Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people complain about "how bad music is today"?

Le Kvlt Dawn

I'm 15, I like today's music, I like yesterday's music too.

Now, what I don't understand is people my age who say things like, "I was born in the wrong generation, 80's music is better" or something like "I'm 14 and I'm sorry for what my generation did to music". What exactly did my generation do that was "SO BAD"? Please explain to me. 

I've seen people say "Back then artist wrote their own music". What the heck? They still do, and they always will. It's always been that way and always will.

Another one I've seen thrown around is "I'm X years old and I listen to Y". Your age is irelevant, now shut it.

Then, there's the "Music was so much better back then". Look, there's always been both good and bad music, there will always be both good and bad music, and it will always be like that, forever.

"But I hate what's on the radio, it's all Lady Gaga and Katy Perry mainstream pop crap". How about you stop listening to the radio and look for music somewhere else? 

"Good music is just so hard to find these days." No it's not, if I can find some, you can find some too. 

So now tell me, what is it exactly that you don't like about todays music? Please, just tell me. What's so "bad" about it?

Edited by AtDawnTheySquee
  • Brohoof 30

It's not today's music that I don't like. It is the music that is mainstream. I don't like how artist's sex appeal tends to be more important than the actual music. Also, most mainstream music is about sex, partying, etc. Auto-tune doesn't bother me though. Also, a lot of mainstream music is just plain lazy. Too much unneeded swearing as well in the lyrics.

• Brohoof 29

So now tell me, what is it exactly that you don't like about todays music? Please, just tell me. What's so "bad" about it.

Nothing.

This is another case of 'stuff was better back then' that shows up in a variety of places, like old movies, classic cars, antique furniture, and the like. Only the better made stuff lasts, so people forget about the massive amount of junk that was made at the same time.

Yes, houses that were built several hundred years ago and are still standing were better made than the average modern house. That's because all the badly built houses that were made at the same time fell down, leaving only the better stuff behind.

So, yes, the music still getting play from the 80's is better than the average modern music. 'cause all the bad stuff that flooded the airwaves back then has been justifiably junked or relegated to archives that nobody goes into.

Edited by Fhaolan
  • Brohoof 14

It is the music that is mainstream.

It's always usually been bad, there's been few exceptions though, like The Cure, Nirvana, Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, Alice in Chains etc.

I don't like how artist's sex appeal tends to be more important than the actual music.

It's always been like that, look at the 80's.

Also, most mainstream music is about sex, partying, etc.

It's always been like that!!!

Also, a lot of mainstream music is just plain lazy

How many times do I have to tell you? 

I will say that I disagree with you in some parts. 

People disagree with how music is today because they don't feel a connection with this music. Some raised on older music by time of birth or parents choice. As a whole I would say that most modern music is quite terrible. People dislike this generation of music because the crap on the mainstream radio is mindless, devaluing, and catchy. (worst feeling is when a bad song gets stuck in your head)

I am not saying all modern music is well... terrible. I am only saying that good music from this day is a little bit harder to find. People who grew up on some older songs may listen to a little bit of modern radio and not want to divulge any deeper to seek out good artists.

People say their age because they (as I) are ashamed of this generations GENERAL decisions.

It is hard to convince someone to like this generation when the radio is sadly what's popular :P

I agree that age shouldn't matter, however it is for a different reason.

I am 16 and love everything from classical to drum and bass (besides country and modern pop/rap)

Hope I made sense to someone besides myself (lol)

• Brohoof 1

So, yes, the music still getting play from the 80's is better than the average modern music. 'cause all the bad stuff that flooded the airwaves back then has been justifiably junked or relegated to archives that nobody goes into.

I guess that's a good way to look at it. They compeatley forget about the bad of yesterday and only pay atention to the good. Makes sense.

I am only saying that good music from this day is a little bit harder to find. 

No it's not, it's VERY easy. Especially with the internet. AKA this magical invention that OUR generation uses a lot.

As a whole I would say that most modern music is quite terrible. 

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no.

• Brohoof 1

I don't find it bad it is that, I like brony music more than music on the radio. I am pretty much addicted to brony music, but that is just me. Besides most music now a day is a really crappy love song because our generation puts out a shit ton of love songs. And I am tired of love songs. In my defense I don't really argue about how horrible music today is. I just go with flow.

I guess that's a good way to look at it. They compeatley forget about the bad of yesterday and only pay atention to the good. Makes sense.

No it's not, it's VERY easy. Especially with the internet. AKA this magical invention that OUR generation uses a lot.

