Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Freewave's Music Genre of the Day

Freewave

I'm not sure how many people have checked out my Rate Your Music account as TheScientist which i've linked in my profile (likely not too many) but in case you haven't figured it out yet, I love lists. Listing allows you to gather and pass on information you've gathered and make the elaborate world of music a little more bearable to explore and understand.

I created the RYM Ultimate Box Set project as the idea that you could put together a cd compilation of the best tracks from the essential artists for just about each and every genre (ok 5 cd's for something like Progressive Rock) and at the same time explore how that genre came to be chonologically and hopefully tell a better story of what a genre is then many of the profiles in Wikipedia.

Why genres? Well genres aren't just something you adopt as a style at some point (well they are NOW) but more importantly they were a new movement and a new musical scene that came to pass. While you're living in an age where there's not much going on for new genres (except a few like Trap Music, Vaporwave, Chillwave, Moombahtonm, and of course Brony Music) at earlier times there were a lot more genres coming into being. So genres really represent musical history and how music often branches off from one genre to the next as it develops out like a tree.

So I'm going to try to post a genre each day that I've got time to kill on MLPForums , talk about what makes then unique and how sound wise what defines them, and a few youtube examples of each. I hope that this gets you excited about musical exploration and what's out there. If ya got any questions lemme know as I'll answer them as best as i can.

Comments are great as i can post more video examples and do more genres. Requests are ok too. laugh.png
  • Brohoof 2

I request that we have this one amazing genre of Metal on the discussion for today, it is a highly unpopular genre, and definitely doesn't deserve that status, it is known as Post-Metal. And also here are two great examples of Post-Metal songs:

• Brohoof 1

Post-Metal? Is there anything after Metal? **looks it up**

Well i see a wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-metal

Post-metal is a fusion music genre, a mixture between the genres of post-rock, heavy metal, and shoegazing.[2]

Hydra Head Records owner and Isis frontman Aaron Turner originally termed the genre "thinking man's metal", demonstrating that his band was trying to move away from common metal conventions.[3] "Post-metal" is the favored name for the growing genre, but it is also referred to as "metalgaze" or "shoegaze metal" as a play on shoegazing,[4][5] as well as "atmospheric metal",[6] or "experimental metal",[6] though this last term is also used to describe avant-garde metal.[7]

Well i'm familar with those other terms. Seems like a way to umbrella a bunch of smaller subgenres falling in and outside of metal into a more catch all term. Not a bad idea but not exact either

------

I can do Blackgaze for yah though (not my set)

Blackgaze (sometimes refered to as Blackened Shoegaze) is one of the most recent movements in the so-called Dark Metal scene that has quickly gained a strong cult following. Though many bluntly describe the genre as a simple fusion of Black Metal and Shoegaze, the genres sound is much more complex, drawing influence from Atmospheric Black Metal pioneers such as Ulver, the Dark Ambient soundscapes of Burzum, as well as Post Punk, Gothic Rock and Post Rock.

Although many other styles of Black Metal have done very similar things that this genre has; like a concentration of atmosphere over rhythm (Atmospheric Black Metal) or Post Punk/Gothic influence (Depressive Black Metal) what sets BSG apart from them is the uplifting ethereal sound thats typical of Dream Pop and Shoegaze, only now taken in a more darker direction.

The combination of all these styles has resulted in, though surprisingly by accident, darker, heavier form of shoegaze, or a lighter, uplifting Alternative Black Metal depending on the way you look at it. The style as developed into a style that can easily stand alone as an equal marriage of Metal, Alternative and Experimetal Rock, though typically grouped within the dark metal scene, as its fans have come to embrace the style more then fans of the other two.

There is no question that the style was mainly forged by singer/guitarists Stéphane Paut aka Neige, who is involved in many of the leading acts within the scene, the most significant of which being his solo project 'Alcest'. There are two primary labels to look for in the genre, Prophecy Productions, who current sign Alcest as well as a number of bands on this list as well as Pest Productions, whos 'The World Comes to an End in the End of a Journey' is a must have for fans of the genre.

