Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Sun or Moon

Gourgeist

Sun and moon debate  

131 users have voted

1. 1. Sun or Moon?

• Sun
    • Moon

I'll take the moon. The sun should go hide behind clouds for all eternity. Every time it shows itself it gets unbearably hot... Even when it's only 70 degrees. Everytime I think of a sunny day I just think of those awfully hot days where there's no wind and it's incredibly humid.

I can't stand the sun. And I can't stand that it's Spring and all I have to "look forward to" is heat for several months. -_-

I'll take the moon over the sun. The sun really hurts my eyes and makes it unbearably hot at times. Seriously, my perfect days are when the sky is filled with clouds (rainy days are the best).

I've never seen a solar eclipse firsthand but it looks really awesome on tv. Lunar eclipses (which I have seen) are beautiful. So, yeah, I choose the moon biggrin.png.

I prefer the moon over the sun, definately! Whist the sun does indeed light and heat the earth, the moon just has has its own beauty that really stands out to me, especially when it's either full or in an eclipse....That, and I'm more active at night than I am during the day!

• Brohoof 1

Well, i cannot live without of these choices.

I believe that i prefer the sun because it's more cheerful and makes me feel more active.
But as for the moon, It makes me feel more calm and the weather gets little bit cooler.
That's my opinion! :)

I personally prefer the moon, seeing as I'm a huge night owl. Most of the time I'm out with friends, I leave the house at about 11 at night. Other than that, the only sun I get is when I'm walking to the car to go to work.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't want to get too close to the sun and sunny days can become unbearably hot.  With that said, if there was no sun, I wouldn't be thinking about the moon or anything else.  None of us would. 

I don't know if the moon got a song dedicated to it in the G1 cartoon, but the sun certainly did.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU8bQzzkV2A

The sun? Ha, no!

The sun is a star. Not unique because there are millions of other G2 stars out there. Is doing nuclear fusion and keeping us alive, but I don't really take interest in the sun. I love the moon because it was a part of the earth. It is a beautiful looking body in the vacuum of space. The sun also keeps the moon lit, but this isn't about whether one is more important than the other.

Is about preference in liking. I just happen to love the moon more.

• Brohoof 1

The sun. I LOVE the feeling of the warmth from the sun! I was born in the summer and feel the most active and energized during the day, especially during Spring and Summer. Not to say I have anything against the moon. I just like the sun better. Now that I think about it. Maybe that's why out of the two celestial sovereigns, I like Celestia better. She represents what I find more comfort in.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

Well for one the moon doesn't emit its own light, it simply reflects the light that the Sun emits. (Random fact that I'd just like to throw out there)

For me the only time I can stand the Sun is at sunset, where the sky is a pinky-orangey tone and it isn't so hot. But then again I don't think that the moon is beautiful without the rest of the night-time sky to go along with it, which, unfortunately, I don't get to see often in England.

But if I had to choose a favourite it would have to be the moon when it is accompanied by the stars at night.

astro01.jpg

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

The first episode of MLP was a lie Celestia should have been the jealous one but seriously the sun isn't nice to look at but without it the moon would invisible right so there best together and should both be loved instead of trying to promote one over the other cough* lunar republic, Solar empire cough*

Edited by SkullCrusherX

I love them both? Without the sun we'd suffocate. 

But I gotta say the moon is much more mysterious and beautiful. Plus, it wouldn't be right if Luna was banished to the sun. I don't think we'd ever see her again.

• Brohoof 1

I'm more of a moon person, honestly. (And not because of Nightmare Moon, although she is one of my favorite ponies). 

I always loved the way the moon looks and I HATE sunlight, I just hate how hot it can get and stuff.

Celestia can suck it, Luna wins any day.

I prefer the moon because I prefer night-time, when even busy cities seem more peaceful, staring up at the night sky and feeling like you're the only person on earth, it's just awesome. I love the cool night air too and riding my motorbike at night.

(edited)

Moon.
It to me, represents the first real leap on mankind's inevitable journey away from Earth, and the solar system.
"No longer are stars just distant camp fires in the vastness of the night sky, but real, and viable destinations to which we're destined to travel", I heard someone once say. 

