Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How many ATHEIST bronies out there?

I currently do not believe in God due to a lack of evidence for or against him, so I went with the more logical thing in my point of view. I fully respect that people have different beliefs, and do not think you should go around saying stuff like "Religious Non-sense".

I'm an atheist but don't have anything against the religions themselves or the people who follow a religion, except for one! *Cougth*Cougth*Scientology**Cougth*

• Brohoof 2

I'm not an atheist, but i respect most beliefs. (There are some beliefs that I absolutely hate, but that's normal.)

Though being an atheist because the Bible is contradictory isn't really valid. The Bible isn't the only religious book. You don't even need religion to believe in a God. I believe in a God, but I don't practice any religion. I believe the Bible may have some factual stuff in it, but it's a work of fiction. Even as a theist, I have a hard time believing that certain people were sent by God to tell others what to do. I think those people claimed to have been sent by God do it for power.

I also hate how Christians say God is real because the Bible says so. So this isn't against atheists.

If you truly believe there's no God, then that's fine. If you're an atheist because you hate a certain religion, I don't agree with that. It's like someone becoming religious because they hate atheism. 

I would qualify, though I am not very zealous about it and am still processing how to operate as a person with this new realization there is no life after death, a lot of people in positions of power are basing how they make decisions on false information and feel like I'm starting to encounter depression more often. I was raised a Christian, went to Christian schools for my entire primary education, then "woke up" in college and now am an English Major with a tedious job and a growing sense of imminent doom and that I'm wasting my life because I now know this is the only one I get. 

Atheism also kind of split my parents up after a thirty year marriage, as my Dad chose atheism as his path and got way into reading philosophy and going to protests and my fundamental Christian Mother couldn't adapt to the shift. 

I dug out a bunch of family videos lately and plan to go through them all, but its already weird seeing my parents as they once were, when I was a baby, when they were both on the same page about life and what they wanted to do. Now that they've parted ways...I don't know. I feel like Dad is right and Mom is wrong but why fight about it? Just learn and move on. But I'm having trouble adapting to this new information too. 

So, I am atheist, but I'm depressed about it so I get why many buy the lie of religion so they can focus on other things.

Edited by KraznorG
  • Brohoof 2

This will sound really weird to others but.. I'm an Atheist who wants to be Christian. I find the Bible interesting and just really like the idea but I'm not interested enough to research and most importantly - I don't believe any of it to be real.

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

@Princess Sapphire I’d say that the main tenet of Christianity is believing the events of the Bible to be figuratively and/or literally true, depending on the sect.

I'm an agnostic atheist (I think that’s the right term). I don't believe that there's sufficient evidence to conclude that the Abrahamic God exists.

If God does exist, I don't see him as worthy of worship--in fact, I see him as worthy of prison due to stuff like Noah's Flood and not doing anything to end problems like world hunger despite being omnipotent, in addition to assholeish stuff like punishing Adam and Eve’s descendants for something Adam and Eve did or for punishing Adam and Eve for doing what he, being omniscient, knew they would do--so I guess I'm a bit of a misotheist/maltheist.

I'm also a bit of an antitheist, since I don't like that religion has been used to justify things from refusing necessary medical aid or giving unnecessary (and presumably psychologically-scarring, given the sensitivity of the penis and the lack of the patient's informed consent) circumcisions to the Holocaust and the Crusades. Of course, what I perceive to be antitheism could have just been a heat-of-the-moment lashing out due to anger at having something done to my body without my consent (I got all my info from Psychology Today, so idk how reliable it is).

EDIT: I'm having problems making words into hyperlinks, so I'll just link the articles I read: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201109/myths-about-circumcision-you-likely-believe

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201109/more-circumcision-myths-you-may-believe-hygiene-and-stds

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201109/circumcision-social-sexual-psychological-realities

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201109/circumcision-ethics-and-economics

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201110/what-is-the-greatest-danger-uncircumcised-boy

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/moral-landscapes/201110/why-continue-harm-boys-ignorance-male-anatomy

Edited by KruegerMeister
  • Brohoof 1

Always nice to come across another intactivist, especially if it's a random and unsolicited encounter. I feel we're two comrades in the fight against the same conflict which made us casualties...