2 highlights

Alcest "Les Iris" from  Souvenirs d'un autre monde (2007)

"Immediately upon first listen the connection between one-man band Neige's French "black metal" roots and his current neo-psychedelic explorations under the Alcest moniker doesn't seem so far-fetched, natural even. Playing all the instruments on Alcest's debut full-length Souvenirs d'Un Autre Monde ("Memories of a Future World") Neige builds layers upon layers of ecstatically distorted guitars that evoke obvious comparisons to My Bloody Valentine's sonic extravaganzas and less obvious nods to the brooding minor-key post-metal of Jesu, only perhaps a bit sunnier." - AMG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7m8emcGndU

Woods of Desolation "Torn Beyond Reason" from Torn Beyond Reason (2011) "Woods of Desolation draw heavily from the shoegaze-influenced style of depressive black metal on this album. The music can get pretty heavy at times, but it always maintains a melancholic vibe that's accentuated by razor-thin guitar riffs, tortured vocals, and epic synthesizer passages ... The genius of this observation ultimately lies in its ability to incorporate subtle beauty into raging black metal madness, and (even more importantly) do it with the level of success and precision that Woods of Desolation have done here. Not only are they gifted as musicians, but they are also some of the most talented songwriters in modern black metal." - Sea of Tranquility

I'm pretty happy that we’ve started this thread with Post Metal, and specifically Blackgaze. My favourite Alcest album as to be his recent release, Les Voyages. I own both that, as well as Souvenirs, and I've listened to all of Alcest's releases quite extensively (seeing as I'm a huge fan). I've also seen them live, and I have a lovely poster on my wall. (Yeah… I’m a huge fan)

Although each of Alcest's albums/releases are a work of art which I could listen to again and again, Les Voyages stands out the most for me. It has such a fantastic blend of sounds and emotions, particularly nostalgia and euphoria, and whilst I've always loved Neige's screams, they're particularly powerful in this album. I just wish he used them more frequently in his songs.

Woods of Desolation are another project I love. There are so many great bands and projects that involve Tim Yatrass, who's one of my favourite drummers. As much as I love Woods of Desolation, I've always preferred another project he was involved in - Austere. Whilst they fit into the very specific genre of Depressive Black Metal, they have a very unique sound, similar only to Woods of Desolation.

They only released two albums before the broke up, but both were fantastic and had very different sounds. I currently only own their second album, To Lay like Old Ashes, which is phenomenal.

Edited by Hansel

(edited)

Well might as well cover Shoegaze while we're slightly on-topic. I'm not a metal head but would be glad to link and present any of the box sets as they are requested.

Shoegaze

Shoegaze is a subgenre of alternative rock that emerged from the United Kingdom in the late 1980s. As part of an original scene it lasted until the mid 1990s with a critical zenith reached in 1990 and 1991. The British music press—particularly NME and Melody Maker—named this style Shoegazing (although Melody Maker also termed it "the scene that celebrates itself") because the musicians in these bands maintained a motionless persona during live performances, standing on stage while concentrating at their effects pedals or the floor; hence the idea that they were gazing at their shoes. The shoegazing sound is typified by significant use of distorted and reverbed guitar effects as well as burried vocal melodies. A common formula of the sound has been noted by the influences of the Noise Pop of JAMC's Psychocandy mixed with the Dream Pop of Cocteau Twins (and other influences such as Space Rock and Indie Pop) to produce a sound that incorporates a wall of distortion but with a dreamy quality. Shoegaze never achieved much popularity or media attention during it's key years and suffered a backlash in 1992 and was quickly overshadowed by Grunge and Britpop's success. Yet it has become a very resilient genre with a whole new batch of devoted fans and several decades of further bands who have both mirrored the classic sounds as well as developing them in new ways.

Full list

Notable Tracks:

My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow from Loveless (1991)

"The album starts off with "Only Shallow," which in my opinion rivals "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as the greatest TRACK ONE of the 90's. From there, the album is filled with murky canyons of singing angels and shrieking devils, twisting their voices over thousands of inversions of slithering chords. The tremolo effect they use always works to greatest (especially on the nasty-posing-as-lovely "To Here Knows When," bending notes from the bottom of a swamp only to bubble up to the surface. I would give you a sample of the lyrics, but I can't, because I can't understand a single word on this album. Kevin Shields production is so immaculately layered that vocals of Bilinda Butcher and himself become the sounds of soft gauze, and the words just become hummable, another wonderful instrument."~yerblues

"I think that ironically shoegaze was killed by MBV Loveless, because it was assumed that shoegaze couldn´t go further than that and in comparison with Loveless the other shoegaze bands seemed tame and timid, and there was a massive backlash against the genre in 1992."~fery

Slowdive - When the Sun Hits from Souvlaki (1993)

One the best albums of the genre and equally involved with Dream Pop.

