Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why do people complain about "how bad music is today"?

Le Kvlt Dawn

(edited)

I understand that, They not only played Queen they played A-Ha, Hall and Oates, Buggles, Journey, Bon Jovi, Scorpions, Michael Jackson, Starship and so much more! Just because I like Queen and mention it in my post doesn't mean I associate it with everything. Also I just felt like posting the song just because its awesome and I was in the mood smile.png

I can't change your taste in music but if you want I can recomend you some good modern bands. Maybe I can help extend your horizon a bit.

Edited by AtDawnTheySquee

I can't change your taste in music but if you want I can recomend you some good modern bands. Maybe I can help extend your horizon a bit.

Alright just please no dubstep or rap. to be far I have listened to both of those and I can not get into them. I basically listen to rock music and some metal

Idk it's probably partly got to do with nostalgia, along with other things.

I personally am 16 so I'm of this generation and I like some newer music yes, and I also like some older music, honestly what time period it's from is totally irrelevant information Infact I hardly care to know or check most of the time.

My attitude to what I listen to is if I like it, then I listen to it. I don't really care otherwise :P.

Alright just please no dubstep or rap. to be far I have listened to both of those and I can not get into them. I basically listen to rock music and some metal

Since you said metal, I'll give you some metal. (Keep in mind, I don't consider stuff like Bon Jovi metal.) 

Here's Children of Bodom, they're one of my favorite bands.

And here's Opeth, another band that I really like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8atiEPs0bQ

So what do you think?

Since you said metal, I'll give you some metal. (Keep in mind, I don't consider stuff like Bon Jovi metal.) 

Here's Children of Bodom, they're one of my favorite bands.

And here's Opeth, another band that I really like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8atiEPs0bQ

So what do you think?

I actually thought that was pretty good. I sort of get a Van Halen vibe out of it. I do like this but I think I got hard rock and metal mixed up because I wasn't thinking the lyrics to be like that. However I really like the instrumentals 

I actually thought that was pretty good. I sort of get a Van Halen vibe out of it. I do like this but I think I got hard rock and metal mixed up because I wasn't thinking the lyrics to be like that. However I really like the instrumentals 

Well I'm glad you liked it. Maybe now you'll look for more bands to listen to instead of complaing about how "awful" music is today. Oh and BTW, both songs are death metal (just so you know what genre they are). 

Well I'm glad you liked it. Maybe now you'll look for more bands to listen to instead of complaing about how "awful" music is today. Oh and BTW, both songs are death metal (just so you know what genre they are). 

Ah what the heck, my mind is feeling rather open at the moment, let's see if you could find something for me with your vast knowledge of obscure artists. The metal bus stops at "heavy" for me, so I didn't really find the two previous songs groovy.

Edited by Jimmy Carter

The metal bus stops at "heavy" for me, so I didn't really find those other two songs groovy.

Picky, picky, picky well arent you? Maybe you might be into doomy and sludgey stuff, try these and tell me what you think of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U3aqeId3I8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGNYHqqaWTQ

Picky, picky, picky well arent you? Maybe you might be into doomy and sludgey stuff, try these and tell me what you think of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U3aqeId3I8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGNYHqqaWTQ

Not really diggin' the first, but the second's alright I suppose. I wouldn't mind listening to it if it came on the radio (not that it ever will) but they're really both still too heavy for my personal music preferences. Doom and sludge isn't usually my thing either, although exceptions are always waiting to be made.

Not really diggin' the first, but the second's alright I suppose. I wouldn't mind listening to it if it came on the radio (not that it ever will) but they're really both still too heavy for my personal music preferences. Doom and sludge isn't usually my thing either, although exceptions are always waiting to be made.

Doom and sludge are too heavy for your personal preference? Well, there's black metal. Personaly, I love it but, many people can't handle it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkajyWWDiBc

There's also power metal, which I'm not a huge fan of. But, you might like it. It's a lot "softer" and "happier".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiZoGwXcP50

Hmmm......Today's music. I actually have to agree with atdawntheysquee. There has always been shity music(disco) and there always will be shity music(Bieber). Well the 60's 70's 80's had great bands such as the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, and U2, the 90's and 00's have had a plethora of good bands such as the Goo Goo Dolls, Pearl Jam, Linkin Park, Coldplay, Snow Patrol, etc (Its a long list). I actually get the feeling that music has been getting steadily better as people have become freer to express themselves. (except the last couple years, but I'm hopeful that a new good group will emerge that I can follow.) 

