro isn't a sub-genre of Progressive House at all, the two of them are quite different compare these two songs together:

I meant Progressive House is a sub-genre of Electro, not the other way.

And they are different, but are VERY similar. They both have a techno synth.

I meant Progressive House is a sub-genre of Electro, not the other way.

And they are different, but are VERY similar. They both have a techno synth.

Saying that they both have a synth in them makes them similar to each other, is like saying that country is the same as metal because they both have guitars in them. And either way Progressive House is not a sub-genre of Electro, Electro and Progressive House are both sub-genres of Electronic, and if you wanna go more fancier they're both sub-genres that are classified under the EDM umbrella. But neither Prog House or Electro are sub-genres of each other.

• Brohoof 1

What does the "dub" in dubstep refer to? Also what does "step" mean, as I've heard that suffix tied to other forms of techno. Now that I think about it, there is a pretty complex system of nomenclature behind techno.

(edited)

Saying that they both have a synth in them makes them similar to each other, is like saying that country is the same as metal because they both have guitars in them. And either way Progressive House is not a sub-genre of Electro, Electro and Progressive House are both sub-genres of Electronic, and if you wanna go more fancier they're both sub-genres that are classified under the EDM umbrella. But neither Prog House or Electro are sub-genres of each other.

It's like a tree:

Electronic

/            \

Electro         Dubstep

/

Prog. House           

Etc...

Anyway, they're similar by their techno synths because you don't see a classical or country song with a techno synth, you see Electronic based songs or EDM based songs with a techno synths. In other words, that particular synth is isolated from many other genres, so if you hear a song with a techno synth, you'll know it falls under the EDM genre or Electronic genre.

So that is why I'm saying they're similar by having techno synths, because they fall under a genre which is the only main-genre with techno synths.

~Luna

Edited by DJ Luna♥
  • Brohoof 1

I'm very picky about the dubstep that I listen to. It needs to really stand out in order for me to listen to it. For example, I've been listening to a lot of Lindsey Stirling lately because she combines dubstep with violin (pretty damn cool! check her out on youtube!). If it doesn't stand out, I won't listen to it. I'm also one who enjoys songs that have meaningful lyrics too, which I find you don't get a lot with dubstep (well maybe you do, but I haven't heard the song yet!).

What constitutes Electro? The only time I've heard the term was in "Shaun of the Dead" and to me it sounded like hip hop with an electronic background.

I feel very out of place in this thread. .__,

What does the "dub" in dubstep refer to? Also what does "step" mean, as I've heard that suffix tied to other forms of techno. Now that I think about it, there is a pretty complex system of nomenclature behind techno.

The dub part comes from Jamaican Dub music as that's what it's roots are most mainly come from, as so I've heard. I forget where the step part comes from.

so if you hear a song with a techno synth, you'll know it falls under the EDM genre or Electronic genre.

So if I hear a Metal song with a synth riff in it, then by your logic it counts as EDM. A genre can not be classified just by what instruments it uses, electronic music actually doesn't always purely use synths, there are many bands that use Guitars, and even violins within Electronic music. I understand the tree part, I'm just saying that Progressive House being a sub-genre of Electro is false. Prog House has a mild relation towards Electro, though it doesn't take any sort of inspiration from Electro at all. So it can not be classified as a sub-genre of Electro.

• Brohoof 1

The dub part comes from Jamaican Dub music as that's what it's roots are most mainly come from, as so I've heard. I forget where the step part comes from.

Yep, that's where the Dub's from. The step is from 2-step, which uses shuffled beats and strays from the 4-floor pattern of some EDM stuff.