Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Mary-Sue Test

Stary Dreams

The title pretty much says it all. Now I'm sure most of us have an OC, whether it be from a novel your writing, a fanfic you wrote that involved an OC, etc. Ever been curious to know if they are Mary-Sues?

(Mary Sue- Basically a character that is perfect, cliché, everyone loves them, a badass, etc.) This is a test I found on a website that can tell you that. Gender doesn't matter.

My score: (Which utterly surprised me, I thought my OC was a definite Mary Sue)

post-7148-0-76855300-1366242970_thumb.jpg

Take in mind that these tests are not 100% accurate, so don't start throwing furniture across the room because you got a high score.

Link: http://www.onlyfiction.net/ms-test.html

Here's a shorter one that Pripyat Pony mentioned.

Link: http://www.katfeete.net/writing/marysue.html

Edited by Stary Dreams
  • Brohoof 4

I think it'll help if a proper definition of Mary Sue is given, since many people use that term without actually understanding what a Mary Sue is.

As for me, 39. Goddammit.

713665a4fa776598d7b266dc9eba1e60.png?136

I was role playing as my OC while taking the test, and he demanded that every box be filled in.

I guess you could say he really puts the OC in OCD.

I don't actually have an OC, this post was made entirely for that joke.

• Brohoof 15

Just tried it with all of my current pony OCs, and surprisingly the one that I consider the normal-est scored the highest 3lnNF.png

...and the magical fire artillery unicorn scored only 17. Huh.

"Windy Runner is suspiciously similar to you as you'd like to be. He isn't really very cool: he blends into crowds, he hangs out on the fringes at parties, and wearing shades after dark makes him run into things. There's never been anything special about him that he could see; boy, is he in for a surprise. He's got no emotional scars to speak of. And he's gotten no slack from you. 

In general, you care deeply about Windy Runner, but you're smart enough to let him stand on his own, without burdening him with your personal fantasies or propping him up with idealization and over-dramatization. Windy Runner is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of him."

Well, I can live with that!

"Supernova is suspiciously similar to you as you'd like to be. He isn't really very cool: he blends into crowds, he hangs out on the fringes at parties, and wearing shades after dark makes him run into things. There's never been anything special about him that he could see; boy, is he in for a surprise. He's got no emotional scars to speak of. And he's gotten no slack from you. 

In general, you care deeply about Supernova, but you're smart enough to let him stand on his own, without burdening him with your personal fantasies or propping him up with idealization and over-dramatization. Supernova is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of him."

Score Breakdown 
He's Got My Nose 15 
You Mean Plaid Is Out? 7 
Plain Joe 0 
Healthy as a Horse 0 
Momma HATES Him! 0 
Total: 22 

Cool. img-1369822-1-UNZJLhS.png

I used a character I created in my head. Not a pony, just a human.

"Lilly is only a little like you. She isn't really very cool: she blends into crowds, she hangs out on the fringes at parties, and wearing shades after dark makes her run into things. She may have sometimes thought that she was special, or destined for greater things, but probably dismissed the idea as a fantasy. She's come in for her share of hurt, but gotten off with minor damage. And you've been sparing with the free handouts: whatever she gains, she's worked for. 

In general, you care deeply about Lilly, but you're smart enough to let her stand on her own, without burdening her with your personal fantasies or propping her up with idealization and over-dramatization. Lilly is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of her."

I took the test again with another character from my head.

Carmen is suspiciously similar to you as you'd like to be. She is not at all cool; in fact, she thinks cool is a temperature reading, and when she says "Oh, I just put on whatever old thing's lying around," she means "on the floor, where I threw it last night - but I turned the underwear inside out first." There's never been anything special about her that she could see; boy, is she in for a surprise. She's come in for her share of hurt, but gotten off with minor damage. And you've been sparing with the free handouts: whatever she gains, she's worked for. 

In general, you care deeply about Carmen, but you're smart enough to let her stand on her own, without burdening her with your personal fantasies or propping her up with idealization and over-dramatization. Carmen is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of her.

Atmos Natt is nothing like you. He isn't really very cool: he blends into crowds, he hangs out on the fringes at parties, and wearing shades after dark makes him run into things. He may have sometimes thought that he was special, or destined for greater things, but probably dismissed the idea as a fantasy. He's got no emotional scars to speak of. And he's gotten no slack from you. 

