Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who's your role model/hero?

Bucky McGillyCuddy

Do you have a role model? I've had people tell me it's not good to have one because it draws you away from being yourself. Do you think so? My personal Role model is Neill Blomkamp. He's a movie director, very well known for creating District 9, and also a visual effects artist (of which i aspire to be one day). I really admire his work and his approach to creating compelling stories. 

So who's yours, or do you have multiple? While i would usually consider fictional characters to be viable role models, for this i ask that you choose a real person. If you want to list a fictional character as well that's fine.

Figure i'd promote some of Blomkamps work while i'm on the subject. Here is his next film.

Well for my fictional character role model it would have to be Prophet aka Lawrence Barnes he's such a bad ass :)

As for my real life role it would have to be.. 

Hans Zimmer because he's a genius music composer 

• Brohoof 1

First off, I would like to say I disagree with those that say that it's not good to have a role model. They are not supposed to be guide books on how you should be, no, they are inspirations, helpers, and people to look up to.

My role model? None other than Ole' Blue Eyes, better known as Frank Sinatra.

This one man, believe it or not, changed my entire life.

Before I found him to be my inspiration, I wasn't the lad I am today. I was immature, bratty, and even a wee bit unintelligent. Most of all, I was your stereotypical douchey kind of guy. Until I found out about Frank, and learned what a nice, gentlemanly, well-respected man he was.

I started listening to his music, and appreciated the beauty of his voice and many other singers of his time. From there on, I started acting like a well-mannered, polite being, with his head not so much up in the clouds. A song of his, That's Life, although not written by him, conveyed an important message to me.

It is a little difficult to explain in great detail how he helped me out so much, but all I know is that he did, and that's all that is important.

His inspiration also branched off to many other things. After singing one of his songs in front of my peers, who loved it, I discovered that I have a bit of a knack for singing.

Once I started listening to his songs, I understood that there is music that I truly loved. Before I started listening to Frank, I would only listen to video game soundtracks and black metal. Although I still like video game soundtracks, I realized how bad (I think) black metal really was. This led me to discover my music love of my life, rock 'n' roll.

I also enjoy wearing a bit more formal clothing now. wink.png

All of those reasons, and many others, is why I love Frank Sinatra, and why he is my role model.

• Brohoof 3

I don't think I really have a role model, I don't think I ever have. Either, in music, their music has inspired me, but them as a person I don't really like. Also, there's people in sports, i.e on my high school XC team, who's running inspires me, but again, as a person, their character I don't care for.

As for my real life role it would have to be.. 

/) to Hans, he is a LEGEND for musical pieces in numerous hits, especially ones like Gladiator and none other, The Lion King~

As an aspiring physicist, Albert Einstein and Michio Kaku are my prime models if I were to set some people as one. They both explore great questions of the universe, ones that I hope to examine at some point in my life.

Edited by Lugia
  • Brohoof 1

I have many in many different subjects.

In the literary world, I worship Chuck Palahniuk. Sure, he's kinda weird and some of his booksare waaay over the top ("RANT" had its moments, and "Snuff" did as well. But he makes his characters so disturbingly vivid. And his plot twists are crazy. :P

I also love Bukowski, and plan on making my graduating quote "Don't try" in his honour. :P

Intellectually, I respect the works of Carl Jung, Nikola Tesla, and pretty much everyone that has worked on my field of interest (astronautical engineering). I don't have any favourites. :3

In music, Joe Hisashi, for writing some of the most beautiful music and oboe parts ever, and Emily Haines of Metric. In addition to being an AMAZING singer, she's clever, pretty, abd manages all her own affairs-she doesn't let fame get to her head.

That's about it for now. :lol:

Mine is Gary Paulsen, who wrote Hatchet, my favorite book and the most perfect piece of entertainment I've ever found.  A lot of my appreciation for nature and hatred for humanity comes from him lol.

He's definitely someone i look to for inspiration though probably not a role model. His music is amazing. 

I was so sure you'd pick Angus Young haha

Yes, it is Spartan-117, or Master Chief, from the Halo series! =D

I think John has had that effect on anyone who has played a halo game haha.  

• Brohoof 2

First off, I would like to say I disagree with those that say that it's not good to have a role model. They are not supposed to be guide books on how you should be, no, they are inspirations, helpers, and people to look up to.

This one man, believe it or not, changed my entire life.

Before I found him to be my inspiration, I wasn't the lad I am today. I was immature, bratty, and even a wee bit unintelligent. Most of all, I was your stereotypical douchey kind of guy. Until I found out about Frank, and learned what a nice, gentlemanly, well-respected man he was.

I started listening to his music, and appreciated the beauty of his voice and many other singers of his time. From there on, I started acting like a well-mannered, polite being, with his head not so much up in the clouds. A song of his, That's Life, although not written by him, conveyed an important message to me.

