Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How many ATHEIST bronies out there?

There was indeed a short 2 month period of my life where I had claimed myself as an atheist.

Do to the scientific theories I had been presented with I had a good reason not to believe in a higher being.

Then of course there was fear.

Fear of the unknown.

That is when I began to question myself.

Did the universe really come from nothing?

Mankind was never there so how could we know for sure?

This is when I began fading into the agnostic period of my life.

Where I acknowledged that God could not be proven or disproven.

Now currently I have a religion.

I don't really like to debate atheists about my beliefs, but I'd be willing to share them if they asked.

I really don't mind atheists though.

They obviously have a good reason to deny supernatural life.

So I won't bother them about their beliefs.

• Brohoof 2

This video changed my views a little. I kinda have to agree with a lot of what they say: Faith is not illogical, merely the people who chose to ignore everything else for it.

Honestly, I can't help but wonder what life would be like religious faith wasn't so flammable or preachy against other faiths, but rather just a means of making each other more connected, more motivated to do good and to help our neighbors. No bibles or any of that stuff. Just a small, little belief that somewhere out there, a powerful being is watching over us. The reason religious fervor and unreason still exists is because there is no moderation.

For a visual example, picture this: You have a bathtub. Say you want to take a light bath today, but you want it as quickly as possible and jerk the faucet head off to the side. Egads! Disaster has struck, and you are left with one less faucet head with a tub that is quickly filling up with really hot water! As you quickly go to get up, the water splatters your leg, you jump up in pain, land, slip, fall, hit your head on floor of the bathtub and are slowly boiled in your own bathtub, which has now begun to flood,

Bummer. But I believe that the quote "Too much of a good thing can be bad" goes perfectly with this. With out any religious restraint on part of preachers and worshipers, fervor begins to arise along with the need to isolate ourselves from any religion that does not agree with out own. In this scenario, the faucet head is the restraint, and the water is our religious faith. 'You', are...well, pretty much any religious minority with a chance of being slaughtered due to religious fervor (or too much of it, to be specific). It's okay to like warm water, but at some point, you've got to stop raising the heat or it'll get out of hand and someone will get hurt.

Actually, their video was rather flawed, and was aptly dealt with here:

http://haphazardhermit.blogspot.se/2013/01/extra-credits-on-faith.html

Edited by DashForever
Quoting hidden post

Hey there! Another atheist scum here. :)

Well, I was actually Jewish, Long ago, but as you grow up you see more and more of the world around you. Through logic, perception and research iv'e questioned my faith, eventually abandoning it. I suppose what i came to appreciate was that for every argument a creationist makes there are logical, modern counter-arguments to be found, ready to debunk it.

Having a religion is a nice tool to placate people that fail to understand certain things - like how people in ancient Greece created Apollo to gain the assurance that the sun would rise another day. Nowadays, in my opinion, it's useless, even harmful.

A few points, in case this wasn't obvious to non-atheists reading my post:

- I don't hate god, because i can't hate a non-existent entity.

- I don't hold atheism as a religion, by definition i'm 'religionless'.

- I believe that the more you have to defend an idea against common observations that point to the contrary the less that idea is plausible.

- I don't have anything against creationists as long as they don't force their faith down my gullet (this was attempted before).

• Brohoof 1

One time, I found a Bible sitting around, and I decided to read it. After about 15 minutes of reading, I came to a conclusion: NONE OF THIS MAKES ANY F***ING SENSE. From a scientific point of view, most of those events could not ever take place. When I was younger, I always wondered "Why haven't I seen any acts of God?" and "How is the world so messed up if there is a God?". Now I know, to answer both of my questions, YOU CAN'T EXPECT MUCH FROM SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T EXIST. On a related note, people often use religion to explain the meaning of life. My theory, which I have not often heard, is that life does not have a meeting; It's just a thing that happens.

My friends, let's remember that this thread isn't meant for religious debate. There exist plenty of other threads with which to satisfy your debating needs

I'm locking this thread while we clean it up. Please do your best to keep the thread on track, or we'll be forced to take punitive action against those who continue to break the rules. Consider this your final warning.

• Brohoof 5

I've removed all argumentative posts involving people who don't identify as atheists or agnostics. As Aquila said above, there are other threads specifically for debating faith and the existence of higher powers, but this isn't one. Just as we've asked atheists to refrain from posting in the Christian Bronies thread and others like it in the past, I'm now asking those who believe to talk about their faith elsewhere. Aquila's given you several suggestions if you're interested in debate, and there are other places for simply bonding with fellow believers. 

Unlocking the thread, and sorry for any inconvenience.

• Brohoof 5

• 2 weeks later...

How many atheist bronies are there?

A lot. Bronies are more likely to be atheists than members of other groups of people due to the prevalence of the INTJ personality type, which is linked with scepticism and scientific mindedness, and therefore with atheism.

To simply put, I'm an atheist, but to be specific I'm more like a person who "don't really care about religion". I have been a science person all my life and though I know that doesn't exclude religion, I haven't take any interest in it. Also my family is not the all-religious type, to say the least.

• 1 month later...