"The jump-start, up-front swirls of "Alison" kick off what I consider the album that defined a movement - the best and most complete statement made by the shoegazers. Some may stop me there and remind me of Loveless, but I haven't forgotten. In my humble opinion, Souvlaki is the album everyone claims that Loveless is. Souvlaki reads like a photobook, with bits and pieces and snapshots lying out. One of the pitfalls over shoegazing outfits fell into was burying the song underneath the noise. Here, we see very little of that. On the most brilliant point on the album, "When the Sun Hits", they combine every weapon in their arsenal to create the perfect song. While it's a good piece of melody, "When the Sun Hits" pummels its listener with dark, haunting guitars that synchronize and then then dive into all directions. The song is untreated enough not to be overproduced but still leaves the listener wanting more. It's an unrecognized gem in the canon of British underground rock, and it shouldn't be ignored. It's essential to all who love any sort of dreamy music."~sizeofanocean

Check out the full list for a lot more bands, songs, and other side movements. Again Shoegaze is just an amazing small genre with almost religious dedication by it's fans. At the altar is the guitar, the candles are effects pedals, and it's about getting all kinds of amazing shimmering sounds and feedback from it. Beautiful waves of sound and noise. Vocals are NOT the focus and are just another instrument in the mix really. Again the mix is the noise pop of JAMC Psychocandy, dream pop of Cocteau Twins, and a dash of space rock thrown in for seasoning.

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 1

Shoegaze, well then damn, I've only been just getting into the genre, been loving both MBV and Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. Also M83 are a favorite of mine, and yes they count as shoegaze, at least to my knowledge. I just wish that all of the copyrights people would stop messing around with blocking songs from Red Cities, Dead Seas and Lost Ghosts from my country, since that is my favorite album by them. And Slowdrive are alright so far from what I've heard out of them.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Shoegaze, well then damn, I've only been just getting into the genre, been loving both MBV and Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. Also M83 are a favorite of mine, and yes they count as shoegaze, at least to my knowledge. I just wish that all of the copyrights people would stop messing around with blocking songs from Red Cities, Dead Seas and Lost Ghosts from my country, since that is my favorite album by them. And Slowdrive are alright so far from what I've heard out of them.

Oh I agree. I tried to get a link for my friend of Run Into Flowers and there isn't single version besides the remixes or the crappy live recording from cellphones. Just a shame. A lot of m83's tracks get into electronic shoegaze which is pretty awesome.

Might as well link 2 more great tracks as i couldn't before the bump.

Ride- Dreams Burn Down from Nowhere (1990)

"Ride made ‘noise’ palatable to me where JAMC and MBV had failed. Sure I’d kinda liked those other ‘cooler’ bands but I hadn’t loved them. Ride I loved and I wasn’t the only one. They had better tunes, better cheekbones and perfect hair. They were everything I wanted to be and Taste almost broke the Top 10, which back then was quite extraordinary. And while we were still enthralled to Ride, Slowdive overlapped these releases with a clutch of similar yet different EP’s which were just as engaging. Then, Chaperhouse – then, as I remember it – all hell broke loose and there were 1,000′s of bands all trying to do what Ride/Slowdive did."~archivedmusicpress

Catherine Wheel - Black Metallic from Ferment (1992)

One of the few big hits of the genre. Epic. Catherine Wheel continued to dominate the rockier side of the genre.

