Flow

59 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >:(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

My thoughts copied from another forum. There might be some duplication of information already discussed in this thread.

Sadly, there were no Reading Rainbow jokes or a surprise voice acting credit to LeVar Burton. But that's okay.

The episode was fairly good. I'm not sure I'd rate it super high, but it's definitely always good to see some character development, especially when it leads to Rainbow Dash becoming a reader. I noticed some interesting things:

Apparently Dashie is the only one amongst the Mane Six who doesn't read. This kinda surprises me, because while I'd always figured Twilight was an avid reader, I didn't think the others would spend all that much time reading, primarily because I figured they had other hobbies. Yet even Pinkie apparently reads a lot. We do now have full confirmation that Twilight reads fiction, though. (Some people doubted she did, for some reason.)

Technology shown in this episode was ratjer revealing. That flashlight, for instance, wouldn't have looked out of place in a modern hardware store! And it's in the same episode as a firefly lamp...odd. Also I heard near the beginning, when Dashie was awakening, the beeping of a heart monitor. Granted we didn't see said monitor afterwards, but we did see something similar as the Cutie Mark of that one Unicorn doctor. Of course we've seen similar technology before, such as that oscillator Pinkie was hooked up to in Feeling Pinkie Keen. We also saw something that looked almost like an intercom...this weird microphone like device hanging on the wall. Here's a screenshot(it's not the best but I didn't think to take a screenshot until after I finished watching the episode and I wasn't about to load the entire episode just to hunt down a batter one):

Posted Image

Not sure what it is. There's those buttons on the console over Dashie's head that also confuse me. What might they be?

Also, I noticed that the writer of the book seems to be unfamiliar with the term cliche. Spiders AND cobras in a pit of quicksand with spike walls? Don't you think that's a bit overkill? But then, that was the point. It's parody, and rather funny at that.

As for the villain creature, he was a piece of Central American mythology!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahuizotl_%28creature%29

Anyway, on the whole it was fairly funny. While I was hoping that Dashie would try to sneak into the library to get Twilight's copy of the book rather than going back for it in the hospital, it was still rather funny. Not sure what was up with the crazy barking pony, though. And hey, we at least got to see Dashie's bedroom in her cloudhouse! Rather spartan, actually...I'm surprised by that.

• Brohoof 1

Why would they start an MLP marathon at 6 AM EST 3 AM PST??? What child in their right mind would be up watching ponies at 3??? xD But yeah, Ninja Dash was lol... She sure caused a ruckus--- "FRACAS!!!" Uh, whatever... She sure caused a lot of trouble over that book xD

Hey, a pony's gotta get her read on ;)

• Brohoof 1

I really enjoyed this episode. It may not need to be mentioned, but it was a nice break from the string of Apple Family-centric episodes which, while entertaining, were beginning to revolve around a very similar premise. In this episode, however, the sole concentration is on Dash and her newfound love of reading. I would be genuinely surprised if the writers were not making a subtle nod to the bronies who would be watching. There are one too many references to suggest it was mere happenstance (e.g., "I can't let my friends find out!"). True to MLP form, it could still refer to any number of issues which involve embarassment over enjoying a hobby. Those types of lessons are indicative of the show, and they truly allow MLP to shine at its brightest.

The parody of Indiana Jones had enough nice touches to keep it from falling into yet another trite spoof of the series. And an Indy-like character is probably one Dash could relate to in terms of her own preferences and experience. The escape from the hospital mirroring Daring Do's escape left me with mixed feelings; I understood the "life imitating art" deal, but it still felt a bit rehashed. I probably would have preferred Dash interacting more with the Mane 6 as she tries to continue finishing the series yet fears the ridicule of being known as an "egghead."

Speaking of "egghead," I think it's understated how strong the stigma of being well read or literate can be. We tend to take it for granted in an age of communication and increased higher learning, but sometimes it's tough to be smart. There are times when people do not want to know that you are thinking deeply and dynamically, not because the world is filled with dumb people, but rather due to how intelligent individuals are oft times associated with patronizing their audience and being aloof. Surely these things happen, of course, yet well-read folks can end up being tarred with the same brush. Twilight would have been the natural pony with which to explore this issue; instead Dash is used, and it gave the message an original flavor of sorts.

Overall, a very enjoyable episode.

Not sure what it is. There's those buttons on the console over Dashie's head that also confuse me. What might they be?

I would think those buttons are used to call the nurse and/or plug in certain electronic devices.

• Brohoof 2

I would think those buttons are used to call the nurse and/or plug in certain electronic devices.

Normally, yes, but we haven't seen much in the way of electronic devices for the ponies to plug in before now.

