Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

But, why call her "Twilicorn"?

MJNSEIFER

Yeah, I get that it's a portmanteau of Twilight and Alicorn, but it makes no sense to me.  Twilight was a unicorn originally, and the "-icorn" part is in unicorn as well, so it could easily refer to unicorn Twilight.

If she has to have nickname, it should be "Alitwi" or something, not Twilicorn (but ultimately they all sound bad to me.)

• Brohoof 7

Well, when you put it that way it does kind of seem like it could also be referring to the unicorn version, but there aren't many better names.  Actually, AliTwi sounds rather fitting in my opinion, but I was never good with names.  

• Brohoof 1

It's the "Twili" part. It sounds really cute. You've gotta lead with "Twili" `cuz the cuteness factor grabs you by the neck, shakes you until stop fighting, and then stabs the jugular for the kill.

(Sorry - I've been watching Animal Planet this morning.)

• Brohoof 14

I guess people wanted to merge her cute nickname ''Twili'' with the prefix -unicorn. But, when she became an alicorn they had an idea to put the corn and twili part together to get the name ''Twilicorn''.

• Brohoof 2

It just kinda happened. I can't think of anything else that sounds as good, especially when you say it aloud.
People wanted a way to differentiate between Twilight and her Alicorn status, and this was just the term that came to be. Try saying it aloud, too. Twilicorn rolls so smoothly off the tongue - much more than AliTwi does.

• Brohoof 2

Nah, how about we just call her Sparklecorn? I think that is MUCH more better!

I think it's due to what appears, and feels to roll off the tongue more.

Just call her Princess! :) I have no problem with that nickname except that it came out of this crazy dislike of what happend in MMC. It's become a contaminated name to me as a result. I'd rather just use her name with or without princess.

Edited by Nature Spell
  • Brohoof 1

Its main purpose was to differentiate alicorn Twilight from unicorn Twilight. Even though "icorn" is part of both unicorn and alicorn, there wasn't much reason to refer to unicorn Twilight as anything special since alicorn Twilight was the focus of every conversation. So Twilight land forme was treated simply as Twilight and alicorn Twilight was Twilicorn.

At least, that's my best guess at an explanation for it. derpy_emoticon1.png

• Brohoof 1

I agree and disagree. I think Alitwi sounds better than Twilicorn for that sense, but I also think: Why the nicknames? I still call her Twilight virtually *all* the time.

Eh idk people just kinda started using it and next thing you know its basically how shes refereed to.

I suppose people already know normal Twilight is a Unicorn, so its implied  and Alicorn can't be shortened into a nickname to fit with her name very well so they just call her Twilicorn as a cute little nickname.

Some people still just call her Twilight or Princess Twilight or something. Theres no rule really :P.

It is not Twili + corn

It's Twi + licorn 

I don't see anything wrong with it, honestly. I mean, people can call her whatever they want. >_>

• Brohoof 8

I don't see anything wrong with it, honestly. I mean, people can call her whatever they want. dry.png

Ooh, ooh! So that means we can call her meatball? Or Albuquerque? Or even hot chili sauce?

In all seriousness, though, it's just a name, an identity. There isn't an official name for her (yet?), so she can practically go by anything at this point. It's just there are names that are more socially- and/or widely-accepted than others. As for "Twilicorn", people use it because it's easy, memorable and convenient. And in any case, I would say that it's not really worth questioning the fact that some, err, most people use a certain name to refer to her as.

• Brohoof 3

Yeah, I get that it's a portmanteau of Twilight and Alicorn, but it makes no sense to me.  Twilight was a unicorn originally, and the "-icorn" part is in unicorn as well, so it could easily refer to unicorn Twilight.

If she has to have nickname, it should be "Alitwi" or something, not Twilicorn (but ultimately they all sound bad to me.)

Except it's not the "icorn" part, but rather the "licorn" that comes from Alicorn.  After all, her name isn't "Twil-ight", it's "Twi-light"

Twi-light + a-licorn = Twilicorn

"Alitwi" just comes across as awkward.

And we're also not really calling *her* Twilicorn.  Twilicorn is really just a portmanteau name for the *concept* of Alicorn Twilight. 

Edited by hawkflame
  • Brohoof 3

It's a name that just kind of stuck, I guess. You could say 'Princess Twi' or 'Ali Twi' but for some reason 'Twilicorn' just became the staple term. Sometimes, things get their names just because they get named as such and the idea spreads. The word 'tank' to refer to the military vehicle started because they were hidden in containers marked up as 'water tank'. So they called it a tank, and that's just how it ended up as.

Despite it being the same character just with added wings, the distinction arises because she now represents a different type of character. (i.e. from student to princess) In fan works, the distinction lets people know which era they are referring to. In fanfiction especially, Twilight being a  unicorn/alicorn can make a massive change, and in the vast majority of fanfiction where Twilight is an alicorn, her princess-hood is a main focus. This is also why there are now 2 Twilight tags on fimfiction.net (Twilight and Twilicorn) because certain ideas might only work with Twi as a unicorn/student.

• Brohoof 1

She isn't AliTwi, she isn't Twilicorn...

SHE'S PRINCESS TWILIGHT SPARKLE. Honestly, these names are stupid, there is no need for them.

• Brohoof 1

I see the name as:

Twili-corn

Because it's the 'Twili' in Twilight that sounds cute and adorable, rather than something like 'Twilightcorn' or something xP I could go along with AliTwi if that's what some people would like that better but right now I think mostly everyone is more used to saying 'Twilicorn'

I just call her Twilight Sparkle. It's not like her name changed when she became a princess. (Maybe Princess Twilight Sparkle, but that's just a title, one I thin she would be okay without in her name.)

Like before, just easier to say and summarized the enitre controversy behind the Alicorn Twight Sparkle situation. Kinda of like how we give nicknames to everything it seems somtimes.