Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you feel self-conscious showing people your sketchbook?

Hazel-Beam

I carry my sketchbook around with me when I'm travelling, and whenever my friends see me drawing in it, they ask if they can look through it. Which is fine...sort of. Half of my sketchbook is full of ponies, and the other half, I'm not always sure I want people to see, either. It's not that I draw weird stuff - just that my sketchbook is almost like my journal. I express myself in it, and I'm always worried that people will judge me based on my art when they're looking through it.

Does anyone else get this feeling?

(Mods, feel free to move this topic. I wasn't sure where ti put it.)

• Brohoof 6

You know what I actually am kind of self conscious about people seeing it. Most of the time my sketches are unfinished and eugh while there's a few I like in there there's also the kind of ugly sketches, not to mention this one time my nephew opened it up and saw a sketch I did of a nude model...

I guess in my case it's also the stupid don't judge me thing, but unlike your case where you draw what you feel in my case it's "oh god don't judge me based on this weird ass drawing of Bill Clinton fist fighting Satan" or in the case of my brother "don't judge me off of this drawing of Fluttershy and Sonic beating each other up"

• Brohoof 2

Y

I guess in my case it's also the stupid don't judge me thing, but unlike your case where you draw what you feel in my case it's "oh god don't judge me based on this weird ass drawing of Bill Clinton fist fighting Satan" 

I think the internet code of conduct says somewhere you're not allowed to mention such a drawing without explaining the story behind it.

• Brohoof 1

I do have a couple of friends who share the same feelings as you.

When I ask to see their art, I tend to be supportive, no matter what it is like ponies or celebrities.

My advice, just keep doing your work, at least you have skills to draw many ideas.wink.png

I have the same problem. Whenever my friends ask if they can look at my sketches I usually deny them, due to the fact that half of it is ponies, and then the other half is more of my personal side. I sketch how I feel. If I'm depressed, I'll draw a depressed scene, like myself standing...alone...in the rain.

If I'm happy I'll draw flowers, ponies, people or myself.

Im a bit self conscious of showing people anything I draw.  Or at least I used to be.  I'm a bit better now, actually a lot of the time I just let them look even if I would rather them not just to see how they're going to respond lol

This really depends on who is looking in my sketchbook. If one of my best friends is looking, I generally don't care. But when someone I don't know that well looks at it, I tend to become jumpy and self-conscious. Also, basically everything I draw in my notebooks are ponies, because that is like the ONLY thing I can draw well. So I feel weird if someone who doesn't really like ponies looks in my notebook, even if they are one of my best friends. It all depends on certain things. ;)

Edited by TheSupremeLeaderOfChaos

Yes! Very much so.

When people ask me if I like to draw, for example, and I say yes, they ask me what I like to draw and I'm stuck. The three things I like to draw are dragons, pokemon and ponies, and none of those are really acceptable for others, since I'm a teenage girl. :P

I don't carry around my sketchbook to many places, but if one of my friends comes over to my place, I always hide it somewhere in my closet so they won't see my drawings. Sad, I know. :P

• 8 years later...

It depends on who it is. Most of my drawings are of dinosaurs and my close family know that I like dinosaurs anyway so I don't mind them looking at those. They also know that I like ponies so it wouldn't be a problem if they saw my pony drawings. However, if someone who didn't know that I like MLP beforehand looked at them, they probably would be confused so I wouldn't go out of my way to show them pony drawings.

• Brohoof 1

• 7 months later...

*nervously sweats*

I don’t typically show off my sketches unless I feel the need too. There isn’t inherently anything bad in there besides a few dark themes made for stories. I do have some personal/vent drawings though that I don’t want anyone to see because they’re for me only to represent whatever feeling I was having at the time.

• Brohoof 1