I also agree that if you can't find good music, then your looking in the wrong places.

Wrong= TV, Radio

Right= THE INTERNET, this is what is was made for.

Country music will always suck and metal is just mmm'k.

Not at all. In fact, I could extend my criticism to say that talent in general is declining. With the advent of auto-tune and digital editing, one does not necessarily have to be a talented singer/musician to become popular. However, the same was not the case for the older artists, they had to have good sound from the get go, otherwise they would not become popular, except for "Rush" (see, I can make jabs at the old bands, too).

I think you have some good points, but as its already been stated you don't have to be popular to be good. Its like saying everything that is popular is good, and everything that is good is popular. My case example: Staind, they are only really popular inside there genre but they are really good, album=Break the Cycle, 14 Shades of Grey, etc. (it goes on) Also Snow Patrol, who in my opinion, sound better live. On a lighter note, that's a cool pic you have, Dark Side of Moon!!! love that album.

Anyway that's my thoughts about this subject. Also i'm 18 for any that really care. Oh and bananas!!\

Edited by Conbon

Doom and sludge are too heavy for your personal preference? Well, there's black metal. Personaly, I love it but, many people can't handle it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkajyWWDiBc

There's also power metal, which I'm not a huge fan of. But, you might like it. It's a lot "softer" and "happier".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiZoGwXcP50

#1 was great, until the vocals started. Few things in life are quite as terrifying as being screamed at in German, those vocals in that song are one of those things as they are a demonic sounding voice screaming at me in German. #2 was pretty good all around. Some sick guitar combined with decent vocals, a little lacking in the bass range for my taste (but do remember that I am fairly accustomed to funk and other bass heavy genres)  but not bad at all... 

Edited by Jimmy Carter

#1 was great, until the vocals started. Few things in life are quite as terrifying as being screamed at in German, those vocals in that song are one of those things as they are a demonic sounding voice screaming at me in German. #2 was pretty good all around. Some sick guitar combined with decent vocals, a little lacking in the bass range for my taste (but do remember that I am fairly accustomed to funk and other bass heavy genres) but not bad at all...

Well number one is actually Norwegian, the lyrics are in English. Like I said, many people can't handle it. Number two on the other hoof IS German. Since you liked number two, I don't know of many power metal bands, sorry I can't help you there :/

Well number one is actually Norwegian, the lyrics are in English. Like I said, many people can't handle it. Number two on the other hoof IS German. Since you liked number two, I don't know of many power metal bands, sorry I can't help you there :/

Curses! Foiled again by the powers that be! Ah well, at least I have something to look into further during my excessive amounts of spare time. Thank you for this enlightening experience, and once again, I apologize if I in any way offended/hurt you in my earlier posts.

Curses! Foiled again by the powers that be! Ah well, at least I have something to look into further during my excessive amounts of spare time. Thank you for this enlightening experience, and once again, I apologize if I in any way offended/hurt you in my earlier posts.

No problem, all the songs I posted span from the years 1987-2008 (just in case you were curious ;)) Anyways, how old or new a song is irrelevant as long as it's good.

Most of it probably stems from the fact that pop music of yesteryear wasn't as homogenous as it is today. Of course, music from that era has also been sifted through as well. My hypothesis is that radio has changed since then too. Before, you had a lot of independent stations doing their own thing. Now they're all owned by a few corporations and as such its a money grab. The 2 stations in my area that I "listen" to (and by that I mean someone else turned on a radio) are both owned by I Heart Radio. One is "classic" rock, the other being "modern" rock and there is bleedover on the playlists. Until something like Pandora or Spotify is commonplace, I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Edited by A Blithering Div

Most of it probably stems from the fact that pop music of yesteryear wasn't as homogenous as it is today. Of course, music from that era has also been sifted through as well. My hypothesis is that radio has changed since then too. Before, you had a lot of independent stations doing their own thing. Now they're all owned by a few corporations and as such its a money grab. The 2 stations in my area that I "listen" to (and by that I mean someone else turned on a radio) are both owned by I Heart Radio. One is "classic" rock, the other being "modern" rock and there is bleedover on the playlists. Until something like Pandora or Spotify is commonplace, I don't see it changing anytime soon.

