Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Do You Live For?

Aureity

Live to win! 'til you die! 'til the light dies in your eyes!

Live to win! 'take it all! Just keep fighting 'til you fall!

And such. :)

Edited by Sweetie Belle

Happiness. That's all I can say for now.

Not just for me but for my family, friends and everyone else in the world.

I don't know what I can do to get the most happiness out of life long-term but hopefully I'll find out soon!

To be honest I don't value my life that highly. I would die to save the life of, well, anyone really. Part of me hopes I get that opportunity, to give someone an entire lifetime worth of happiness. That would be something to have lived for.

The answer is simple, son.

FORTY-TWO.

Thinking realistically now, I live for living. You live life to its fullest, and you make the best of everything, because this day on the Earth might be your last. Read my signature if you want to see my answer to this topic. ;) Also,

I have no idea how to post a video directly, so yeah...if it appears as a link, click it, if a video, watch it. :)

I live to become the very best I can be, and realize my full potential beyond my anxiety and general misery. To overcome my emotional issues, and come out a wondrous and well-adjusted person I know I can be. Right now, I'm still evolving and still changing. I live to reach the pot of gold at the end of my own personal quest for self-improvement. I live so that I can look at myself, and say: "I love myself, I'm a good person, and I'm doing the best I can." And everyone else can look at me too, and be proud. I live to prove it to myself and to them. To prove that I am more than I appear, and I can capable of great things.

I live for a smile, for the gentle feeling of happiness that sweeps my heart whenever something good happens. No matter how little it is. I live for every emotion I feel. Sadness, fear, anger, happiness, tears... I am enthralled by them.

I live to live, and I live to experience. That is all.

I don't really want to die, despite my past history of suicide attempts and suicidal thoughts due to crippling depression brought on by Borderline Personality Disorder?

I have no idea, to be perfectly honest. I've never really had any hopes or dreams of any real note. Oh, some generic ideas about being happy, finding love maybe, or just enjoying some of the things I enjoy, but nothing substantial that I can think of. I mean, I suppose I am curious as to just how far and fast technology will develop...I like the idea of finding out whether we as a species will succeed in making a mark on the galaxy, or whether we'll destroy ourselves...and I do enjoy helping others when I can, making them happy and so on.

But it's not as if I'm setting out for an important career or a lifelong goal or dream. I don't even know what I want to do with my life. The program I'm in at college is nothing more than a quick way for me to get a stable, reliable job that can get me out of my parent's house and living on my own so I can be fully independent. Whether I want to make a twenty, thirty, forty year career out of working in the field or not, I frankly have no clue. Personally I'd prefer to be a full time student on a regular basis, studying all kinds of different subjects, but that's not exactly doable without some sort of real, quality income. (Or winning the lottery. Pfah.)

As someone who doesn't believe in any sort of afterlife, I feel we cease to exist when we die. So while my life has been rather painful on an emotional level, and there are plenty of times where I've been driven to suicidal attempts over just how hard it is to deal with, I think it's safe to say I don't actually want to die or anything. I do want to live...but the real question is: am I really living, the way I am now? Or do I merely exist, drifting along in a pointlessly short life that will have no effect on anything? Does it even matter if I have an effect on anything? Does ANYTHING matter at all?

These are questions I still can't answer and probably never will be able to.

I don't know of any disorders in myself, but I've been going through a little bit of an existential crisis recently, wondering something along the same lines; what the heck is the point to everything?

For a long time I've been big on dreams for the future, but recently those have started to seem just as pointless, in fact it seemed nothing had any point at all.

Okay, be forewarned, there's religion ahead, but after I get done mentioning that it leads to something great and unrelated to religion, so just keep reading.

Anyways, I've always felt that there is some purpose to life, the universe, and everything. I mean, the very foundation of science was that idea, "why?", it was the idea that things happen for a reason, that there are laws fundamental to the universe, and that we can learn those laws, by using the scientific method.

The most fundamental principle in science is that things happen for a reason.

(And it's for this reason that I don't agree with the materialist idea that the universe simply is and has no reason form or purpose.)

So I believe I'm alive for a reason, whatever it may be, and I feel like until I die that reason isn't complete. Call it fate, if you want.

So, I also have a very close relationship to God, and I believe I know what's right, that I should work hard and everything... And just earlier today, I was so fed up with "why?" to life, how everything seemed pointless, that I just kinda thought: "Heck with it. I give up. All I know is I'm supposed to do this work in front of me, so I'll do it." and I really honestly didn't care about anything anymore, except I was going to do what was right, what my heavenly father wanted me to do, I was going to keep working.

