Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people complain about "how bad music is today"?

Le Kvlt Dawn

I don't judge musics from its date. I judge it from the quality. The problem is, more than half musics I can find these days are mainstream, and is similar to each other. Listen carefully to the back sound. Dug dug tak dug dug tak. Always similar to that, just with different tempo.

Also, the theme. Most music these days are about... well, just around that. Speaking of music, the role of instruments is important as well. Some musics these days use instruments to make your feet shuffle, not to really distribute the feel, the idea, the story of the song. It's just a set of funky tones, and while you're dancing with it, the singer opens his or her lips and say words. Not all of them though. I do find some new musics that are good.

Costume is a different thing, so is the musician's lifestyle.

• Brohoof 1

It's not all of today's music, it's just the mainstream pop music such as Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj, etc.

Most pop music today is very...well...bad. I can't really explain it any better right now, I just woke up :/

The 90's were perhaps the worst decade for music ever.

To be honest, the 90's is my favorite decade in music. There was huge variety in stuff coming out of the 90's. Some of my favorite bands were from the 90's; Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Sonic Youth, and also metal acts such as Death, Burzum, Electric Wizard,etc. Even Opeth and Children of Bodom started in the mid to late 90's. There's also a few rap songs that I like from the 90's. But whatever, that's just my opinion.

it's not today's music that I don't like. It is the music that is mainstream. I don't like how artist's sex appeal tends to be more important than the actual music. Also, most mainstream music is about sex, partying, etc.

that's just it really...most hip hop artists rap about drugs, alcohol, sex and such...then you've got artists that throw racial slurs around, like it's just common language...people like Nikki Manji, who raps about anything really...even tampons. people say, she doesn't have the looks, or the voice talent, but she's still huge, and that makes people wonder if her fans are tone deaf, or something.

• Brohoof 1

Because your generation further embraced what Queen did, wherein they care about how words sound and not their actual meaning. Pop music in general is just horrible, simple, and not complex enough. Basically, the music is dumbed down, as opposed to bands that actually sing about subjects that matter in the real world.

It's not all of today's music, it's just the mainstream pop music such as Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj, etc.

Most pop music today is very...well...bad. I can't really explain it any better right now, I just woke up :/

Pop music has always been bad though. But you're right, it just the stuff on the radio that's bad. I think it's always been like this.

First off, I don't hate pop music. There are some artists I can't stand, like One Direction or Cher Lloyd. However, I think that most of the people who say "music was better back in 19XX" just listens to what is still around. Let's face it, the mainstream stuff from the 70's that was crap wouldn't still be around almost 40 years later.

As for claiming that music now is so much more homogenous than previous decades, that's not necessarily true. I did a review of the entire 1981 year-end top 100 songs. Over half of them were either a break-up song or a love song. I'm not saying today's pop songs don't fall into patterns, mind you. But pop songs from all over the course of Billboard charts fall into patterns.

Also, if you really think hip-hop is nothing but people bragging about money/women/thugging/whatever, take a listen to "Thrift Shop". Actually, do that anyways. That song is freaking hilarious.

I can't speak for anypony else, but my personal hatred for today's mainstream music stems from the fact that over half of it is totally electronic, zero musicianship employed. Allow me to count my legitimate gripes:

Rather than spend a couple days in the studio to record live instruments, people sit behind looping programs to fabricate flawless synth tracks in mere hours. [insert "No, Skrillex, a Macbook is not an instrument." meme here.] If electronica is what people are into, that's fine. But synthetic music is currently flooding the music industry in the same way that FPS games are flooding the video game industry. Why not give something else a chance to shine? Two words: cash cow.

Rather than practice their pitch and breathing techniques, singers can now get away with atrocious singing thanks to the monument to laziness known as Auto Tune. Not to mention the grand excuse they use, "But teh robot voice is part o' mah artistic expression!" Artistic expression my left butt cheek. The handful of pop musicians who don't need Auto Tune, such as Adele (even if her accompaniment is painfully trite), have my undying respect.

And while bad lyrics have always been around, especially in pop music, one listen to Nicki Minaj singing "Boobs, boobs, boobs, boobs..." or Rihanna singing "Come on, rude boy boy, is you big enough?" and I instantly know that NO hack lyricist from pop culture's past could possibly match that level of shallowness. Past pop lyrics were corny, sure, but you at least got a kick out of them. But the lowest-common-denominator nature of today's lyrical abortions makes me feel like my intelligence is being insulted just by listening to them.