It is a little difficult to explain in great detail how he helped me out so much, but all I know is that he did, and that's all that is important.

His inspiration also branched off to many other things. After singing one of his songs in front of my peers, who loved it, I discovered that I have a bit of a knack for singing.

Once I started listening to his songs, I understood that there is music that I truly loved. Before I started listening to Frank, I would only listen to video game soundtracks and black metal. Although I still like video game soundtracks, I realized how bad (I think) black metal really was. This led me to discover my music love of my life, rock 'n' roll.

I also enjoy wearing a bit more formal clothing now. img-1357673-1-wink.png

All of those reasons, and many others, is why I love Frank Sinatra, and why he is my role model.

You totally just earned more respect from me man...

Frank Sinatra is my role model as well. The Man was just such a gentleman, he had style,manners and such a voice. He is still known today as one of the greatest singer who ever lived, and while I enjoy things like Rock,Dubstep and other music, his style of music is pure art and I hold it higher then most other music. I still listen to him when I can and the world is lesser without him.

On another note, Seth McFarlane, I love that guy too, he has a great voice and is an activist when it comes to gay rights and many other subjects. He isn't afraid to make controversial jokes because he know people need to lighten up and remember it's a joke, he doesn't let people push him around and does what he does best.

Those two men deserve alot of respect and I happily give it to them happy.png

Edited by Dawn♥Rider
  • Brohoof 2

You totally just earned more respect from me man...

Frank Sinatra is my role model as well. The Man was just such a gentleman, he had style,manners and such a voice. He is still known today as one of the greatest singer who ever lived, and while I enjoy things like Rock,Dubstep and other music, his style of music is pure art and I hold it higher then most other music. I still listen to him when I can and the world is lesser without him.

You couldn't have described him any better.

In fact, Frank's singing is so good that I listen to it sparingly, to keep it special, even though I know that no matter how much I listen to his voice, it will always be special.

My sister got me Sinatra: The Best of the Best for my birthday. I couldn't have asked for a better gift.

• Brohoof 1

Songs like that are what made him such a great singer. And before when I said I held him above "most" artists... I lied... I hold him above ALL other singers.

It's glad to know other people who didn't live during his time could be able to respect him aswell ^_^

Plus come on, the man was the living embodiment of Chivalry...

• Brohoof 1

Its funny...just the other day I was thinking of making a role model thread.

Anywho...my role model would have to be Viktor Kee...he's probably one of the best jugglers in the world if not the best.

This is his first performance in Cirque Du Soleil (I believe)

And this one is his second performance in Cirque Du Soleil

• Brohoof 1

post-4000-0-84095600-1365603547.gif

This little top hat wearing buddhist silver fox from the comic http://ozyandmillie.org/ inspired my childhood. Back in the day I used to try my hardest to be exactly like him. I even wore a vest and top hat all the time to better emulate his look. 

In the end, he's a cartoon character, and thus, not something any real person can effectively be. So, needless to say, I turned out a bit different in the end. That being said, I like what it did to me. My personality, blended with elements of the character in ways that I feel make me quite unique.

Though now I don't wear the top hat quite so much, I still look at it and smile. It's still here, beside my desk, reminding me what I once sought to become, and inadvertently what I did wind up becoming.

Mine is former congressman and presidential candidate Ron Paul, he has actually one of the few politicians out there that isn't a complete scumbag. Here is this youtube video I made a while back about him that pretty much sums up why I love the guy the first half is clips about how Obama and Bush are the same and the second half is clips of how Ron Paul is different so if you don't want to hear those guys just skip to about 3:31.

Would it be lame to say my parents are my role models? Seriously though, both of them have been through and done a lot. They could have retired twice and lost almost everything twice, but persevered and re made their success every time. Both also sacrificed a lot for me, even moving out of a sketchy neighborhood into a better one they couldn't really afford, because they believed having me in a safe environment was more important than saving up. My mom even gave up her modeling and professional dancing career to take care of my sister and I.

I have so much respect for them, and hope I could be just as great as they are some day.  

• Brohoof 1

I don't think it's bad to have a role model.

This sums up my thoughts on the matter, really. I think those who say that think of a role model as some sort of absolute guide, as Angus here has stated. Or might consider it lacking in individuality or creativity to look up to someone.

But most of us creative types, in spite of not having role models, have someone or something (which was likely created by someone) who has inspired us. Taking inspiration from others is not bad, nor is it to look up to a person whose works resonate with us. We are a social species, designed to interact with one another. It's not just ourselves that shape who we are. Others also shape us, and are important to growth and development. So I would have to disagree heavily with that.

Now, onto the next topic proposed here, and the main one. Who is my role model?

