Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Villains Being Redeemed

Roger Boyd

It's interesting if done right. They could always be pacified though.

Meaning turned into antagonists or at least non-hostile. It's dangerously lame to turn a villain into a good guy in one episode.

I never really saw Discord as an evil villain. He always seemed like a messed up child with too much power. Anyway, the way the writers handled his reformation was amazing imo. Especially in the season finale. Anyway, I think reforming someone like Tirek, who is clearly evil would just be stupid and unbelievable. It worked for Discord because he never came off as mean-spirited or evil

I never really saw Discord as an evil villain. He always seemed like a messed up child with too much power. Anyway, the way the writers handled his reformation was amazing imo. Especially in the season finale. Anyway, I think reforming someone like Tirek, who is clearly evil would just be stupid and unbelievable. It worked for Discord because he never came off as mean-spirited or evil

He never came off? Go back and watch Twilight getting Discorded... Thats a jerkbag if i ever see one. Discord was the worst choice because he had done this again and there was no remorse the second time. You know what they say... Fool me once(thousand years ago) shame on you, fool me twice(return of harmony) shame on me, fool me three times(tirek) you are "that guy". Discord is right now "that guy" to me... The "redeemed" (sarcasm... Who are we fooling really) asshole.

I'm absolutely fine with the redeeming of villains.

It shows that inside, villains aren't who we think we are. Discord threw the world into a reign of chaos, but that's probably because he had a rough childhood with no friends, but deep down, he always wanted one. It helps expand on the character.

Trixie used to be a boaster, but guess what? Now she's the 'Humble and Apologetic Trixie'. She's still Trixie, except she learned not to get her ego get in front of her friendships.

This is one thing I love about MLP:

CHANGE.

Scootaloo wanted to get tutored by Dash? She's getting tutored by Dash. Dash wants to be in the Wonderbolts? She's (Training) in the Wonderbolts. Trixie was a jerk? She's a fair and honest (mostly) pony. Twilight Sparkle, destined for great things, stuck being a librarian? She's now a princess. Fluttershy a pushover? She's no longer a pushover. Discord evil and chaotic because he's lonely? He now has a friend in Fluttershy.

Do you know how TIRING it is when shows have no change? When every single last joke is used AGAIN. AND AGAIN. AND AGAIN TILL IT GETS BORING?!

tl;dr: I think it's great.

Edit: I just realized I posted on this thread with an entirely different opinion. I am so awesome.

Someone understands... Fuck yea.

He never came off? Go back and watch Twilight getting Discorded... Thats a jerkbag if i ever see one. Discord was the worst choice because he had done this again and there was no remorse the second time. You know what they say... Fool me once(thousand years ago) shame on you, fool me twice(return of harmony) shame on me, fool me three times(tirek) you are "that guy". Discord is right now "that guy" to me... The "redeemed" (sarcasm... Who are we fooling really) asshole.

It's true that Discord was evil, and he never really was reformed to until the Season Four finale.

Discord being an asshole to me is debatable, but I myself would agree with that assessment. The truth is, though, that the Mane Six were tasked with reforming that asshole, and while they managed to make him stop trying to take over Equestria and spread chaos, they really only succeeded in showing him that Fluttershy ever truly cared. The rest of the Mane Six never gave Discord the time of day and constantly belittled him, gave him zero trust, and were never nice to him. Fluttershy was literally the only one who was ever nice to him until the Season Four finale.

Does that make Discord in the right? Not in my book. But it also shows that the rest of the Mane Six never valued Discord as a friend, even if he was rough around the edges. Well, that is until the Season Four finale, but we'll see how it plays out next season.

It's true that Discord was evil, and he never really was reformed to until the Season Four finale.

Discord being an asshole to me is debatable, but I myself would agree with that assessment. The truth is, though, that the Mane Six were tasked with reforming that asshole, and while they managed to make him stop trying to take over Equestria and spread chaos, they really only succeeded in showing him that Fluttershy ever truly cared. The rest of the Mane Six never gave Discord the time of day and constantly belittled him, gave him zero trust, and were never nice to him. Fluttershy was literally the only one who was ever nice to him until the Season Four finale.

Does that make Discord in the right? Not in my book. But it also shows that the rest of the Mane Six never valued Discord as a friend, even if he was rough around the edges. Well, that is until the Season Four finale, but we'll see how it plays out next season.

Discord was a tottal douche during his villain time... Because he was a villain simply put. I am a little bit dissapointed that he was never called to account for his actions before or his conscience challenged. In my eyes until he makes it right by making ammends (tirek was his chance and he blew it) he will never be redeemed fully in my eyes.

Well seems like the mane 6 got bitten in the flank by what they did and so did Discord. "I will treat you like you treat me only better..." personal motto.

Discord was a tottal douche during his villain time... Because he was a villain simply put. I am a little bit dissapointed that he was never called to account for his actions before or his conscience challenged. In my eyes until he makes it right by making ammends (tirek was his chance and he blew it) he will never be redeemed fully in my eyes.

Well seems like the mane 6 got bitten in the flank by what they did and so did Discord. "I will treat you like you treat me only better..." personal motto.

Fair enough, but I think that he is reformed in the Mane Six's eyes. Given time, he might eventually apologize, or he might do it off-screen. Either way, at least we know now that Discord sincerely values Twilight Sparkle as a friend, at least. And that means a lot considering that she's a princess.

True, true. Fluttershy should've tried harder to get her friends to like Discord I guess, but it's not like Discord was making it easy on them. There was a lot of pride on both sides, I think.

• Brohoof 1

Fair enough, but I think that he is reformed in the Mane Six's eyes. Given time, he might eventually apologize, or he might do it off-screen. Either way, at least we know now that Discord sincerely values Twilight Sparkle as a friend, at least. And that means a lot considering that she's a princess.