I realize the writers of the show are free to invoke whatever technology they like in episodes, but I've been trying to build a consistent picture of what Equestria's technological capabilities are actually like, and this episode has thrown a few wringers into that whole mix. For instance, the guardpony appeared to be wearing a walkie-talkie on his belt. That means they have radio technology, which REALLY ramps up the possible sorts of things they might have access to.

And yet we've never seen a radio before, nor even a telephone which should come before radios. So it's a bizarre anomoly that frustrates me.

Exactly! At first I was suspecting it was kinda like the bronification process, but that quote really nailed it in for me - this episode was about two things, to two different audiences (Which was really quiet ingenious, Hasbro!)

1 - Younger viewers: Reading

2 - Other viewers (Bronies and pegasisters): Bronification

They managed to excellently cover both at once.

Not to mention, I've been low on love for Rainbow Dash since earlier episodes where she's been less than nice, but IMO, this really brought her back to her old self again in my eyes.

RD: "I hate to admit it to myself, and would really hate to admit it to my friends but... I love this story! ...

I'm an EGGHEAD"

EDIT:

Heck, If you think about it, the episode even seems to reference illegally pirating episodes off the internet when RD steals the book from the hospital, so she doesn't have to publicly acknowledge she likes it.

And you know what? It's not that my view on RD has changed - it's that She's changed, too. Before, I liked her a lot less when I realized she'd be the type of person that would laugh at a brony. But now she IS one! :D lol (Well, Pegasister, I guess. And she's actually a Pegasus, lol.)

Welcome to the Herd, Rainbow Dash!

Wow, there's a bit of EVERYTHING in this episode. The writers have really done it this time. Simply awesome.

My thoughts copied from another forum. There might be some duplication of information already discussed in this thread.

Sadly, there were no Reading Rainbow jokes or a surprise voice acting credit to LeVar Burton. But that's okay.

The episode was fairly good. I'm not sure I'd rate it super high, but it's definitely always good to see some character development, especially when it leads to Rainbow Dash becoming a reader. I noticed some interesting things:

Apparently Dashie is the only one amongst the Mane Six who doesn't read. This kinda surprises me, because while I'd always figured Twilight was an avid reader, I didn't think the others would spend all that much time reading, primarily because I figured they had other hobbies. Yet even Pinkie apparently reads a lot. We do now have full confirmation that Twilight reads fiction, though. (Some people doubted she did, for some reason.)

According to "Pinkie Pie the Genius", it's not too surprising. But what surprised me was "simple farmer folk" AJ endorsing reading.

Technology shown in this episode was ratjer revealing. That flashlight, for instance, wouldn't have looked out of place in a modern hardware store! And it's in the same episode as a firefly lamp...odd. Also I heard near the beginning, when Dashie was awakening, the beeping of a heart monitor. Granted we didn't see said monitor afterwards, but we did see something similar as the Cutie Mark of that one Unicorn doctor. Of course we've seen similar technology before, such as that oscillator Pinkie was hooked up to in Feeling Pinkie Keen. We also saw something that looked almost like an intercom...this weird microphone like device hanging on the wall. Here's a screenshot(it's not the best but I didn't think to take a screenshot until after I finished watching the episode and I wasn't about to load the entire episode just to hunt down a batter one):

Posted Image

At this point, for my fanfic, I'm assuming ~1950's technology. The computer from Pinkie Keen, the hydroelectric dam in "Mare Do Well", and other little things have conviced me that's more accurate.

And remember - just because old tech exists doesn't mean new tech doesn't, if the old tech still works.

I mean - think of a firefly lantern - no batteries required! Dim, but not an issue if you don't need much light.

Anyway, on the whole it was fairly funny. While I was hoping that Dashie would try to sneak into the library to get Twilight's copy of the book rather than going back for it in the hospital, it was still rather funny. Not sure what was up with the crazy barking pony, though. And hey, we at least got to see Dashie's bedroom in her cloudhouse! Rather spartan, actually...I'm surprised by that.

But I'm not that surprised. Remember, she spends most of her time in Ponyville ;)

According to "Pinkie Pie the Genius", it's not too surprising. But what surprised me was "simple farmer folk" AJ endorsing reading.

Pinkie Pie the Genius? I assume that's a Tumbler I'm unfamiliar with.

But yes, Applejack surprised me, though not because she's a farmer per se but more because everything we've seen her do on her downtime has generally related to other physical activity. While not quite possessing the hyperactive metabolism of Pinkie or Dashie, Applejack does seem to have plenty of energy and a need to be moving...reading might have her sitting still for too long. Plus she might not have all that much time to read books...but then that just means she could steal a few minutes here, a few minutes there, etc.