"At times it tries not to be shoegaze and veers more towards standard rock, but it always comes back to those pedals on the guitars. But in the case of Ferment, Catherine Wheel use the pedals to layer the sound much more around the melody rather than attempting to obscure it. Tracks such as “I Want to Touch You” and “Indigo is Blue” are among those which will slowly but surely drag you into the layers of swirling guitars, which are the hallmark of this album. But in the end, it all comes back to one track. If there is one track which stands head and shoulders above any other produced by any shoegaze band it is “Black Metallic”. A track so sublime that it almost defies description, the hook line is unusually distinctive. Layer upon layer of shimmering guitars reel across the room as the track thunders out power and precision, beauty and seemingly ethereal perfection. If you get the album for no other reason than this, you will have to get it for “Black Metallic” alone."~cherryeater

Edited by Freewave

Oh I agree. I tried to get a link for my friend of Run Into Flowers and there isn't single version besides the remixes or the crappy live recording from cellphones. Just a shame. A lot of m83's tracks get into electronic shoegaze which is pretty awesome.

Run Into Flowers is a good song from that album as well as Unrecorded, America, Be Wild, and Noise. The only problem that I get with M83 is the people who complain about Hurry Up We're Dreaming. It definitely wasn't their greatest album, though neither was it terrible.

Edited by Moog

(edited)

It's a new day, let's do a new genre....

Chillwave

Chillwave (initially known as Glo-Fi) for all intents is a subgenre of Hypnagogic Pop in taking a more direct capture of 80's pop and synthpop by capturing not a current polished sound but a hazier and more lo-fi approach, yet still being upbeat eternal Summer music. In many way Chillwave is a more direct retelling of Keenan's hypnagogic pop article but without the drone, ambient, and psychedelic elements in bands he pointed to and more of the warm memories of lost youth and worshiping of 80's pop culture through viewing old vcr tapes that was mentioned throughout his article. Unlike most of the Hypnagogic Pop initially referenced, it was much less experimental, better production, much more popular, had 80's pop elements (often sampled), and is electronic in nature with synths and beats present. It was also a non-label appraoch to music that gathered much attention. While 2009 was the peak year for Chillwave a new split off of Gothic inspired Chillwave called Witch House has emerged in mid 2010 to become a new variation.

The Full List

Some Highlights:

Memory Cassette - "Surfin'" from Rewind While Sleeping (2008) [EP]

Do you love the ocean?" Memory Cassette asks us in the opening lines of "Surfin'", "Can you see the shore?" These aquatic musings appropriately describe Memory Cassette's sound. Listening to Rewind While Sleeping can be compared to sitting on the beach on a cloudy day, with no one else in sight, and letting the crashing of the waves lull you into a blissful trance. Beautiful, absorbing, and melancholy: Memory Cassette calls these areas of music home. If Rewind While Sleeping is a overcast day spent at the beach, The Hiss We Missed is a ride through the city at night with defenses abandoned, taking in the crisp night air, the mosaic-like-lights, and the atmosphere."jamoftheewitches

Before Memory Casette there was Weird Tapes and then came Memory Tapes next. The most prolific of the Chillwave artists?

While summer, surfing, and the shore are often the most referenced themes of Chillwave they are not specifically essential to the genre (and are in a ton of the themes of the many California based Hypnogogic Pop artists). In fact most of the artists are not located on the west coast but on the southern and east coast with the "mecca" of the movement being in South Carolina (Washed Out and Toro Y Moi being from there).

Washed Out - "Feel It All Around" from Life of Leisure (2009) [EP]

"The single by Washed Out is as good starting point to talk about chillwave as any. Immediately you’ll notice warm 80s synths, blue-eyed soul vocals heavily reverbed, and an electronic, almost hip hop beat. To an extent, this is what chill wave is all about: indie for the beach. The track is hypnotic, almost lazy in its bare bones simplicity, but that is where a lot of the strength of Washed Out comes from; not trying too hard and finding just the right balance of kitsch and nostalgia, both derivative and altogether new."~simple monkey

"More woozy, lo-fi bedroom dance pop from Columbia, South Carolina, courtesy of Ernest Greene, aka Washed Out. Bask in the warm, inviting glow of (possibly borrowed) nostalgia cast by the excellent "Feel it All Around," which somehow manages to feel both distant and fully engaging" gvsb

Can post a few more examples after a reply wink.png

I just love chillwave...

