Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How many ATHEIST bronies out there?

(edited)

You do realize that Christianity is also cultural and not always spiritual.. right?

If I practice Christian morals, how am I not Christian?

No, though? One could say such to your thought process, as it's very close-minded and unaccepting of different points of views. I was raised Christian and was Baptized, while seeing things differently, I identify as what I did when I was born. It might be a different branch in Christianity [Non-believing Christians ARE a branch btw] but the religion and culture is in my family.

You also never answered my question. You think Christians who accept gays are fake? All Christians are homophobic? Is that what you're saying? because clearly we have to follow each and every single 'rule' of the Bible.. right?

Your soul purpose in posting is to tell me I'm rude and immature.. while you're the one calling me names for absolutely no reason? No, I don't see how I'm being rude or disrespectful to anyone for following my own religion.

I never said that you were rude or immature, only that your thought process might be construed by others as such. Although given your current statements, I obviously had the wrong idea about you. I was under the impression that you were a newly converted Christian that didn't necessarily believe in all the tenets of the religion. All my posts were under that false pretense, which I derived from your original post. Although, if I'm understanding you now, you were always a Christian, but you just felt a little unsure about you faith before returning to it. That's great and all, but why post about it in an atheist thread? That's what baffled me the most. Also, to answer your question, Christians who accept gays are not fake because homophobia is not a part of Christianity. All the Bible says on the matter is that "a man shall not lay with another man as he does a woman", which I interpret to mean " no homo sex", not "being gay is bad". Most religious rules like this were derived from ancient common sense, the logic behind this one being that having sex with another man can cause diseases and does not yield a child, so it is not worth taking part in. The belief that this passage in Leviticus means that God hates gay people was spread by Christian fundamentalist morons who warped and defiled their faith to give them a poor ass excuse to discriminate against people that they wouldn't have treated fairly anyway. All of my posts up until this one were based on the misconception that you just called yourself Christian because following "Christian values" made you feel good. Now that that has been cleared up, this whole debocle has been pointless. I no longer wish to antagonize myself or challenge your faith by continuing a pointless argument that won't go anywhere. I apologize for insulting you and treating you like an idiot. I spoke like a fool and made an ass of myself because of a simple misunderstanding that I probably could have avoided if I wasn't so eager to give into confirmation bias. I hope you can forgive me for being such an asshole. I can be very stouborn in my obsession with strict definitions. Edited by Left 4 Dash
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

We don't feed on hate. We feed on the amusement that comes from watching people who can't handle the truth.

The truth based on "facts" (theories) that constantly change. Well, technically there could be any number of them, just whatever theory is dominant changes.

TL;DR This science you believe in is not a set of facts. It's the constant pursuit of truth. There is no such thing as fact.

Edited by Flinchel

(edited)

I'm an atheist too, living in a predominantly Catholic country in the southeastern side of Asia called the Philippines. :catface:

I respect the beliefs of everyone here and there, as long as they respect my beliefs back and not shove their religion down my throat... ;)

Edited by Fillypino Pride
  • Brohoof 1

Most of the people around me are somehow religious and I am completely not into it. I was raised around religion my whole life. I eventually put my foot down though when none of it made sense to me. Only a few of my family bother me about it now though.

The truth based on "facts" (theories) that constantly change. Well, technically there could be any number of them, just whatever theory is dominant changes.

TL;DR This science you believe in is not a set of facts. It's the constant pursuit of truth. There is no such thing as fact.

Those last two posts were sarcastic.

I'm an atheist and an anti-theist. I don't like religion at all, I think it causes problems and solves none. Think about all of the wars started over religion,all the genocide, all of the prejudice. Now, I know some religious people are not so bad, if they respect the fact that I don't believe, then I will respect the fact that they do believe.

• Brohoof 1

I am not sure if I am an atheist. I say I am an atheist, because I do not have a religion, but I have a theory that no real atheists exist. You may not believe in God, in afterlife or spirits, but there is sure something you belive in. There are too many unanswered questions to not believe in anything. If nothing else, you do believe in the barely proven scientific theories.

So you decide if i'm an atheist or not. :ooh:

• Brohoof 1

There are too many unanswered questions to not believe in anything. If nothing else, you do believe in the barely proven scientific theories.

You can be born and not believe in scientific theories or God> Essentially, it IS possible to have no belief. And since the definition of atheism is "without a God," we were ALL atheists at one point. Is it to unreasonable to say that some of us only graduated a little farther along that line. And we don't necessarily "believe" in theories. We accept that some might be true, but they are subject to change, which causes us to change our thought process to suit the facts as we know them. If you refuse to accept change, than you truly do "believe" in theories.

