Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How many ATHEIST bronies out there?

Well, although i understand where your coming from, i refuse to believe that science is to explain god, because in the bible contradicts everything science has told and proven to us. Nothing in science points to adam and eve, a giant flood, the red sea parting, or any sort of divine intervention. And how do i know this? Its because if you look at the millions of people to go to sacred statues that are known to "cure" people of their illness, not one of those "magical" cures has ever gave a blind man vision, it has never grown back any lost limbs, it has never given a mentally handicapped man/women the ability to think free and clearly like most... everything that this statue is "known" to have done can be explained my science... and not god. It can be explained by probability and not intervention.  \

Here's the problem about your statement about religion about wars, the pope himself has declared war before, he is the one who started the crusades, so saying that its not the BIBLES fault for all the blasphemy and complete and utter inhuman murder that occurs in it's fault, well i can't believe that. Because i've read the bible (more than once) and i've read the new and old testament, and the things i see in that book are things i wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

And let me say one last thing to you, my fellow brony friend, if i were to sacrifice myself for you, and for everyone in the world, i would never want to be worshipped or praised. If a man falls down the stares and breaks his back, i wouldn't help for the notion that " i'm ganna help because i want to go to heaven and get rewarded," i'm going to help because i love my fellow man/woman. 

Thanks =) 

I don't believe in everything the Bible says at all. I prefer sience in the way of explaining the world by far. I may be a christian, but I'm not stupid. Some things just doesn't make sense at all! Jesus walking on water... No, just no. Either that's just a metaphor of some kind or it's made up by humans. And some things are just... horrible, but then I think it's important to keep in mind that the book was written a long time ago, and back then people's morale were diffrent. And I choose to despite those parts, because they just don't seem to go along with Jesus, whom I love. All though, I still think that a God exists, and I still think that sience is the correct way of understanding God and his work. And honestly, at that point there's nothing that can prove or refute our diffrent statements. 

Yes, and the pope was a human. It was his fault. His interpretation of the Bible. Honestly I think that's what rule number 2 is made for (to not misuse your Gods name)... And I can't see how saying "Oh my God!" would be a sin at all. But to say "I declare war in the name of God!", THAT's to misuse it in my opinion.

I have to say that I'm impressed by you though. You seem to have thought about this a lot. Those who I usually have discussions with are atheists... but they haven't thought it through at ALL. Which makes me so pissed. It's just as stupid to be a Christian fundamentalist as being a atheist without thinking about it at all.

Sorry if my english got messed up by the way. I'm young and not from a english speaking country. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't believe in everything the Bible says at all. I prefer sience in the way of explaining the world by far. I may be a christian, but I'm not stupid. Some things just doesn't make sense at all! Jesus walking on water... No, just no. Either that's just a metaphor of some kind or it's made up by humans. And some things are just... horrible, but then I think it's important to keep in mind that the book was written a long time ago, and back then people's morale were diffrent. And I choose to despite those parts, because they just don't seem to go along with Jesus, whom I love. All though, I still think that a God exists, and I still think that sience is the correct way of understanding God and his work. And honestly, at that point there's nothing that can prove or refute our diffrent statements. 

Yes, and the pope was a human. It was his fault. His interpretation of the Bible. Honestly I think that's what rule number 2 is made for (to not misuse your Gods name)... And I can't see how saying "Oh my God!" would be a sin at all. But to say "I declare war in the name of God!", THAT's to misuse it in my opinion.

I have to say that I'm impressed by you though. You seem to have thought about this a lot. Those who I usually have discussions with are atheists... but they haven't thought it through at ALL. Which makes me so pissed. It's just as stupid to be a Christian fundamentalist as being a atheist without thinking about it at all.

Sorry if my english got messed up by the way. I'm young and not from a english speaking country.

I appreciate the compliment I'm sure I don't deserve, I tend to get kind of an asshole when I argue against religion.

If your arguing with dumb atheist the argument goes no where, like a Muslim arguing against a Christian.

I thoroughly respect your beliefs, but if all of these extremely hard to believe miracles are intact NOT true the what do we have? We have man named Jesus who did nothing but speak of truth and spread the false pretense thathe actually did something special. I can't believe that he did, if all of those Miri les didn't happen which I'm very sure they didn't, then men like Martin Luther king jr. And ghandi where more righteous and loyal than Jesus.

I'm on my phone right now so I can't type as much as I want to, but coming from a cynic ( myself) don't belie e in anything (even science) before you are thoroughly convinced!!!

Thanks.

I appreciate the compliment I'm sure I don't deserve, I tend to get kind of an asshole when I argue against religion.

If your arguing with dumb atheist the argument goes no where, like a Muslim arguing against a Christian.

I thoroughly respect your beliefs, but if all of these extremely hard to believe miracles are intact NOT true the what do we have? We have man named Jesus who did nothing but speak of truth and spread the false pretense thathe actually did something special. I can't believe that he did, if all of those Miri les didn't happen which I'm very sure they didn't, then men like Martin Luther king jr. And ghandi where more righteous and loyal than Jesus.

I'm on my phone right now so I can't type as much as I want to, but coming from a cynic ( myself) don't belie e in anything (even science) before you are thoroughly convinced!!!