Edited by Freewave

Chillwave? Well this seems quite interesting, I imagine it as something sort of like a collaboration between Depeche Mode and Aphex Twin. I'd check out the examples but my internet connection sucks at the moment, so yeah, I'll probably look more into it when I have the chance to.

(edited)

Well it's a new day..let's wake up, do some acid and rave on the beach...we must be in GOA.

GOA Trance

Goa Trance is a subgenre of trance that originated in Goa, India stemming from the hippie influence. Goa Trance tracks tend to focus on steadily building energy throughout, using changes in percussion patterns and more intricate and layered synth parts as the music progresses in order to build a hypnotic and intense feel (plus some "acid trance" overtones). Goa was actively produced from 1993-1998 after which the sound became psychedelic, morphing into Psychedelic Trance (Psytrance) around the turn of the millenium. Psytrance is much less melodic, has sharper distinct sounds instead of melodies which flow into each other and is darker. Goa Trance is more organic while Psytrance is more mechanical.

Goa is a small (by Indian standards) state halfway down India's western coastline which was a Portugese colony for hundreds of years. The entire scene was managed by foreigners, as you'll find the major Goa artists are from Israel, France, England and Italy. Goa trance enjoyed significant commercial success with support from DJs such as Paul Oakenfold, Sven Väth and Andrew Weatherall, who later went on to assist in developing a much more mainstream style of trance outside Goa. Only a few artists came close to being Goa trance "stars", enjoying worldwide fame.

Full List

Highlights

Juno Reactor - "High Energy Protons" (6:33) from Transmissions (1993)

"Transmissions was one of the first successful (goa) trance albums ever. The only other trance artist in that year that could come to blows with Juno was X-Dream (whom also released their debut album that same year). I haven't had this album since 1993.. heck I was too young to even appreciate music back then, but I can only imagine how massive a CD like this must have been back then. The sci-fi elements must have blown people's minds. The CD seems to carry a theme of space and more in particular, the moon. The voice samples, cover art and track titles do a good job of that. The music itself is a very primitive form of trance, which involves a lot of acid beats. If you're interested in seeing where goa began, a big piece of it is right here in this album."~Reticulum_Flux

"Juno Reactor with the driving force of the musical genius of Ben Watkins were one of the first acts to pave the way for what later became labelled as “Goa” or “Psychedelic” trance. Although this album is considered one of the very first albums of this kind of trance, I frankly say that i.m.h.o. only some tracks on this album can be truly defined as (early) Psy-Goa trance. Most of the tracks here are just trance with a good dose of acidic 303 sound.

The opening track “High Energy Protons” is one of the band’s most famous tracks. If you ask me this is what I consider a definition of (early) Goa-trance. This track doesn’t sound dated, unlike the rest of this album which unfortunately sounds a little too dated penalised maybe by the use of excessive 303."~Josephschembri

Astral Projection - "Mahadeva" from Tantrance: A Trip to Psychedelic Trance (1995)
First part of a 12 Cd Series dedicated to Psytrance

"Mahadeva always was and still is my #1 goa track. It defines the genre for me."~xdryme

"Its hard to describe the way this tune swept away all those who heard in amazement at the time. Turning many new ears onto the Goa scene, The opening pounding bass line and vocal chant turned parties into wide eyed, wide smiling euphoria. Still sounds better than anything that has come since in my opinion, and heard under the starts in Anjuna, totally unforgetable and unbeatable piece of sonic magic."~jet_jaguar

"The Original version is without one of the all time greatest psy-trancers. It's one of those records that simply demands that you take to the dance floor."~Universe

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 1

Well might as well cover Shoegaze while we're slightly on-topic. I'm not a metal head but would be glad to link and present any of the box sets as they are requested.

Shoegaze

Shoegaze is a subgenre of alternative rock that emerged from the United Kingdom in the late 1980s. As part of an original scene it lasted until the mid 1990s with a critical zenith reached in 1990 and 1991. The British music press—particularly NME and Melody Maker—named this style Shoegazing (although Melody Maker also termed it "the scene that celebrates itself") because the musicians in these bands maintained a motionless persona during live performances, standing on stage while concentrating at their effects pedals or the floor; hence the idea that they were gazing at their shoes. The shoegazing sound is typified by significant use of distorted and reverbed guitar effects as well as burried vocal melodies. A common formula of the sound has been noted by the influences of the Noise Pop of JAMC's Psychocandy mixed with the Dream Pop of Cocteau Twins (and other influences such as Space Rock and Indie Pop) to produce a sound that incorporates a wall of distortion but with a dreamy quality. Shoegaze never achieved much popularity or media attention during it's key years and suffered a backlash in 1992 and was quickly overshadowed by Grunge and Britpop's success. Yet it has become a very resilient genre with a whole new batch of devoted fans and several decades of further bands who have both mirrored the classic sounds as well as developing them in new ways.