Anyway, I'm agnostic, but I suppose for this thread's purposes and most others I count as an atheist. I reject religion as at best a crutch and at worst a cause of catastrophic foolishness and destruction.

• Brohoof 1

I am quite surprised that none of the fire-and-brimstone theists have come to hawk this thread. I thought for sure that being a brony would change nothing at all. I guess I was wrong. As for being an atheist, I suppose I fit into that category, although I don't doubt God's existence as much as I don't care. There are people in this world who live under the assumption that God exists, and there are those who do not. We all live and function in the same world, so it is as if both are true, which leads me to believe that definitively knowing whether or not God exists would not matter at all. I simply don't like to make assumptions, so I suppose I fall on the atheist side of the agnostic spectrum.

Relatively few 'fire-and-brimstone' people would be openly embracing a show designed for prepubescent girls which promulgates love and tolerance. Also, I've noticed people here generally have a superior level of discretion in that regard. Rarely do people start conflict here merely because they disagree with the OP. I don't know how those people have so much emotional energy that they can waste massive amounts of it in such pointless conflicts.

• Brohoof 2

I suppose I've spent too much time on the angry side of the internet.

This will sound really weird to others but.. I'm an Atheist who wants to be Christian. I find the Bible interesting and just really like the idea but I'm not interested enough to research and most importantly - I don't believe any of it to be real.

Why would you want to be a Christian if you don't hold any of their beliefs? I thought the whole point of being an atheist was to NOT live based on the assumption of the existence of God. If you want to believe in God, why don't you?

(edited)

I am an laid_back antitheist; self formed atheist, visionary of transhumanism, and a nihilist philosopher with the preferences of a furry brony.

Also, my avatar is an antropomorphic cat.

Edited by SilverComet

(edited)

I'm agnostic, but I love the lot of you so much, I just had to post here.

I'm an Athiest/Anti-Thiest... meaning that i not only do not believe in a god, i try to be as active in stopping religion as possible. Although i try to love all people, whether they are religious or not... the religion can cause them to do some messed up things...

So as i like to say... "Hate the religion, NOT the person." 

I try to keep these things out of MLP forums, because this place is so kind, i don't want it to dissolve into pure hatred of people. 

That's pretty much exactly how I feel, except I guess not completely athiest.  So, I guess agnostic/anti-theist.

Why would you want to be a Christian if you don't hold any of their beliefs? I thought the whole point of being an atheist was to NOT live based on the assumption of the existence of God. If you want to believe in God, why don't you?

I know this is none of my business, as you were asking Princess Sapphire, but I'm just venturing a random guess: maybe it's like how I wish I hated ketchup because it's disgusting, but I still love it?  :S

Edited by Justin_Case001

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a closet atheist, in that I choose not to actively identify with other atheists. Religion is not important to me, personally, but I recognize that it is for some, my family included. Far too many atheists I've met in my life come across as condescending and (somewhat ironically) holier-than-thou. There is absolutely nothing wrong with choosing not to believe in a higher power, but there is no reason to speak ill of religion or those who choose to partake of it. Live and let live.

This presents a dilemma.

Atheism is pragmatic. It dirives it's authority from logic and science.

While I do not wish to hurt anyone feelings (and I truly mean that), I also disagree with the fundamental principles of religion as they are based on untruths. People often believe in God because they have not the facts.

So how do you tell someone who believes in a god that you believe he/she/it doesn't exist without sounding condescending?

• Brohoof 1

This presents a dilemma.

Atheism is pragmatic. It dirives it's authority from logic and science.

While I do not wish to hurt anyone feelings (and I truly mean that), I also disagree with the fundamental principles of religion as they are based on untruths. People often believe in God because they have not the facts.

So how do you tell someone who believes in a god that you believe he/she/it doesn't exist without sounding condescending?

I think I would say "I don't believe in the existence of God (or gods.)"

If you use a polite tone of voice (assuming this is in real life,) and they still get offended, there is not much you can do.

• Brohoof 1

I think I would say "I don't believe in the existence of God (or gods.)"

If you use a polite tone of voice (assuming this is in real life,) and they still get offended, there is not much you can do.