Not all modern music is bad. Like said above somewhere, there is some good music. But the mainstream radio is terrible, mindless, etc. And I realize it is easy to find music. Just most of it is bad.

• Brohoof 2

But the mainstream radio is terrible, mindless, etc.

Dude, the radio has always like that. It's for sheep.

And I realize it is easy to find music. Just most of it is bad.

No... I've found plenty, and I mean PLENTY of music that I like. And every one in a while, I come across a band or album that becomes a new favorite of mine.

I like brony music more than music on the radio. I am pretty much addicted to brony music, but that is just me.
 I'm not a big fan of brony music, but it's good that you've found something you like.

Besides most music now a day is a really crappy love song because our generation puts out a shit ton of love songs.

There's always been crappy love songs. Just look at the power ballads from the 80's. 

In my defense I don't really argue about how horrible music today is.

But it's not horrible ):

I present, laziness and logic! People can and some people don't. What I was saying was that... example? If I were to play you "you a stupid hoe" would you want to look any related music up like say this decade. The radio (internet or frequency) is usually what gets people to like or dislike even entire genres. Equality in music is impossible. 

Music is a personal preference. I can like Daft Punk, but that wouldn't force you to like it. You could like King Crimson and it wouldn't make me like them any more. I can like Pendulum, Bach, Radiohead, The Offspring, and guess what it matters to you. In my honest opinion, this was indeed a meaningless comment.

• Brohoof 1

I'm just going to throw my opinion into the blender of society.

Every era of music has a different style, the 40's had Big Band, the 50's had Rock & Roll, the 60's & 70's were groovy, the 80's had their synths and hair bands, the 90's were the 90's, etc. I personally do not find this current era's style appealing. I feel that many of the bands today sound much too similar and that there has been an overall decline in creativity. Now don't get me wrong, there are a few new songs that I do enjoy, but many of them emulate the style of an earlier musical era, which I do suppose ties into the decline in creativity that I mentioned earlier. 

What it really boils down to is personal preference. I find my enjoyment in the oldies, but you may find it elsewhere. No one has truly got a "wrong" preference I suppose, although there is some pretty tasteless stuff out there. It's just whatever man, you do what you do, but don't force it upon others.

• Brohoof 4

While there certainly will be bias towards what has been around for a long time and has already become much beloved, I do slightly understand where these people are coming from. The most popular songs in the world are relatively unenjoyable most of the time to me (I do occasionally get addicted to one of them :P). I understand being frustrated at having to scrounge and search for music that you can relate to. However, YouTube comments like "I'm 13 and AC/DC is better than One Direction" are nothing but blatant fishing for upvotes, and anyone who says that all modern music is terrible is selling short literally thousands of talented musicians, and is being laughably closed-minded.  

• Brohoof 4

I don't find it horrible I just don't find it very appealing to me whatsoever sorry if I acted like one of the people that you hate for hating today's music

Since that's your opinion, I can respect that. Just don't bash an entier era of music, ever. 

I personally do not find this current era's style appealing. I feel that many of the bands today sound much too similar and that there has been an overall decline in creativity. Now don't get me wrong, there are a few new songs that I do enjoy, but many of them emulate the style of an earlier musical era, which I do suppose ties into the decline in creativity that I mentioned earlier. 
Decline in creativity? That's bonkers, if anything there's an increase in creativity.

It's just whatever man, you do what you do, but don't force it upon others.
Are you accusing me of meing an eletist? I'm just trying to shed some light.dry.png

While there certainly will be bias towards what has been around for a long time and has already become much beloved, I do slightly understand where these people are coming from. The most popular songs in the world are relatively unenjoyable most of the time to me (I do occasionally get addicted to one of them tongue.png). I understand being frustrated at having to scrounge and search for music that you can relate to. However, YouTube comments like "I'm 13 and AC/DC is better than One Direction" are nothing but blatant fishing for upvotes, and anyone who says that all modern music is terrible is selling short literally thousands of talented musicians, and is being laughably closed-minded.  

Thank you... someone who understands.

• Brohoof 1

I think it's bad because science:

http://mlpforums.com/topic/27888-pop-music-scientifically-proven-to-suck/

(the thread is tongue-in-cheek, by the way)

A lot of the stuff played on the radio right now is annoying as hell. Of course, looking back at what was on the radio when I was younger, most of that sucked, too. I can remember a few songs I like, and a few more that I feel nostalgic about, but obviously the entire music scene was not made up of those few songs; there's a ton of shit I forgot about because I didn't like it.