Thanks.

Really? You're very polite. :)

Urgh, allright. Even though I have the highest grade possible in english, I have trouble understanding you right now. Buuuut, I think that what you are trying to ask me is how I can believe in the religion when I don't believe in some of the miracles? Or am I completly wrong?

What Jesus did that was special was his words. When he died on the cross he said, as you probably know "Father forgive them, they know not what they do!". That's why I love this religion. The forgiveness, the love and the tolerance that I experience in the Swedish Chruch. I feel important and loved when I'm there. Like it doesn't matter who I am or what I do, because Jesus will love me anyway. That's what I believe in. His words. Oh holy cow, I sound just like a dear friend of mine. I can't seem to be serious at the moment, pardon me.

I'm sorry, I feel so stupip right now, but what's a cynic? 

Really? You're very polite. smile.png

Urgh, allright. Even though I have the highest grade possible in english, I have trouble understanding you right now. Buuuut, I think that what you are trying to ask me is how I can believe in the religion when I don't believe in some of the miracles? Or am I completly wrong?

What Jesus did that was special was his words. When he died on the cross he said, as you probably know "Father forgive them, they know not what they do!". That's why I love this religion. The forgiveness, the love and the tolerance that I experience in the Swedish Chruch. I feel important and loved when I'm there. Like it doesn't matter who I am or what I do, because Jesus will love me anyway. That's what I believe in. His words. Oh holy cow, I sound just like a dear friend of mine. I can't seem to be serious at the moment, pardon me.

I'm sorry, I feel so stupip right now, but what's a cynic? 

A cynic can best be described as someone who doesn't hold out very much hope that anything in the future will be any good.

As for your love of religion, all I can say is; that's how the world should be, you shouldn't just feel that way when you're at church. I don't know if you know this but it's not normal for people to be mean and judge you all the time.

A cynic can best be described as someone who doesn't hold out very much hope that anything in the future will be any good.

As for your love of religion, all I can say is; that's how the world should be, you shouldn't just feel that way when you're at church. I don't know if you know this but it's not normal for people to be mean and judge you all the time.

That's not what a cynic is... That sounds depressing, all a cynic is is someone who doesn't believe in something until HE/SHE is convinced.

That's not what a cynic is... That sounds depressing, all a cynic is is someone who doesn't believe in something until HE/SHE is convinced.

Sorry but we're both wrong. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cynic

"a person who believes that only selfishness motivates human actions and who disbelieves in or minimizes selfless acts or disinterested points of view.

a person who shows or expresses a bitterly or sneeringly cynical attitude.

adjective"

What you're referring to is called skepticism.
Edited by Guest

According to the religion poll, about 31.5% of forum users.  That's excluding agnostics/apatheists/etc.

Bronies are an internet fanbase and the internet is quite strongly atheistic, so it's no surprise that the Bronydom is far more irreligious than the ordinary population.

Agree, but the world just isn't that kind to me. So going to the church just seems like a way to get through life. 

Thanks for explaining it to me. :)

Fellow atheist here. Just wanted to say that even if the idea of a superior being who tries to make people's lives better is completely ridiculous, people can still take some of the morals that religions teach and incorporate them into your life.

If this has been said already than I apologize; it seemed too painstaking having to read through 112 posts just for that.

I don't see what personal beliefs have to do with anything here.

Can't we all just get along?

I may be athiest, but that means very little as an indicator of what type of person I am.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

I feel like bringing this topic back to life. I was dragged to church today by my parents, and had a few hateful feelings towards the minister when he kept on saying "there is only one God" in his speach. Ughhh, the strange feelings. I was about to shout out "there aren't any gods" but I didn't want to pin myself into one of those ackward situations.

Edited by AtDawnTheySquee

Hi guys, another agnostic atheist here. Good to see that our thread and the Christian thread can coexist in peace, at least i haven't seen any major flame wars yet, hope it stays that way too. I'm still very much in the closet with my atheism, i haven't told my parents about it and probably never will unless i absolutely have to. It's better that they don't know. Some of my dearest friends are devout Christians too, i don't really know how they would react if i told them so i've decided not to mention it, unless they ask me about my views.

Here's a picture that i came across one day that really left a big impression on me. Something to think about for all believers. it's pretty big so i put it in spoilers:

hOdql1I.jpg

• Brohoof 1

I find the idea of faith to be fascinating. The way I see it, I don't believe in a god because I don't see why there needs to be any. Furthermore, there are myriad possible natures of divinity out there that could all be equally plausible to my ears, so I take Ockham's razor and assume that there's no divinity or spirituality.

Therefore, people who are religious are simply people who see things a bit differently from me, maybe are seeing something that I'm not. I'm only one perspective, so who am I to say that religion is bad?

I like to consider myself an agnostic. Although I'm not part of any particular religion, I haven't completely ignored the fact that a god may exist.

And as well as this, although I don't follow any particular religious scripts, I do believe that alot of them hold good values (e.g. the ten commandments). So I always try to hold the good values that religious scripts teach.

• Brohoof 1

Mememememememe!