That much is the case, indeed. For those who don't know a youtuber called dark matter2525 made a video a while ago talking about this issue: 

Not everyone out there is happy about people not believing in god so you have to be careful about saying it, of course none of you if going berserk telling everyone this but even then, you wouldn't want to get people to hate you just because of that...

As for me: I'm just your regular everyday atheist. 

• Brohoof 2

Hello my fellow athiests.

I have a fedora, I know for a FACT that there isn't a god, I have a kitana collection, I'm 300 pounds, and im single. Please be my bf/gf, I'm really nice.

JK, I personally don't believe in a god but I don't hate people who do.

Edited by Lag Spike
  • Brohoof 1

I'm a Whovian; I believe the Doctor is watching over us, and he loves us, and wants us to be happy.

But seriously, I'm an atheists, and I've become anti-theist recently due to all my friends that were once tolerant and liberal becoming ultra conservative and religious to the point of just being terrible people and posting incredibly awful things on their social networks because they think that's what god wants for them to behave like. 

Hello my fellow athiests.

I have a fedora, I know for a FACT that there isn't a god, I have a kitana collection, I'm 300 pounds, and im single. Please be my bf/gf, I'm really nice.

JK, I personally don't believe in a god but I don't hate people who do.

M'Gentle Sir *tips hot pink fedora*

• Brohoof 3

That much is the case, indeed. For those who don't know a youtuber called dark matter2525 made a video a while ago talking about this issue: 

Not everyone out there is happy about people not believing in god so you have to be careful about saying it, of course none of you if going berserk telling everyone this but even then, you wouldn't want to get people to hate you just because of that...

As for me: I'm just your regular everyday atheist.

That...

Was...

Awesome!!!!!

I find thy when presented with an argument of fact (for example my favorite thy Jesus is likely to never have existed because he is just one of literally hundreds of Sun deity incarnations like Horus, Krishna and others who all were born on Dec 25th of a virgin who performed mericals of healing and, at age 30, started a ministry with 12 apostles only to die on a cross.) They tend to deny the facts and, unable to rebut or dispute actual facts they feel like it's an attack on Intelligence. This is unfortunate. I do not think Chritians or any other theists are unintelligent, I feel like they have not put the effort into researching all sides of the matter.

If I were to ask you your oppinion on a topic you know nothing about before you give that oppinion you must first look at all sides and only after having seen the arguments can you decide. Theists hear one side then refuse to acknowledge that the other side's legitimacy to even be presented.

• Brohoof 1

I am just a sceptic who prays to god sometimes but am highly critical of theocratic rulings of religions. But i am not really anti religious...

I am not really against political parties having religious values, just aslong as its democratic elected party voted by the people in a typical 4 years election in a society, and not theocratical that is having god as the governing role and not laws based on reason.

Sorta unsure how i catogorize myself. I usually just call myself sceptic.

But its nice to meet you atheist bronies ^^

If by going through the spectrum of general belief subsets Theist, Agnostic theist, Agnostic atheist, and Atheist, I would place myself in the Agnostic atheist though I lean pretty heavily on the barrier between agnostic atheist and full atheist.

I don't normally include just agnosticism because I feel no matter how neutral you try to be there is always some form of slight leanings or an opinion of the subject. I can say that I don't know if there is a God or not (an agnostic stance), but I don't believe there is such a thing as a God (atheist qualifier). One establishes that I do indeed lack evidence for or against God, and the other establishes what I take from it. I apply these standards to everything, but Russel's Teapot describes it the best. There is a teapot orbiting some distant star. You can't see this teapot as it is too far away and we can't see it. It is impossible to prove or disprove that this teapot exists. My response would be that I agree that it is impossible for me to know if such a teapot exists, but from experience, I feel it is safe to establish that the teapot most likely doesn't exist. With that as a standard, I hold that to be my belief.

There is also the issue of what is God as there is no clear definition, personality, motive, or anything attributable to him in which to make any observable claims as the definition is lacking in concreteness. If a concrete definition of God could be established I'd probably look at it again, but right now there is as much evidence compelling me for the existence of fairies and goblins as there is for the existence of God. I don't believe in A and B when A=B=C, therefore I don't believe in C. Simple as that.