As for personal reasons that I dislike most of the modern mainstream is that I like more technical stuff, with deeper lyrics than you can find in today's mainstream, and autotune annoys the hell out of me. Also, what's with all the non-rap artists making non-rap songs and then feature rappers in them for no reason?

Anyway, I think @@Fhaolan said it best: old music seems better because we only remember the really good stuff.

Decline in creativity? That's bonkers, if anything there's an increase in creativity.

Are you accusing me of meing an eletist? I'm just trying to shed some light.img-1397108-1-dry.png

Whoa there buddy, cool your jets. Let's clear some things up here.

1. That statement on creativity is what we in the sensible world like to call an "opinion". An "opinion" is a magical concept that refers to an individual's personal beliefs that should never be forced upon anybody else.

2. When I used "you" in that sentence, I was not referring to you specifically, but rather to any person who believes  that their opinion is the definitive right and that everyone else should follow that ideology. Now, I could go into a long lecture about how you are being one of those people for telling me that my opinion on creativity was wrong, but I have better things to do with my time. Don't be so quick to assume the worst in people.

Edited by Jimmy Carter
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)
1. That statement on creativity is what we in the sensible world like to call an "opinion". An "opinion" is a magical concept that refers to an individual's personal beliefs that should never be forced upon anybody else.

I know, I'm sorry. But don't you think it's a bit harsh to say that people's creativity is declining?

I think it's bad because science:

http://mlpforums.com/topic/27888-pop-music-scientifically-proven-to-suck/

(the thread is tongue-in-cheek, by the way)

A lot of the stuff played on the radio right now is annoying as hell. Of course, looking back at what was on the radio when I was younger, most of that sucked, too. I can remember a few songs I like, and a few more that I feel nostalgic about, but obviously the entire music scene was not made up of those few songs; there's a ton of shit I forgot about because I didn't like it.

As for personal reasons that I dislike most of the modern mainstream is that I like more technical stuff, with deeper lyrics than you can find in today's mainstream, and autotune annoys the hell out of me. Also, what's with all the non-rap artists making non-rap songs and then feature rappers in them for no reason?

Anyway, I think @@Fhaolan said it best: old music seems better because we only remember the really good stuff.

Well you know the old saying, "the grass is always greener on the other side".

Edited by AtDawnTheySquee

I have a couple points that have not been mentioned here. If you look at what "today's music" is represented by, a prime example would be TV shows like The Voice. The problem is, dare I say, none of those contestants have any actual talent? I can't hear any of them ever singing in key. They all just sound horrible to me. And yet music producers fawn over "artists" like this. But it doesn't matter if they can't sing in key, because you have AutoTune to cover that up. Thus the people with real talent get overshadowed because it's easier to polish crap than it is to find actual quality. It's not a lack of talented people, it's the laziness of the industry that's the problem.

Also look to the Loudness War for another answer (Google has some fascinating articles on the subject). Albums today are engineered to be "louder" than everyone else's because that's what people supposedly expect, and thus prefer to buy. The problem with that is you lose all dynamic range and everything has the same volume (think of how the volume changes as a symphony progresses). If I listen to music like that, I actually find myself playing with the volume dial, imagining that someone actually engineered the recording to sound dynamic, progressing, and eliciting emotion as opposed to merely trying to out-blast the competition.

So for me, it's more of a technical thing. Then again, I'm a very old school, analog-loving musician, so my opinion could be biased.

Edited by Questio and Ashling
  • Brohoof 1

it's far easier to voice your opinion and say that music today sucks because of the steady rise of social media and the internet, allowing music in general to have a much wider spread than it would have, say, 10 years ago. this is of course great for smaller, independent artists because you could come from anywhere in the world, but as long as you have decent internet access, everyone in the world with a internet connection themself can hear you.

of course, this also means that giant corps and the pop industry has a MUCH easier way to advertise their buckets of garbage at ya.

the idea in general have always existed, though. every generation has their own pile of suckishness to them. just that right now it's easier to spot out the garbage from the diamonds than it was before.

On 4/23/2013 at 7:32 AM, Questio and Ashling said:

I have a couple points that have not been mentioned here. If you look at what "today's music" is represented by, a prime example would be TV shows like The Voice. The problem is, dare I say, none of those contestants have any actual talent? I can't hear any of them ever singing in key. They all just sound horrible to me. And yet music producers fawn over "artists" like this. But it doesn't matter if they can't sing in key, because you have AutoTune to cover that up. Thus the people with real talent get overshadowed because it's easier to polish crap than it is to find actual quality. It's not a lack of talented people, it's the laziness of the industry that's the problem.