True, true. Fluttershy should've tried harder to get her friends to like Discord I guess, but it's not like Discord was making it easy on them. There was a lot of pride on both sides, I think.

Pride and prejudice don't help people reintegrate with society... Ask convicts.

(edited)

Sometimes yes, other times no. Some can be redeemed, while others can't. The one mistake the writers do when redeeming villans, is they make it go TOO FAST!

All can be redeemed if you are a capable writer. Making it believable is the hard part. 20 minutes are never enough. We need over an hour. Edited by nioniosbbbb

All can be redeemed if you are a capable writer. Making it believable is the hard part. 20 minutes are never enough. We need over an hour.

Yeah, agreed. I like how the writers spanned Discords redemption to all the way to the end of Season 4. I knew he wasn't really redeemed in S3 E10

Yeah, agreed. I like how the writers spanned Discords redemption to all the way to the end of Season 4. I knew he wasn't really redeemed in S3 E10

You know we have talked about this and i told you thats the better way to do redemptions when we talked about QC. You knew but you couldn't have known that this would continue. And just so i catch up to the worst don't let me hear the "he wasn't truly evil" stuff i don't believe them.

You know we have talked about this and i told you thats the better way to do redemptions when we talked about QC. You knew but you couldn't have known that this would continue. And just so i catch up to the worst don't let me hear the "he wasn't truly evil" stuff i don't believe them.

What I was saying was, at the end of S3 E10, he still had a tiny bit of stuff in him. If he could be swayed by Tirek so easily, then...

What I was saying was, at the end of S3 E10, he still had a tiny bit of stuff in him. If he could be swayed by Tirek so easily, then...

More likely that was just the treatment he got by the rest of the mane 6 bitting them in the ass.

I don't really like it when villains are reformed. It makes me upset, considering I adore villains because they're so flamboyant (Usually) and think they can't fail, but then they become good guys, and they lose that touch of, "Oo, I'm going to impersonate a princess because I'm so awesome and this plan can't fail." (Can you guess which bad guy this is? XD) 

(edited)

I don't really like it when villains are reformed. It makes me upset, considering I adore villains because they're so flamboyant (Usually) and think they can't fail, but then they become good guys, and they lose that touch of, "Oo, I'm going to impersonate a princess because I'm so awesome and this plan can't fail." (Can you guess which bad guy this is? XD)

Queen Chrysalis... And thats simply your preference. I didnt see Discord lose his assholish way when he got "reformed". So what you say is actually invalid... Villains dont have to change completely when being reformed. Edited by nioniosbbbb

(edited)

Queen Chrysalis... And thats simply your preference. I didnt see Discord lose his assholish way when he got "reformed".

That's true, I understand that now, from a different perspective. He does still have that villain-ish look from time-to-time, I've kind of forgotten about that.

Ok, he has that villain-ish look a lot.

Edited by Anci3ntArtiFact

That's true, I understand that now, from a different perspective. He does still have that villain-ish look from time-to-time, I've kind of forgotten about that.

Ok, he has that villain-ish look a lot.

So does QC need to lose this too? I mean for the sake of a hypothetical scenario.

Nightmare Moon/Princess Luna's redemption was kind of necessary for the pilot, but...overall I was glad that Celestia finally got her sister back-as cheesy as it sounds.

Trixie sort of had a moment at the end of 'Magic Duel' (which is technically the only time she was an actual 'villain') but, it was really hard to tell whether or not it was meant to be substantial given the the spin-off comics and the clips from the Equestria Girls universe.

Currently, for all we know Discord isn't truly redeemed and is playing the rest of the cast for saps-so, I don't truly believe that he's actually reformed or redeemed.

Sunset Shimmer, I think would definitely be entertaining to see being reformed considering her nature.

Suri, Queen Chrysalis, King Sombra, and Lord Tirek should stay bad (or gone in Sombra's case) as turning them good would definitely come off as forced.

Gilda and Lightning Dust I'd put in the 'maybe' category to wait and see when/if they ever show up again.

(edited)

I think this discussion of villians being redeemed need to end. Not all of them need, can, or should be redeemed. Some just don't make sense. Hell, redeeming some villains will probably ruin them instead

Edited by Big Boss

Currently, for all we know Discord isn't truly redeemed and is playing the rest of the cast for saps-so, I don't truly believe that he's actually reformed or redeemed.

Gilda and Lightning Dust I'd put in the 'maybe' category to wait and see when/if they ever show up again.

Eh, I'm pretty sure at this point that Discord really is redeemed. The entire point of his presence in the fourth season was to show that he wasn't really reformed but only valued Fluttershy as a friend; once the finale swung around, he really did become redeemed and he will likely be a lot better now that he has fully embraced the friendship of the Mane Six, particularly Twilight, who had harassed non-stop from the beginning.

And Gilda and Lightning Dust could be redeemed, but I've been pulling for them to show up together or something and maybe confront Dash in some kind of competition or event, and then both of them learn at the same time some kind of lesson about friendship/loyalty/humbleness.

Its just a way to make characters people like show up more. its just pandering and i wish they would focus on more important things. like character development or removing wings

Redemption is a good thing is pulled off right; however it shouldn't go too far. I mean, it's one thing is someone like Renard from "Gargoyles" is redeemed, but we still need the like of Jafar and Maleficent to be evil. Why? Because that is just THEM!

As such, I can accept Discord's redemption because it makes sense for him. As much as we loved him in "Return of Harmony" I think we could only go so far with his character; especially as he became a recurring character.

On Trixie...well, I don't count her as evil, just an antagonist.

However, a good story needs villains, which is why I wouldn't really be for Chrysalis, Sombra, or Tirek turning over a new leaf because they are effective at what they are.