In general, you care deeply about Atmos Natt, but you're smart enough to let him stand on his own, without burdening him with your personal fantasies or propping him up with idealization and over-dramatization. Atmos Natt is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of him. 

Score Breakdown 
Do I Know This Guy? 3 
You Mean Plaid Is Out? 9 
I'm Destined For What? 7 
Healthy as a Horse 0 
Momma HATES Him! 3 
Total: 22

Neat!

Dear god. My OC is the sue-king.

marysuej.png

I did the second test too. It disagrees with the first test.

Harmonic Revelations is suspiciously similar to you as you'd like to be. He isn't really very cool: he blends into crowds, he hangs out on the fringes at parties, and wearing shades after dark makes him run into things. He may have sometimes thought that he was special, or destined for greater things, but probably dismissed the idea as a fantasy. He's got no emotional scars to speak of. And he's gotten no slack from you.

In general, you care deeply about Harmonic Revelations, but you're smart enough to let him stand on his own, without burdening him with your personal fantasies or propping him up with idealization and over-dramatization. Harmonic Revelations is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of him.

Edited by Harmonic Revelations

I always think that the problem with the long Mary Sue tests is that any exciting thing you put into a character seems to be a bad thing. Personally, I don't see anything wrong with having such things as a tragic past, mad skillz etc; you just have to balence those out with negatives. For example, my OC Clover is super skilled at magic, but she's blunt and can be a bit rude sometimes. She's also not very good at making friends and sometimes she'll be left alone by somepony and be wondering what she said, cuz she didn't realise it was rude.

The definition of a Mary Sue is somepony who's an author avatar perhaps, or a Sueified canon, who's perfect, is good at everything, everypony loves her, has no negatives and takes over the entire story. Someponies think that Mary Sue is automatically an OC, which is wrong cuz I have seen terribly mangled canons which have been made into Mary Sues.

• Brohoof 2

The second test leaves room, but I don't like how both tests disregard the game's setting for the most part.

"Is my character a mythological being?"  Well the character's a pegasus so DUH but its an MLP character so what do you want from me??

Going to say once again how much I hate the recent Mary Sue firestorm of everyone just slapping the label around to mean anything they don't personally like.  I try not to self insert as much as possible in an RP but the very nature of a role playing game trends toward self insertion.  Unless I were writing a stand alone novel, I wouldn't care as long as my character stayed within the parameters of the game and its context.

• Brohoof 1

Kinda hard when your character is another race. I ran my main D&D character through it (Elf Bard, Chaotic Neutral).

Eos Melys is nothing like you. She isn't really very cool: she blends into crowds, she hangs out on the fringes at parties, and wearing shades after dark makes her run into things. There's never been anything special about her that she could see; boy, is she in for a surprise. She's come in for her share of hurt, but gotten off with minor damage. And she's gotten no slack from you.

In general, you care deeply about Eos Melys, but you're smart enough to let her stand on her own, without burdening her with your personal fantasies or propping her up with idealization and over-dramatization. Eos Melys is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of her.

Score Breakdown

Do I Know This Guy? 3

You Mean Plaid Is Out? 8

Plain Jane 2

Can't Complain 6

Momma HATES Her! 0

Total: 19

(Also, FML about the name question; it specifically picks on Welsh people. My characters are generally all Welsh, and her name is as well. It's easy to pronounce, though, so that's okay. XD)

I also did my main pony OC, Raindancer.

Raindancer is nothing like you. She may be popular, or she may not, but no matter what she's impossible to ignore; she stands out... just the way you always wanted to. She may have sometimes thought that she was special, or destined for greater things, but probably dismissed the idea as a fantasy. She's had more than her fair share of hard knocks, and probably spends more time than she ought moaning about it. And she's gotten no slack from you.

In general, you care deeply about Raindancer, but you're smart enough to let her stand on her own, without burdening her with your personal fantasies or propping her up with idealization and over-dramatization. Raindancer is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of her.

