Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How many ATHEIST bronies out there?

(edited)

Most of the time religion has nothing to do with modern wars. Pretty sure WWI started because all the European powers created alliances and a duke got assassinated, not because people were Christian. And Hitler? What? How does Nazis have anything to do with religion? They came to power because people were dirt poor and Germany was in an economic crisis while the UK and France were beating it while it was down, and they believed Hitler would help them regain Germany's former glory (and blame the Jews).

Most wars are strictly because of foreign tensions, economic issues, imperialism, and a whole lot more. Religion doesn't really factor into a whole lot of conflicts even if we included the fundamentalist Islamic surge in the Middle East and the Crusades.

Well Jews and Judaism wouldn't even be a thing since Jewism wouldn't have existed. Therefore, no Hitler.

Edited by Rawzy

Well Jews and Judaism wouldn't even be a thing since Jewism wouldn't have existed. Therefore, no Hitler.

That's still not caused by religion, though; it was more likely that Hitler wanted to wipe out the race as a whole and not the religion.

What I meant more specifically was religion being used as a reason for war. Even if it wasn't Hitler and anti-Semitism the Weimar was very unstable anyway and it might just be another fascist leader.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
(edited)

I'm a fellow Atheist brony.

I reject the notion of a supreme being, an afterlife and anything else with a connotation with religion as there is no evidence which points to the existence of any of these. I am strongly pro-science, will only believe something if there is sufficient evidence to back it up and I personally think that science is much more beneficial to the progress of humanity and civilization as a whole.

I am also very secular, I have no desire to see religion stamped out of existence as I am not Plutarco Calles or any other militant atheist that comes to mind and I am completely fine with those who choose to believe in any particular religion as long as they do not impose their religion down on others or use it as a means to control others in any way.

Edited by MaresalCakmak
  • Brohoof 1

I used to be one, I could probably still be considered one, just depends on what you mean by "atheist". I still reject the teachings of most major religions and nearly all religious labels, including "atheist".

I probably wouldn't call myself an atheist, but on the other hand, I wouldn't call myself religious either.

De-facto atheist here. Spent years in mental purgatory due to fear of hell holding me back in my childhood. I've overcome the fear of such illogical places thankfully. I have received a lot of judgement, misunderstanding, anger and offense for not believing. It sucks, but people will be people. Though I have never pushed my beliefs on others or talked down to religious people because I do not care what someone's beliefs are unless it negatively impacts others, I have had plenty of theists talk down to me and threaten me with hell, punishment, etc.

I constantly hear of the so-called "persecution" that Christians face in America. This is pure fallacy-based hysteria. Laws are made by a Christian majority. God is on our money, in our pledges, and used as justification for the passing of laws, bills, actions, etc. Churches are tax-exempt, while spreading influence into our politics, our government, general places that cross the church and state wall. I've had Christians claim that I talk about God so often because I "hate" him and actually do "believe" in him. I do not speak of God because I believe he exists, I speak of God because I know that believers exist. To them, I ask: if laws, schools, and our money represented/displayed images and quotes that speak the name of Allah or any other God, wouldn't you, too, have something to say about it? When something you don't believe in is used as influence/justification to make changes and write laws in your society, wouldn't you, too, have something to say about it? Taking prayer out of public schools (that are RAN by the government) is not religious persecution. It is a rightful step in retaining the wall between church and state. Petitioning to remove God's name from the pledge is not religious persecution, it is a rightful step in retaining the wall between church and state. In our First Amendment, it states this:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

The cries of the Christian majority are out of fear of losing control and influence in the political and social facets of our country. If simply being kept in check by the government to enforce the separation of church in state is enough to cause mass upset and rage, imagine what it is like for a Muslim or Jew to live in a country that so obviously panders to one specific God. And maybe it is the fear of losing their imposition that causes the upset. Maybe it is the fear of losing their religious majority that causes upset. If Christians cannot handle being held to the same standard as all other religions in America, imagine what it would be like to walk in the shoes of your Atheist neighbor, your Jewish neighbor, or your Muslim neighbor.

I talk of God because of these problems. I talk of God because of the wish to become an even greater power in our government and society. It threatens religious freedom and threatens to silence or oppress the voices who do not belong to the same system of beliefs as Christians. I am not oppressed, but the way that Christianity as a whole acts in America is that of an oppressor who grows ever-hungrier for more power and a louder voice that wants to become the center of everything in it's control. And that is not what America is meant to be. That is not the dream our Forefathers envisioned, where we have a secular country, founded on freedom of religion, where one religion cannot have control over the people. The spread of religion into our politics, our government, is toxic to our foundation and must be defended against.

I'm personally not spiritual or religious whatsoever, but I also cannot disprove their existence nor prove how anything came to be or various phenomenon so I don't dismiss the existence of higher beings either. Atheist-leaning agnostic, I guess?

• 1 month later...

Completely atheist. Religious people already do not believe in a lot of gods, I just do not believe in a few more.

I cannot disprove the existence of God, but nobody can disprove the existence of Cthulhu either. If someone wants me to believe in their religion, then they would have to disprove other religions (including a few I can come up off the top of my head) without those same arguments being used to disprove their religion.

"My Holy Book says that it is true and that it is the word of God, all other books are false"

"That other book also says that it is the word of God, is true and all other books are false, so why should I believe your book and not this one?"

I just cannot see parts of the inner workings or a religion and then forget I saw that and take the religion at face value.

I think there is an intelligence behind the univerese. A random world would not be so cruel. I have had good and bad luck and it doesn't seem random. 

Even the story of Adam and Eve is about them getting kicked out of paradise into a cruel world. The story acknowledges that the world sucks.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, 2nd Amendment Brony said:

A random world would not be so cruel.

Why not? There is usually one  way for things to be "right" and many ways for things to be "wrong" which means that "wrong" is more likely. Combine that with the tendency of peopleto move their goals/desires to never have "enough" and you see lots of unhappy people.

3 minutes ago, 2nd Amendment Brony said:

Even the story of Adam and Eve is about them getting kicked out of paradise into a cruel world.

The story is about humans gaining sapience and, in turn, having needs and desires way above those of other animals. Other animals can be happy with the basics - just look at a dog or a cat. On the other hand humans never have enough. 

I've generally considered myself to be agnostic although in recent years I have found myself leaning further towards atheism or even full blown anti-theism.

I have seen nothing in the world to convince me in the existence of an omnipotent being and I outright reject religious dogma of every stripe.

How many Atheists bronies out there? Beats me, only God knows.

Edited by TBD