Full list

Notable Tracks:

My Bloody Valentine - Only Shallow from Loveless (1991)

"The album starts off with "Only Shallow," which in my opinion rivals "Smells Like Teen Spirit" as the greatest TRACK ONE of the 90's. From there, the album is filled with murky canyons of singing angels and shrieking devils, twisting their voices over thousands of inversions of slithering chords. The tremolo effect they use always works to greatest (especially on the nasty-posing-as-lovely "To Here Knows When," bending notes from the bottom of a swamp only to bubble up to the surface. I would give you a sample of the lyrics, but I can't, because I can't understand a single word on this album. Kevin Shields production is so immaculately layered that vocals of Bilinda Butcher and himself become the sounds of soft gauze, and the words just become hummable, another wonderful instrument."~yerblues

"I think that ironically shoegaze was killed by MBV Loveless, because it was assumed that shoegaze couldn´t go further than that and in comparison with Loveless the other shoegaze bands seemed tame and timid, and there was a massive backlash against the genre in 1992."~fery

Slowdive - When the Sun Hits from Souvlaki (1993)

One the best albums of the genre and equally involved with Dream Pop.

"The jump-start, up-front swirls of "Alison" kick off what I consider the album that defined a movement - the best and most complete statement made by the shoegazers. Some may stop me there and remind me of Loveless, but I haven't forgotten. In my humble opinion, Souvlaki is the album everyone claims that Loveless is. Souvlaki reads like a photobook, with bits and pieces and snapshots lying out. One of the pitfalls over shoegazing outfits fell into was burying the song underneath the noise. Here, we see very little of that. On the most brilliant point on the album, "When the Sun Hits", they combine every weapon in their arsenal to create the perfect song. While it's a good piece of melody, "When the Sun Hits" pummels its listener with dark, haunting guitars that synchronize and then then dive into all directions. The song is untreated enough not to be overproduced but still leaves the listener wanting more. It's an unrecognized gem in the canon of British underground rock, and it shouldn't be ignored. It's essential to all who love any sort of dreamy music."~sizeofanocean

Check out the full list for a lot more bands, songs, and other side movements. Again Shoegaze is just an amazing small genre with almost religious dedication by it's fans. At the altar is the guitar, the candles are effects pedals, and it's about getting all kinds of amazing shimmering sounds and feedback from it. Beautiful waves of sound and noise. Vocals are NOT the focus and are just another instrument in the mix really. Again the mix is the noise pop of JAMC Psychocandy, dream pop of Cocteau Twins, and a dash of space rock thrown in for seasoning.

Are you just copypasta-ing from MLR? Is that thread even still going on? It's been forever since I checked it. I'm guessing it probably died. 

Actually i am currently copypasta-ing sections of that thread currently (was hoping to import over some of the same discussions), wasn't aware of too many members being on both forums...do you think i should revivie the old mlr thread? I sometimes got comments on there but i got kind of tired of posting there and not seeing many replies or interest which was part of the point (to facilitate discussion and get people excite). I'll bump it and see if there's interest in new posts.

(edited)

New set.

Glitch Hop (or at least how Glitch Hop started out)

Glitch Hop is the direct combination of Glitch and Hip Hop. Stylistically, it often combines cut-up rapping with Hip Hop drum breaks, the latter of which are often edited to sound stuttering and damaged, staying true to the sound of Glitch. Prefuse 73 can be seen as the father of the genre although quite a few artists have emerged over the past decade within the genre and with similar and variant versions of the style. In many cases it can be seen as hip hop based IDM as well, music heavy with bass and rich in provocative melodic contortions, chopped up samples and combinations of ancient drum beats and futuristic sounds and with or without lyrics (often lacking them for the most part).