The surprise with Pinkie was for similar reasons, never figuring she could sit still long enough. Though if she can, she can.

Rarity...I figured she'd never have time to do it, or she'd prefer to work on creating her own stuff instead.

Fluttershy, though, I figured she was a reader.

At this point, for my fanfic, I'm assuming ~1950's technology. The computer from Pinkie Keen, the hydroelectric dam in "Mare Do Well", and other little things have conviced me that's more accurate.

Well, see, the only problem is that we've never seen a telephone. Until this episode we'd never seen any form of radio technology either, and we still haven't seen any radio actually working. Plus other thing seem to suggest more 1910s to me, just the general feel of architecture and so on.

And yet, they have so many technological anomolies that a consistent, clear picture is almost impossible to assemble. I'm going to have to go back and rewatch every single episode and note down every last example of technology if I want to create a true depiction of their technological capabilities.

And remember - just because old tech exists doesn't mean new tech doesn't, if the old tech still works.

I mean - think of a firefly lantern - no batteries required! Dim, but not an issue if you don't need much light.

True, true. Though now the question is, where did she get the lamp?

But I'm not that surprised. Remember, she spends most of her time in Ponyville ;)

Again, true, but I would have figured she'd at least collect the trophies of her various athletic competition winnings, other things she might need for her active lifestyle, etc...and for the place to be a huge mess. Instead it was one of the cleanest rooms we've ever seen. Rainbow Dash: closet neat freak?

I felt like this episode had a lot of potential, but honestly it was pretty average.

What I DID like:

- The fact that Rainbow left the hospital 2/3rds through the episode. I honestly didn't expect her to leave until the end.

- The way that they handled people interrupting Rainbow's reading. It was just done perfectly.

- How Daring Doo's story was mirrored in Rainbow's life. Twilight's "She's a lot like you!!" comment ended up having real weight.

- The moral. Though I have noticed that It's becoming more common in Season 2 for them to not write the letter in-episode.

What I DIDN'T like:

- Daring Doo's story. Yeah, I understand that it wasn't meant to engage the audience like Rainbow's plot situation, but having it be a simple Indiana Jones spoof was really disappointing to me. At very least, I expected Doo to have a moral of her own.

- The ending. I would have much preferred for someone to walk in/sneak up on her reading, than simply pressure her into admitting it for herself.

Edited by Pony Joe

I just watched the new episode and I can say, without a doubt...THAT IT WAS SOOOOO AWESOME! :wub: Daring Do was totally Indiana Jones in the form a female pony, which is totally awesome! Edited by super muffin derpy506

A heavy reliance on agriculture and manual labor suggests technology appropriate for the 1920s and 30s in the United States. There hasn't been an overwhelming indication of industrialization outside of the Flim Flam brothers and the dam from "The Mysterious Mare Do Well." There are, of course, railroad networks, but those existed in the US during the middle of the 19th century. There apparently hasn't been a need for moving toward heavy industry in Equestria, probably because of the prevelance of magic; even Canterlot, the capital and major city, is fairly simple and antiquated, albeit lavish and wealthy.

Manehattan---and, presumably, Fillydelphia---is the exception to the norm. Again, the architecture and style speak to a time similar to the 1920s in America. Therefore, we might be able to deduce that Ponyville is low-tech due to its rural roots and location. I don't think the writers have actually thought too deeply about the matter, but it is a potential justification for the lack of abundant technology save for critical institutions (e.g., the hospital).

Edited by Thereisnospoon303

While i did enjoy the Indiana Jones references, they took a rough total of 8 minutes from the episode. A lot of it pretty much avoiding traps. Am i the only one thinking that it was just a tad too much? I love the episode, but i just have this feeling that some more character-related scenes were sacrificed for the book story this way. Or do you think it was nicely balanced?

A heavy reliance on agriculture and manual labor suggests technology appropriate for the 1920s and 30s in the United States. There hasn't been an overwhelming indication of industrialization outside of the Flim Flam brothers and the dam from "The Mysterious Mare Do Well." There are, of course, railroad networks, but those existed in the US during the middle of the 19th century. There apparently hasn't been a need for moving toward heavy industry in Equestria, probably because of the prevelance of magic; even Canterlot, the capital and major city, is fairly simple and antiquated, albeit lavish and wealthy.

Manehattan---and, presumably, Fillydelphia---is the exception to the norm. Again, the architecture and style speak to a time similar to the 1920s in America. Therefore, we might be able to deduce that Ponyville is low-tech due to its rural roots and location. I don't think the writers have actually thought too deeply about the matter, but it is a potential justification for the lack of abundant technology save for critical institutions (e.g., the hospital).