And then there's how downhill actual production values have gone throughout the course of the '90s, where they remain in a trough to this very day. Examine the waveforms of a classic song from, say, Led Zeppelin. You will see dynamic variety - differences in volume levels throughout the course of the song. Examine the waveforms of a pop song? You see a brick wall. No variation. Loudness just for the sake of loudness. Pop music isn't the only guilty party in this regard, but it sure as hell isn't doing anything to improve production values.

And there you have my reasons why I complain about today's (pop) music. You are free to agree or disagree with my points, but know that I'm not judging anyone's taste in music here. I'm merely judging the obscene amount of corner cutting that goes on behind the music, is all.

• Brohoof 2

To be honest, the 90's is my favorite decade in music.

A-HA! He does like older music! So tell me, why did this entire thing start in the first place? What is the purpose in bashing each other's musical tastes? 

Edited by Jimmy Carter

I find that not all music nowadays is bad. You just have to find the right artist that suits your musical taste. I like a wide variety of music genres and I dislike just as many genres if not more. What I find is that there's a big difference between what kind of music is mainstream now as opposed to what was mainstream back then. I'll give you an example of two current songs that could make you lose all faith in the music industry and then feel like the music industry was "saved." But either way these sorts of artists exist, and you just have to choose what you think is good to listen to:

It's cool if you're into this song ^ but it's not my style.

This song is more my style, you may not like it, but I do.

We're all entitled to our opinions, you just have to find the thing that gets your favourable opinion.

A-HA! He does like older music! So tell me, why did this entire thing start in the first place? What is the purpose in bashing each other's musical tastes?

Criticism of certain music doesn't necessarily mean criticizing the musical taste of those who like to listen to said music, I don't think. As much as I hate most pop music and the cash-ins who produce it, it's fine by me if such music happens to tickle your fancy.

In fact, good on you for being able to find something enjoyable in a style of music that those like myself cannot; it means you have one less thing in this world to bitch about, whereas we have one more thing.  biggrin.png

I guess some people aren't used to today's music or they just think that it shouldn't be compared to the old music we used to hear.

I really don't know at all but, a lot of people have different tastes after all.

I said in my OP that I like both old and new music. I just find people who only listen to old music and bash newer music just because it's newer annoying, like you.

I said in my OP that I like both old and new music. I just find people who only listen to old music and bash newer music just because it's newer annoying, like you.

I disagree with the fact that it is "Annoying" because everyone is entitled to an opinion.Also it works both ways younger people say that older music is terrible. When really all music is good if you can connect with it

Yes i am one of those people (come at me bro) but it is soley my opinion, I prefer 80's and what not, but mostly i idolize David Bowie, the one musician that i have seen that I can tell the amount of passion he put into his music. (This is just me) But yes today music is.... well.. a lot of the "new" and "Cool" music is made in front of a computer with no real passion. 

Hey! I've got a good idea, just here me out on this it is a really good idea. Let's all just agree that everyone has an opinion move on and listen to some Jefferson Starship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ctuqceo390o 

Also in the 80s they movies I think were better, there was no swag or yolo, mtv actually showed music video over teen mom and I think there was more tallent, I feel that everything today has just gotten lazy, wether it is music or tv

Edited by Brohoof117
  • Brohoof 2

Mainstream music in the 80's for example is better than in modern time because it had an underground edge to it that bubbled up from the underground. When modern music is so polished, predictable, autotuned, and lacking in diversity and edge it does make it hard to enjoy the mainstream. There is good underground music (although a lot of it is flavor of the month by replaceable artists) but personally "dubstep" and mainstream music just don't do much for me.

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 1

Hey! I've got a good idea, just here me out on this it is a really good idea. Let's all just agree that everyone has an opinion move on and listen to some Jefferson Starship

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ctuqceo390o

Also in the 80s they movies I think were better, there was no swag or yolo, mtv actually showed music video over teen mom and I think there was more tallent, I feel that everything today has just gotten lazy, wether it is music or tv

You want everyone to shake hands and stop arguing but, you're being biased by posting an older song. As for what you said about MTV, MTV used to play music videos that were mostly pop. It's not like they always played Queen all day.

*facepalms*

Must we really go over this again? What I did was called satire. It is where one presents a totally extreme and unreasonable argument solely for the purpose of making a point. A great example of this would be Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal", read that when you get the chance. When it comes to music, I, truly, in reality, not being sarcastic this time, am able to find something worth listening to in almost any generation of music. I enjoy everything from The Chordettes to The Gorillaz to Golden Earring to The Black Keys. What annoys me are people who ask other people for a viewpoint and then proceed to tell that person all the ways that their viewpoint is wrong *coughs*that was a hint*coughs*. If one is not willing to accept or at least allow others their own opinions, one deserves a foot in the ass.  Don't be that guy, man...