Glitch Hop by nature can crossover into the more recent genre known as Wonky which is a newer term for the fusing of Glitch Hop and often crossing over with Dubstep into an off-step style through off-kilter synths and loose time signatures. While incredibly similar, Glitch Hop at its core is a little more composed and clinical portraying of Glitch in its downtempo and beat driven form.

List

Notable examples:

Prefuse 73 - "Life / Death" from Vocal Studies + Uprock Narratives (2001)"

"Word has it that there's a white guy in Atlanta out to destroy hip hop. Guillermo Scott Herren, known on other projects as Delarosa and Asora and a variety of aliases, is certainly a threat to something -- most likely the Hollywood slick 'n' simple bling-bling. With Herren's innovations absorbed into the cultural mix, that shit is going to sound as outdated as El Debarge. Prefuse 73 (code name for jazz fusion pre-1973), stomps all over the sanctity of the rapper by taking the raps of Rec Center and Dose One, systematically destroying them and rebuilding them as staccato frankensteins, skittering about the track like free radicals. The instrumental stuff is treated in a similar way, with beats and samples fuse with static and snippets of the jazz fusion that Herren prefers. The scratching is done electronically rather than with turntables. Traditional MCs might protest, but hey, this is on the Warp label after all. In breaking down hip hop and building it back up into a shinier beast, Scott Herren has single-handedly played a vital role in rejuvenating hip hop. "~fastnbulbous

edIT - "Ants" from Crying Over Pros for No Reason (2004)

"Reinvented not long ago by Scott Herren (aka Profuse 73), the acoustic guitar seductively basting the instrumental hip-hop sequences is not only what makes Los Angeles’ Edward Ma (aka edIT), but also its calm, slower comprehending, and better interpretation of these sequences. The sound is a familiar blend of acoustic constructions developed with electronic means, but the delivery stands out for its intricacy and warmth in both the toxic beats and the emotional melodies. With such beautiful and delicate glitchified sounds like a robotic insect, the Brazillian’s debut, Crying over Pros for No Reason is a stand-out for its technological music scissoring through the math of sound.

The drum samples and edits on the album are very machinelike, but they flow effortlessly with the soulful melodies and washes. Each track has just the right element of jazz and folk, never becoming overbearing taking cues from Profuse 73 to another level. In Crying over Pros for No Reason, each song feels complete, and while some albums rely on their tracks to build off each other, these ten pieces can solidly stand on their own. Crying over Pros for No Reason is emotional—instrumental experimental hip-hop at its finest."~outof_nowhere

or get the

. Edited by Freewave

(edited)

Well let's get Glitch done now while on a similar topic and then i can move onto other stuff next week....

"As computer-aided composition slowly eclipsed the traditional analog approach to crafting electronica, the palette of possible sounds soon widened immensely, resulting in the advent of the glitch style in the late '90s. No longer was the artist confined to sequenced percussion, synth, and samples, but rather any imaginable sound, including the uncanny realm of digital glitches, pops, and crackles. This tight-knit scene of experimental artists creating cerebral hybrids of experimental techno, minimalism, digital collage, and noise glitches. Though artists such as Oval, Pole, and Vladislav Delay, among others, had initially been singled out by critics beforehand, Mille Plateaux's epic Clicks_+_Cuts compilation first defined the underground movement, exploring not only a broad roster of artists but also a wide scope of approaches."

Full List

Notable examples:

Ryoji Ikeda "+." +/- (1996)"

One of the first artists to gain exposure for his stark, "bleepy" soundscapes. Ikeda brought a serene quality of spirituality to glitch music. One of the first glitch releases to break new ground in the delicate use of high frequencies and short sounds that stab at user's ears." TAoFGM

I don't have this track so enjoy a video/audio installation thats 20% cooler by him:

Fennesz - "A Year in a Moment" from Endless Summer (2001)

"With a title and cover artwork so obviously referring to the Beach Boys, one had to anticipate that this 2001 full-length CD by Fennesz would be more melodious than usual. It is, but you'll only get as close to surf music as the imagination of an experimental electronica artist from Vienna, Austria, will allow you to. Fennesz puts the emphasis on sunny melodies and a somewhat lighter atmosphere, but drowns them in glitch textures. The result strikes and disconcerts."~AMG