Score Breakdown

Do I Know This Guy? 3

Yo! 11

I'm Destined For What? 6

Angst R Us 20

Momma HATES Her! 0

Total: 40

Work in Progress OC:

"Cato Accent is only a little like you. He is not at all cool; in fact, he thinks cool is a temperature reading, and when he says "Oh, I just put on whatever old thing's lying around," he means "on the floor, where I threw it last night - but I turned the underwear inside out first." He may have sometimes thought that he was special, or destined for greater things, but probably dismissed the idea as a fantasy. He's got no emotional scars to speak of. And he's gotten no slack from you.

In general, you care deeply about Cato Accent, but you're smart enough to let him stand on his own, without burdening him with your personal fantasies or propping him up with idealization and over-dramatization. Cato Accent is a healthy character with a promising career ahead of him."

Score Breakdown
I Love Him, I Let Him Go 8
He's The Anti-Cool 3
I'm Destined For What? 4
Healthy as a Horse 0
Momma HATES Him! 0
Total: 15

Score is definitly subject to change.  To me, he seems a little too uninteresting at the moment.

EDIT: This is the longer test results:

FaCc0iY.png

Edited by Protis Sniper

I took two Mary Sue tests: the first said my character was a Sue, the second said she wasn't. And I can live with that.

I feel that it's okay for a character to have a tragic past and have a great skill set, as long as you balance them out with human flaws to make them believable and more relatable. Just look at Katniss and Harry Potter. Both come from tragic backgrounds, have lost family members, and are known for their skills (Archery/Quidditch) yet many people love these characters, and no one I know would call them Sues. They aren't perfect, they have their strengths and weaknesses. And that's the key to good character creation.

I used to write fanfictions about Mary Sues, and I knew that they were Mary Sues. But I wasn't about to try and publish those stories or anything. It was all in good fun, and helped me hone my writing skills to be where I am today. 

Mary Sues get a lot of hate, but honestly I think we all like to insert a fantasy version of ourselves into our favorite fandom universe now and then. And that's okay. I admit, it's a fun way to enjoy a fandom. As long as you don't go throwing said character in everyone's face or anything. ;) And if your OC is a Sue, don't worry about it. Use that character to help you grow as a writer. Every hour you spend practicing writing is an hour well spent. 

I just took the test a few minutes ago with one of my older Keronian OC's. I know my ponies for a fact arent mary-sue's since they're quite normal from all the other pony info im reading.

Besides that, I took the test and my final score was 60. I could see mabye 35 being the least/most he could get, but other then that I beleef this is kinda inaccurate.
It never really talked about weaknesses/flaws in the person which is what my OC had a lot of to make up for the extreme power he has.

Just note, I took the long test.

Edited by Moon Wave

Well I got a 69. There were a lot of questions that were completely unrelated though, and most of his Backstory and personality couldn't be described with the questions in the quiz.

Well I got a 69. There were a lot of questions that were completely unrelated though, and most of his Backstory and personality couldn't be described with the questions in the quiz.

I got the same score to. The worst part about these quizzes is that they always think your OC is human, so automatically, even though ponies are discolored, that you're supposed to be a Stu or Sue.

Edited by IncognitoKiwoy
  • Brohoof 1

Most of these tests are longform versions of "Is your character exceptional for their circumstances?" and they tend to work poorly when the circumstances are unusual. So, Rarity could pack on Mary Sue points for having a natural affinity with magic, a distinctive tattoo, being albino, having purple hair, having a tail, and being chosen by destiny to go on a quest to unlock her hitherto unknown special talent, even though none of those actually make her stand out amongst her peers.

Other questions might be:

"Does your character break the rules but is let off the hook or even rewarded by authority figures?"

"Does your character make mistakes, but then have things turn out better or otherwise escape the consequences?"

"Does your character become better than a trained professional at a skill in an unnaturally short period of time?"

"Is your character commonly picked out of a crowd despite not being obviously different?"

"Is your character given opportunities not given to other characters?"

Et cetera, et cetera.

Granted, these kinds of questions aren't perfect, but they got to be better than asking after eye color.

• Brohoof 1

I did it with myself. Not my OC, myself. I got "Incredibely Mary Sue." I feel totally Baws. Then I did it with my OC (that I use just for drawing) and got like 2x as much. xD

• Brohoof 1

got a 63.

Über-Sue. You've got one hell of a Mary-Sue on your hands here, and it's not going to be easy to set things right. But do your best. There may be hope for you yet.

not bad really. :P