To be honest, I don't even bother listening to the radio. Ninetynine percent of the time I like to get the album as a whole. That's just the way I am.

I guess people complain that music seems bad today because well when you are comparing great artists like the o jays, Bruce springsting, the Beatles, the rolling stones, and kiss compared to  skrillex, justin beiber Jonas brothers and milley Cyrus and most of the pop and rock music today. It does kind of seem like music has kind of lost its groove, soul and or meaning. I mean listin to classic hip hop like tupac, apache, or Wu tang clan compared to lil wang drake or boozy. It seems to be less about where they grew up or about the life and more about them being on the top. I guess music is kind of losing its value.

(edited)

I guess people complain that music seems bad today because well when you are comparing great artists like the o jays, Bruce springsting, the Beatles, the rolling stones, and kiss compared to skrillex, justin beiber Jonas brothers and milley Cyrus and most of the pop and rock music today. It does kind of seem like music has kind of lost its groove, soul and or meaning. I mean listin to classic hip hop like tupac, apache, or Wu tang clan compared to lil wang drake or boozy. It seems to be less about where they grew up or about the life and more about them being on the top. I guess music is kind of losing its value.

If you think music has lost it's "soul, meaning and value", I think you should check out the songs I posted above. Although, that last one was an 80's song. But you should check out the first three.(The ones by Children of Bodom, Opeth and Electric Wizard.) Edited by AtDawnTheySquee

If you think music has lost it's "soul, meaning and value", I think you should check out the songs I posted above. Although, that last one was an 80's song. But you should check out the first three.

Not my type of music to be honest. I am kinda picky when it comes to my music especially when it is newer the older the better with me. For example I love any music made before 1980 yes even the disco music that was not crap it was gold compared to todays music. then again I am a person who loves to have lots of soul and groove in my music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1SbEf1SneY

These are song genres I tend to like the most. I still like metal music its just I am a vintage fan to be honest.

• Brohoof 1

Not my type of music to be honest. I am kinda picky when it comes to my music especially when it is newer the older the better with me. For example I love any music made before 1980 yes even the disco music that was not crap it was gold compared to todays music. then again I am a person who loves to have lots of soul and groove in my music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1SbEf1SneY

These are song genres I tend to like the most. I still like metal music its just I am a vintage fan to be honest.

Yeeeeaaa... I can't help you. I'm not into soul or disco, it's a bit too... "funky" for my taste. You said that you're picky about newer music, what do you mean by that?

Yeeeeaaa... I can't help you. I'm not into soul or disco, it's a bit too... "funky" for my taste. You said that you're picky about newer music, what do you mean by that?

Well most of the newer music seems just to sound to I don't know kind of how much sex I am going to have with you. Or I got all this hoes and or money it seems just to be people bragging on and on about themselves rather than bragging about their love or respect for one and another and stuff. I think the message is kind of lost  and don't worry I have some music that is pretty more normal for well people into rock music lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhzF2K2b7Xo

these were golden ages of rock music for me.

imo, not all music nowadays are bad and not all music of the yesteryears are good, it all depends on what yo happen to be listening to. Both bad and good music exist in both eras (or should I say, ALL ERAS?), therefore, I am neutral about the topic.

• Brohoof 1

Well most of the newer music seems just to sound to I don't know kind of how much sex I am going to have with you. Or I got all this hoes and or money it seems just to be people bragging on and on about themselves rather than bragging about their love or respect for one and another and stuff. I think the message is kind of lost and don't worry I have some music that is pretty more normal for well people into rock music lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhzF2K2b7Xo

these were golden ages of rock music for me.

But, Kiss sung about stuff like partying and sex. None of the songs that I posted were about having sex with a bunch of people. But if that's what you like, well I can't change that.
  • Brohoof 1

But, Kiss sung about stuff like partying and sex. None of the songs that I posted were about having sex with a bunch of people. But if that's what you like, well I can't change that.

Kiss was a glam band but they never how shall we say it said I'm gonna fuck you or openly described about having sex lick it up was probably the closest they came to that border. I dunno it just feels like so much of the music lost the rift or the sound to it that made it sound golden nowadays. I mean I hear carly ray jebson play the song I just met you which I swear I hear it and I enter lol mode because of my friend. still I kind of miss the days where your music had to sound good to be played on the radio stations.