I hate christians..Well, Christian extremists..If they try to change my thought on religion, that is.

I don't hate average christians though..I just believe in the law of Science.

Exactly... in fact the reason I became an atheist in the first place was because of all of the Christian Extremists and such who try to manipulate everything to what they see fit. It just annoys me when people try to jam religion down my throat...

Maybe this was posted by someone else here. ._. I'll admit I haven't read every post here. But, I think that this is a pretty good motto to go by for an atheist / agnostic.

- Not my words, but they apply to me (for the first two, hopefully at least! >_<):

Skepticism is my nature.

Free thought is my methodology.

Agnosticism is my conclusion.

Atheism is my opinion.

I'm not completely shut off about the idea of a higher deity or deities, but I've seen so many news reports, heard so many radio reports and read so many articles about all the bad stuff that has happened or is happening in the world that I just find it incredibly hard to believe that there is something watching over us with our best interests at heart. I suppose you could say that I was a Christian when I was younger (about 4-10 years old) but during the last two years at middle school, that was when I lost faith that there was a deity of some sort.

I, in fact, owe it to the brony community that I'm not a massive hater of all religions. This fandom taught me to be more open minded about other peoples opinions. I used to want to see all religions burned to the ground, I though that religion was the scourge of the earth, that it was holding back scientific development with their 'It's unholy' or 'It's against [insert preferred deity here]'s will'. But now I see how stupid those thoughts were and I respect other peoples opinions a lot more now and it's all thanks to you bronies.

Seeing as practically everyone in my family is and Atheist or an Agnostic (except for some of my older family members) nobody really minds what you believe, but if you go and preach your religion out loud to them then they will tear you apart like bloodhounds (not literally).

So to sum it all up I don't really believe in a deity/deities.

I'm an atheist here too, but I'm a closet one. I'll tell my story of my life when it comes to religion.

So, I've been a Christian many months ago, however religion didn't play a big role in my life though even when I was a Christian. At a certain time, I questioned the existence of god and other things the more I've known about science, the more I've read about the Bible, and such.

So then someone more than four months ago I became an agnostic.

And then once I have learned about the big bang, I became an atheist and sure about it.

If my parents knew about my atheism, they would pretty much hate me and try to "educate" me into converting back to Christianity.

I'm an atheist here too, but I'm a closet one. I'll tell my story of my life when it comes to religion.

So, I've been a Christian many months ago, however religion didn't play a big role in my life though even when I was a Christian. At a certain time, I questioned the existence of god and other things the more I've known about science, the more I've read about the Bible, and such.

So then someone more than four months ago I became an agnostic.

And then once I have learned about the big bang, I became an atheist and sure about it.

If my parents knew about my atheism, they would pretty much hate me and try to "educate" me into converting back to Christianity.

I'm also a closet atheist, if my parents found out about it they too would try to "educate" me back into Catholicism. I became angostic about a year ago, a few months after that I  finally declared myself an atheist.

(edited)

I'm also a closet atheist, if my parents found out about it they too would try to "educate" me back into Catholicism. I became angostic about a year ago, a few months after that I  finally declared myself an atheist.

So I see we have similarities of what would happen if we got out of the closet and as well a similar story.

However though, if they were to try and "educate" me into religion again because I told my parents I am an atheist, it would definitely be my dad who would mostly do the work of the "education", making me watch biased Christian videos.

My dad currently, at times makes me watch videos that are actually focused on facts for the watcher for me to learn, or to watch biased Christian videos, even though he thinks I am a Christian.

However though, I can understand why our parents would not like that we would be an atheist if they knew. They would be thinking: "Oh no! My kid is going to hell! I need to stop him!" or something similar.

Edited by ÷Zero

(edited)

So I see we have similarities of what would happen if we got out of the closet and as well a similar story.

However though, if they were to try and "educate" me into religion again because I told my parents I am an atheist, it would definitely be my dad who would mostly do the work of the "education", making me watch biased Christian videos.

My dad currently, at times makes me watch videos that are actually focused on facts for the watcher for me to learn, or to watch biased Christian videos, even though he thinks I am a Christian.

However though, I can understand why our parents would not like that we would be an atheist if they knew. They would be thinking: "Oh no! My kid is going to hell! I need to stop him!" or something similar.

I heard my dad talking smack about atheism once, that's why I'm too scared to tell my parents. I don't think they'll go as far as to disown me, but they definitely won't be happy. Edited by AtDawnTheySquee

I myself remain completely neutral on this topic

I do not like the term atheist because of the implications of hate towards everything. Nor am I religious in any way

I have got, as I like to say, a great many miles under my belt and have seen many things that would support both sides of the argument but none of it on either side was evidence enough to prove one way or another

In the end, we all follow our own paths but is entirely up to you as to whether the path is right or wrong

• Brohoof 1

I am an atheist but i think any therory of life could be true but frankly i really don't give a buck. i dont want to foucus my life around how i was created when i could live my life the fun way

I am an Athiest I have never believed in a god and was the most eager to voice my opinion which kind of got me in trouble at my Christian primary school but that didn't stop me science has out smarted the contradictory bible to many times now for a deity to be considered.