Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How many ATHEIST bronies out there?

My folks have tried again and again to put me into church after cult in the past. Sucking away all my time and will.

I don't even consider myself an atheist completely.

All that matters is if something actually happens, not mystical lines verging on hyperbole.

And the big questions, are most likely going to stay properly unanswered, the problem is so many want an easy answer so they can "get on with things," or "fill that empty void/feeling."

I have a simple premise that's kept me alive and working at full blast:

All religion is outdated and problematic. Instead... try pondering anything and everything when you feel it's appropriate.

That idea has pretty much made all business smooth for me.

And believe me, I have been attacked several times. Quite often from people who are supposed to be my "loving family."

(I like to call the ones who have 'relatives' these days. As in the fact their blood lists them as part of my family is merely relative.)

----

And of course, as this is a forum for it: MLP FiM EQG Rocks!

Edited by Cyric
Don't accuse religious worldviews of delusion
  • Brohoof 1

Guys, let's be a little more civil in our terminology. It's fine to disagree in regards to belief systems & all, but remember that we're community of equals. Any term that targets a group in a derogatory manner shouldn't be tolerated.

Now please, continue the discussion. :)

• Brohoof 5

I am an atheist. I don't believe or support any religion however I believe that everyone is free to follow and believe whatever they want.

I don't judge either, but i look for answers instead of just arguing.

• Brohoof 2

Unless worshipping the sun becomes a mainstream religion, i'm gonna nap in the atheist camp. XD

Main Reasons.

•  can't prove God exists so very poor foundation to build on.
  • The moment i decide to cut them some slack, some religious person says or does something stupid
  • To many religions care more about dying than living which is a lousy way to live.
  • Even with no gods, there is still beauty in the universe, more than enough for one human life. 
  • All things return to the earth and that is all I need to know. :)
Edited by Snow Pony Malinter
  • Brohoof 6

I'm an atheist. Or a "agnostic explicit positive atheist", using the definition that was posted a few posts back. That means that I do not only disbelieve in deities, but I actively believe that there are no deities (notice the difference). I am however agnostic in the sense that I fully aknowledge that I can't be certain. New evidence may be presented in the future that will change my mind, but based on the evidence currently available, there doesn't seem to be any gods.

• Brohoof 2

I don't believe in god because it doesn't make sense. I don't hate anyone, that has nothing to do with atheism.

I claim I'm a atheist, but really I'm an agnostic. Being an atheist doesn't make much sense as you actually BELIEVE that there is no god. While an agnostic simply "knows" there is no god since it hasn't been proved.

Put short:

Agnostics believes in science.

Atheists believe there is no god.

There is such thing as agnostic atheism, which is the category that I (and most atheists) fall under. Bertrand Russell can explain this one:

I ought to call myself an agnostic; but, for all practical purposes, I am an atheist. I do not think the existence of the Christian God any more probable than the existence of the Gods of Olympus or Valhalla. To take another illustration: nobody can prove that there is not between the Earth and Mars a china teapot revolving in an elliptical orbit, but nobody thinks this sufficiently likely to be taken into account in practice. I think the Christian God just as unlikely.

So simply put, I'm a god agnostic the same way I'm a teapot agnostic. My claim is that the chances of god existing are so minuscule that I may as well label myself an atheist.

• Brohoof 1

Actually not completely anti-religion, but I agree with most Atheist viewpoints. Small personal belief rant below.

I'm actually closer to Neo-paganism/Spirituality in some of my beliefs, but only so far as believing in the fact of a universal energy, not an almighty god to worship (think along the lines of Chi, or a life force). When we decide to manifest that force as something (for example, law or destruction) we tend to slap a name and couple hundred myths on it to explain why we worship it. Eventually it catches on and people forget the whole fact a god was just a metaphor for the Spirit of law, and you have most religions.

For the most part, I just meditate and use divination by calling upon that force, much in the way a Christian might pray before a sporting event. Even then, it's not a god to me, just energy. 

• Brohoof 2

That's quite true, all this about a god is too farfetched. But what i'm hearing about turning water into wine, walking on water, its just impossible without aid. I've seen some shoes that allow such a thing, but back then those never existed. This blows that story out the window. In other terms, people are manipulated by such stories and the parents really need to look through the book and take a better look at it. What i see is a being who tosses away anything that doesn't suit him or is not like him. 

Sure, your minor infractions can be overlooked, but the bigger ones like murder, or worse are treated like a huge mistake. Judgement will never accomplish anything, but make your subjects hate you. I can see the ones who are suffering because of some idiot who won't listen to reason. If this happens to be true or not, i could care less about my judgement as i shun him for his lack of logic.

This is one perfect example of god's lack reasoning:

tossing his creations away is abandonment, meaning he cares not for them and only cares about those who please him, like a rich parent sees two kids, one has no talent and the other does. So what do they do? They act like the talented one is the only child. I've seen this happen a lot in my travels, but make no mistake, what god does is a sin as well. Even if you die, what harm could you possibly do to anyone there? Nothing, that's what, you're already dead, so you can't harm anyone anyway.

I hold no hatred for religion, i just hate it when people force their ideas on others and manipulate them to fear such things. This by no means is an argument, just my personal opinion, nothing more.

Edited by Rosemary
  • Brohoof 1

I'm actually closer to Neo-paganism/Spirituality in some of my beliefs, but only so far as believing in the fact of a universal energy, not an almighty god to worship (think along the lines of Chi, or a life force). When we decide to manifest that force as something (for example, law or destruction) we tend to slap a name and couple hundred myths on it to explain why we worship it. Eventually it catches on and people forget the whole fact a god was just a metaphor for the Spirit of law, and you have most religions.