Also look to the Loudness War for another answer (Google has some fascinating articles on the subject). Albums today are engineered to be "louder" than everyone else's because that's what people supposedly expect, and thus prefer to buy. The problem with that is you lose all dynamic range and everything has the same volume (think of how the volume changes as a symphony progresses). If I listen to music like that, I actually find myself playing with the volume dial, imagining that someone actually engineered the recording to sound dynamic, progressing, and eliciting emotion as opposed to merely trying to out-blast the competition.

So for me, it's more of a technical thing. Then again, I'm a very old school, analog-loving musician, so my opinion could be biased.

why in god's name would any music producer find a singer that can't sing in key? they're looking for appeal, singing voice, and being able to perform on-stage without getting nervous as shit about it. if they were looking for people that couldn't sing for shit, the people who hired them would probably hit the backdoor just as fast as the artists they create.

fuck the loudness war to death though. i prefer the dynamics in my music to remain. if i wanted it to be loud enough, i'd simply, you know, turn it up.

Edited by Viscra Maelstrom
  • Brohoof 2

why in god's name would any music producer find a singer that can't sing in key? they're looking for sex appeal, singing voice, and being able to perform on-stage without getting nervous as shit about it. if they were looking for people that couldn't sing for shit, the people who hired them would probably hit the backdoor just as fast as the artists they create.

Ideally, singing voice would take priority over everything else you mentioned. The problem is that the other stuff tends to win out over the music itself. I personally don't like concerts or live recordings for the very reason that a talented musician does not necessarily mean a talented performer in public. For someone to have exceptional talent in both fields is extremely rare, so you usually have to just pick one or the other. I guess it just depends on personal priorities.

Edited by Questio and Ashling

I know, I'm sorry. But don't you think it's a bit harsh to say that people's creativity is declining?

Not at all. In fact, I could extend my criticism to say that talent in general is declining. With the advent of auto-tune and digital editing, one does not necessarily have to be a talented singer/musician to become popular. However, the same was not the case for the older artists, they had to have good sound from the get go, otherwise they would not become popular, except for "Rush" (see, I can make jabs at the old bands, too).

To which you could reply: While digital editing does allow for some untalented people to become famous, the majority of today's artists did not achieve their level of success through cheap tricks such as this.

Here's how this whole conversation should have gone:

Person #1: "I like new music."

Person #2: "I don't really dig the new stuff, I much prefer old music."

Person #1: "Cool."

Person #2: "You wanna go grab a beer?"

Person #1: "Sure, buddy."

• Brohoof 7

Here's how this whole conversation should have gone:

Person #1: "I like new music."

Person #2: "I don't really dig the new stuff, I much prefer old music."

Person #1: "Cool."

Person #2: "You wanna go grab a beer?"

Person #1: "Sure, buddy."

THIS is the essence of music. Personal enjoyment. While we can all have our own opinions, if everyone thought the same way, this place would be pretty damn boring. Now, how's about we all go for coffee? biggrin.png

Besides, there are plenty of folks on either side of the argument to ensure that neither type of music is going away anytime soon. happy.png

• Brohoof 4

THIS is the essence of music. Personal enjoyment. While we can all have our own opinions, if everyone thought the same way, this place would be pretty damn boring. Now, how's about we all go for coffee? img-1397161-1-biggrin.png

Besides, there are plenty of folks on either side of the argument to ensure that neither type of music is going away anytime soon. img-1397161-2-happy.png

THIS PERSON GETS IT.

I could really go for some coffee right now. I do believe I shall take you up on that offer, my good sir or madam.

• Brohoof 1

Not at all. In fact, I could extend my criticism to say that talent in general is declining. With the advent of auto-tune and digital editing, one does not necessarily have to be a talented singer/musician to become popular. However, the same was not the case for the older artists, they had to have good sound from the get go, otherwise they would not become popular, except for "Rush" (see, I can make jabs at the old bands, too).

That's ridiculous, there are EXTREMELY talented modern bands. For example bands like Opeth and Between the Buried and Me use technical playing and mix an aggressive sound with a smooth sound. Talent isn't on a decline.

That's ridiculous, there are EXTREMELY talented modern bands. For example bands like Opeth and Between the Buried and Me use technical playing and mix an aggressive sound with a smooth sound. Talent isn't on a decline.

Jimmy Carter foresaw that you would use this counterargument. That is why he included it in his post. Jimmy Carter did so to demonstrate the futility of such argument. He then included the proper procedure for dealing with such situations. Jimmy Carter does not enjoy having to explain his actions to others.

• Brohoof 2