~Bump~

Had a question for atheist and variants, what makes an atheist an atheist or agnostic? for example if someone has no religion and has very little or no hate towards religion are they still an atheist? Also how many types of atheists are there?

Edited by Melly

~Bump~

Had a question for atheist and variants, what makes an atheist an atheist or agnostic? for example if someone has no religion and has very little or no hate towards religion are they still an atheist? Also how many types of atheists are there?

Atheist means "I don't believe". That is all there is to the word.

An agnostic doesn't know wherever God is real or not, saying nothing about wherever he believes or not.

An atheist agnostic, doesn't know and doesn't believe.

• Brohoof 1

I was a Catholic myself only about a year or so ago, but the past year has made a skeptic of me. Now, I consider myself to be an agnostic- while I'm not satisfied with the apparent evidence for a supernatural deity/deities out there (nor would I be particularly thrilled to find that the Abrahamic God is more than a fiction... :okiedokielokie: ) , I'm also hesitant to feel for certain that such entities are an impossibility.

@- from my perspective, an atheist is someone who knows for certain that there is no God or other supernatural deity out there. If there's even a little part of their mind that is open to the possibility of them existing, then they are an agnostic at least.

'If someone has no religion and has very little or no hate towards religion are they still an atheist?'

You don't have to hate religion to be an atheist; in fact, you could probably be an atheist and yet still find yourself appreciating religion for some reason (if you admire its intentions or works, for instance- not that I'm claiming religion is necessarily something that should be admired :blush:) Christian atheism, for example, rejects belief and faith, but followers find the teachings of Jesus to be useful to them. So no, hatred isn't necessary at all to be an atheist; just a rejection of all belief in the supernatural.

'Also how many types of atheists are there?'

There's at least six types I can find right now-

~Intellectual atheist/agnostic- atheists that seek info about atheism and try to understand it further.
~Activist- telling others why they reject religion, and hoping that others follow suit
~Seeker-agnostic- people that embrace uncertainty and hold an open mind about the existence of a deity/deities
~Anti-theist- opposed to religious ideology
~Non-theist- not interested in either religion or anti-religion
~Ritual atheist- can find the teachings of some religions to be useful, like the Christian atheists I mentioned.

:)

Edited by Edwardo_Brony
  • Brohoof 3

~Bump~

I don't believe in god because it doesn't make sense. I don't hate anyone, that has nothing to do with atheism.

I claim I'm a atheist, but really I'm an agnostic. Being an atheist doesn't make much sense as you actually BELIEVE that there is no god. While an agnostic simply "knows" there is no god since it hasn't been proved.

Put short:

Agnostics believes in science.

Atheists believe there is no god.

• Brohoof 1

I'm more Agnostic than Atheist, for the most part I dont believe in god, but technically I cant know for sure there isn't one, so I just say I don't know, nobody technically knows until you die, so that's why I just live my life trying to be a good person, living by the rule of Karma, and spreading peace and love as much as possible.    :) 

• Brohoof 2

I may not be an atheist, but I am an agnostic.

An agnostic theist though.

I try to reason my belief in a higher being through different scientific theories.

But to stay on topic, most atheists I have met in this fandom are pretty decent folk.

Although you do have your average person who refuses to be tolerant of other people's points of view, most are good about that.

But how many athiest Bronies are there?

Well... let's just say the majority are and that there's too many to count.

• Brohoof 1

You can agnostic about lots of things. You can be agnostic about The Easter Bunner, The Tooth Fairy, The Flying Spaghetti Monster. You can't prove that these don't exist either 

I am an atheist.

An atheist is somebody who does not believe in any gods. It doesn't mean that you're absolutely 100% certain that there are no gods. After all it's difficult to be 100% sure of anything. Just that you don't believe there are any. For example, I don't believe in harpies. I've not searched every inch of the universe for them, and cannot disprove their existence. But until some good reason comes along for me to believe in harpies, I'll continue to not believe in them.

I'll add that while it's impossible to disprove the idea of gods completely (partly due to the woolly definition of what exactly a god is), it is perfectly possible to prove beyond reasonable doubt that certain particular gods do not exist, if you can narrow down their definition enough.

It is possible to be religious and atheist, as there are various religions that do not require a belief in any gods.

With regard to types, there are three main categories you can lump atheists into:

• Explicit positive atheism: "I believe that no deities exist"
  • Explicit negative atheism: "I do not believe that deities exist"
  • Implicit atheism: people who have never thought about the existence of gods, so cannot be said to believe in any gods.
  • Brohoof 3

I am a atheist and proud of It I've done alot of searching in my life for the meaning of it all and god is not it religion in a whole has done more wrong in this world that any other sect. I believe in reason any science there is no magic sky daddy to help or anwser our calls, god was made up by man for man most all religions use the same stuff passed down thoughout time from older religions.We are taught to belieive what our parents were taught, and so on and so forth. I am a free-thinker who questions everything and will always thanks.

• Brohoof 1

There are so many Christian/athiest threads popping up of late. Interesting. On topic i am an athiest and have been since i was a boy. This while going to a Catholic private school for a few years was not a fun thing to be but i have embraced it and am proud to be an athiest

• Brohoof 1