For the most part, I just meditate and use divination by calling upon that force, much in the way a Christian might pray before a sporting event. Even then, it's not a god to me, just energy.

I get that, kind of.

I'm not just nonreligious, though. I'm also pretty nonspiritual. I understand what you mean when you talk about feeling energy, as I do experience those things—but my interpretation of this is that it's all in my head. I don't actually believe that I'm harnessing energy or anything like that... that's really more like a visualization. I consider the spiritual to be an analogy for what's really a bunch of chemical reactions that we experience.

Perception: "I took a deep breath and I felt the energy enter my body... that energy allowed me to finish the marathon."

Reality: The pause allowed several chemicals, such as adrenaline and dopamine, to release into the blood. That provided increased energy and the associated feelings.

Edited by Regulus
  • Brohoof 4

@,

The scientific basis is mostly correct in the "metaphysical" sciences. I'll look for the source, but I believe that some Russian scientists had discovered that humans cells vibrate on a sub-molecular level, that can be interpreted by different wavelengths in the color spectrum. This actually gives some basis for Auramancy, with being able to feel somebodies molecular vibrations. I'm sure a few other ideas can be explained to some degree, should science actually advance in a field bordering heresy.

I mostly just stick to the spiritual/magickal/religious excuse of a Life Energy because explaining all of that to my high-school is mostly a waste of my time.

• Brohoof 1

I consider myself anti-theist, meaning I believe that religion is overall more harmful than good.

All of the good things religion does can also be done by atheists, however some of the bad things it does can only be done by religious people. Yes, churches do donate a lot of money to charity, but atheists can do that too. However, atheists have no reason to fight against gay rights or murder people who don't share their beliefs, unlike SOME religious people.

• Brohoof 7

I would consider myself in the atheist camp. I feel religion was created in a time where people didn't know what was going on in the world around them and wanted to explain it. They didn't have the technology or tools we have today so they made stories to explain the world around them. Religion is a myth, just like how we see Greek, Roman, or Norse gods as myth, so are the other religions.

Another reason I see why religion exists is to explain the afterlife. Since no one has ever died and came back and said, "hey guys! This is what happens when we die!" No one can truly say what happens, so religion came in and said, here is what the afterlife is like, worship our God and you will see true happiness after death!

That is just my philosophy.

• Brohoof 4

I am shadow fox from the thinking atheist forums!

I follow quite a lot of the popular atheists and have read some of the books too! I am not just an atheist though, I am also a anti theist and an Kopimis and a pastafarian. 

73. The op asked a question. My best guess is 73 atheists.

Count me in that number too.

Basicly Religion has helped early man kind explain that which scientific understanding could not.

as we understood what the Sun was we had no more need for a Sun god. As we understand the beginnings of humanity and farther bac still to the beginnings of everything we will have less and less need for a creation god.

Morals are scocial and are subject to change frome one society to the next and within one society as time changes that sosocieties dynamic.

All of this shows me that the rigid dogma of any religion is obsolete the moment it is created.

Edited by spade
  • Brohoof 4

I've been an atheist most of my life despite going to private religious schools and initially a presbyterian church. I do try to respect other people's needs and beliefs for religion as long as it does infringe on my own want for that absence.

• Brohoof 1

To me, religion is just a smart way to gather people and prevent them from acting bad. Which is nice. But some people (myself included) don't feel the need to believe in a divine figure to make it through their life and act good. I'd rather just believe in humanity, and myself.

So... is there a god out there? I don't know, and I frankly don't need to know.

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like religion. While at its core, it's meant to be love (essentially it's meant to be exactly what bronies value, tolerance, forgiveness, openness and kindness) the dogma surrounding it has twisted it into a mockery of its true intentions. All those devoutly religious who base their lives on outdated scripture hold back humanity as a whole.

I have nothing against people who are religious yet sensible, but I absolutely despise fanatics who try to take away the freedom of others through their own twisted interpretation of their holy books. (I believe all Judeo-Christian-Islamic religions have the line "Judge not lest ye be judged yourself" or some variation thereof in their books. If the religious aren't meant to judge and only their God is allowed to, I'd ask them to kindly refrain from judging).

• Brohoof 3

I don't like religion. While at its core, it's meant to be love (essentially it's meant to be exactly what bronies value, tolerance, forgiveness, openness and kindness) the dogma surrounding it has twisted it into a mockery of its true intentions. All those devoutly religious who base their lives on outdated scripture hold back humanity as a whole.

I have nothing against people who are religious yet sensible, but I absolutely despise fanatics who try to take away the freedom of others through their own twisted interpretation of their holy books. (I believe all Judeo-Christian-Islamic religions have the line "Judge not lest ye be judged yourself" or some variation thereof in their books. If the religious aren't meant to judge and only their God is allowed to, I'd ask them to kindly refrain from judging).

I agree 100%. The problem of religious dogma is that it is static by design. It has no contingency for social evolution and is therefore archaic. The prime argument for religion is that we can not be moral without it. Yet here we are, a completely secular subculture, advocating love, respect, tolerance, egalitarianism, and support;the very morality religions proport. How many wars and atrocities have been committed in the name of that? How many in the name of respecting others? (I can think of only one: the US civil war)

• Brohoof 2

My opinion is that the religion of a person chooses for himself. Something must guide him through life. No matter what. Importantly, this has an impact on the individual, forcing to go forward.

Atheism - is emptyness in soul. My friends once told me interesting idea about this question. There is two ways - religion and belief. I believe in version №2. I believe in Sisters and it leads me in life

• Brohoof 1