Edited by Freewave

(edited)
don't wanna forget about this thread

Minimal / Microhouse

While the genre's official start was 1999, the term "Microhouse" was coined in a 2001 article in The Wire by writer and DJ Philip Sherburne, Microhouse was a term used to categorize dozens of largely German producers whose approach to house music emphasized subtleties and space as much as deep house producers relied on anthemic hooks and emphatic vocals. Even so, Microhouse productions found a meeting point between deep house and minimal techno. However the overly stripped "minimal techno" of the 90's has little relation to the dense polyrhythmic melodic collages often coming out today. Glitch techno is a large part of some Microhouse tracks and Neo-Trance is the equivalent of Microhouse but mixed with more of a traditional Trance style and enjoyable by both parties. Many people have begun to step back from Microhouse as a label and use Minimal as genre descripter and a larger umbrella term for this type of music of the last 10 years.

Minimal did not begin to rapidly build in popularity until the early and mid 2000s (with its peak being in 2005 and 2006) with the advent of record labels such as Kompakt, Perlon, Spectral Sound, Fabric, Telegraph and Force Inc (many specializing only on Microhouse and Minimal music). Minimal can be seen as a rejection of the over-commercialization of Electronica and Dance music in the late 90's, a blend of former styles that created something fresh and new for the 2000's, and of making music that was danceable and yet "intelligent" and playable outside of clubs.

Full List

Highlights

Âme - "Rej" from Rej EP (2005) [EP]

"Here's proof that trance is back and doing everything it used to do back in 1997. No coincedence that it's 2007 and doing the same thing (retro trends and all that, although the big revival won't be for another 10). Either way, this song is brilliant. It's like a Dracula fever dream, or a dark, twisted circus, or an abandoned vampire-infested castle. Regardless, you'll think of vampires and evil in some respect, but it's lovely in a gothic sort of way. Plus I've never seen anything fill a floor like Rej does. Never. And it grows on you: WAY too much. I had this thing stuck in my head for 3 weeks at one point, and I once listened to it 7 times in a row (after having it for almost a year and a half)."~darktremor

The Field - "Over The Ice" from Sun & Ice (2006) [EP]"

Minimalism tends to work in deep code, with referential gestures that cater to initiates on a very "head" level, but the Field imbues it with huge, rushing feeling."~Pitchfork

"Nother one for the tranceheads. Bah, minimal. What were they thinking? The title says it all. Imagine yourself crossing an enormous glacier under a star-packed sky in the middle of the night."~darktremor

Edited by Freewave

(edited)

Going a bit more song-based. Let's do Britpop!!

"Britpop is a subgenre of alternative rock that originated in the United Kingdom. Britpop emerged from the British independent music scene of the early 1990s and was characterised by bands influenced by British guitar pop music of the 1960s and 1970s. The movement developed as a reaction against various musical and cultural trends in the late 1980s and early 1990s, particularly the grunge phenomenon from the United States. In the wake of the musical invasion into the United Kingdom of American grunge bands (in particular Nirvana), new British groups such as Suede and Blur launched the movement by positioning themselves as opposing musical forces, referencing British guitar music of the past and writing about uniquely British topics and concerns. These band were soon joined by others including Oasis, Pulp, Supergrass and Elastica."

Some big tracks!! (wish i could do more that 2 ata time sad.png )

Blur - Parklife (1994)

Of course the other main competitor to Oasis was Blur's great input. While not as heavy as Oasis they were just as important to the sound (bringing a little more Beatle-esque pop and variety). Parklife luckily saved what was then a career in peril. Although many people consider 1992's "Popscene" one of the key of the earliest Britpop singles, it was their third album that they truly found their sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIEsmGzo2UE

Pulp - Common People (1995)

Of course Pulp was one of the 3 keys bands of Britpop besides Oasis and Blur although they had been around for nearly a decade. Their witty lyrics and their domination of the pop sound made them hard to ignore and likely the best song writers of the period. This is not only their best song but one of the best of the 90's, period.

Loved it, some great music from this period. 

Edited by Freewave