There's an episode where the CMC are in class and Cheerilee is talking about how everypony's mane style was different back in her time. If you watch that episode though, you'll see advanced mathematics written on the board behind Cheerilee. So, ponies learn vector caculus when they're young. But hey, who needs math and technology when you've got wings and magic?

Cheerilee had something of an 80s hairstyle going, if I recall correctly.

I wonder if and when the writers will intentionally begin inserting discrepancies in order to annoy bronies---if they haven't already! :P

Edited by Thereisnospoon303

I enjoyed this episode. It's not one of my favourites but it's definitely one of the better ones in my opinion. I loved how they referenced Indiana Jones and that Daring Do was basically a recolor of Rainbow Dash. It made me think that she sort of visualized herself as the character as some of us probably do when we read books. I also liked how they used a bunch of new expressions. If there's anything I didn't like, it's that it felt a little rushed to me and we see more of the book's story than we do RD's. Also, it had no real emotional impact on me. It had some comedic parts but it didn't really make me laugh.

on the topic of the tech of equestria, in the cutiemark chronicles when AJ is in manehattan, isn't there a phone in the background of that living room? gonna have to rewatch now but i think there were a few other hints of tech in that and a few other episodes... but then in family appreciation day when AB is helping granny smith make the jam she is pumping a billows on the oven/stove, indicating much older tech (never once heard of any real cooking stove with a figgin billows IRL lol).

one more thing to consider though (and another thing i'll have to rewatch the chronicles ep for) is road pavement, not many paved roads which does make sense for a world of ponies as hard pavement is unpleasant and damaging to hooves, and in canterlot the few examples look to generally be cobblestone which has a tendency to be less harsh as each stone can independantly give so that the heavy horses don't have to absorb all of their own impact within their hooves/leg joints.

also regarding automobiles, in a world of ponies again it would be rather pointless. what need have they for travel at unsafe speeds which they can mostly manage alreay? and as efficiently as four legged animals can get around there would be little energy saved, not to mention the difficulty of operating so complex a machine with no hands and the danger inherent when that is factored together with the excessive speeds that would be needed to justify the cost and operation. still further is that in order for cars or similar machines to be efficient as a means of transport they require hard paved roads, see above paragraph.

on topic, i really enjoyed the indiana references and the methods of transition when RD was interrupted, a good nod to bronies and even to parents of the original target demographic lol, who doesn't like indiana jones? i think this goes in my list of most entertaining episodes, even though my initial watching got interrupted by my granny for one thing and then my friend calling me over to help with his bike, and i just want to get back to watching ponies!!! i literally shared in RD's irritation at being interrupted.

I poured through my copy of Cutie Mark Chronicles a couple of times, but I never saw a telephone in the Manehatten part. Nor did the roads in Manehatten look like modern paved roads...they looked like more cobblestone to me.'

As for automobiles, they'd still be useful for a number of things, especially cargo carrying, but also sheer distance travel at higher speeds. Your typical highway vehicle travels at about 60 MPH or so, whereas your typical pony can't run more than 25 MPH at a full gallop, and they can't maintain a full gallop for very long.

So while we have only seen one automobile, the SSCS6K, they'd still be useful technology to have AND should be well within Equestrian capabilities...if they have a sufficiently sized combustion engine, which might not be available. Yes, they have train engines, but those are steam powered. The SSCS6K also looked like it was steam powered.

They would also need sufficient access to petroleum products. While it's possible to develop a battery that can hold an electric charge to sustain a vehicle, it's not at all easy and requires much more advanced material science than the ponies seem to have. Fortunately we have seen signs of plastic products, such as the soap bottles in Feeling Pinkie Keen, so they may very well have access to crude oil...whether or not they have enough access to justify use and processing for gasoline is unknown.

• Brohoof 1

Finally watched the whole episode. (Family came over, then had to run errands and do grocery shopping.) I liked it. It isn't my favorite episode, but I loved the Daring Do segments. Also, Kyronea is right. Ahuizotl is a creature from Aztec mythology.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Its name means water dog. It uses its hand-like tail to drag victims underwater where it can drown them. An Aztec king was named after the creature.

Edited by Slendermane

It was nice as usually, but not the best. I actually expected something similar, with Dash getting into the story and all, but I was hoping the story she read included all of the mane six. I tend to dislike episodes wich focus only on one pony, or have particulary little dialog, like this one.

It wasn't bad, but the last two have been quite better

Also, does Daring Do have the same voice as Gilda or am I crazy?