• Brohoof 1

*facepalms*

Must we really go over this again? What I did was called satire. It is where one presents a totally extreme and unreasonable argument solely for the purpose of making a point. A great example of this would be Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal", read that when you get the chance. When it comes to music, I, truly, in reality, not being sarcastic this time, am able to find something worth listening to in almost any generation of music. I enjoy everything from The Chordettes to The Gorillaz to Golden Earring to The Black Keys. What annoys me are people who ask other people for a viewpoint and then proceed to tell that person all the ways that their viewpoint is wrong *coughs*that was a hint*coughs*. If one is not willing to accept or at least allow others their own opinions, one deserves a foot in the ass. Don't be that guy, man...

That's it, I'm not going to argue with you anymore. If you enjoy the bands you mentioned, good for you, I don't care. Listen to whatever makes you happy, I don't care.

I personally don't mind any music as long as the singer(s) (if the music contains singing) actually knows how to sing and as long as the lyric is acceptable. I suppose that counts out quite a lot of rap songs, I despise the amount of sex, violence glorification and the human-objectification those lyrics tend to contain.

If you enjoy the bands you mentioned, good for you, I don't care. Listen to whatever makes you happy, I don't care.

Exactly the way you should have felt from the beginning and exactly the way I have felt all my life. That point right there was the one I have been trying to make from the get go. If someone is telling you that their music is better or complaining about how new music sucks, just nod, say "cool, good for you" and go on with your life. Who knows? You may get beer out of it.

But really, do read that story by Jonathan Swift. It's really funny, in a slightly twisted kind of way.

And please don't think of me as an ass... I was merely attempting to illustrate a point in an incredibly convoluted manner.

Edited by Jimmy Carter

You want everyone to shake hands and stop arguing but, you're being biased by posting an older song. As for what you said about MTV, MTV used to play music videos that were mostly pop. It's not like they always played Queen all day.

I understand that, They not only played Queen they played A-Ha, Hall and Oates, Buggles, Journey, Bon Jovi, Scorpions, Michael Jackson, Starship and so much more! Just because I like Queen and mention it in my post doesn't mean I associate it with everything. Also I just felt like posting the song just because its awesome and I was in the mood :)

Edited by Brohoof117

When people are complaining about how bad music is today they are usually talking about "mainstream" music or modern pop and I am inclined to agree that it indeed does suck. The problem is not that there is a lack of talent, it is that the public has been so dumbed down and the bar for what passes as good has been lowered so much that the muck has unfortunately been driven up to the top while you have to dig deeper and deeper to find the quality stuff. So situations where "artists" don't write their own songs and where they lip sinc instead of actually singing is becoming more and more common place and it annoys and infuriates me to no end. Most of the "mainstream" songs today are so boring they put me to sleep, they sound almost exactly the same.

• Brohoof 1

Well then because I don't wanna get myself neck deep in this screwed up argument you guys are having, I might as well post some recommendations for great lesser known artists from today.

Flying Lotus: Really great experimental IDM electronic. I own "Until The Quiet Comes" and it's a really beautiful album, not only that Thom Yorke from Radiohead is one of the many guest singers on this album.

The Knife: Another really great experimental electronic act. They've definitely got creativity and the right mindset to step outside of the original.

Death Grips: Yep, more experimental bands, except this time being an Industrial Hip-Hop band, really great stuff, even if you're not into rap/hip-hop, they're still worth a listen.

Converge: These guys really define the underground Hardcore music scene very well. Amazingly well done lyrics thrown on top of heavier riffs and plus Jacob's screaming brings out the anger-filed emotion that Converge has even more well.

Opeth: Though these guys aren't the most lesser-known band out there, they aren't exactly popular or mainstream. Definitely one of the most unique Death Metal bands out there, if you don't like Death Metal vocals then Opeth are a great start for you. It's nice when a Death Metal band does more than growling throughout the entire song.

Boards of Canada: These guys are probably the most elusive musical duo out there, though their music is without a doubt one of the most unique sounds I've ever heard in musical history, I don't know anyone who can sound like BoC do. One of the greatest bands within the IDM scene.

This is only a small list compared to all of the bands that I could of wrote down.

• Brohoof 1