Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

But, why call her "Twilicorn"?

MJNSEIFER

Having her change into a princess was bad enough. The way I see it, calling her Twilicorn is just rubbing salt into my wound.

I'll admit I don't like the transformation. PLEASE don't be mad at me though, this is just my opinion and it's not better than anyone else's.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually consider Twilight and Twilicorn to be completely different ponies with different appearance, social status and personality. It looks to me as if Twilight Sparkle was killed off to be replaced with a new pony.

If there was no fandom, it would be easy to wait for Season 4 to find out whether or not the worries are justified but the fandom can't wait and people are already excited about Twilicorn and they come up with stories which explore Twilicorn's duties and personality. Meanwhile Twilight is gradually being wiped out from the existence.

After Derpygate, people were concern about Derpy being wiped out and that the consensus would be that she was offensive and people should never mention her again but in the end Derpy lived on in the fandom and she is loved by everyone.

Looking at the Twilight/Twilicorn ratio trend in fanon, I'm afraid no one will remember Twilight by the time Season 4 starts. People seem to agreed that becoming a princess(celerity/boss) should be everyone's goal and it's more important than being someone who has a very focused talent in a specific filed of knowledge.

I agree with the original poster with the whole name deal. I swear everyone keeps on coming up with these stupid names for Twilight and it sometimes drives me nuts. I like how she is an alicorn now but her name is still Twilight Sparkle so that's what I will still call her. :3

Actually, this occurred to me randomly one day, but I didn't really think much of it. A lot of people already jumped in to explain how the name was thought of- but it is kind of a 'hang on, what?' sort of thing.

(edited)

I see how Alicorn and Unicorn both ending with -corn could be problematic, but I think the point is that Twili- sounds similar to Ali-. Also, it's not supposed to be her name, it's supposed to refer to the fact that Twilight is an Alicorn. When someone says, "What do you think about Twilicorn?" He's not asking what you think about Twilight, he's asking what you think about the fact that Twilight is now an Alicorn.

Edited by Sky Chaser
  • Brohoof 1

Actually, this occurred to me randomly one day, but I didn't really think much of it. A lot of people already jumped in to explain how the name was thought of- but it is kind of a 'hang on, what?' sort of thing.

Yeah, language has always been kinda funny that way. Have you ever wondered why noses run and feet smell? I don't know who came up with it, but the expressions are here to stay. 

Alicorn Princess Twilight Sparkle... way too long. Everypony simply knows what you mean, when you say Twilicorn. I still prefer Twilight. Just Twilight. I bet, when season four aired and we all wait for season five, all fanart, from pictures over plushies to fics, will consider her as alicorn anyway. Just ignore the term then... It's just a fad.

Yeah, language has always been kinda funny that way. Have you ever wondered why noses run and feet smell? I don't know who came up with it, but the expressions are here to stay. 

Hell, why do people drive on a parkway and park on a driveway? 

Anyway, the word Twilicorn is just a portmanteau for convenience.  It just rolls off the tongue more easily.  I mean, which term is more comfortable to use- "Wiki encyclopedia," or Wikipedia? 

• Brohoof 2

Hell, why do people drive on a parkway and park on a driveway? 

You just blew my mind, congratulations, good sir.

You may now receive the internets. Well done, well done.

I am now going to sit in a corner and ponder.

ALITWI - PRINCESS OF THE ALLIANCE! You damned Horde bastards will tremble at Twilight's newfound power. Oh dayum if ponies were a WoW race I would start playing like old times, and never stop. O_o;

We don't have to add -icorn or -licorn to her name previously because we already knew her as Twilight Sparkle, the purple unicorn. Naming her Twilicorn back then was redundant because everyone already knew about whom you were talking just by saying Twilight.

The name "Twilicorn" was given to alicorn Twilight even before the episode was aired. When we got that picture with alicorn Twilight that's when she got her name. And it's also easier what term means what. Thus the name Twilicorn was born, you immediatly get what others are referring to, which makes sense during the confusion before we were 100% sure Twi would actually become an alicorn.

Now that she's an alicorn the term Twilicorn doesn't have a lot of usage anymore. But sometimes it's easier to seperate two different forms of one person with a simple name like this. 

• 7 years later...

Most nicknames are created by the 4chan nuts, if I am not mistaken?

Why give her a name like that? To make it more upsetting. I still call her Princess Twilight Sparkle because we need to be formal with Princesses and say their titles.

1 hour ago, Splashee said:

Most nicknames are created by the 4chan nuts, if I am not mistaken?

Possibly. It could also be a homage to the "Fausticorn"

340?cb=20120504011753

1 hour ago, Splashee said:

Why give her a name like that? To make it more upsetting. I still call her Princess Twilight Sparkle because we need to be formal with Princesses and say their titles.

I think she looks a lot more regal now she has reached her final form, wavy hair and all :)

2 hours ago, CypherHoof 🐎 said:

Possibly. It could also be a homage to the "Fausticorn"

340?cb=20120504011753

I think she looks a lot more regal now she has reached her final form, wavy hair and all :)

Some people didn't like her new look. People really find things to complain about when there are changes!

7 minutes ago, Splashee said:

Some people didn't like her new look. People really find things to complain about when there are changes!

True enough, but what is canon is canon - I personally think that the shortfall in S3 and rush to make her a princess was inappropriate, and the premise (that she earned her wings by fixing a broken spell she herself messed up) laughable. We all know that was a commerical thing - Hasbro was planning on wrapping the series at the minimum syndication length, which S3 met.

But equally, she was placed on the Princess path by Celestia, and at each stage, she had satisfied her mentor's expectations. It was celestia's priviledge and right to elevate her pupil, as she had earlier elevated Cadance, and in the context of the show, only she can decide a given pony is worthy and prepared for it.  So I can accept that is just how it is, and that it was a necessary (if rushed) step to the final goal of Celestia training her successor.

All the rest of it I love - I love the castle and the plot device of the map quests; I love starlight, and the young six; I love the new character races, and only regret that we won't get to see the kirin integrated into equestrian society (as their presence at the school in the  finale hints at). And I love Twilight in her final, celestia-sized form.  If the story had taken a different path, or had continued past S9, I would probably have loved that too - it is all relative, and I can only thank Fausticorn and HER successors for the gift of Pony.