Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who's your role model/hero?

Bucky McGillyCuddy

For me my role models (at least fictional) are Eddie Brock (Now known as Toxin) and Vegeta. I don't know why but something about the anti-hero aspect is pretty cool but it's a little difficult to describe so i'll make it short and sweet. I could relate to vegeta cause I wanted to better myself and as for Eddie Brock well uhhhh I always wanted a symbiote...I don't know I got nothing for him. He's just awesome.

post-7513-0-30161400-1365730988_thumb.jpg

I would actually say Pinkie Pie, but we're not supposed to say fictional characters... so hmm.

I'm gonna go with Dave Grohl. He is both an insanely talented musician (Foo Fighters is my favourite band) and an incredibly nice and funny person. It's so easy for fame to make someone think they're exalted, but Dave Grohl is totally down to earth. One thing I admire is his massive connection to his fans, which loads of musicians don't have; he can connect with and please fans both in person and in multitude. (He once gave free backstage tickets to his tour to two fans who listened to the Foo Fighters while stuck down a mine, and then wrote them a song as tribute).

And his voice is just awesome :D

Three Top Role Models

1. Morgan Freeman: His cool attitude and his awesome voice makes him number one.biggrin.png

2. Chuck Norris: So tough he doesn't need a reason mellow.png.

3. Jacki Chan: His awesome Kung-Fu moves inspired me in my childhood. Really awesome guy.cool.png

/)

I think role models are fine, especially if they're someone you can interact with for guidance and positive influence. They're there for worldly wisdom as well as support in getting to where you want to be and being who you want to be, not to tell you what to think and who to be. That's why we select them and not the other way around. That "draws you away from yourself" thing sounds like a lot of special snowflake hogwash to me.

Anyway, I do have two role models, both of them older men in the same career area as me. We shared space in a tight-knit forum for a few years, during which I found them to be intelligent, resilient, and courageous with their beliefs as well as kind. I've also been reconnecting with my father recently, and especially since he shared a lot of my emotional and social difficulties and has overcome them I've been viewing him as more of a role model again. I turned out to be stunningly like him even in his absence.

Edited by Cilantro

• 2 weeks later...

Real-life examples are difficult. Mr. Rogers was a childhood hero of mine and a wonderful man, as cited by someone else earlier in this thread. I can easily say I'd like to be more like him.

Fictional people are easier, and there's one in particular that stands above the rest: Drizzt. He wasn't raised much differently than the rest of the males in his society, but he never conformed, never allowed his spirit to be broken or sacrificed his principles to Llolth. For the early decades of his life this was largely out of naivety, but even as he gained understanding he only found himself disgusted by his people's way of life. The way he stood alone against his own race and family in defense of his values despite the possibility of death was admirable. When he finally came to the surface world he was reviled by all because of his race, but rather than giving up hope he won over many friends and changed the perception of his race simply by being a man of good character and helping everyone he could. That's the abridged version.

I have a couple, actually.

My number one role model is Christopher Nolan, a very well known director. He always reminds me to keep stretching the boundaries of my imagination and keep working to improve my writing. Plus, he's a very normal, humble guy although he loves to talk. :3 I'd love to spend a couple of hours picking his brain.

My second role models would be Siskel and Ebert, cinema's best known critics. I've always wanted to critique literature, and I'm actually trying to scrape up the nerve to go out and buy a camera and start reviewing, because my passion for books is just like their passion for movies.

I have a lot of role models.

But I'll just say one of my role models. Michael Jordan, he really inspired me to keep playing basketball even though I took a long hiatus in the sport. But, thanks to him I have continued to keep playing.

Steve Prefontaine - I am sorry I didn't ever get to meet this man

he just ran and attacked life like it was a competition...I still quote him a lot this to this day

"A lot of people run a race to see who is fastest. I run to see who has the most guts"

I've had people tell me it's not good to have one because it draws you away from being yourself. Do you think so?

No way! A role model serves as inspiration to change for the better; to become greater than who you are as of now. We should always have something to keep the fire inside of us burning, and I think role models are perfect for the job.

Now on to your question!

I am unsure if I consider her a role model of mine, but I have some mighty respect for Lady Gaga. Coming from NYC and roughing it as a misunderstood artist makes me feel like she's a fighter with a passion, and I can only hope to find the courage to dive headfirst into my dreams.

Ever wonder why her appearance and is so theatrical? Because she has a team of people who she forces to think outside of the box. It's an open field for her crew to explore and experiment with things that inspire them. She pushes them to think differently, take the reins and follow their heart with no boundaries. My folks, this is how people improve themselves: by pushing their own limits. Lady Gaga pushed herself uphill to get where she is now, and she helps others become excited about their individualism via the same method.

