Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How many ATHEIST bronies out there?

I suppose technically I am an atheist. However, I have a strong interest in the beliefs of other religions, and I believe that gods exist in the minds of their believers. I fully support the right for people to worship whoever/however they choose, as long as their beliefs do not cause them to take actions that interfere with others negatively.

If I was to worship a god, it would be one of the classical ones, from Ancient Greece or Egypt. Because I love the mythology behind those pantheons.

I don't know where Tavi is getting this 'faith in science' stuff.

I merely meant that I put my faith in science rather than faith itself. I choose to believe in scientific theories because they have extensive evidence backing them up to the point of them being nigh irrefutable. Nobody questions the theory of gravity because it doesn't contradict some old book that millions of people have decided is important but the theories of evolution and the big bang have become controversial topics because they disprove aspects of holy scriptures. That is all I meant; atheists believe in science rather than religion.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really know whether I'm Theist or Atheist...

Due to where I'm from, my family is quite religious.

I was brought up with an Irish dad that was Catholic,

And a Welsh mum that was Christian.

And my aunt is German too so it's all really really confusing...

But I honestly don't know what I am!

My God is Vint Cerf, because he invented the Internet.

For a while I was Atheist, then I changed to Agnostic. I came to the personal conclusion that Atheism is almost as close-minded as religion in that it is still deciding that you have an answer to the question.

I know this is a late response and everything, but I feel like I should say something anyway.

Atheism isn't a closed minded view at all. Atheism doesn't say "God definitely doesn't exist", it's simply the lack of a belief in one. If asked whether or not a deity exists, many atheists, including myself, would say "I don't know". Atheism doesn't answer that question, it answers whether or not you personally believe in a deity. Atheists (not to be confused with anti-theists) don't know whether or not God actually exists.

It's basically a form of skepticism, which is actually a very open minded way of perceiving the world because it's essentially saying, "I'm willing to believe anything you throw at me... as long as you can provide evidence."

Agnosticism, which so many people like to identify themselves as, rarely sits as a stand-alone label. It isn't a halfway point between theism and atheism, and it isn't some kind of diet atheism. It's simply an understanding that we currently cannot prove or disprove the existence of a deity.

One could be an agnostic-atheist, (like myself) where you understand that we cannot currently prove or disprove the existence of God, but lack the belief in one, or one can be an agnostic-theist, which is self explanatory.  

Edited by Hansel
  • Brohoof 1

I am, but I don't care about religion at all, I'm not one of those atheists who has to argue with any statement regarding religion. It bothers me that so many atheists get so uppity about people saying stuff about their faith. Of course, theists do it just as much, if not more, it looks to me like there are a number of people who posted on this thread simply because they were offended by the mere mention of atheism, and take it as a critisism of their beliefs. I'm assuming this is also probably true of the christian thread.

Edited by James

Atheist. I see no reason to personally believe in God, not after all the negativity I hear from being religious. With that I mean stuff like hell, being gay, sins, etc. It would make me think that if I'd do something wrong, I'd go to hell. I am pretty sure a lot of people actually don't REALLY believe in a God, but think they do because they've been scared by the Bible's stories. I think it's fine to believe what you want, hell, I support that. It gives humans variety. I do REALLY dislike it when people are trying to convert me, though. I feel like they're trying to brainwash me sometimes, if I'm honest.

• Brohoof 1

• 8 months later...

Atheist,I don't really like religion and I'm pretty active on insulting it with my friends who are atheist too but if you're are religious and you have a good personality and you don't do stupid things for your religion then I'll like you.

Im an atheist, though the only problem i really have with religion is that it promotes the hate of (X) group. If religion didnt have that id be completely fine with it.

I am without question an atheist.  I won't delve far into my feelings on religion and religious persons, but I will say that I consider both Greek myth and Christian beliefs to be "mythology" (though I'm quite fond of the former).  I'm an atheist for a fairly straightforward reason: I don't believe.  Even as a child I questioned the religious beliefs of others.  I require evidence; preferably the kind rooted in provable fact and solid logic.  That being said, were Cthulhu real (and it's probably best that he isn't) I would SO worship him.  Don't want to be on his bad side, anyhow.

• 5 months later...

Me. I believe that science, critical thinking, questioning and rationality ground us. It is an essence of being human and one of our greatest achievements.

However, at the same time, I am in support of dissent. Simply put, as long as religions remain non-intrusive, I can tolerate it. While religion has proliferated many pointless wars and bloodshed over the millennia, there is no doubt that it has given us some good things, such as a greater psychological insight into ancient civilization, architecture and art.

I don't know if I'm alone on this but one of the greatest fallacies of us Atheists is that they believe they are all-knowing. That is why I believe that we must allow room for non-religious aspects such as spirituality and meditation. This humility, in conjunction with the acceptance of science is what makes us more human.

Edited by ShadowPhoenix
  • Brohoof 1

I consider myself to be nonreligious, yes. In the past I called myself an atheist, but that word seems to attract all the wrong ideas.

I'm not a theist at all. "Atheist" sounds too much like "a theist." So yeah... I am not a theist, and I am not an atheist. I'm nonreligious. That is all.

Edited by Regulus

Agnostic-atheist, and I'm not going to say that I support everyone's beliefs, because I don't. Saying I do would be a blatant lie. There's something wrong with every religion (atheism/agnosticism included) and it's cool if you're a part of one not my problem but I don't have to pretend to like it or tolerate it as long as I am polite.

*toots the hate train horn*

Edited by Rei
  • Brohoof 1

Agnostic-Atheist, and one who, while doesn't mind religion at its core, certainly is not a fan of it. I tend to just avoid it when possible, tolerate it when I can, and only get angry and defensive when they start attacking people like homosexuals just because they can and their book(s) say so.

Edited by Cyric
Removed reference to hidden post

I don't believe that there is any kind of god, but I can't prove that there isn't one either so I accept the possibility that there could be one. I guess that makes me agnostic?

In truth, I don't think about it much. Religion has just never been a part of my life in any significant way.

• Brohoof 1