Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

English vs. Japanese version Giggle at the Ghostly

pinkiefan1287

English vs Japanese   

49 users have voted

1. 1. Which version do you like more?

• English
    • Japanese

So we finally have the first song from the Japanese version of MLP, Giggle at the Ghostly. Which song do you guys like more? English, Japanese?

English

Japanese 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAbBA-BSYVU

Right now I like both versions and if the subbing right, I kinda like some of the words and the tone in the Japanese version. Still I like the english version the most. It was the one thing that made me really like Pinkie Pie right away.

Edited by pinkiefan1287
  • Brohoof 3

Wow. The Japanese version is pretty darn good. I think I have to give it the nod. The singing voice is somehow even better than the English version, and that's saying something.

• Brohoof 7

Sorry Japanophiles, but I'm giving it to the English version. The overly simplistic, boring, totally dumbed down lyrics robbed the magic of that of that song. It just isn't the same as what English Pinkie has to offer. Singing wise, it's perfectly fine, but the lyrics...

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 3

I feel like I'd be more qualified to judge if I spoke/understood Japanese. It's hard to say how accurate the translation job is on the subs. Lyrics aside, it sounds vunderbar! I'm not certain which I'd rather listen to, but I think it might be the Japanese one. This could just be because it's the between-seasons-season and any content resembling new content is like little drops of heaven raining down upon thee.

• Brohoof 1

I just cannot stray away from my love of the English version. It is one of the things I most love about My Little Pony: it is the song that started me on a quest that ended with my watching all three seasons in one week. When Pinkie does that shake singing "She said, Pinkie, you gotta stand up tall", I melt.

post-14580-0-00940600-1365602494_thumb.png

• Brohoof 1

HOLY SNIZZLE!!!! didn't know that the Japanese mlp was out already... and a huge fan of anime i would say that the Japanese version  is actually a little bit better XD 

The English version of course. I don't understand Japanese, and the Japanese voice sounds weird to me. Very weird actually. Also, it feels not original to me. What I know is that Pinkie Pie is like 'this' and the Japanese version is... she doesn't feel like 'her'.

Yes, I don't like Anime for numbers of good reasons.

Edited by Sky Warden
  • Brohoof 1

Oh my Celestia! What did they do!? I find the Japanese version really offputting. The musical aptitude is certainly there, but where's the rhyme, where's the rhythm? They're squeezing in a lot of syllables in places where they just don't fit.

The translation lacks something in that special way that makes me fear for the rest of the songs. Come on Japan, you can do better than this. sad.png

<---(self proclaimed otaku)

Edited by Rockmare
  • Brohoof 2

I'm not as big as a Japanese fan as others in the forum probably are.

Don't get me wrong I love Japanese culture and shows, I do. I love many things that come from Japanese culture

But I don't consider my love as the same level as some.

Anyways I have to go with the English.

I'm not being biased, I liked both versions, but the English version is the one I heard first and the first song I herd in the series (theme song does not count). I also enjoyed it for what it was.

Now I like the Japanese version too, I do, I like them both the same, but th English version has more impact on me then the Japanese version.

Personally, while I like the words in the English version better, the Japanese version sounds better. The voice actor for Pinkie just really works in the Japanese version, so I think it wins by a hair

How can anyone say, "Oh, I think the Japanese one is better." They are both the same thing.  Same animation, same song.  I like Japanese shows and all, but I already fell in love with the characters I know.

• Brohoof 1

How can anyone say, "Oh, I think the Japanese one is better." They are both the same thing.  Same animation, same song.  I like Japanese shows and all, but I already fell in love with the characters I know.

because some people prefer how it sounds in Japanese? or prefer the singing voice of the Japanese VA over the english VA's singing?

Okay, the main reason I prefer subbing over dubbing for foreign animation and games is because so much gets lost when attempting to match the mouth movements or to match things to the new target audience.  For this reason I prefer the English version over the Japanese dub.  If it was made in Japan it would likely be the other way around.  Simply put, the original is normally superior.  That being said Pinkie's Japanese VA is over the top and I love that they seemed to cast accurate voices for the characters!

• Brohoof 3

Howdy folks!

Mimori Suzuko (Pinkie's JP VA) is pretty good singing Giggle but i'll stick with Shannon Chan Kent. (Pinkie's Singing Voice)

Watching the english version & cant get it out of my headlaugh.png

See ya!

Edited by OtakuBrony
  • Brohoof 2

Out of curiousity, how good are the subtitles? I mean, does anyone here understand Japanese well enough to be able to critique the subtitle translation?

Edited by Fhaolan

in japanese, sounds as cute as in english but for some reason, for me, it can't be better, it's just because I'm just used of the mane6 talking in english and that includes their voices. All of the mane6 in japanese feel very similar in voices, when Applejack has this southern charm in her voice, RD's raspy, Fluttershy's soothing, Rarity's regal and etc.

So to me, english > japanese.

The singing voice sounds odd in Japanese.  Give me English any day. 

I wonder how much of the preference here is because of Japanophilia/"it's cool because it's foreign".  Would our opinions differ if we were equally fluent in Japanese and English? 

• Brohoof 3

I feel like I'd be more qualified to judge if I spoke/understood Japanese. It's hard to say how accurate the translation job is on the subs. Lyrics aside, it sounds vunderbar! I'm not certain which I'd rather listen to, but I think it might be the Japanese one. This could just be because it's the between-seasons-season and any content resembling new content is like little drops of heaven raining down upon thee.

This, exactly. I only know a little Japanese but I know enough to realize the subs are simplistic and not always accurate. To a fluent japanese speaker I'm sure they are just as epic as the english ones are to us.

Also, I love both of them and I think the voices they chose are PERFECT.

The musical aptitude is certainly there, but where's the rhyme, where's the rhythm? They're squeezing in a lot of syllables in places where they just don't fit.

Are you judging that based on the way it sounded or the translation? I thought it sounded perfect. I'll agree the translation doesn't flow as well, but the Japanese aren't going to be seeing the subs.

Edited by MoonFeather
  • Brohoof 1

The singing voice sounds odd in Japanese.  Give me English any day. 

I wonder how much of the preference here is because of Japanophilia/"it's cool because it's foreign".  Would our opinions differ if we were equally fluent in Japanese and English? 

That may be a case for some, but for me I just think it sounds better to my ears. and to be honest i prefer her Japanese voice over her English voice. (Her english voice is cute, but at times it is a bit much for me personally)

The thing I like most about this is the voice isn't super quiet and timid sounding like you get in some japanese shows. her voice has presence and sounds nicely when singing.

And to me, the lack of rhyme sounded odd, which is especially noticeable in a song where the rhyming syllables are emphasized so much ("...and the sun was going *dow-ow-ow-own..." "they would always make me frow-ow-ow-own...")  .  Now I know that they don't rhyme in japanese songs, but it still sounds very strange.

I am personally a HUGE. Fan of Japanese music. But the English is cute to. Oh. I put Japanese down anyway.  I'm loving the mlp Japanese dub. So much that I am actually watching it subtitled. The opening and ending is so cute. Nice work Japan!