Edited by Sickman

I think I like the Moon better, it should really be appreciated more. But the Sun is necessary if we want life on Earth, because it starts the whole food chain so we can live. :3

• Brohoof 1

Figured this was appropriate.

I love both day and night, But there's just something about moonlight I like, it's a different light from the sun. The twilight that you see at dawn and dusk  can be really cool to look at as well. I love the outdoors, and I do most of my biking during the day. Night rides are fun though as well.

I've also dreamed of going to the moon, even though I know it'll never happen. and the sun is a huge radioactive ball of fire.

So, my choice is, moon is best, even if the sun gives life and all that jazz, you can't directly look at it....and a Lunar eclipse is just awesome.

new_lunar_republic_emblem_by_metrukuta-d

• Brohoof 1

I have to be real here. There is no point for me liking the moon more than the sun, sure at night the moon is nice to have. However, the sun does so much more. It provides daylight so we can move around easier, it allows us hope, it allows plants to grow. The moon just illuminates the night sky somewhat, and it's not even visible all the time. It doesn't do much in the way of, "Nuture and grow." It simply affects the tides and not much more.

Sun > Moon

I do think the moon is cooler. However, I only comes up at night. Night is scary. I don't exactly know why, I just like the sun more. I guess it just seems more pleasant and happy to me.

Definitely the Moon. I love the night, Luna's my favorite pony, and the Moon's light doesn't drown out the beauty of the stars. :3

Still, I do love both. Living where I do, both are often obscured by clouds, so when either emerges it is extremely beautiful and refreshing. The Sun's presence, for me, brings a kind of cheerfulness and 'shallow' glee, kind of like Pinkie Pie-style happiness. However, the Moon's presence brings me a deep sense of joy and contentedness, a calmness and relaxation.

I love both, but I wuv teh moon moar. :P

My shunt acts like a heatsink and dumps the heat right to my brain, making me very susceptible to overheating, dizzy spells, and blackouts.

Plus the heat sucks, and my eyes are sensitive to bright light.

(edited)

I think we all owe the sun a little bit more respect than we give it :P

It has almost perfect properties and is at the perfect distance for life to thrive here on earth.  How do you think life got most of it's energy to begin?  The sun seems to be overlooked by this community because of Luna junkies.   :P  (partially kidding)

Plus, our moon is boring.  It's just a plain white ball of rock, too far away for me to admire fully without a telescope.  Also, it never looks as beautiful as they make it seem in photos or movies.  More moons or moons of different sizes, colors and orbital periods/distances would be quite the sight, but I guess we have to stick with the one we got.

Yeah, tides are important but we can actually live without them.  (believe it or not)

why can't we have a moon like this?   :(  Sure, it would pull the earth into a slight binary orbit (assuming it's closer and more massive) due to the equation

Force of gravity =   (6.67E-11 or G)(Mass earth)(Mass moon)  //  (Radius, or distance between the two object's centers of mass)^2(squared)

post-6560-0-54553900-1374039644_thumb.jpeg

The Earth and this hypothetical moon would have a secondary orbit around the center of mass of the new system.  (Or the center of mass of both bodies combined)

*see figure*

NOT TO SCALE FOR THIS HYPOTHETICAL.

post-6560-0-31306700-1374039834.gif

(System center of mass as red dot)

This new orbit would mess up the length of our days.  Either making them shorter or longer.  The Earth's tilt may be disrupted as well.

FIG 1.  Bethesda Softwork's The Elder Scroll's V SKYRIM,

FIG 2.  WIKEPEDIA (Double planet)

Overall, Sun is too important.  I side with Sun.

Edited by John

Even though our own little G2V star provides the light and warmth, or overwhelming heat, for our planet. I'll have to side with our moon for personal views, simply because it's just so full of awe! Especially on nights where it's accompanied by the millions upon millions upon billions, where am I getting at? Right! The many stars of the universe!

Though... An eclipse...

01-queensland-australia-eclipse_61235_60

THAT is truely amazing!

I'd really have to say I like them equally, each with their own beauty.

I like the Moon, no doubt, but if it weren't for the Sun, I wouldn't be alive. Nor would anyone else. Or anything, for that matter. And the Earth wouldn't even exist.  :huh:

Granted, the same can be said of the Moon, but the Sun was much more direct in its influence.

But the Moon is much better to look at.