Then something odd happened. I really didn't care about all the "why's", and "what's the purpose of life?" stuff. I just enjoyed it. I just enjoyed, being alive. I stopped worrying, and trying to find a reason for every moment, a reason to do whatever with my life, and I just enjoyed the moment. I didn't like the work I was doing, but I had already decided I was going to do it, so I just did it, no second thoughts, and I enjoyed being alive and doing it.

I dunno, really, what happened, it's like my perspective on everything just suddenly changed. Each moment, each breath, each and every experience down to the tiniest moment, now seems like a priveledge.

I mean, it's a huge world out there, with so much stuff, more than I could possibly imagine doing, seeing, feeling, learning, experiencing. It's like life itself is exciting.

And I mean, just think about it, we're using computers performing billions of calculations per second transmitting data across the world because of electronic interactions on microscopic chips, we're unlocking the key fundamentals of the universe in string theory, and yet we still can't explain consciousness, or fill that mind-brain gap, that gap in-between material, tangible reality and experience.

Just, the ability to experience, then, must be the most amazing, unexplicable thing in the universe. Asking why to life, now seems to me, liking someone asking why they just got a billion dollars, and complaining that they can't figure out the purpose of the billions of dollars. But it's even more than that, because not only is it absolutely amazing, but it's also a total mystery.

So, I guess I mean to say I've recently been convinced that life is the purpose of life, and that experience itself is really an extraordinary priveledge.

I mean, look at how small children or animals can just play and have fun. They don't worry about why they're alive, they're just glad to be alive and soak in every moment of it. Children, especially, I think they appreciate life a lot more because they haven't had it as long. But as we get old, we seem to forget what a priveledge it is to be alive, and we stop appreciating what a wonderful thing it is.

-added

Hah, call it a Rainbow Dash philosophy, but I think one of the things that makes the character so lovable, is that she (at least appears to) just enjoys life and what it has to offer. Just loves the experience of living. And it is a priveledge, we live in a day, age and place in history absolutely unprecedented at any other time or place in human civilization for freedom and opportunity. There's no class system, there's freedom of speech and thought, freedom to pursue any career or education...

But no, the biggest thing of all, is just taking each and every moment, and enjoying it.

Just to stop worrying about "why am I alive?", forget that, and just make the most out of life.

Don't let the past rob the present or future.

Don't let the present rob the future.

And don't let the future rob the present.

The mission, ultimately, I guess, is to enjoy every moment in a way that makes the future only better.

Even if that means doing work which isn't enjoyable in the present at all :P

Just savour every moment for the precious, fragile gift it is (after all, at any time, you could get invited to go have some cupcakes xD ), in a way that preserves or improves the future.

I think I just used to worry so much about the future, I didn't let myself enjoy the present.

But also be warned not to forget about the future. Just don't worry about it so much you lose the present. It's a present, after all.

Edited by EASA - Dr. Braun
  • Brohoof 1

I live life because it's an opportunity.

As Mother Teresa once said:

“Life is an opportunity, benefit from it. Life is a beauty, admire it. Life is a dream, realize it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a duty, complete it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a promise, fulfill it. Life is sorrow, overcome it. Life is a song, sing it. Life is a struggle, accept it. Life is a tragedy, confront it. Life is an adventure, dare it. Life is luck, make it. Life is life, fight for it!”

And tasty food. Nothing beats eating tasty food.

• Brohoof 1

I was thinking about this for quite some time now... My goal in life is to help people, give them support and tips, to make theyr lifes better, to make them happy because I don't want to see them suffer like I do or make mistakes that I did. I love to give but I don't like to receive.

OH, I almost forgot, I live for my future red fox too. xP

I live life because it's an opportunity.

As Mother Teresa once said:

“Life is an opportunity, benefit from it. Life is a beauty, admire it. Life is a dream, realize it. Life is a challenge, meet it. Life is a duty, complete it. Life is a game, play it. Life is a promise, fulfill it. Life is sorrow, overcome it. Life is a song, sing it. Life is a struggle, accept it. Life is a tragedy, confront it. Life is an adventure, dare it. Life is luck, make it. Life is life, fight for it!”

And tasty food. Nothing beats eating tasty food.

This. I live life to do what I like (whatever it may be at the time). Can't do much if you're dead.

• 1 month later...

Mentally I died a long time ago.

Physically I'm alive just to wear a mask that no one can see through.

They won't have to worry, nor miss me.

Still.. I do have a secret hope that something will change that someday.

Edited by TheBrokenToast