Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Why Dubstep?

King

(edited)

I like a lot of different genres of music on almost every end of the scale, but I don't like Dubstep much. I find it either boring, grating, or at best, kinda tolerable. 

I like wubs, but I find that most Dubstep uses them pretty poorly. It's slightly frustrating that a lot of people now think that wubs and Dubstep are mutually inclusive. There's plenty of other electronic music genres that use them, most of which use them better in my opinion. 

I actually prefer Brostep to most Dubstep. It sometimes has pretty descent drops, but doesn't really take itself too seriously. (Which is great, because the drops is most Dubstep and Brostep sound hilarious.) It can be good fun.

Edited by Hansel

dubstep is essentially one of those love/hate genres, i don't think it's just like that for me. the stuff i don't like, i really don't, but the stuff i DO like, i love. it's a genre that can do quite a bit of stuff if just given the option to.

I enjoy certain songs, but not all Dubstep.

If it's melodic Dubstep, then I will probably enjoy it. The "wubs" actually have a pitch and focused frequency to them, and that brings order to what would normally be considered chaos. In a sense, the seemingly random blasts of sound actually have a very specific melody to them.

It just takes some time to listen and hear those melodies.

Then when you bring it all together, it should harmonize with the real instruments, and that's what I look for. If it's just random wubs though, it probably won't do much for me.

• Brohoof 1

I do not like dubstep. I much prefer songs that have that something that stays with you. And for me personally, Dubstep doesn't do it for me. I get no sense of emotion or a story from it. And that is what i like in my music.

I much prefer music from Yuki Kajiura (A Japanese composer), and Evanecense as my examples of music I enjoy.

I enjoy certain songs, but not all Dubstep.

If it's melodic Dubstep, then I will probably enjoy it. The "wubs" actually have a pitch and focused frequency to them, and that brings order to what would normally be considered chaos. In a sense, the seemingly random blasts of sound actually have a very specific melody to them.

It just takes some time to listen and hear those melodies.

Then when you bring it all together, it should harmonize with the real instruments, and that's what I look for. If it's just random wubs though, it probably won't do much for me.

This guy knows what he's talking about.

---

To all those saying that Dubstep (Brostep) just sounds like a barrage of sound, I can explain that.  Typically, when you have a visual representation of the notes (via a DAW), what you see is a large string of different sounds centered around a single note.  Towards the end of the sequence, it may vary up or down a few notes, but it generally sticks to a single note. 

As an example, listen to this:

(1:22 in case it doesn't embed.  Also, I'm aware this isn't Dubstep, but the point remains the same)

From this, you can hear a good portion of the bassline as it somewhat 'solos'.  You can also hear that it pretty much stays on the same note until the last portion.  You can take other Dubstep songs and crank up your sub and hear the same thing.

Now, obviously, this probably won't do anything to how you hear the sound put together, but I just felt like explaining the sound to you.  :)