Like wow. Props to you, Mother Monster. You've inspired the masses to dare to be different and live with fewer self restrictions. wub.png

My rolemodel would have to be deadmau5. He creates such fantastic music.

He is actually the reason I began to produce music, because his music sounds fantastic, and I thought "What if I could create this?"

And so I did, and I have loved it ever since my first track. I also sometimes play the piano, and perform instrumental songs. At my Aunty's wedding I played a few songs on the grand piano. C:

~Colgate

I really don't exactly have a true role model exactly for in general or something, although theres people I strive to be like in certain things, like for instance I strive to be as good as the 1st chair trumpet player since hes 1st in state honor band. Or things like that. But I don't have a single person who I want to be exactly like really. Because most people I could use as role models have qualities I don't care to have.

I doubt I'd ever achive the stuff any of my role models have though honestly.

Edited by Zygen

Two of the biggest role models/inspirations for me are Yuri Lowenthal and Hugh Laurie, specifically in their characters of Derek Stiles and Greg House. These two men, nearly singlehandedly, made me connect my joy in helping others with medicine. It is because of them that I realized I wanted to be a doctor, so I could help people in the best way possible: helping them survive what nature throws at them. Major props to those two.

"Every disease has a cure..."

Carl Sagan. Everything that comes out of his mouth is profound.

His Pale Blue Dot monologue from Cosmos really stuck with me. NASA should work on resurrecting him, stat.

• Brohoof 1

Felix Baumgartner - He's the epitome of courage, which it takes massive amounts of to jump from the edge of space and pretty much make a real sonic rainboom.

And Chuck Yeager, for pretty much the same reasons. Every pilot should strive to be like him.

Edited by AtomicBassCannon

Paul Gilbert. Greatest guitarist to ever live, and the nicest guy you could ever meet. He never flaunted his abilities and because of that his fame was stunted. But he loves playing, not the fame. He's never been hooked on drugs and to my knowledge he doesn't drink or smoke on an addictive level. Basically everything I want to be in life is Paul Gilbert.

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, so this is a pretty simple thread. Who do you think is your hero; who do you admire and look up to? A parent, an idol of yours, or a fictional character? 

Personally for me, since I was in 1st grade, my hero has been Captain William McCool. 480px-William_Cameron_McCool.jpg

Captain McCool was an astronaut on STS-107, a mission by Space Shuttle Columbia in February of 2013. He perished when the shuttle disintegrated on re-entry into the atmosphere. The loss was especially hard for my community because McCool was the father of one of my friends and classmates. I may not want to be an astronaut anymore, but Captain McCool is the definition of a brave, honorable person to me. 

So now its your guy's turn. Who's your hero?

• Brohoof 1

urlbl.jpg

Batman is a hero who stands up for what's right, and he is a superhero who does not have superpowers at all. Sure he doesn't kill criminals but, he is a hero that will not boast about how good he is.

• Brohoof 1

The Doctor as a character has always been my hero. The absolute freedom that comes with being able to travel anywhere in time and space is very appealing to me. Other than that I'd say Gordon Ramsay is my hero just because of the sheer awesomeness that he exudes on a regular basis.

img-1817323-1-urlbl.jpg

Batman is a hero who stands up for what's right, and he is a superhero who does not have superpowers at all. Sure he doesn't kill criminals but, he is a hero that will not boast about how good he is.

Yeah, everyone knows Batman is the best superhero. And the fact that he doesn't kill criminals makes him a lot more heroic and impressive in my opinion. He has to show such restraint and control all the time to not break his one rule.

The Doctor as a character has always been my hero. The absolute freedom that comes with being able to travel anywhere in time and space is very appealing to me. Other than that I'd say Gordon Ramsay is my hero just because of the sheer awesomeness that he exudes on a regular basis.

Gordon Ramsay is your hero for being so awesome all the time. I guess its as good a reason as any, right?

I have a few, they are:

Frodo Baggins, hell, the entire fellowship of the ring.

The Game Grumps crew.

The Doctor and Rose Tyler.

Hank Hill .

Lol Hank Hill as a hero? Huh, never thought him that way...

• Brohoof 1

-Patrick Stewart - troubled childhood, becomes rich, famous and a knight,

-Captain Picard - He knows how to star trek really well  :derp:

I'll probably come up with a better list later, but Patrick Stewart is definitely one of my heroes and I will be his faithful minion forever.