I have several in several fields. As an artist, I take inspirations from a few on DA. The likes of Nadia Rodriguez inspired me to start creating show-accurate pony art that are not vectors. I saw her work and was immediately captivated. She was very important in my artistic development. Even her non-pony art. Her thick line style is similar to mine, and has the sort of cleanness that I like achieving. I look up to her artistic style vastly.

As a person, I'd have to say that my role model is (and everyone will vomit at this point, getting sick of me talking about this guy) none other than our very own Klopp. His action-oriented personality intrigues me, and is unlike me in that sense. He is a hardworker in every sense of the word, and always gets the job done. Also, honest. He is like a real life Applejack in many ways, and I look up to her as well. But as she is not real and does not have as much depth (or development. They do not like to focus on her) as a actual person (like Klopp), I'll have to say him. The way he continues to be a (mostly) optimist in spite of his rather horrible experiences is in itself an inspiration. Nothing can stop him, and it is amazing. This guy... just keeps going. He is so calm in most situations, so mature, and relies on common sense. (Something which I think many people lack, to be honest) This is a man who does not feel the need to express himself through fancy words that disguise his true intent. He is not flawless, to be sure. But where he shines, he shines well. I aspire to be like this someday. A person of action.

Creativity-wise, I take heavy inspiration from the works of Square Enix, and consider them my role models. The JRPG Final Fantasy model is intriguing to me, and these are the type of stories I strive to tell. Final Fantasy IX is the one in particular that I have taken so much from, but I also derive many themes from their Kingdom Hearts. I can't pinpoint a specific person due to being largely unaware as to what goes on behind the scenes, but the company as a whole has shaped much of who I am, and what I wish to portray in my world building and stories.

Speaking of a specific character, I would have to say that Leslie Knope of Parks and Recreation is my role model. She is one of my favorite female protagonists of all time, and I consider her character to be brilliant. So upbeat, and EXTREMELY determined and passionate in her work. These character stands against a largely apathetic and bureaucratic government, which often beats her more proactive measures down. Sure, Parks and Rec is just a comedy, but I think her character is well-designed. She doesn't give up, because of her love for politics and genuine desire to better the country. An idealist who actually TRIES to do things, tries to put their good ideas to use, and remains unfettered by cold cynicism. One who actually KNOWS what they're doing too, and is well-researched. And in spite of being so passionate about her beliefs, she doesn't resort to insults or belittling those who disagree. Instead, she manages to maintain a healthy friendship with Ron, someone who completely OPPOSES proactive government. She is respectful to those who do not hold her views. (Mostly) I may not care about politics very much, but I do hope that there are people in American government like this in real life. Because this is the sort of person I want to be. One who can keep standing up in the face of apathy and disrespect, and one who is so upbeat and knows her friends so well that she gives out the best gifts. 

Speaking of Ron, I also look up to him. Not as much as Leslie, but his calm demeanor and insistence on self-sufficiency is something that I find inspiring. He is very wise, and often says a lot of things that enlighten and teach me new lessons about life, bringing Leslie back down to earth when she goes a little too off the well. I may not agree with his views, but I respect this character very much, and consider him another role model.

I've noticed a theme here. I seem to look up to and aspire to be an optimist and make my way out of negativity, and calm. I think it's important to be like that, but without wearing rose-colored glasses. How you look at life affects a lot of your experiences with it.

Edited by Princess Arylett

Theodore Roosevelt. He grew up in a rich family, and he could have stayed there, but he wanted to experience life and do good in the world, so he eventually volunteered in the army, encouraging others to do so and then became an outspoken politician fighting corruption. After McKinley's assassination, he became the first great trustbuster and showed the great kings of industry that he could not be bought out like his predescessor. He levelled the capitalist playing field and also expanded the role of the presidency in terms of foreign policy. His credo that those with power must strive to exercize it in the name of good still inspires me. When running for re-election he also got shot in the chest, but he still gave his entire hour and a half speech. What a badass.

I have three role models (two of which are fictional).

The first would be Professor Layton. He is a true gentleman in every way. He is polite, sensible and he drinks tea!

My second role model would be Shelock Holmes, because of his great deductive mind and way of thought.

My third role model is J.R.R. Tolkien. He is just such an inspiration to me, since the sheer size and quality of his work really amazes me.

My role model is my older cousin from Italy. She's super nice, independent, and smart! She's finishing up her PhD right now at the University of Padua and I couldn't be more proud of her. When I went to Italy and met her for the first time, we hit it off really well and she even took me shopping with her friend :) 

I have a few role models. I have Cristiano Ronaldo(a soccer player), my brother, and a close friend of mine because no matter what he keeps his head high with no worries. I almost forgot, DEADPOOL. He's the worst influence I know but oh my god. The dude talks trash, and its funny. He also is one of the most famous anti-heroes in marvel.

Edited by Mr_Jack_Swallow