• Brohoof 1

I am not sure if I am an atheist. I say I am an atheist, because I do not have a religion, but I have a theory that no real atheists exist. You may not believe in God, in afterlife or spirits, but there is sure something you belive in. There are too many unanswered questions to not believe in anything. If nothing else, you do believe in the barely proven scientific theories.

So you decide if i'm an atheist or not. :ooh:

Theists believe in a god (or gods). Atheists are those who are not theists.

• Brohoof 1

"The only common thread that ties all atheists together is a lack of belief in gods and supernatural beings. This is because atheists do not have a common belief system, sacred scripture or atheist Pope. This means atheists often disagree on many issues and ideas. Atheists come in a variety of shapes, colors, beliefs, convictions, and backgrounds. We are as unique as our fingerprints." 

http://atheists.org/activism/resources/what-is-atheism?

I don't believe in anything, I respect religion and such though, I have many religious friends and it doesn't really bother me, everyone can believe what they enjoy.

(edited)

All I know is Epicurus's postulation (God may not be both omnipotent and benevolent because of the suffering in the world) on the nature of God is correct, and that divine intervention is relatively infrequent and inscrutable at best. Other than that, I don't know anything. I don't know if the number of deities is 0 or 361, or whether it/they give a crap about humanity or would find it amusing if we were all taken out before I finish writing this post. There is obviously no omnipotent deity who is preoccupied with our species and such trivial matters as where and in whom I stick my penis or choice in clothing materials. We're on our own at the very least a vast majority of the time, and I proceed accordingly. I neither fault God for the wrong in the world nor ask God for help. Not having to discern the motives and preferences of a fictional being greatly simplifies the extremely complicated art of strategic planning.

I don't actively discriminate against those with a religion. I think they're misguided and foolish on at least that one matter, but, I do not needlessly wield my figurative sword against them. I have been aggressed for my political and social beliefs and other similarly unworthy things, and I very much disliked and protested that. Thus, I do not set out to make people's lives miserable merely because they belong to a religion. However, if someone causes me injury or discomfort through direct action, I will respond in kind. If someone tries to curtail my freedoms, that is tantamount to a declaration of war, and I do not treat enemies kindly.

Edited by Roketsune

I'm an atheist. It would seem all my friends have their own religious beliefs, but I don't hold those against them.I'm a pretty open-minded guy when it comes to people's values, but if it comes to extremists involving war and dispute, there really is no other factor that would lead to such.

Theists believe in a god (or gods). Atheists are those who are not theists.

Hmm...You may be right, but I was told that atheist means someone who does not belive in any religion, not necesarily just God(s). I mean, you couldn't say a shintoist is an atheist, even though the kamis can't really be called gods... they don't really fit the definition of a God...

But as I said, I am confused about the matter, so I may be wrong about this. :rarity:

(edited)
all the genocide

My knowledge of history on the subject is a bit rusty; mind pointing out a few genocides that were caused primarily by religion?

Edited by pakicetus

(edited)

I'm an atheist as well... but I don't know how good of an idea this thread is on a forum website with a diverse community.

See, I don't know how this conversation will turn out, but most atheist discussions I've witnessed involved negative criticisms on religions. While I do believe that criticism is a good thing as it challenges one's own mindset and gets the gears turning... People may get offended by potential conversations.

Usually I wouldn't care if people get offended about the criticism that some atheists toss at others, but I dunno, I am just not a fan of these sorts of conversations in the brony community because it gives potential for people to divide themselves into "them" and "us" groups. This is why I dislike the Christianity thread. I kinda like staying united as a community... it's the only one I've ever felt truly welcome in. I feel like if we define ourselves by our religious stances instead of our bronyhood, then we may lose some of the tight-knit qualities.

But I digress. You guys have fun :). I don't think I'll be participating here though. But brohoofs to all my atheists! See you around!

Well, yeah. I have been reading these post for a few days and i have to say i did see a lot of "i hate the church" and "god sucks" from time to time but overall i feel a lot of people have that nice "i just don't believe because there isn't evidence about it" that makes me glad about this thread.

Don't take me wrong, you're right this is a delicate topic to have in a forum (in a MLP forum nonetheless) but a lot of people here (and in the christian thread) seen to have a great way of showing what they believe. Besides, everyone is free to believe whatever they believe and is thanks to this kind of thread we can all share our beliefs. And you know what? it's thanks to us sharing those belief we can grow and learn, expand our worlds and our belief.

I've learned to not be ashamed by what i believe by talking with people about it and i hope we can have that kind of impact in someone else.

DANG, that was an old post. My bad, didn't see it was a post from 2 years ago, i thought i was in the lastest page. 

Edited by Qliphoth